LMU-DCOM Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! Thanks!

The samsung msl-2510 (BW Laser) has been known to be low as $40 at times...so search that as well. I've owned that printer for over a year now without any issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe someone knows the answer and can tell me before I get a call back. As for the insurance through the school - I am looking at the Individual cost, student + children, student-spouse, etc. and next to each it lists a dollar amount, ie Individual = $864, student+children = $1,684.74. In front of those listings it states that premium payments are due Agust 1, 2008 and Jan 1, 2009. These dollars amount listed - are they the premium that is to be paid twice a year or is that the annual cost for the insurace?

Thanks for any help!

Also, I couldn't tell from the website - how much is the life insurance for?

Maybe someone knows the answer and can tell me before I get a call back. As for the insurance through the school - I am looking at the Individual cost, student + children, student-spouse, etc. and next to each it lists a dollar amount, ie Individual = $864, student+children = $1,684.74. In front of those listings it states that premium payments are due Agust 1, 2008 and Jan 1, 2009. These dollars amount listed - are they the premium that is to be paid twice a year or is that the annual cost for the insurace?

Thanks for any help!

I believe twice. Mine would have totaled to ~ 2,000/yr and I'm just independent.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I couldn't tell from the website - how much is the life insurance for?

All of these get paid directly from student loans, so you do not have to worry about coming up with the funds yourself.

All of these get paid directly from student loans, so you do not have to worry about coming up with the funds yourself.

Soooo I was wondering if we can take out life insurance policies on our classmates . . . like, you know, in case something happens to them . . . especially the super annoying ones, who sit in the front row and ask lots of questions? Waahahahaha! :ninja:

Sorry . . . I've been drinking. ;)

yeah, I understand all of that for the student but we have 5 kids we have to insure and we need life insurance to still pay for those kiddos if something were to happen to see if what the school offers is enough. FYI - the school's life insurance is $100,000.

Soooo I was wondering if we can take out life insurance policies on our classmates . . . like, you know, in case something happens to them . . . especially the super annoying ones, who sit in the front row and ask lots of questions? Waahahahaha! :ninja:

lol....check out this group on facebook...it's hillarious

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2216613701

Haha! I love drunk commenting :p

Haha! I love drunk commenting :p

:laugh:...there was some company that invented a breathalyzer for computers...so you couldn't drunk email! or drunk gamble

2008-03-10.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be moving down in about 3 weeks to the 2 bedroom apts Roger is building right by the school. I know a few people from 2011 live there but I was wondering if anyone from our class will be moving in as well?

this is gonna sound like a gunner question, but here it goes....does DCOM rank its students?

I'm going to be moving down in about 3 weeks to the 2 bedroom apts Roger is building right by the school. I know a few people from 2011 live there but I was wondering if anyone from our class will be moving in as well?

I'll be there, we're moving in the weekend of July 18-20

I'll be there, we're moving in the weekend of July 18-20

i thought you were in the student apartments? what stephDO is talking about is another apartment complex being built by a private entity, not LMU

this is gonna sound like a gunner question, but here it goes....does DCOM rank its students?

Yes, you get your first rank list after your first year. We have not received ours yet, but will right before 2nd year starts.

i thought you were in the student apartments? what stephDO is talking about is another apartment complex being built by a private entity, not LMU

Yes, there are apartments being built right next door to the LMU apartments. I don't know prices or anything though....sorry.

I hope most people in Tn realize that nascar is not a sport.....hahaaha

Yes, you get your first rank list after your first year. We have not received ours yet, but will right before 2nd year starts.

Yes, there are apartments being built right next door to the LMU apartments. I don't know prices or anything though....sorry.

The new apts being built are similar to the undergrad dorms. Central living with 3 separate bedrooms. I believe rent is 450 or 475/month. According to Dr. Leo, no free access to gym/pool which will belong to the DCOM students living in the LMU med apt.

The apartments I am talking about are being built by Roger Ball. At the first major intersection past the school, if you take a right, they are off a side street on your left (not sure of the address at this point)...some are completed that the current first yr students live in, and others are being built and are supposed to be ready by July 15th....We are moving down sometime around then...Just trying to find out who our neighbors will be :) Look forward to meeting you all!!

I have a home for rent 20mins from LMU.

I was at LMU this last weekend and there is a lot of new construction since my interview.

What's going on? Some of the buildings looked like new dorms, but it seemed like they had a lot of different projects going...

it doesn't involve athleticism....come on.
Hahahaha, have you ever raced.... anything? My guess is no. Its not the typical "I can run the 40 yd dash in 3.9 seconds" or w/e is fast now athleticism. But neither is golf. And its a sport. Its hard as hell to drive that fast and concentrate that hard for 100 miles, let alone 500. Throw in the heat, the car/suspension isnt set up right, and 40 other idiots trying to drive faster than you the whole time, and it starts getting crazy. I raced motocross through highschool and college, and its not nearly as long as a NASCAR race and it wore my ass out after 5 laps... about 20 mins. And I'm in shape and workout.

What sports do you participate in? ;)

Dude Nascar is amazing!!
I saw a bilboard for DCOM on 275 south earlier today. Hopefully now when people without a medical background ask me where I'm going to school and tell them they won't give me the most confused look ever haha

Dude Nascar is amazing!!
I saw a bilboard for DCOM on 275 south earlier today. Hopefully now when people without a medical background ask me where I'm going to school and tell them they won't give me the most confused look ever haha

billboard for DCOM...awesome! BTW...can you please take a picture? =)

the only activity I don't consider a sport is Golf...but that's IMO...and yes, I play golf

I think of golfing as more of a social activity just like crochet and mini golfing....just hanging out with your buddies...drinking beers and having a good time.

Golf definitely does not involve athletisim in the common sense...but it is still hard and I have to give mad props to those who can play the game well!

OfficeDepot (in stores) has the Samsung ML-2851ND Network Laser Printer for $40. Thanks n2slickd.
  1. Click here.
  2. Click on the "Pick up at store" button and select your store.
  3. Then click here to see if it is available for $40. Select a different store if it shows up for more or if it's out of stock.

Price comparison:
  • <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: 25px">NextWarehouse.com $169.84 + Free shipping <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: 25px"> $169.99 + Free shipping <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: 25px"> $169.99 + Free shipping <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: 25px"> $179.99 + Free shipping <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: 25px"> $179.99 + $19.99 shipping
  • Show more price comparisons

Hey guys,

We own a house 1.3 miles from school and have a basement apartment that we just finished remodeling available for rent. You can see the school from the drive-way. My husband and I will be living upstairs.

It is large enough for a married couple that REALLY loves each other. :laugh:

1 large Bedroom, 1 bathroom
Kitchen/living room
Laundry/Utility room
Full-size washer & dryer provided
Kitchen appliances provided
Newly remodeled, PLENTY of storage space.
Private entrance
Utilities/internet/cable included
Pet Friendly
$600/month

PM me for details /viewing time, etc.

Still available. Call for details or to make an appointment to see it.

615-513-4787

Hey all. I have already bought all of the books for OMS-1 this fall except the Grey's anatomy book. I am not going to be going to LMU any more. I bought all of the books off of Amazon and they are all in great shape. I will sell them to someone for a very cheap price just so I can get a little bit of my money back.

Please PM me if you are interested. I live close by.

Hey guys...so I am sure many of us running around buying all sorts of stuff we will need.....here is a copy and paste of an awesome deal in regards to ebay to help with any financial burdens

[FONT=Courier New,Courier][SIZE=+1]Live.com[/SIZE].[SIZE=+1] - 35% rebate on some Ebay purchases[/SIZE]

1. Click here, then click the Ebay Cashback in the Sponsored Links section of the page. Look for the text "You may get 35% off with PayPal if eligible" which may be located in the Sponsored Links section at the top or on the right of the page (example top, example right).
  2. Search Ebay for a "Buy It Now" item, such as a Nintendo Wii, Zen Nano, Playstation 3, or iPod Touch.
  3. Click "Buy It Now" to buy it. Sign in to your Ebay account if prompted to do so.
  4. It should show you the Buy It Now price, along with a horizontal, green text which reads "Microsoft Cashback 35%" (example). Click Continue.
  5. On the Review Your Purchase page, it should display the purchase price, and the amount of rebate eligible from Microsoft. For example, if you order a $328 Nintendo Wii bundle, the 35% amount you will receive in refund will be $114.80. Only commit to buy if the Microsoft Cashback amount appears.
Many items sold through Ebay should work with this promotion, Playstation 3, Nintendo wii, iPod Touch, graphics card, 1TB hard drive, etc. Only certain Ebay purchases are eligible, so make sure it displays a Microsoft Cashback dollar amount on the page where you review before committing to buy. The cash back amount should arrive 60 days after purchase.
spacer.gif

According to their terms and conditions, this offer is only valid for 1 item per purchase, and up to 3 separate purchases, up to $250 cashback, so this deal is best if used with expensive purchases.
spacer.gif

Update: It may take up to 7 days for your Cashback amount to appear on your Microsoft/Live.com account.

Hey all. I have already bought all of the books for OMS-1 this fall except the Grey's anatomy book. I am not going to be going to LMU any more. I bought all of the books off of Amazon and they are all in great shape. I will sell them to someone for a very cheap price just so I can get a little bit of my money back.

Please PM me if you are interested. I live close by.
If you don't mind my asking...why won't you be going to DCOM anymore?

Hey all,
So our landlady says she now has an apartment available in our AWESOME 4 unit apartment building down in Cumberland Gap. They are 2 bedroom/2 bath apts, that are just being finished, so they are pretty nice. We have pictures of the apt too if you would like to see.

Me and Prions will be living in one of the apts, Rose will live in another, and a couple of other girls are in another. So you will be living among cool people. ;)

Anyways, if you are interested, or would like more info, PM me and I will give you her name and number. :)

Well, it looks like the LMU Bookstore's pricing is the same or higher than Amazon for new books for the required, recommended, and suggested textbooks. Some are as much as $20 more, but I guess the benefit of getting them at the bookstore is that you don't have to wait for them to be shipped and you can put them on your school account and not have to wait for loan money for reimbursement. If you don't mind having used books, online pricing at Amazon and Alibris is significantly cheaper. I went ahead and ordered them all new from Amazon (minus the Bates' Vusial Guide to Physical Examination Student Set on CD-ROM because I couldn't find it) and it was just under $1000. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

I did a little investigating between Amazon and Half.com and found out which books are cheaper where--- keep in mind I don't mind used books so some of them may be used.

Cheaper on Half.com:
Langman's Medical Embryology
Basic Histology
Marks' Basic Medical Biochem
An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment
Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostats
Bates' Guide to Physical Exam and Hx
Foundations for Osteopathic Med
Molecular Bio of the Cell
Thompson and Thompson
Biochem and Molecular Bio (Board Review Series)

Everything else (which isn't many) was cheaper on Amazon.
Half.com also had the Bates' Visual Guide if you were interested in buying it, seeing as how it's only suggested.

A lot of these were significantly cheaper; a lot of them half the price of Amazon. Hope this helps some of you guys!

I did a little investigating between Amazon and Half.com and found out which books are cheaper where--- keep in mind I don't mind used books so some of them may be used.

Did you check out alibris.com? If you are buying used, they actually beat half.com on the few books that I checked. Personally, I went with Amazon because I wanted new books, but Dr. Leo recommended Alibris. :luck:

Hey all.

I posted this earlier and wanted you to know the option is still available.

I also ordered all of my books online. They are all in great shape. The only reason I am selling them is because I am not going to LMU anymore. You can pay me one flat fee and I can even wait until you get your loan money. I paid 750 for everything on Amazon. I will take less than that for them if you give me a decent offer. The only book I didn't buy is the Grey's Anatomy book which I had already and intend to keep. If you are interested, let me know. With the start of school being so close, I can ship them to you or I will personally drive them up to Harrogate for you. (I live in Knoxville). As you can see, I'm just trying to get the books off my hands. PM me if you are interested.

Can any of the current students recommend a good primary care physician, dentist, and/or optometrist in the area for my husband who has insurance through his work rather than the school?

Can someone give me an idea of what will be going on for Orientation? Including any class cookouts, etc.

I thought I had heard when we interviewed that there would be a cookout or something like that. Just wondering if I should take off work to join the hubby for any socializing/fun stuff. Or would that be like bringing your mom? :)

Can someone give me an idea of what will be going on for Orientation? Including any class cookouts, etc.

I thought I had heard when we interviewed that there would be a cookout or something like that. Just wondering if I should take off work to join the hubby for any socializing/fun stuff. Or would that be like bringing your mom? :)

Of course you would be welcome to come to all social events....nothing wrong with bringing the mom along ;)

Last edited:
Your orientation will probably be set up a bit different but for ours the spouses/SO/family living with you or near you were invited the first day (or half day I can't remember) cause they had a meeting with the school to prep them for what was to come and what they could expect. As for you...you will be in orientation Wed, Thurs and the first half of Fri then you will have a lecture Fri afternoon. The BBQ is Friday night and family is welcome and encouraged. The faculty and staff were in shorts in t-shirts and there were kids playing football...you get the picture. Bring lawn chairs cause there are only a hand full of benches. The school will send you a more updated version of happenings or you can contact them but do plan on attending the BBQ w/ all your family that will be there.

Hope this helps...back to sitting on my rear reading meaningless novels!!!!

Soooo not like bringing your Mom! Come on down and join the fun! I look forward to meeting you! :D

Of course you would be welcome to come to all social events....nothing wrong with bringing the mom along ;)

I have to disagree with you here, sorry man. ;)

yooooo everybody...looongest time in history i havent been on sdn...:eek:

i am super excited and cant wait to start :D

looks like i will be moving into students appartments around 27th or so...for now im still chilling in cali :love:

does anyone of you know if the gym got finished?
i cant imagine no gym...i will go crazy lol

ok...back to finding cheap books lol

-----------------------------------------

hey nascar...i remeber that you were using boards review books to study from...any recomendations?

cant wait to meet everyone:D

Last edited:
Can any of the current students recommend a good primary care physician, dentist, and/or optometrist in the area for my husband who has insurance through his work rather than the school?

Dentist, I am not sure about. There is one right across from LMU though. For physician, you can use the clinic at school as it is for both students and their families. Anything they can't do, they will setup and refer you somewhere. Optometrist, there is Dr. Sanford in Middlesboro. He is an Ophthalmologist, but he has an OD in his office too. Both of them are great. I've used them both. I can't remember the name of the OD though, but she is an awesome lady.

There are plans, but I don't remember the exact details (can't you tell me brain has turned to mush during break....geez :smuggrin:) As for the first day of orientation, definitely come with your husband. You guys will spend the first part of the day together (although spouses/SO's sit seperately in the lecture hall) and the second part you guys will learn about the Student Advocate Associate (SAA) which is for spouses/SO's. At most social functions, spouses are invited, and DCOM makes sure to say spouses are invited as well most of the time. If you're not sure, you can always ask us.

yooooo everybody...looongest time in history i havent been on sdn...:eek:

i am super excited and cant wait to start :D

looks like i will be moving into students appartments around 27th or so...for now im still chilling in cali :love:

does anyone of you know if the gym got finished?
i cant imagine no gym...i will go crazy lol

ok...back to finding cheap books lol

-----------------------------------------

hey nascar...i remeber that you were using boards review books to study from...any recomendations?

cant wait to meet everyone:D

Hey Kicia!!! Hope all is well. I definitely would suggest grabbing review books before buying a text b/c you will use them much more often. It is best to wait and see what texts you really want. As for the review books for 1st semester, I would recommend the following:

- Lippincotts Illustrated Review: Biochemistry
- First Aid for the USMLE (must have for everyone...just awesome)
- Any BRS book that corresponds to a subject you learn about
- OMT Review by Saverese