DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New school!

Good luck everyone!

Link to interview prep: will be updated soon
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bait & Switch.

What’s the source of patients here? Doesn’t Knoxville already have a dental school?
They have U of Tennessee main campus but no dental schools in the area. The school said the estimated number of underserved patients in East Tennessee (region this school is in) is 2.2 million.

Have my interview with them on Tuesday! Will update the thread with any information I get!

Have my interview with them on Tuesday! Will update the thread with any information I get!
Tuition is set to 64,500 is what they told us. I'm assuming that's for all 4 years. They were super friendly and laid back in our interviews. If you're expecting diversity though, this is not the right school. Most of the applicants seemed to be from East Tennessee.

Tuition is set to 64,500 is what they told us. I'm assuming that's for all 4 years. They were super friendly and laid back in our interviews. If you're expecting diversity though, this is not the right school. Most of the applicants seemed to be from East Tennessee.
I PM'd you!

Tuition is set to 64,500 is what they told us.
That's just tuition. What about the fees? At many schools that's easily another $10,000+ per year. Take UPenn for example...

1642135531259.png

Big Hoss

That's just tuition. What about the fees? At many schools that's easily another $10,000+ per year. Take UPenn for example...

View attachment 348271

Big Hoss
$10K for D1 and $2500 for rest of the years. $400 per year for technology and $400 in D4 for graduation. That is all. They are going to include loupes in the tuition with lifetime warranty.

Members don't see this ad :)
$10K for D1 and $2500 for rest of the years. $400 per year for technology and $400 in D4 for graduation. That is all. They are going to include loupes in the tuition with lifetime warranty.
Do you know if we have our choice of loupes or if they will actually be providing a specific kind? I forgot to ask about this during my interview

Do you know if we have our choice of loupes or if they will actually be providing a specific kind? I forgot to ask about this during my interview
I believe they have a specific company they partnered with. The company is going to provide the lifetime warranty, not the school. You can always email Trish and ask if you want. How did your interview go if you don't mind me asking?

I believe they have a specific company they partnered with. The company is going to provide the lifetime warranty, not the school. You can always email Trish and ask if you want. How did your interview go if you don't mind me asking?
It went really well! It was by far the most casual/conversational one I've had. They sent the acceptance letter just a few days afterwards.

It went really well! It was by far the most casual/conversational one I've had. They sent the acceptance letter just a few days afterwards.
Which other schools did you interview at? Did you do in person or virtual interviews?

Which other schools did you interview at? Did you do in person or virtual interviews?
Two virtual (UTenn & Detroit) and two in-person (LMU & Nova)

Two virtual (UTenn & Detroit) and two in-person (LMU & Nova)
How would you compare Nova's facilities and infrastructure to LMU's? I know LMU is still building theirs but I am still curious.

How would you compare Nova's facilities and infrastructure to LMU's? I know LMU is still building theirs but I am still curious.
Nova's facilities were probably the most impressive, especially the sim lab. It's not too surprising considering how much money they have, but the facilities are their strongest selling point. They have all the latest technologies and are integrating them into the curriculum. However, I was told during my interview that they plan to literally tear down and redo most, if not all of the dental facilities because they are increasing their class size and therefore need to accommodate more students. So there's a bit of uncertainty there for the next entering class, but I doubt it will be much of a hindrance.

Like you said, LMU is still under construction so there's uncertainty there too. But it was clear during the tour that they have a solid plan laid out. Every student will have their own chair and there's a large underserved population in East Tennessee so clinical experience should be up to par with most schools. Like Nova, they plan to integrate all of the new technologies as well. They also said they will give students experience with placing implants, which is something very few schools can say.

Nova's facilities were probably the most impressive, especially the sim lab. It's not too surprising considering how much money they have, but the facilities are their strongest selling point. They have all the latest technologies and are integrating them into the curriculum. However, I was told during my interview that they plan to literally tear down and redo most, if not all of the dental facilities because they are increasing their class size and therefore need to accommodate more students. So there's a bit of uncertainty there for the next entering class, but I doubt it will be much of a hindrance.

Like you said, LMU is still under construction so there's uncertainty there too. But it was clear during the tour that they have a solid plan laid out. Every student will have their own chair and there's a large underserved population in East Tennessee so clinical experience should be up to par with most schools. Like Nova, they plan to integrate all of the new technologies as well. They also said they will give students experience with placing implants, which is something very few schools can say.
Yeah they did say they will do implants, so is it true that not a lot of other schools give that experience? Which schools do offer implant experience?

Yeah they did say they will do implants, so is it true that not a lot of other schools give that experience? Which schools do offer implant experience?
Other than LMU I've only heard of NYU, Roseman, and MWU-AZ doing this. Many schools let you restore implants or at least have you assist with the process, but few actually let you place them.

Did Nova have Simodont? I heard that they do but I wasn't completely sure.

If you interviewed at UofTenn I am guessing you are from Tennessee? The folks at LMU kept making UofTenn sound like they have a super strict, cold attitude environment? Did you apply to Meharry too?

Did Nova have Simodont? I heard that they do but I wasn't completely sure.

If you interviewed at UofTenn I am guessing you are from Tennessee? The folks at LMU kept making UofTenn sound like they have a super strict, cold attitude environment? Did you apply to Meharry too?
I can't remember seeing Simodont during the tour tbh but I would be surprised if they didn't have it.

Yea I'm from the Nashville area. I can kind of see where they're coming from when they say that, but I personally don't have anything negative to say about UT. However, they are one of the oldest schools in the country and they certainly reflect that in their practices because they are old-fashioned in everything that they do. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems like they really hammer home the fundamentals of dentistry whereas schools like Nova and LMU are adamant about training a more "modern" dentist. At the end of the day I would go there if I were to get in from the waitlist just because of the lower cost. I know a couple of graduates there and they certainly produce high quality dentists.

And I did apply to Meharry but I'm not a minority so I don't expect to hear back lol. The location was too convenient to not give it a shot.

I can't remember seeing Simodont during the tour tbh but I would be surprised if they didn't have it.

Yea I'm from the Nashville area. I can kind of see where they're coming from when they say that, but I personally don't have anything negative to say about UT. However, they are one of the oldest schools in the country and they certainly reflect that in their practices because they are old-fashioned in everything that they do. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It seems like they really hammer home the fundamentals of dentistry whereas schools like Nova and LMU are adamant about training a more "modern" dentist. At the end of the day I would go there if I were to get in from the waitlist just because of the lower cost. I know a couple of graduates there and they certainly produce high quality dentists.

And I did apply to Meharry but I'm not a minority so I don't expect to hear back lol. The location was too convenient to not give it a shot.
I feel you with the convenience aspect lol. I am an ORM so I don't think I have much of a chance either but I am still hoping.

So what differences make LMU "modern" vs UTenn's old fashioned methods? Other than the facilities, equipment, and the hygienist + dental students working together at LMU. I remember they said that most dental schools have us do certain things but that nobody does those things in practice anymore so LMU won't make us do them either but what those techniques/procedures are, I don't remember.

So what differences make LMU "modern" vs UTenn's old fashioned methods? Other than the facilities, equipment, and the hygienist + dental students working together at LMU. I remember they said that most dental schools have us do certain things but that nobody does those things in practice anymore so LMU won't make us do them either but what those techniques/procedures are, I don't remember.
I think the whole modern vs traditional thing just comes down to a difference in philosophy, both of which are valid. The field is becoming increasingly focused on treating patients holistically instead of focusing so intently on oral health alone. This comes as a result of how well known the link between oral health and systemic disease has become. That's what I mean by "modern." I think that explains why schools like LMU are integrating the dental curriculum with the medical school's. And it's not like traditional schools don't understand this, it's just that they prefer to teach dentistry "how it's always been done" so that you have a really solid fundamental understanding of how to handle things clinically. I'm obviously not sure of this yet, but I have a feeling those that are taught the more modern philosophy won't have as steep a learning curve once they start practicing since the field is advancing so rapidly from a technology perspective.

Anyone want to make a GroupMe for us invited and accepted students?

Has anyone been able to set up their LMU email account? I never received an email with the instructions

Has anyone been able to set up their LMU email account? I never received an email with the instructions
Not yet, they are having trouble setting up the accounts. IT is working on it. But you can join the FB page to stay up to date.

Could someone already have interview, please tell how was it? I have one coming up

Pretty chill, they are really nice.
I'm really interested in applying to this school but my stats are on low side. If you don't mind can you tell me your stats and how was the interview. Also since they are new school, what were your thoughts on applying there?

I'm really interested in applying to this school but my stats are on low side. If you don't mind can you tell me your stats and how was the interview. Also since they are new school, what were your thoughts on applying there?
Sure, I will PM you.

I interviewed there 2/3 it was very chill and a 1/1 interview. I also toured the school and it seems like it is going to be a great campus. They told me I should get a decision the first week of March because they are very busy with their site visit that is today and tomorrow!

I interviewed there 2/3 it was very chill and a 1/1 interview. I also toured the school and it seems like it is going to be a great campus. They told me I should get a decision the first week of March because they are very busy with their site visit that is today and tomorrow!
which state are you coming from?

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interviews? And how long typically after you submit your app they invite you if they choose to? How full is the class size so far?

Does anyone know if they are still sending out interviews? And how long typically after you submit your app they invite you if they choose to? How full is the class size so far?
I applied beginning of Feb like the first week and still haven’t heard back. I’ve heard the class is half full but I’m not too sure of how accurate that is.

I applied beginning of Feb like the first week and still haven’t heard back. I’ve heard the class is half full but I’m not too sure of how accurate that is.
Ahh i see. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Has anyone heard back recently from LMU regarding anything? Are they done with their meeting stuff that was happening this past week?

Has anyone heard back recently from LMU regarding anything? Are they done with their meeting stuff that was happening this past week?
They said a few days ago that the site visit went really well but there hasn't been an update on accreditation other than that since then. It's probably a lengthy process

They said a few days ago that the site visit went really well but there hasn't been an update on accreditation other than that since then. It's probably a lengthy process
Oh okay. It’s been a few days so I didn’t know if they started working on the applications again or not. Thanks for the update though:)

Got accepted this morning

Reactions: 3 users