LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Part 2 has been opened now ... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347734

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone here interviewed at LMU-DCOM yet? I have an interview coming up soon, so I've been looking at the interview feedback from last year, but I haven't seen any feedback from this application cycle.

Has anyone here interviewed at LMU-DCOM yet? I have an interview coming up soon, so I've been looking at the interview feedback from last year, but I haven't seen any feedback from this application cycle.

DCOM has not yet had any interviews. The first interview will be on October 9, I believe. When is your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I didn't realize they hadn't started yet! I'm interviewing October 12th :D

Oh, I didn't realize they hadn't started yet! I'm interviewing October 12th :D

I'm sure things were backed up a bit due to the school opening this year. Maybe they will be starting earlier next year, but who knows.

Good luck with the interview. I think you will really like it here. It is a special place with great people. I'll make sure to pop in and say :hello: to all of you during your interview day.

I'm interviewing on the first day. I'm excited!

I'm interviewing on the first day. I'm excited!

Sweet! All of us here are exciting about interviews starting. We have exams on Monday and an Anatomy practical on Tuesday, so we should be new a refreshed for you guys next week. Remember to relax and be yourself during the interview. Enjoy the day, ask questions to staff, faculty, and students. It is a laid back interview, so don't freak out too much. Happy waiting and I look forward to seeing you in a week or so!!!

I am coming to DCOM (again!!!) on the 9th as well. I am excited to come back, and I cant wait to see the new building. I was waitlisted last year, and all I can say is that everything happens for a reason...

DCOM is my first choice also. I have seen multiple posts on here about how helpful everyone is at DCOM. I couldnt agree more... Mr. Carney & Dr. Leo have given some great advice and have always been willing to answer any questions I have ever had. They even answer the ones you might think are silly, without making you feel lame for asking them. :laugh:Lol. Anyway, thats only one of the reasons DCOM stands out in my mind. Im looking forward to meeting everyone. See you next week!:D Good luck to everyone! And good luck on your exams this week!!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'll be interviewing on Oct. 12...I'm really looking forward to it! :)

:luck::luck::luck::luck: Best of luck to everyone.

We're all looking forward to you guys interviewing next week!!! It is going to be a lot of fun showing you the building and telling you some of the future plans of the building and surrounding grounds. We just finished our 2nd round of exams (we should get our scores tomorrow) so most of us should be ready to go. I'm excited to have you guys coming, and please do not hesitate in asking any questions, either here or at the interview. See you all next week!!!

We're all looking forward to you guys interviewing next week!!! It is going to be a lot of fun showing you the building and telling you some of the future plans of the building and surrounding grounds. We just finished our 2nd round of exams (we should get our scores tomorrow) so most of us should be ready to go. I'm excited to have you guys coming, and please do not hesitate in asking any questions, either here or at the interview. See you all next week!!!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all next week too!! It would be nice to find out more about the school from a student's point of view :)

I bet this has been asked before but could provide us prospective students with a description about a typical day at DCOM? And what classes are you currently taking and what the cirriculum is like?

Our typical day at DCOM runs as such:

8:30 - 11:30 3 hours of lecture, usually in 3 subjects
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch
12:30 - 4:30 varies a lot by day (see below schedule)

Mondays/Thursdays are Anatomy Lab
Tuesdays we usually have group sessions with our "doctor classes"
Wednesday is OPP Lab
Fridays are lectures or group sessions, but we usually either get out early, or we start late

Right now we have 5 total classes, Anatomy, OMM, Essentials in Pt Care (a basics on how to be a doctor), Foundations in Mondern Health Care (an intro into stats, article reading, etc), and our Basic Science Classes ( a micture of biochem, gen bio, etc). The main focus is the general science classes and anatomy.

We have block tests, 5 total for the semester. We just finished our 2nd test this past Monday. We have 3 hours for a 140-170 question test.

Classes are mandatory, and we use our nifty computers to take "quizzes" but they are usually very simple. Just about everyone goes to class, and I like it - the teachers are all great! Sorry for the long response. If you have any questions, let me know. Nascardoc and I are helping with interviews - I look forward to seeing ya'll. Good luck

Oh, and P.S. We get to start the Sim Lab next month - we supposedly have 3 Sim people, Sim Man, Sim Baby and Sim Pregnant Woman.

Members don't see this ad :)
Froggie did a good job!!! :smuggrin: :p

I just wanted to chime in and say that we are not in class until 4:30 everyday, it depends on when your group goes for the week, sometimes you're done at 2:30, sometimes at 4:30, at least for this semester anyway.

Time to study the pharynx........

Aww, thanks guys. Oh and BTW, nascardoc totally looks like his Simpsons avatar - it is uncanny!

For any of those interesting in checking out DCOM before you interview, apply, mingle with admissions, or just want some more info, DCOM does have open houses. We call them Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conferences (OMAC) because they are also open to the general public, not just students. I am providing a link with the dates in case anyone wants to go. These are pretty cool days with a lot of good info about DCOM, so I would highly encourage anyone to go. It is a great forum to meet the admissions people, ask questions, etc.

And yeah, I did a good job at making myself a Simpsons character. Froggie looks like his avatar too, but only taller, including scrubs and mask. It was kinda weird the first day, but we are all used to it now. We call him "The Surg." :smuggrin: J/K :p He's a good guy :thumbup: :D

To those of you interviewing on the 9th...good luck!! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I'll be leaving for Tennessee in a couple days for my interview :D

To those of you interviewing on the 9th...good luck!! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I'll be leaving for Tennessee in a couple days for my interview :D

I would like to know how it went as well. Please fill us in. I wish you all had a great time at DCOM. I will be leaving in a couple of days too for the interview on the 12th. See all you guys there.

For any of those interesting in checking out DCOM before you interview, apply, mingle with admissions, or just want some more info, DCOM does have open houses. We call them Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conferences (OMAC) because they are also open to the general public, not just students. I am providing a link with the dates in case anyone wants to go. These are pretty cool days with a lot of good info about DCOM, so I would highly encourage anyone to go. It is a great forum to meet the admissions people, ask questions, etc.

And yeah, I did a good job at making myself a Simpsons character. Froggie looks like his avatar too, but only taller, including scrubs and mask. It was kinda weird the first day, but we are all used to it now. We call him "The Surg." :smuggrin: J/K :p He's a good guy :thumbup: :D

I'm going to the one on Dec 15th when I go home (KNoxville) for Christmas, I'm so looking forward to it

I just got back in town from the interview. It was nice and laid back. No pressure at all. The campus is pretty technologically advanced. There's a lot of flat screen TVs. :D

I just got back in town from the interview. It was nice and laid back. No pressure at all. The campus is pretty technologically advanced. There's a lot of flat screen TVs. :D

I to just returned from LMU-DCOM. It is a great school. It's so pretty around the school. It's totally surrounded by "mountains" and is way green. The school is really good about getting student input in helping set up some of the programs. DCOM is priding themselves on their COMLEX prep. From what I got out of the day was that each test they take during their block is in the same format as the COMLEX. So they really want to put out a great product for the community.

I to just returned from LMU-DCOM. It is a great school. It's so pretty around the school. It's totally surrounded by "mountains" and is way green. The school is really good about getting student input in helping set up some of the programs. DCOM is priding themselves on their COMLEX prep. From what I got out of the day was that each test they take during their block is in the same format as the COMLEX. So they really want to put out a great product for the community.

307Doc are you still planning on KCOM?

307Doc are you still planning on KCOM?

I'm not sure at this moment. KCOM is one of my top choices and they have accepted me all ready. It is still early though. I will have to see what some of the other schools say that I've interviewed at. We will see though DCOM is a great school. I didn't like the anatomy lab. There weren't as many cadavers as I thought there should have been. The student that was giving our tour told us half the class uses plastic models while the other half is at the cadaver and then they switch. That was a little discouraging. But like I said I'm not sure where I'll end up. KCOM did have a great feeling about it.

Mastamark, were you in my interview group at either school. I was at KCOM the 5th and DCOM the 9th.

Hello , I really think at the end of the day you should find the school that fits you better, but with the number of bodies I do not think that is an issue. You do not study better when there are more bodies or vice versa. It's the repitition, the number of times you go to the lab and study how the structures look on each body. At PCOM they have about 250-270 students/year and in lab they have about the same proportion of student to bodies as we do. I repeat the most important thing is knowing how the structures are related to each other and being able to identify them on different bodies and also to identify the variations when you see one. We have 4hrs each week to go over the lab which is the structured ones during school hours. That is when we alternate between the students in each group like the student said. After school hours the lab is opened till 12midnight and you can be there and have one on one time with each body if you please.
At the end of the day still take your time and find the school which you best fit in. Good Luck on everything.

For those of you that have already interview at DCOM, how long did they say it would take for you to find out if you have been accepted or not? Thanks!

P.S. anyone else interviewing the 16th?

Mastamark, were you in my interview group at either school. I was at KCOM the 5th and DCOM the 9th.

Oh no...Im sorry I don't interview until November 1st at KCOM(had to change date). DCOM is next week on the 19th. I only asked if you were sticking with KCOM because your sig had "KCOM class of 2012." That's all.

For those of you that have already interview at DCOM, how long did they say it would take for you to find out if you have been accepted or not? Thanks!

Last year, the turnaround time was pretty quick. Usually within a couple weeks. I'm not sure if it will be different this year or not.

To those of you that interviewed today, I really enjoyed meeting with you and hope you enjoyed your time at the school. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have thought of since leaving and I'll do my best to answer.

I believe the AdCom meets on Thursdays.

I just interviewed today, and they told us that they adcom would meet next Thursday and let us know through snail mail after that meeting. I had a great time at the interview :) The building is amazing and the people are super nice. Thanks for the tour nascardoc! :D

I just interviewed today, and they told us that they adcom would meet next Thursday and let us know through snail mail after that meeting. I had a great time at the interview :) The building is amazing and the people are super nice. Thanks for the tour nascardoc! :D

I interviewed on Tuesday, the 9th. Jody said that Dr. Stowers would be personally calling the people that were accepted. This contradicts what they told you. Does anyone know for sure how they are going to let the accepted know? Thanks.

I do remember one admissions person saying they would call only for acceptances, but about two other people I talked to said they would be sending out letters (and didn't mention calling). Perhaps they meant that they would be calling AND sending out letters after the meeting?

I do remember one admissions person saying they would call only for acceptances, but about two other people I talked to said they would be sending out letters (and didn't mention calling). Perhaps they meant that they would be calling AND sending out letters after the meeting?

I interviewed at DCOM yesterday as well and Jody said that the ADCOM will meet on Thurs. and then he will meet w/ the dean either that Friday or the next Mon. to go over the list and then the dean will call ppl who have been accepted (if you're accepted I'm sure you'll get snail mail w/ more details) but then everyone else will hear only by snailmail.

Best of luck to everyone:luck::luck: I REALLY enjoyed my day at DCOM yesterday, the school has a lot to offer and the synergy of the students/faculty was palpable :love:

It was nice to meet you guys who interviewed on Friday. I hope that MJB and I were able to give you all the info you were looking for. You all asked good questions, were a lot of fun to hang around with, and we were both happy we could show you around our facility. We hope you enjoyed your day as well and that we left you wanting more. We both have a lot of passion and pride in DCOM and we hope that we conveyed that effectively to all of you. Remember, if anyone needs anything, you know were to find us. Good luck to you all :thumbup:

For anyone confused on how the "interview results" work, they will call anyone who has been accepted and will send a letter, via snail mail, to everyone stating whether you were accepted (in addition to the phone call), waitlisted, or rejected.

Nascar, MJB, and Froggie I will see you guys this Friday for my interview. Just look for the tall skinny black guy...LOL. I will be at your white coat ceremony/building dedication to show support as well. I am really looking foward to the weekend, but at the same time I am very nervous.

Nascar, MJB, and Froggie I will see you guys this Friday for my interview. Just look for the tall skinny black guy...LOL. I will be at your white coat ceremony/building dedication to show support as well. I am really looking foward to the weekend, but at the same time I am very nervous.

Looking forward to it. Seriously though, not too much to be nervous about. I know, easier said than done, but the interview is pretty laid back. Just be yourself and things will go fine. Hopefully you'll enjoy the ceremonies...they should be pretty cool.

Great! I will try to swing by with Nascardoc on Friday. Seriously, don't be nervous - this will be your least stressful interview! Good luck

Great! I will try to swing by with Nascardoc on Friday. Seriously, don't be nervous - this will be your least stressful interview! Good luck

Thanks guys...I was wondering how you guys were dressing for the white coat ceremony/dedication/barbecue thing. I have heard of some schools doing a casual white coat ceremony(dont know which ones). Are you guys just doing the shirt & tie deal. I just wanted to know so I don't over or under dress for that(never know who you run into).

Thanks guys...I was wondering how you guys were dressing for the white coat ceremony/dedication/barbecue thing. I have heard of some schools doing a casual white coat ceremony(dont know which ones). Are you guys just doing the shirt & tie deal. I just wanted to know so I don't over or under dress for that(never know who you run into).

The students who are getting their white coats will be dressed professionally, but the people attending can be in business casual. If I were you, I would probably wear khakis and a polo shirt - comfy clothes.

How does the interview invitation usually occur? I just got home to a message from DeBusk and was curious. Thanks.

They invited me to the interview over the phone after they left me a message asking me to call back ;)

Sounds good! I'll try to say hi! Have a safe trip...

Looks like nd covered the attire question...

As for interview invites, I don't remember if Jody called or emailed me...Actually, now that I think about it, it was a rather unique situation because it took forever for my secondary to get here, so I was already in contact with them.

Secondary Complete on Monday
Jody left a message today (Wednesday) saying, "Please call us back concerning an interview."
That's FAST! I'm REALLY EXCITED! This is my first interview invite! I hope it wasn't a fluke, lol...

How are anatomy labs done at DCOM? is it dissection done by the students? I am going to the OMAC on 12-15, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew. Thanks

How are anatomy labs done at DCOM? is it dissection done by the students? I am going to the OMAC on 12-15, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew. Thanks

Yeah, I know.

We have individuals (classmates) that dissect the cadavera ahead of time with the exception of certain areas, which we do in class.

Secondary Complete on Monday
Jody left a message today (Wednesday) saying, "Please call us back concerning an interview."
That's FAST! I'm REALLY EXCITED! This is my first interview invite! I hope it wasn't a fluke, lol...
I got the same call today! Congratulations!

This has got to be the worst day of my life. I was to fly out of Ohar today at 140 to knoxville pick up a car and drive to middlesboro. Well I was eight minutes late and American Airlines would not let me board because you must be there 40 minutes before flight(was 32 minutes before). I got rescheduled for 755 tonight which may be delayed due to weather expected. When I do finally get to knoxville the car rental places will be closed. To top it all off I got a ticket driving back home. I thought I lost my drivers license at the airport and I actually had it. I will probably need to take a cab into the harrogate area tonight only to go back to knoxville for a car rental. I just can not belive this is happening to me now.:(

This has got to be the worst day of my life. I was to fly out of Ohar today at 140 to knoxville pick up a car and drive to middlesboro. Well I was eight minutes late and American Airlines would not let me board because you must be there 40 minutes before flight(was 32 minutes before). I got rescheduled for 755 tonight which may be delayed due to weather expected. When I do finally get to knoxville the car rental places will be closed. To top it all off I got a ticket driving back home. I thought I lost my drivers license at the airport and I actually had it. I will probably need to take a cab into the harrogate area tonight only to go back to knoxville for a car rental. I just can not belive this is happening to me now.:(

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things start to look up for you. Good luck with your interview! :luck:

It was great to meet you SDNers during the interview today (October 19th). What exactly did Mr. Carney mean when he said they wouldn't send us rejection letters?

IF this makes you feel any better, i went through a pretty stressful time as well before my interview. I took a flight from albany, NY and ended up missing my connecting in michigan coz my flight from albany wasn't on time. At that point i was like ok i guess delays happen all the time..but later due to bad weather i ended up spending around 9 hours altogether in michigan. Finally when i arrived in knoxville it was past midnight. I had to obviously find a rental car and they had none..i eventually found a minivan around 2am. By the time i got to my hotel it was def around 4.30 coz on the way i got pulled over for speeding (go figure). SO i pretty much had 4 more hours before my interview and i was running on no sleep literally. You know what i made it end of the day..and i am here in DCOM now, so keep your head above the water..don't let anything get you down, i hope you survive this..good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.