Lied to a physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han0325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lied to my physician about my mcat score.. He is writing me a recommendation.
What should I do?

Should i lie about it when adcom asks and say that he messed up or...ask him not to include about my academics or..... just tell him the truth?

Members don't see this ad.

I lied to my physician about my mcat score.. He is writing me a recommendation.
What should I do?

Should i lie about it when adcom asks and say that he messed up or...?
Confess, or don't use the letter. Or (preferably) both.
There is nothing about the second lie that I like. In fact, the second lie is worse. It shows malice aforethought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
The letter is most likely useless/not very helpful anyways.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely dig yourself into a bigger hole and keep lying

Reactions: 23 users
If he needed your MCAT score to write you a letter, chances are it wasn't going to be a very useful letter, anyway. Don't use it. And also, don't lie anymore.

Reactions: 10 users
Why would he write your MCAT score in the letter? He probably knows that's already in your application... Kind of a silly thing to write in a letter. But yeah, maybe don't use the letter?

Why would he write your MCAT score in the letter? He probably knows that's already in your application... Kind of a silly thing to write in a letter. But yeah, maybe don't use the letter?
They like to emphasize the applicant's strengths.
Depending on the amount of OP's exaggeration, the lie may be the centerpiece of the letter!

Reactions: 9 users
How much did you stretch it?
Nonetheless, don't use it. If you had to lie to make him revere you somewhat, it's probably not going to be a letter worth using.

Lie & deny until you die. JK

Don't confess you will dig yourself a bigger hole. Just don't do it again, no reason to lie about that stuff

Reactions: 1 users
Another thing you should think about, cause it relates to another thread that I recently saw here. Do not get into a habit of committing dishonest conduct as you did here. If you are caught lying in a more serious incident (Residency Interview etc.) you could seriously impact your life. Be careful.

He hasn't written it yet.. should i just ask him to write about the clinical experience instead of my academics (including MCAT)
It's been 2 weeks since I last saw him, I was hoping he forgets...

Members don't see this ad :)
He hasn't written it yet.. should i just ask him to write about the clinical experience instead of my academics (including MCAT)
Na man leave it. Trust me

I hear "the truth will set you free..." However it's your decision and you'll ultimately have to live with your choice.

You don't think that sounds suspicious? Cause it sure sounds suspect to me.

Felt unconfident about my mcat score...

Felt unconfident about my mcat score...

Well, what did you tell him you got and what did you actually get? We have to know!

Reactions: 2 users
Lying will not get you anywhere. Let me describe it this way:

When a mouse sees a mousetrap, it keeps licking the peanut butter off the trigger, being careful to make sure nothing is there to hurt it. It gets more confident, then starts licking more. Then it thinks it can get more by jumping on the trigger and licking on the inner portion, and SNAP, they are dead.

This is basically how lying works. You think you can get away with it, and you sometimes do, but one day you make a bad mistake and your future is gone.

Spill the stats! How much difference are we talking here?

Are you kidding?
Why would you jeopardize your relationship with the physician over something stupid like that??
Only 3 POINTS? Why even bother?
It's not like you had a 27 and you said you had a 40.

See... now you if you say "thirty" and "thirty three" really fast, they sound close. I'm not saying anything further...

Reactions: 6 users
Don't confess, just don't use the letter, If you confess, there's no way he will write you a good letter, and he might send a bad one.
If you use it, there's a chance he will talk about your great mcat score. Anyone reading that will discount the letter, so it won't help.
Or, he might mention the 33. Of course, they will assume he heard or remembered wrong. But what if they ask you? You will lie and say you told him 30.
But now you have drawn undue attention to your application and your mcat score, and perhaps someone will think you were lying.
So, this letter can't possibly help, and could hurt. But if by "your doctor" you mean either your personal or family physician, that letter is worse than useless anyway. If it's a doctor you shadowed with, it's almost definitely useless. So don't use it, don't worry about it, and stop lying. Not only is lying dangerous, but you're obviously not good at it.

You lied to me? I'm not letting you do the rectal exams anymore. Get experience somewhere else.

Yes, I don't see why asking him to focus on your clinical experience would be a bad decision. You want each of your letters to focus on a certain area as opposed to being general letters. You would want a professor or research mentor to want to write about academics. I'm assuming you shadowed this physician? I don't see why it's not reasonable to ask him to focus on the clinical experience. You could tell him that you're having a professor or teacher talk about your academics.

First of all lying to your recommendation letter writer is not a good idea.

second.... did you really lie about having a 33 over a 30? errmmm........

a 30 is a great score lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Yes, I don't see why asking him to focus on your clinical experience would be a bad decision. You want each of your letters to focus on a certain area as opposed to being general letters. You would want a professor or research mentor to want to write about academics. I'm assuming you shadowed this physician? I don't see why it's not reasonable to ask him to focus on the clinical experience. You could tell him that you're having a professor or teacher talk about your academics.
They love to include this stuff. All it takes is that inclusion to tank his application.

Even so, they love to include this stuff. All it takes is that inclusion to tank his application.

Yes, I understand there might be a possibility that the physician may mention the score. Really depends on the person and how much he follows what you tell him.

Uhhhh how about you take a gap year to mature while establishing a new relationship to get a new letter. You aren't ready for medicine; you sound extremely immature.

first - stop lying. it's a bad habit.
second - why would you ask your personal physician for a letter??

Reactions: 1 user
Damn...there have been a lot of threads about lying/cheating on this forum lately...makes my skin itch when I think about the possibility of some of you being my future classmates....

Reactions: 3 users
Damn...there have been a lot of threads about lying/cheating on this forum lately...makes my skin itch when I think about the possibility of some of you being my future classmates....
Guarantee some are. Cheating is rampant all over the place. Dozens of people seem to get the sudden urge to use the rest room ten minutes into every chem/bio/orgo test...

I knew it was a given in high school (how many different ways can I sneak formulas into my physics test?), but I figured it would be almost non-existent in college and completely non-existent in medical school, given how serious the repercussions are.

Oh my god some of you need to get off your high horse. So you lied, whatever, just don't use the letter since LOEs from people you shadowed are useless anyway. And if it somehow comes up just lie and be confident about it. No ones going to assume you lied unless you give them a reason to

I knew it was a given in high school (how many different ways can I sneak formulas into my physics test?), but I figured it would be almost non-existent in college and completely non-existent in medical school, given how serious the repercussions are.

this optimistic view on life is honorable, but do you actually believe this??

Haha I really don't think I have an optimistic view on life at all (I'm notoriously pessimistic, actually). I've been out of school for a few years, so perhaps I just naively expect a certain level of maturity and professionalism from future colleagues.

In high school, sure. Hell, I had physics formulas stashed in my calculator for almost every test back then. In college? Absolutely not. I'm aware that it occurs in college, but I personally wasn't willing to risk a permanent mark on my academic career while I was living on loans to get me to a higher degree. Same principle for medical school- you're hugely investing in your career, why risk it?

The point is that lying is unnecessary and potentially hugely damaging. Trust is a big deal in any career, but especially in medicine.

How big of a lie? Did you say you got a 34 instead of a 24? I applaud your cojones, despite them having landed you in somewhat of a pickle.
I kind of don't see why your physician needs to know your MCAT score anyways. Isn't it redundant to mention that in a letter?
Anyway, it's probably in your best interest to clear this up with your physician. If he writes the wrong score in the letter, it makes him look sloppy and it makes you look like a liar.

I'm not here to comment on this situation. I just noticed I few comments I want to address.

A 33 is a significantly better score than a 30. Saying it's a trivial difference is not true. If a school's median is a 33 and you have a 30, you have a small chance of getting in.

READ: I am on no way saying this lie was justified. Just that the difference between a 30 and a 33 is pretty darn significant. It's the difference between the 78th and the 90th percentile.

Best advice: don't use the letter and learn from this mistake.

You know those annoying pre-meds that lie about their exam grades and their GPAs? Yeah, don't be one of those.

Almost non existent in college

tumblr_mqpifljNP61sxviy0o1_250.gif

Seriously it's everywhere. And there's essentially zero chance of getting caught. They can't check if students have cell phones in their pocket at the exam room. They can't stop you from going to the bath room. They certainly can't catch you looking **** up in your stall. Such a basic thing, but how would they ever get you?

Actually, at my university you are not allowed to leave the exam room unless you are finished with the exam. There are also 4-6 people monitoring exams from all parts of the lecture hall. It would be pretty difficult to pull it off, though not impossible. This isn't the point of this thread, though.

Sometimes I lie for no reason, it just happens. It's very hard to back track once you lie or you'll make yourself look stupid/awkward so I just go with it.

If OP told the doc, "I got a 33 err I mean I got a 30", perhaps OPs perception is that the doc will think less of him so just went along with the lie. idk