Like med but not pre-med culture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SecretDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just a freshman at my college and I have a love hate relationship with the idea of medicine. I hate how everyone I talk to, when I ask them why they want to pursue med, say they want to do it for the money and for the prestige. I hate how people think that other careers in science are somehow "lesser" than being a doctor even though many of them don't really even know what its like to be a doctor. On the other hand, the older I get the more I fall in love with medicine. It started with my passion for biology and talent in physiology, and the fact that I've always been a leader in my community and a people person. I can also really relate to doctors that I have come across because I like to keep myself updated on the latest medical research. I just feel like I'm slowly discovering that medicine might be for me but honestly I'm so scared because I come from a family of engineers who have never really liked pre-meds and think it is way too much of a stressful career, but the thing is I like having a career that would keep me on my toes and allow me to use my scientific knowledge to apply it directly in helping people. I'm just not sure... Should I commit to this culture/label that I absolutely hate for a career that I would absolutley love? Or is it an indication that maybe med is not for me?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm just a freshman at my college and I have a love hate relationship with the idea of medicine. I hate how everyone I talk to, when I ask them why they want to pursue med, say they want to do it for the money and for the prestige. I hate how people think that other careers in science are somehow "lesser" than being a doctor even though many of them don't really even know what its like to be a doctor. On the other hand, the older I get the more I fall in love with medicine. It started with my passion for biology and talent in physiology, and the fact that I've always been a leader in my community and a people person. I can also really relate to doctors that I have come across because I like to keep myself updated on the latest medical research. I just feel like I'm slowly discovering that medicine might be for me but honestly I'm so scared because I come from a family of engineers who have never really liked pre-meds and think it is way too much of a stressful career, but the thing is I like having a career that would keep me on my toes and allow me to use my scientific knowledge to apply it directly in helping people. I'm just not sure... Should I commit to this culture/label that I absolutely hate for a career that I would absolutley love? Or is it an indication that maybe med is not for me?
As a college freshmen you have a talent for physiology, are leader in the community and up to date on the cutting edge medical research?

:eyebrow:

Reactions: 21 users
As a college freshmen you have a talent for physiology, are leader in the community and up to date on the cutting edge medical research?

:eyebrow:

Typical pre-med.. jk

(semi-srs)

(srs)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get where you're coming from. Sometimes I would get frustrated at pre med culture, on bad days it seemed like people were curt, priviledged and apathetic about the particulars of it it, when I was outgoing, disadvantaged and non-apathetic lol. Money/prestige is unfortunately an inevitable consideration and part of the reason the process is so competitive too. A minority of people really do want to be docs for only those reasons, and it does bother me every once in a while - I can sympathize there

I'd still steer you away from painting the community in such broad strokes, because it underestimates the good in others and can leave you unrealistically bitter. There are pre meds out there who are interested in biology/chemistry, health and helping others. You just have to find them, i know I did, and they aren't that rare. That said even those driven by prestige can be good people, even if their goals are misguided and they can be kind of douchey, and those that are very selfish, avoid them.

Whatever career you end up in, you're gonna have an easier time if you look for the good in communities. And yes there are bad personalities at the hospital/med school, I know, I've dealt with them in volunteering, but there's still some depth to them and others I'm sure are decent people. Get used to that **** now wherever you end up

That said pre med culture is slightly better than some other cultures, bschool or student gov culture in particular, where you get more of the political type. Even then those groups still have a good proportion of decent people you can track down

Your engineering family won't mind. My dad's antiscience and now that I have a respectable app to apply with he doesn't care. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In general it's not the wisest reason to go into medicine for prestige or money if those are the sole reasons you're entering the field. But it's not wrong to want those things either. In any case the "prestige" factor isn't even that prevalent anymore. Hell, you got nurses claiming they can do your job better on less training anyway so ... But if someone gets a kick telling people they're a pediatric neurosurgeon then whatever. It makes them a douche but as long as they're good at what they do then that's not a big deal.

Plus, do you think somehow this "culture" gets better once you're in medical school or residency? Surgeons think FM and IM docs are stupid. Ortho and Neurosurg think gen surg docs are idiots. And everyone ****s on the psych guys. So, it is what it is. Everyone has their niche and views problems from their particular point of view while forgetting those who train under a different specialty views it from a different angle causing friction. Just focus on yourself and being the best you can while learning about what's important to those in other fields and you'll be fine.

Sounds like you like medicine, I don't see any legitimate reason you shouldn't. If you can do it, do it. There's a reason it is the most respected profession in the world, and it IS better than other science careers if you can do it. You'll definitely have to grow a bit of a backbone though because there's a lot of BS on the way and tough people to deal with, but thats the price of the prestige. If you want to be mediocre, go be an average engineer.

So I'm just a freshman at my college and I have a love hate relationship with the idea of medicine. I hate how everyone I talk to, when I ask them why they want to pursue med, say they want to do it for the money and for the prestige.

Many premeds have told me that while they're undergrads, they're not talking about being premed because they strongly dislike many of their fellow premeds...the bragging, the gunning, the ridiculous statements. Many just lay-low and then come senior year, everyone is surprised to learn that they're heading to med school in August.

Reactions: 2 users
My advice:

Stop asking people why they want to be doctors. It sounds like you are bringing this anguish upon yourself. The pre-med process is really just some classes you have to take and probably some meetings with administrators. You can be as much or as little a part of the culture as you want.

Reactions: 3 users
It's pretty ironic that you come in here hating the culture of premed when you are the one actively complaining. Maybe your mentality (us versus them) and personality is part of the problem of the culture? And everything you described shows you like medical science, but it seems like you actually don't know what the medical field is about (patient care, service).

Reactions: 1 users
So don't become a "pre-med." I never did. As a freshman you have plenty of time left to figure out what you want to do. In the meantime, continue to do well in your classes and get some clinical exposure (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) to get a better idea of whether or not you actually want to pursue medicine. You don't ever have to declare as a pre-med or join the pre-med club if you don't want to.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of pre-med in my experience is a bunch of people trying to upset the other bunch of people so the first bunch of people feels better about themselves. For whatever reason isn't important.

What's important is that you be true to yourself, and don't play the game. If you play their game, you'll become cynical, holier-than-thou, and burned out trying too hard to be something you hopefully aren't and never what to be: a d**k.

Medicine lacks civility. Your nurses are your peers. Transport is your peers. Medical transportation is your peers. The flippin' housekeeping is your peers. Biggest advice: everyone knows something you don't, and is on your team.

Be yourself, have fun, don't become a robot, learn from everything. Being pre-med just means you're preparing for an MCAT and are going to apply to med school one day. That's literally all it is.

Half of them won’t be there after sophomore year rolls around anyways

Reactions: 5 users
I find that a good amount of this type are around for UG, some make it to interviews, but in Med school there are only about 10 of them.

Should I commit to this culture/label that I absolutely hate for a career that I would absolutley love?

The tone of this post implies you've already done exactly that.

Many premeds have told me that while they're undergrads, they're not talking about being premed because they strongly dislike many of their fellow premeds...the bragging, the gunning, the ridiculous statements. Many just lay-low and then come senior year, everyone is surprised to learn that they're heading to med school in August.

I wish I had done this my freshman year, though at my school it's kinda weird. Many of the engineering/BS premeds laugh at humanities/BA premeds because they think their major is a lot harder making them look better??? Premed feels so toxic/ruthless sometimes but I've also met a couple really awesome friends through it so it's not all bad.

I get where you're coming from. Sometimes I would get frustrated at pre med culture, on bad days it seemed like people were curt, priviledged and apathetic about the particulars of it it, when I was outgoing, disadvantaged and non-apathetic lol. Money/prestige is unfortunately an inevitable consideration and part of the reason the process is so competitive too. A minority of people really do want to be docs for only those reasons, and it does bother me every once in a while - I can sympathize there

I'd still steer you away from painting the community in such broad strokes, because it underestimates the good in others and can leave you unrealistically bitter. There are pre meds out there who are interested in biology/chemistry, health and helping others. You just have to find them, i know I did, and they aren't that rare. That said even those driven by prestige can be good people, even if their goals are misguided and they can be kind of douchey, and those that are very selfish, avoid them.

Whatever career you end up in, you're gonna have an easier time if you look for the good in communities. And yes there are bad personalities at the hospital/med school, I know, I've dealt with them in volunteering, but there's still some depth to them and others I'm sure are decent people. Get used to that **** now wherever you end up

That said pre med culture is slightly better than some other cultures, bschool or student gov culture in particular, where you get more of the political type. Even then those groups still have a good proportion of decent people you can track down

Your engineering family won't mind. My dad's antiscience and now that I have a respectable app to apply with he doesn't care. Lol

This response is awesome for life in general. I got to a point where I was constantly negative (unfortunately I was falling in line with the "better than thou" culture at my school) and it took me a while to realize how much of a problem it actually was. Still have to catch myself sometimes when I get cynical (like in my other response in this post haha) but it's amazing how much of a difference it makes when you look for the positive even if you feel like you have to actively do it at first.

Your heart seems in the right place. Your humbleness has a ways to go, but that's typical for a college freshman. Just stay away from them. Be friends with the right people.

Pre-med culture is toxic because there are artificial barriers to becoming a doctor in America that unfortunately tend to favor people who are socially abnormal, masochistic, obsessed with grades and prestige, naive, and unworldly.

Let's look at what it generally takes to become a US physician: Four years of undergrad, studying all day, a lot of social isolation, MCAT, four years of medical schools, board exams, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt... Do these hurdles select at all for individuals who are compassionate, humble, down-to-earth, etc. (traits we supposedly value in physicians)? Absolutely not.

All of the above being said, you should base career decisions on your interests, goals, aptitudes, and willingness to sacrifice. Your career decisions should never be based on the culture within a given pre-professional community.

This was me to a T for most of undergrad. I still have friends that ask when I changed from wanting to be a biology teacher.

Pre-med culture is toxic because there are artificial barriers to becoming a doctor in America that unfortunately tend to favor people who are socially abnormal, masochistic, obsessed with grades and prestige, naive, and unworldly.

Let's look at what it generally takes to become a US physician: Four years of undergrad, studying all day, a lot of social isolation, MCAT, four years of medical schools, board exams, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt... Do these hurdles select at all for individuals who are compassionate, humble, down-to-earth, etc. (traits we supposedly value in physicians)? Absolutely not.

All of the above being said, you should base career decisions on your interests, goals, aptitudes, and willingness to sacrifice. Your career decisions should never be based on the culture within a given pre-professional community.
You forgot a few minor things, such as loads of ECs, LORs, personal statements, secondaries, and interviews. Good thing all of those still favor socially abnormal and naive applicants.