Quantcast

Light course load for MCAT studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooppooppoop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys!

I've done some looking on these forums regarding this topic but I was hoping to get some advice regarding my particular situation. Essentially, I am wondering if it is frowned upon for me to take a pretty light course load while I study for the MCAT.

I am a junior now and am planning on taking the MCAT next January (after my first semester of senior year). The semester before I take them MCAT I am planning to take Biochem, physics II, and another elective class. With physics lab, and research credit, and another 1 credit class I would be taking 13 or 14 credits this semester (12 is the minimum to be a full time student and 18 is the maximum before overloading). Although I would have a low-ish, but still decent number of credits, I would only be taking 3 real classes (5 is normal).

I am wondering if this is frowned upon. During this semester I will also be studying for the MCAT, working on two senior theses, volunteering, and maintaining my other extracurriculars. I just don't want to spread myself too thin with these things, so I hope to take this lighter course load.

Is this alright? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mclovin0351

It makes sense if you don't think about it
Reaction score
I would take as little as possible to maintain full time status but maximize mcat studying. Also I think it's a great move taking biochem right before the mcat since it's so pervasive.

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
Reaction score
The MCAT is huge, so it's definitely fine to reduce your credits. Many students do.

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had 13 hours: physics II (plus a one hour honors add-on), adv. cell & molec., biochem., and was in a lab that counted towards my credits. I made a schedule, stuck to it--studying about 3-4/5 hours a day--and ended up scoring a 525, so you can definitely do it! Prioritize the MCAT, don't fall behind in your courses, and you'll be in good shape.

Reactions: 1 users

aprilfools

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prioritize the MCAT.

This.

I scored a 519 and there were many times I prioritized the MCAT over my other classes (and I was still only taking 12 credits), even if I would have a test the next day. I definitely could have done better than a B+ in Biostats, but whats the difference between a B+ and an A in one or even 2 classes over the course of four years compared to doing very well on the MCAT?

pooppooppoop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Would you guys also recommend easing up a bit on the extracurriculars to really prioritize the MCAT then?

D

deleted804295

Is four classes and 13 credits too much? I'm basically done with my major and I'm taking psychology to be a full time student. If this is too much of a course load I can lop off psychology. My MCAT is my number 1 priority.

In Class

Philosophy
Genetics

Psychology course
Cell Bio

I've been taking 16-17 course loads this past year and I got all As in them. I would be able to get all As in these courses without the MCAT but I'm not sure with the MCAT.

Edit: revised to say 13 credits.

Last edited by a moderator: