Listing research grants in their own honors/awards section on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaldoBloom98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of college and working in a lab for the last four years and was fortunate to receive funding from two sources. After my first year, my PI and I applied for an NIH Diversity Supplement which funded my salary, tuition for some grad classes, and conference travel costs for two years. When that ended, we applied for and received a career development award (internal funding from the institution) which will cover my salary until I (fingers-crossed) matriculate into medical school next year. My PI is listed as the "mentor/supervisor" and I am listed as the "applicant" for both.

I had planned to mention these briefly in the "most meaningful activity" essay I'm doing for research, but should I also list these as an honor/award? The amount for both was between $50-60K per year, but I'm not sure if I should state that since it's sort of implied by "salary funded"? Also if it makes any difference, I'm applying MD-PhD.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out of college and working in a lab for the last four years and was fortunate to receive funding from two sources. After my first year, my PI and I applied for an NIH Diversity Supplement which funded my salary, tuition for some grad classes, and conference travel costs for two years. When that ended, we applied for and received a career development award (internal funding from the institution) which will cover my salary until I (fingers-crossed) matriculate into medical school next year. My PI is listed as the "mentor/supervisor" and I am listed as the "applicant" for both.

I had planned to mention these briefly in the "most meaningful activity" essay I'm doing for research, but should I also list these as an honor/award? The amount for both was between $50-60K per year, but I'm not sure if I should state that since it's sort of implied by "salary funded"? Also if it makes any difference, I'm applying MD-PhD.

Don't list them twice. Keeping their mention with the affiliated Research MM entry is fine, to keep them in context. Mentioning a dollar amount is acceptable. If you wrote the grants, make that clear.

Just a note: be wary of applying to MD/PhD programs if you already have a PhD (can't tell from your OP if you're in graduate school or not). MD/PhD / MSTP programs have limited funding, and they're not likely to spend it on someone who already has the training.

Reactions: 1 user