Life's over!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got cha!

Was just informed my LDL is 156, TC 256. Married with kid, had to give up social life, freedom, games, sleep and even... *cough* :D Now I have to give up the last thing I hold dear and eat my veggies? What's next? Give up my underwear? :rolleyes:

You young'ens better enjoy while you can, because what they say about the longer you are married.... Is totally true. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Got cha!

Was just informed my LDL is 156, TC 256. Married with kid, had to give up social life, freedom, games, sleep and even... *cough* :D Now I have to give up the last thing I hold dear and eat my veggies? What's next? Give up my underwear? :rolleyes:

You young'ens better enjoy while you can, because what they say about the longer you are married.... Is totally true. :laugh:

lol Agreed. FYI - Veggie sausage is awesome in an omelette. Veggie burgers....meh...hit or miss.

Go get you some health!

Will do!
Everyone here might want to get a lipid screening. Just shows that you can't use age and weight to think everything is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will do!
Everyone here might want to get a lipid screening. Just shows that you can't use age and weight to think everything is fine.

Screw the lifestyle changes. Diet accounts for at most 15%. Get yourself on Lipitor for the LDL, cut the carbs for the triglycerides. Don't blame your wife for this. blame your parents.....

My cholesterol is terrible too. I thank my mother's side of family for that.

We try to change out at least one meal per week w/Boca/Morningstar products.

I'm not sure if you need to lose weight or if it's just your lipids, but if it is both, a low carb diet is the way to go. Which would you rather give up, the juicy cheeseburger, or that bland roll it's sitting on? The toast with your eggs, or the bacon?

Not enough to make a difference. Especially if the guy is not overweight. As opposed to Type-II DM, which you can control with diet and exercise, Cholesterol is best lowered with Lipitor. I don't discount diet & exercise, I just don't count on it to get more than 15% reduction in LDL or TC in a non obese person.

I'd rather give it a 6month shot (especailly since he's younger) than jump right to a statin (and the associated risk)

I'd rather give it a 6month shot (especailly since he's younger) than jump right to a statin (and the associated risk)

I have no trouble with giving it a shot but I bet you some fresh peppers & eggplant he'll be on statins in 6 mos....

Members don't see this ad :)
Not enough to make a difference. Especially if the guy is not overweight. As opposed to Type-II DM, which you can control with diet and exercise, Cholesterol is best lowered with Lipitor. I don't discount diet & exercise, I just don't count on it to get more than 15% reduction in LDL or TC in a non obese person.

You're starting to sound like you work for Pfizer, Ranbaxy, or Watson Mr. Old Timer....

I have no trouble with giving it a shot but I bet you some fresh peppers & eggplant he'll be on statins in 6 mos....

I think Old Timer is, more likely than not, gonna be right on this one.

I do an hour aerobic exercise every day. Why? Because I love food! It's my way of counter balancing that and is keeping the BMI just under 25. My co-workers jokes that I should be one of them asian competitive eaters on TV. But guess nothing lasts forever.

There is probably room to go down 20-30% on the cholesterol with diet change. There isn't much room for more exercise.

But old timer, I'm gonna start 500 mg of Niacin a day for the next 6 months. Hopefully that's enough with the diet change, and it should raise my healthy HDL number to ungodly levels. So don't put that money down on a statin just yet. :)

I'd just put the child up for adoption. That'd probably lower LDL a good 40% right there.

Maybe... Or I could divorce my wife.

When she cooks all those beef ribs and stuff, I thought it was because she loved me. I should've known that she's just after my life insurance. Bwahahaha

I think Old Timer is, more likely than not, gonna be right on this one.

I do an hour aerobic exercise every day. Why? Because I love food! It's my way of counter balancing that and is keeping the BMI just under 25. My co-workers jokes that I should be one of them asian competitive eaters on TV. But guess nothing lasts forever.

There is probably room to go down 20-30% on the cholesterol with diet change. There isn't much room for more exercise.

But old timer, I'm gonna start 500 mg of Niacin a day for the next 6 months. Hopefully that's enough with the diet change, and it should raise my healthy HDL number to ungodly levels. So don't put that money down on a statin just yet. :)

Where's your HDL at right now? It should already be relatively high with that much exercise. I'm not sure how much Niacin will help you. Could be an interesting experiment, though, to see how much it does help you.

And, "I do an hour aerobic exercise every day. Why? Because I love food!" :thumbup:

Where's your HDL at right now? It should already be relatively high with that much exercise.

It's good but not yet super. HDL 67. Strangely, wifie who never works out has great cholesterol number and HDL of 90! :rolleyes: Hopefully that niacin will put me up there.

It's all in the genes. Unless you eat rabbit food, you will take statins if you want to lower your LDL.
https://www.lipitor.com/patients/LIPITORforYou.aspx

Hmm only $4 eh, pretty cool. Thank for the link. Will ask for lipitor at the next appointment if diet + niacin doesn't do the trick.

P.S hmm, speaking of rabbit food, I'm holding a bowl of steamed carrot slices as we speak. Yes, thanks honey.... YUCK! :help:

Exercise is overrated. Genetics and diet are the keys. Exercise all you want and eat a crappy diet and youll go nowhere.

My family has hx of hypercholesterolemia. Not me.. eat oat meal for breakfast...no foofoo sugar added stuff...just plain. Eat almonds pecans and walnut throughout the day....eat fish or a small portion of meat with lots of veggies and nonabsorbable fiber for dinnwr. stay away from pork and starchy food. No bread. 3 months and youll lose a bunch of weight and your cholesterol will drop.

It's good but not yet super. HDL 67. Strangely, wifie who never works out has great cholesterol number and HDL of 90! :rolleyes

Nothing strange about it, your wife has much higher estrogen levels than you do. :) But if it makes you feel better, she'll lose that advantage after menopause.

I L-O-V-E bacon. So after eating it every day for months, my total cholesterol was almost 200. So I stopped and ate oatmeal every morning for a few months and everything went down drastically. My LDL, TG were less than 100, HDL also decreased though and it's probably because I exercise once or twice a year. But yup...I eat pretty unhealthy for the most part and my cholesterol is not too bad. At least for now anyway. Must be the genetics thing.

Exercise is overrated. Genetics and diet are the keys. Exercise all you want and eat a crappy diet and youll go nowhere.

My family has hx of hypercholesterolemia. Not me.. eat oat meal for breakfast...no foofoo sugar added stuff...just plain. Eat almonds pecans and walnut throughout the day....eat fish or a small portion of meat with lots of veggies and nonabsorbable fiber for dinnwr. stay away from pork and starchy food. No bread. 3 months and youll lose a bunch of weight and your cholesterol will drop.

Ghanging the applefritter + coffee breakfast to something healthier is already planed, will give your oat meal a try. Not sure about all that nuts, it'll just go on top of everything else I eat.

Wifie is helping/forcing the veggie and meat intake. But no starchy food? You know that you are asking an Asian to not eat rice right? :smuggrin:

Don't really need to lose a bunch of weight, but will update with new cholesterol numbers.

Anecdotal observation.....my pork loving male friends are all on statin.

Eat brown or wild rice and cut out noodle. It will lower ur risk of diabetes. No soda with corn syrup.

Almonds will lower ur cholesterol. Also eating nuts will keep u from gettin hungry. nuts and black coffee. Power lunch of a successful DOP.

Hmm...besides bacon, I don't really eat pork or beef. Mostly just chicken and fish. Not for diet reasons, but because I don't know how to cook with beef and pork. Rarely eat bread or rice. Hmm...Maybe I do eat healthy after all. There is an advantage to not really know how to cook lol. Ahh...I'm gonna live forever!!!

ok, ok, try eating some almonds, go for bad tasting brown rice, forget noodles pork and beef, eat more bland chicken and fish, consider taking estrogen and sex change...

Damn it, it still all boil down to: game over man! It's just giving up on one thing after another from now on.

Almonds will lower ur cholesterol. Also eating nuts will keep u from gettin hungry. nuts and black coffee. Power lunch of a successful DOP.

Who would have thought I'm already doing something right (coffee and almonds for lunch some days). I do oatmeal in the morning too! But also throw in homemade turkey sausage (much lower sodium than the store stuff).

ok, ok, try eating some almonds, go for bad tasting brown rice, forget noodles pork and beef, eat more bland chicken and fish, consider taking estrogen and sex change...

Damn it, it still all boil down to: game over man! It's just giving up on one thing after another from now on.

Let's make it a little less depressing:

• Eat some almonds
  • Cut the carbs (you don't have to go carb free)
  • Reduce the amount of beef and pork and don't fry it when you eat it.
  • Try chicken, turkey and fish (properly seasoned, they can be might tasty)
  • Learn to cook with olive oil
  • Reduce your trans fats to as close to zero as possible.
  • Learn how to roast and or saute your veggies. (Boiled are usually tasteless)

Dont forget pistachios, high dose green tea, and high dose fish oil guys! .. and dont forget all you guys with massive HDL counts , this counts as an inverse CV risk factor!

You Asian man haha. I could eat all day as well. Therpeutics class had me bring in my CBC... My LDL was 4 points higher than normal. Asians tend to have hypertension because of the salty food we eat.

You Asian man haha. I could eat all day as well. Therpeutics class had me bring in my CBC... My LDL was 4 points higher than normal. Asians tend to have hypertension because of the salty food we eat.
Check out the side of a bottle of soy sauce. It is outrageous, my "low sodium" sauce is like 600mg/tbsp, so I can't imagine the full strength.

Stock up on marinades

Ghanging the applefritter + coffee breakfast to something healthier is already planed, will give your oat meal a try. Not sure about all that nuts, it'll just go on top of everything else I eat.

Wifie is helping/forcing the veggie and meat intake. But no starchy food? You know that you are asking an Asian to not eat rice right? :smuggrin:

Don't really need to lose a bunch of weight, but will update with new cholesterol numbers.

Switching to brown rice could be a game changer for you. As a fellow Asian who ate white rice every day for years, I know it's not an easy thing to do. But eventually you won't miss the white rice. I find that I simply cannot eat as much brown rice as I did white. The fiber content makes you feel full quicker.
I too am was in the same boat as you. I workout, I'm skinny (5 '9 135 pounds), but cholesterol and triglycerides ran high. Switched to Brown rice a couple of years ago and reduced the sweets for a bit of improvement.
3 months ago, became vegetarian, and the numbers have improved already, particularly the triglycerides. And yes, I still enjoy eating!!! Life ain't over!

Just start taking Alli. That should do the trick!

you need to be on brand name lipitor

b/c the generic doesnt work as well:rolleyes:

View attachment Dinner time.jpg

Blah, my wife's got me down to eating this little bit. Starvation ration!

Yeah, I know it's white rice, only got 1 rice cooker, can't make my wife suffer with me. Right? :smuggrin: Also note the boiled veggies, somebody call poison control! :barf:

Breakfast changed to apple + coffee, but was hungry an hour later. And is healthiness was totally wiped out by the working lunch at red lobster. Huh.

Last edited:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/#axzz1nLzuyNRK

Take a look at the primal blueprint, there's good reason why the diseases of civilization are getting out of control. Lots o' misinformation out there.

Basically cut out gluten, added sugar, and all heavily processed food (especially vegetable oils). Go crazy with vegetables, eat a decent amount of meat, and some fruit and nuts. And the most hard to grasp notion for those inundated with the conventional wisdom of the standard American diet, lots of fat (from quality sources) is NOT bad for you.

Last edited:

Take a look at the primal blueprint, there's good reason why the diseases of civilization are getting out of control. Lots o' misinformation out there.

Basically cut out gluten, added sugar, and all heavily processed food (especially vegetable oils). Go crazy with vegetables, eat a decent amount of meat, and some fruit and nuts. And the most hard to grasp notion for those inundated with the conventional wisdom of the standard American diet, lots of fat (from quality sources) is NOT bad for you.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Got cha!

I know, it's finally time we have to take care of our health, fellow pharmacists. I need to exercise :smuggrin:

View attachment 18659

Blah, my wife's got me down to eating this little bit. Starvation ration!

Yeah, I know it's white rice, only got 1 rice cooker, can't make my wife suffer with me. Right? :smuggrin: Also note the boiled veggies, somebody call poison control! :barf:

Breakfast changed to apple + coffee, but was hungry an hour later. And is healthiness was totally wiped out by the working lunch at red lobster. Huh.

Dinner looks great :) Enjoy. You'll learn to like it. Oh, maybe eat something more substantial in the morning. We all need the energy to work. Now Work makes me barf :barf:

eat oat meal for breakfast...no foofoo sugar added stuff...just plain. Eat almonds pecans and walnut throughout the day....eat fish or a small portion of meat with lots of veggies and nonabsorbable fiber for dinnwr. stay away from pork and starchy food. No bread. 3 months and youll lose a bunch of weight and your cholesterol will drop.

Who knew you were Paleo (aside from the oatmeal), Z? :smuggrin:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Are you a CrossFitter, homeslice?