Life After DO Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMerced

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had insight or experience with life after DO residency; How difficult is it to establish a practice as a DO? Do DO's face bias from prospective patients? What about work opportunities in medical groups like Kaiser? Is there any inherent discrimination against the DO degree in groups like these?

Osteopathic medicine has caught my eye and I'm interested in learning more about it and its place in our medical community!

Members don't see this ad.

:beat:
searchy, searchy.....this topic has been addressed ad nauseum

I must suck at searching forums because I couldn't quite find threads on this topic. Anybody willing to throw out a key word or something?

Thanks for your response.

**Edit
Tried a different search and found what I was looking for!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I must suck at searching forums because I couldn't quite find threads on this topic. Anybody willing to throw out a key word or something?

Thanks for your response.

**Edit
Tried a different search and found what I was looking for!
Thanks

Without getting into inane details/looking at the question from all possible outcomes ... your life will be identical to anyone coming out of an MD residency in the same field. Unless I'm mistaken or someone else wants to comment about hospitals/groups hiring people coming from AOA residencies.

Broke, in massive debt, tired, old but still able to compete on a relatively level playing field with MD's for positions in hospitals? Great, where do I sign up?

joking aside, thanks Jagger that is the kind of info I was looking for. Turns out my second search turned up a bunch of stuff related to the original question, but didn't quite touch on it... so I would appreciate any more insight and especially links to resources. details would be nice, but i'm not looking for a neurotic breakdown of every angle lol.

Thanks Jagger

Broke, in massive debt, tired, old but still able to compete on a relatively level playing field with MD's for positions in hospitals? Great, where do I sign up?

joking aside, thanks Jagger that is the kind of info I was looking for. Turns out my second search turned up a bunch of stuff related to the original question, but didn't quite touch on it... so I would appreciate any more insight and especially links to resources. details would be nice, but i'm not looking for a neurotic breakdown of every angle lol.

Thanks Jagger

Some more details about you may help with the issue:

- I assume you're in CA based on the screenname (if not, where0
-what field do you want to go into (PC, surgery, etc)
-what type of environment do you see yourself practicing in (hospital, private practice, etc)
-where do you want to do your residency

??

Without getting into inane details/looking at the question from all possible outcomes ... your life will be identical to anyone coming out of an MD residency in the same field. Unless I'm mistaken or someone else wants to comment about hospitals/groups hiring people coming from AOA residencies.

Still a little bit of discrimination in my neck of the woods:

DO Advocacy Continues at Carolinas Healthcare System

As we have reported in the past, Carolinas Healthcare System (CHS), the largest hospital system in North Carolina, still does not recognize osteopathic post-graduate education. CHS, based in Charlotte, has refused to amend its bylaws despite repeated advocacy attempts on the part of NCOMA and the AOA. Unfortunately, the only remaining avenues for change seemed to be legal proceedings.

Recently, however, CHS has called for meetings to discuss the issue, the first of which occurred on June 12. The committee heard testimony on the systems of osteopathic post-graduate education and sought to compare this to ACGME training. The AOA was represented by Michael Opipari, DO, chair of the AOA Council on Postgraduate Training.

Dr. Opipari outlined how osteopathic training programs are evaluated and approved by specialty organizations to ensure standards within each program, a process analogous to that of the ACGME. He further noted that osteopathic training was formally recognized by many state and federal statutes, as well as by Medicare, the VA system, and the military medical corps. It was also pointed out that some prominent allopathic systems, such as Henry Ford in Detroit and the Cleveland Clinic, had incorporated osteopathic training programs into their systems when previously osteopathic hospitals were either merged or acquired.

Dr. Opipari also noted that most allopathic specialty colleges recognize AOA training and certification on an equal basis with the ACGME/ABMS system for purposes of membership and fellowship status.
The CHS committee requested additional information on the osteopathic board certification process. A future conference call is planned.

No decisions have yet been made on this important issue. The NCOMA and the AOA continue to work hard on this matter, which affects a DO's future opportunities to practice in the CHS system. CHS operates 25 hospitals in North and South Carolina.
Affected DO's are urged to make themselves known to the NCOMA so their voice can be heard in our advocacy efforts.

CHS believes that there are only a few DO's involved, however, according to the NC Medical Board, there are 65 licensed DO's practicing in Charlotte alone, and 81 new licenses were granted to DO's in North Carolina since the beginning of 2009. How many more DO's would choose to come to North Carolina?

thats a statement from NCOMA

@JaggerPlate
Thanks for the help!

Yes, I am a CA resident, though I'm open to go out of state for med. school. I haven't committed to a particular specialty yet, but my experiences with emergency medicine have me biased towards that direction. I'm eye balling internal medicine as well.

I don't know where I want to do residency; I intend to pursue residency in areas that are dying for residents in whatever specialty I finally end up pursuing (nothing like long hard practice/large patient volume to sharpen your skills!)

As for practice, I'd like to do some time in a hospital before making some moves to set up a private practice. I intend to apply for an MD/MBA or DO/MBA (not trying to shotgun my school choices, but I am applying in both systems)

I'll add that I'm an undergraduate senior and at this point much of what I've written is subject to change :cool:

@ncguy
Thanks for the heads up on the CHS, I'll look up AOA advocacy links for more info.

Still a little bit of discrimination in my neck of the woods:

DO Advocacy Continues at Carolinas Healthcare System

As we have reported in the past, Carolinas Healthcare System (CHS), the largest hospital system in North Carolina, still does not recognize osteopathic post-graduate education. CHS, based in Charlotte, has refused to amend its bylaws despite repeated advocacy attempts on the part of NCOMA and the AOA. Unfortunately, the only remaining avenues for change seemed to be legal proceedings.

Recently, however, CHS has called for meetings to discuss the issue, the first of which occurred on June 12. The committee heard testimony on the systems of osteopathic post-graduate education and sought to compare this to ACGME training. The AOA was represented by Michael Opipari, DO, chair of the AOA Council on Postgraduate Training.

Dr. Opipari outlined how osteopathic training programs are evaluated and approved by specialty organizations to ensure standards within each program, a process analogous to that of the ACGME. He further noted that osteopathic training was formally recognized by many state and federal statutes, as well as by Medicare, the VA system, and the military medical corps. It was also pointed out that some prominent allopathic systems, such as Henry Ford in Detroit and the Cleveland Clinic, had incorporated osteopathic training programs into their systems when previously osteopathic hospitals were either merged or acquired.

Dr. Opipari also noted that most allopathic specialty colleges recognize AOA training and certification on an equal basis with the ACGME/ABMS system for purposes of membership and fellowship status.
The CHS committee requested additional information on the osteopathic board certification process. A future conference call is planned.

No decisions have yet been made on this important issue. The NCOMA and the AOA continue to work hard on this matter, which affects a DO's future opportunities to practice in the CHS system. CHS operates 25 hospitals in North and South Carolina.
Affected DO's are urged to make themselves known to the NCOMA so their voice can be heard in our advocacy efforts.

CHS believes that there are only a few DO's involved, however, according to the NC Medical Board, there are 65 licensed DO's practicing in Charlotte alone, and 81 new licenses were granted to DO's in North Carolina since the beginning of 2009. How many more DO's would choose to come to North Carolina?

thats a statement from NCOMA

I've actually heard complaints about NC before.

Hello ...

If you're from CA, it probably means you want to stay or return to CA. If you're shooting for ER or IM, these specialties are very well represented with DOs in ACGME (MD) residencies. Completing one of these residencies would solve everything and get rid of the (probably unfounded) fears you have about an AOA (DO) residency. What are you planning on using the MBA for?

@JaggerPlate
Thanks for the help!

Yes, I am a CA resident, though I'm open to go out of state for med. school. I haven't committed to a particular specialty yet, but my experiences with emergency medicine have me biased towards that direction. I'm eye balling internal medicine as well.

I don't know where I want to do residency; I intend to pursue residency in areas that are dying for residents in whatever specialty I finally end up pursuing (nothing like long hard practice/large patient volume to sharpen your skills!)

As for practice, I'd like to do some time in a hospital before making some moves to set up a private practice. I intend to apply for an MD/MBA or DO/MBA (not trying to shotgun my school choices, but I am applying in both systems)

I'll add that I'm an undergraduate senior and at this point much of what I've written is subject to change :cool:

@ncguy
Thanks for the heads up on the CHS, I'll look up AOA advocacy links for more info.

Still a little bit of discrimination in my neck of the woods....

Not quite sure I understand it because I opened up their website and found quite a few DOs on staff who completed osteopathic residencies. These guys are examples:

http://www.carolinasmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=96&action=detail&ref=592
http://www.carolinasmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=96&action=detail&ref=2695
http://www.carolinasmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=96&action=detail&ref=2920

If you ever thought there would be a problem with getting a residency or establishing a sucessful practice as a DO think again. One Dr I am thinking of off the top of my head is Dr. Sam Gershenbaum, a DO from Miami and highly acclaimed plastic surgeon who has operated on a whole host of celebrities and appeared on television shows (Hogan know's best is one of several he has appeared on). He seems to be just like Christian Troy on Nip Tuck accept he has a DO. Now you may not want to do plastic surgery, but I am trying to illustrate that the DO has not held people back at all, even with the hype about the MD prestige title, DOs can still make it on to television programs, be big shots, and obtain any speciality in medicine and not make a difference in pay in comparison to the MD.

If you ever thought there would be a problem with getting a residency or establishing a sucessful practice as a DO think again. One Dr I am thinking of off the top of my head is Dr. Sam Gershenbaum, a DO from Miami and highly acclaimed plastic surgeon who has operated on a whole host of celebrities and appeared on television shows (Hogan know's best is one of several he has appeared on). He seems to be just like Christian Troy on Nip Tuck accept he has a DO. Now you may not want to do plastic surgery, but I am trying to illustrate that the DO has not held people back at all, even with the hype about the MD prestige title, DOs can still make it on to television programs, be big shots, and obtain any speciality in medicine and not make a difference in pay in comparison to the MD.

Dr Gershenbaum is a baller. I started following his practice after seeing him on the Hogan show and noticing he was a DO. If I remember correctly, hes a PCOM grad and BC in PRS by the AOA. He's definitely the flashy, Christian Troy type plastic surgeon, but he seems like he's well trained, does good work, and does really good business. A few years ago, they were thinking about launching a show on E! called Dr Miami (when Dr 90210 was in it's height of popularity), and if you search Dr Miami on youtube, you can see the little segment they shot with him while deciding to do the pilot. It was scrapped, but he's been on VH1 shows, MTV shows, etc. Just goes to show what you can do, if you want and have the skill/talent, with a DO.

EDIT:

here is his site: http://aventuracosmeticsurgery.com/index.cfm/PageID/1887
here is the dr miami pilot thing: http://blip.tv/file/1705027

He also has a ton more media stuff on his site.

Dr Gershenbaum is a baller. I started following his practice after seeing him on the Hogan show and noticing he was a DO. If I remember correctly, hes a PCOM grad and BC in PRS by the AOA. He's definitely the flashy, Christian Troy type plastic surgeon, but he seems like he's well trained, does good work, and does really good business. A few years ago, they were thinking about launching a show on E! called Dr Miami (when Dr 90210 was in it's height of popularity), and if you search Dr Miami on youtube, you can see the little segment they shot with him while deciding to do the pilot. It was scrapped, but he's been on VH1 shows, MTV shows, etc. Just goes to show what you can do, if you want and have the skill/talent, with a DO.

EDIT:

here is his site: http://aventuracosmeticsurgery.com/index.cfm/PageID/1887
here is the dr miami pilot thing: http://blip.tv/file/1705027

He also has a ton more media stuff on his site.

Yeh Jagger I am glad I thought of this as an example. I get the impression that a lot of people simply downgrade the DO and think that people care about the letters after your name. This is definitely not true if someone can be a successful "TV doctor" and especially in the stereotypically superficial world of cosmetic plastic surgery. If nobody poorly labeled his degree, then anybody can do just fine with the DO. He must have plenty of skill, so it shows you that if you have the talent and the brains, the DO won’t hold you back from the prestigious residencies and specialties. By the way this guy seems to be around a lot of hot female friends, and they didn't mind.