Lipscomb University Biomolecular Sciences MS Program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnpremed96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone a current student, alumnus/a, or even heard about Lipscomb University's Biomolecular Sciences MS Program? Haven't really found a lot of info online from other students

I am interested in applying to this program to enhance my academic credentials before I apply to med school next June - my only concerns are that Lipscomb is not a medical school and I can't find success rates anywhere so not sure how good it is... but it's the only post-bacc program I have found in TN (where I'm from) besides ETSU which is for career changers

Any help is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you end up doing this program? I'm also interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did actually! Graduated this past May - let me know if you have any questions
Congrats on earning that Masters degree! I'm really torn on applying to this program because, while I need to improve my academic stats, I've received 1 dental school interview this year and I wouldn't want to spend the money on the program just to end up getting accepted to dental school. At the same time, I want to have a backup plan just in case I don't get in.

Anyway, what was your impression of the program? Is maintaining a good GPA fairly manageable?

There were a couple people in my cohort (pre-dent/med/PA ) who had active applications during the program and they all did end up getting accepted by spring! I think they had the same dilemma as you but didn't regret enrolling because they could still update their applications with their first semester grades. And if they didn't get accepted, they still had a backup plan like you said. In the end you do receive a Master's degree, so it is an investment. I think the program does a lot with primary articles and independent work, especially presentations. I was able to maintain a good GPA while volunteering and working part-time, and I found that my classmates agreed. It's very fast-paced since each class is only 8 weeks long, and there's a lot of information packed into that short time frame. Regardless, I'm glad I did it to improve my academic stats coming from undergrad. I'm currently applying to med school, so we'll see if I get any success! Lmk if you have other questions! I'd be happy to help since there's not a lot of info on this program.

There were a couple people in my cohort (pre-dent/med/PA ) who had active applications during the program and they all did end up getting accepted by spring! I think they had the same dilemma as you but didn't regret enrolling because they could still update their applications with their first semester grades. And if they didn't get accepted, they still had a backup plan like you said. In the end you do receive a Master's degree, so it is an investment. I think the program does a lot with primary articles and independent work, especially presentations. I was able to maintain a good GPA while volunteering and working part-time, and I found that my classmates agreed. It's very fast-paced since each class is only 8 weeks long, and there's a lot of information packed into that short time frame. Regardless, I'm glad I did it to improve my academic stats coming from undergrad. I'm currently applying to med school, so we'll see if I get any success! Lmk if you have other questions! I'd be happy to help since there's not a lot of info on this program.
Thanks for the info! I have a lot to consider but this route seems like a good option, if needed. Hope you get in at your med school of choice.. good luck!!

Hey! It looks like I'll be applying to this program after all. I was wondering what kind of housing options are available to those in the program. Are there any on-campus options or cheap alternatives near the campus? I live in the Nashville area but not close enough to Lipscomb to merit living at home.

Also, any general tips for succeeding in the program would be much appreciated!

Hey! It looks like I'll be applying to this program after all. I was wondering what kind of housing options are available to those in the program. Are there any on-campus options or cheap alternatives near the campus? I live in the Nashville area but not close enough to Lipscomb to merit living at home.

Hey! Glad to hear you're applying! I'm going to move this over to pm lol

Hey! Glad to hear you're applying! I'm going to move this over to pm lol

So it won't let me pm you for some reason haha

I'm also from the Nashville area! I chose to commute from home since I'm only 20-25 min from campus and it's cheaper haha. Some of my classmates were from further out (Spring Hill and Kingston Springs) and still commuted to class, so you probably won't be the only one if you choose to live at home. Just depends on if you want to make the drive to campus for 2-4 days out of the week depending on when you have classes; all grad classes start at 6pm and go until 8 or 9. Some undergrad classes can count for grad credit, so if you decide to take those they're typically during the normal school day hours. Personally, I just didn't want to pay for housing for a year (or two) if I planned to move again for med school anyway. Nevertheless, I had other classmates who weren't from the Nashville area and found decently priced housing options not too far from campus like in the Green Hills, Bellevue, Forest Hills areas. It just might take some researching. As far as I know, there is no on-campus housing for grad students. If you need a roommate, you can always ask around in the program (the administrative assistant, Rachel Harley, can help with this) or on the Nashville housing Facebook page.

As for tips to succeed in the program - time management is a big one lol. You'll be enrolled in multiple classes at once within each 8-week block, so that's a lot of information to juggle in such a short time frame. A lot of the classes are primary article-based, so get comfortable reading those. I don't think you have to read each and every one of them extensively, but as long as you get the general idea you're fine. Presentations are also big, so be prepared to build great public speaking skills. I also recommend getting to know your professors because they can be a huge help and good letters of recommendations for when you apply to med/dent/PA/etc schools. Don't be afraid to ask them for help as well because I realized that some of my peers all didn't have the same experiences. For example, some have spent many hours in a wet lab doing benchwork whereas others had never - so if you don't really know things it's okay OR if you see someone struggling, help them out! I found that the program was more collaborative and that helped a ton. On a similar note, make some friends/study buddies too! For some of my classes, we made a group study guide and that really helped prepare me for the exams to have everyone's notes compiled into one. Don't forget to enjoy yourself too haha. I still found time to hang out with friends/family, work, and volunteer with a great gpa. It was also nice doing social things with classmates so you're not only seeing each other on campus. We would go out for drinks some nights after class especially after a big exam or for ice cream before class. We even still hang out after the program! We're going to dinner later this week actually haha. I just really appreciated the small cohort size because I got to know everyone well and we're all good friends. There's just something about struggling that brings people together tbh. The program was stressful but definitely worth it.

If you do decide to enroll in the program, let me know! I'd be happy to give you more information on specific classes and professors :) Good luck! I hope you're happy wherever you end up!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I think I will soon be heading to Lipscomb for an advising appointment to make my schedule. I was wondering if there were any courses/professors you would recommend, as well as whether you would recommend the Human Disease or Lab research track. Any information is welcome lol. Thanks!

Is this a competitive program to get into? I aspire to go into research.

I'm also from the Nashville area! I chose to commute from home since I'm only 20-25 min from campus and it's cheaper haha. Some of my classmates were from further out (Spring Hill and Kingston Springs) and still commuted to class, so you probably won't be the only one if you choose to live at home. Just depends on if you want to make the drive to campus for 2-4 days out of the week depending on when you have classes; all grad classes start at 6pm and go until 8 or 9. Some undergrad classes can count for grad credit, so if you decide to take those they're typically during the normal school day hours. Personally, I just didn't want to pay for housing for a year (or two) if I planned to move again for med school anyway. Nevertheless, I had other classmates who weren't from the Nashville area and found decently priced housing options not too far from campus like in the Green Hills, Bellevue, Forest Hills areas. It just might take some researching. As far as I know, there is no on-campus housing for grad students. If you need a roommate, you can always ask around in the program (the administrative assistant, Rachel Harley, can help with this) or on the Nashville housing Facebook page.

As for tips to succeed in the program - time management is a big one lol. You'll be enrolled in multiple classes at once within each 8-week block, so that's a lot of information to juggle in such a short time frame. A lot of the classes are primary article-based, so get comfortable reading those. I don't think you have to read each and every one of them extensively, but as long as you get the general idea you're fine. Presentations are also big, so be prepared to build great public speaking skills. I also recommend getting to know your professors because they can be a huge help and good letters of recommendations for when you apply to med/dent/PA/etc schools. Don't be afraid to ask them for help as well because I realized that some of my peers all didn't have the same experiences. For example, some have spent many hours in a wet lab doing benchwork whereas others had never - so if you don't really know things it's okay OR if you see someone struggling, help them out! I found that the program was more collaborative and that helped a ton. On a similar note, make some friends/study buddies too! For some of my classes, we made a group study guide and that really helped prepare me for the exams to have everyone's notes compiled into one. Don't forget to enjoy yourself too haha. I still found time to hang out with friends/family, work, and volunteer with a great gpa. It was also nice doing social things with classmates so you're not only seeing each other on campus. We would go out for drinks some nights after class especially after a big exam or for ice cream before class. We even still hang out after the program! We're going to dinner later this week actually haha. I just really appreciated the small cohort size because I got to know everyone well and we're all good friends. There's just something about struggling that brings people together tbh. The program was stressful but definitely worth it.

If you do decide to enroll in the program, let me know! I'd be happy to give you more information on specific classes and professors :) Good luck! I hope you're happy wherever you end up!
Hi!
I know this was a while ago but i just found this thread! I'm a premed hoping to enhance some of my undergrad GPA and I have an interview with Lipscomb this Tuesday. I was wondering what your life after the program looked like and if you felt that it helped you with your medical school application. As well as if you have any tips!
Thank you

Is anyone a current student, alumnus/a, or even heard about Lipscomb University's Biomolecular Sciences MS Program? Haven't really found a lot of info online from other students

I am interested in applying to this program to enhance my academic credentials before I apply to med school next June - my only concerns are that Lipscomb is not a medical school and I can't find success rates anywhere so not sure how good it is... but it's the only post-bacc program I have found in TN (where I'm from) besides ETSU which is for career changers

Any help is much appreciated!!
Hi, I wanted to know if you ended up going to this program and what your thoughts were if you did. Did it help you with medical school? I just had an interview with them and I have the same doubts as you.