LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you all find your house? And how much room do you have for Murphy to run around? Im still so torn about living in the student housing. Id like to for at least the first year just to meet people and have that fun like back in the dorms. Minus the 2 a.m. fire drills. But I would also enjoy it if my dog could come with me and have someone to play with or something. Arrgh, I just dont know...

Well he really just runs around in the apartment right now, but one of our other classmates has a fenced in back yard, and Murphy and her dog hang out. Plus when it wasn't as cold out there are soooo many trails in the park that I would take him one and we'd just go for a run or a hike or whatever. But there are lots of people around with dogs. Although I really did luck out with finding someone to allow me to bring my dog. Most of the places that I looked in to wouldn't let me rent with a dog.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like what I had when Sadie and I were living in Cookeville. I took her to one of the parks at least three times a week, and we chased the ducks. She loves splashing in the water, no matter the temp. And running through the woods. Shes very good at staying on the trails and finding me if I take another one to see if she is paying attention.

Dang. Now I want to find someone to room with me and find a house with a yard and another dog. Hey, is Murph a giant Poodle?

Members don't see this ad :)
He is half lab half standard poodle. When he gets all grown out he looks like a sheep. And my exam is in 23 min.

Yeah, he looks like a shorn sheep in the picture. Mine is a Blue and Red Heeler/Jack Russell mix. Pant loads of energy... and herds things. Its funny usually.

Good luck on the final! :banana: :banana:

Yeah, he looks like a shorn sheep in the picture. Mine is a Blue and Red Heeler/Jack Russell mix. Pant loads of energy... and herds things. Its funny usually.

Good luck on the final! :banana: :banana:

That must be one smart dog. Mine are both black labs. They're so much fun.

Murphy looks like a giant cotton ball with q-tip legs!

My dog is half red healer tooo.. healer/pit mix. I miss him. :( My parents are keeping my dog because he has the whole farm to run on back home and my parents' dog to play with.. but I brought my cat and adopted another stray kitten that was hanging around our place. If we had a fenced yard I would bring him up here.. Its finding the houses with a fenced yard that is the problem.

When did you guys start looking for a place, and did you know each other before you moved in together?

It would be so nice if there was a craigslist harrogate.

I typically enjoy yard work, but I had to seed my lawn this fall while juggling school. That was less than desireable. The awesome thing about TN is, I didn't get the back done until early to mid NOVEMBER, and it's looking awesome now...Just mowed the other day...back home, they have an inch of ice covered with 4-6" of snow. I'll deal with the "frigid cold" that the weather people in Knoxville keep telling me we're experiencing! LOL!

I like owning, and didn't even look to rent since we have 6 critters that live with us.

When did you guys start looking for a place, and did you know each other before you moved in together?

ha, ha craigslist harrogate:D Knoxville doesn't really have a functional craigslist, I can just imagine what types of things would be posted on a harrogate craigslist, it cracks me up just thinking about it

Murphy looks like a giant cotton ball with q-tip legs!

My dog is half red healer tooo.. healer/pit mix. I miss him. :( My parents are keeping my dog because he has the whole farm to run on back home and my parents' dog to play with.. but I brought my cat and adopted another stray kitten that was hanging around our place. If we had a fenced yard I would bring him up here.. Its finding the houses with a fenced yard that is the problem.
:lol::lol: I seriously just spit my juice out laughing..... hahahahaha!!!

Yeah, a craigslist would be nice, but there wouldnt be anything up there but muddin' tires, guns, and probably dogs to give away. Thats the thing, around here, you cant have a front porch unless you have at least five dogs to go underneath it. :D

Hey, randomly, does the walking/running trail that is paved that goes out to the LMU barn on 63 go anywhere else around campus? Or does it just stop there? That would be a nice afternoon jog I'm sure. I guess I'm gonna have to go look for a place to live now.... Id really like to be on the Harrogate side just to not have to deal with the tunnel and Middlesboro in the mornings.

ND, where and how did you find your new place? :)

We met during our interview and then kept in touch through Facebook and Myspace. I found the place in March and started paying rent on it in April.. it rented month to month so I went ahead and grabbed it up. I actually moved in toward the end of May. Martha was having trouble finding a place that would take dogs, but my landlords were ok with it so I asked if she wanted to move in with me because I had an extra room and really wanted the extra cheap rent. I think she ended up moving in in June sometime. We worked in the cadaver lab (which was in the vet tech barn that summer) to pass time and make some extra money until school started. I also waited tables at Webb's to help pay the bills until our checks came in. Everything worked out great. I really lucked out when it came to roomates.:love:

Yeah, a craigslist would be nice, but there wouldnt be anything up there but muddin' tires, guns, and probably dogs to give away. Thats the thing, around here, you cant have a front porch unless you have at least five dogs to go underneath it. :D

Hey, randomly, does the walking/running trail that is paved that goes out to the LMU barn on 63 go anywhere else around campus? Or does it just stop there? That would be a nice afternoon jog I'm sure. I guess I'm gonna have to go look for a place to live now.... Id really like to be on the Harrogate side just to not have to deal with the tunnel and Middlesboro in the mornings.

You can run that trail all the way into Cumberland Gap and go into the park from there. You can also circle back of LMU around the colosseum and on to the business building back up the school rd back to the park on 63. I'm not sure how many miles that is maybe 3 or so.

I wanted to try and find a place on the Ho-gate side too, cuz I thought it was so much nicer than. Mboro... but Mboro is closer to Walmart.. Yeee Haww!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

We actually interviewed together and then kept in touch and it just kind of happened. Which is AWESOME because I couldn't imagine living with anyone else. I have the best, most sane roommate out of any of my other classmates. :love:

Also: NO MORE ANATOMY LAB EVEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :laugh::laugh::thumbup:

And just because I love to do it, here's pictures of murphy.
Puppy, first day home.
n35500551_30334162_3284.jpg

Not clipped.
n35500551_30503277_9231.jpg

Currently.
n35500551_30503268_3192.jpg

He looks amazing! :) Here is a picture of Sadie from this past summer. She was ready to go, and mad at me for not being in the car yet.... ;)

IMG_0994a.jpg

And her and Ginger sitting the the swing.

DSC01246.png

Actually, we kinda fell into it. We heard about it from a prof here at school. It is in Harrogate, about a mile from Oasis. For those of you who know for sure that you will be attending DCOM, I would probably starting looking around now b/c once spring hits and more people are accepted, then it will be harder. You definitely don't need to move right now, but at least start looking and see what is out there. This is especially true for those with pets b/c those places are a lot harder to find. There is a website based on a middlesboro, ky newspaper that has many rentals in there, so that would be a good place to start. There is a link somewhere on this thread for it.

And anatomy class is forever in the past :( I will miss it a lot. The final practical went well, so that is good. I can't believe things are almost done for the semester. Time flies when you're having fun!!!

Hahaha, is she always mad at you? :laugh: I kid, I kid...

They're so cute! I love dogs. I couldn't imagine not bringing murphy with me.

Hahaha, is she always mad at you? :laugh: I kid, I kid...

They're so cute! I love dogs. I couldn't imagine not bringing murphy with me.
Hahaha, no, thats her "I'm trying to look like a big dog" face. She has that a lot. She is vertically challenged because she got stuck with the heeler body and Jack Russell legs. But she can put up a fight with the best of them :D.

Hahaha, no, thats her "I'm trying to look like a big dog" face. She has that a lot. She is vertically challenged because she got stuck with the heeler body and Jack Russell legs. But she can put up a fight with the best of them :D.

I'm sure she could beat the crap out of my dog, he's afraid of everything. :oops: Although probably one of the best things I've ever seen was a chocolate lab basset hound mix. So it had the body and face of a lab with a basset's ears and legs. I wanted to take it home so bad.

OMG!!!!! Murphy, Sadie and Ginger are soooo adorable!!! If I get into LMU, please, please I hope you let me visit/play with all of them! I'm a HUGE dog lover and will have to leave my rescue greyhound with my parents in San Diego if I move to Tennessee. :( So I'm gonna need some dog love. :love:

Here's my baby Rider:

riderhalloweenjv1.jpg

riderap3.jpg

I have no idea why but I love it when dogs cuddle up on pillows. She's adorable!! And of course you can come and play with Murphy, he loves everyone :)

my.php

Attachments

• merltongue.jpg
    merltongue.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 118
I don't really know how to post pics, but here are a few little thumbnails of my dogs.

Ooops, didn't work. If you care to see them just friend me on facebook.

Good lord pamolive, that dog has a HUGE tongue!!!!!! :laugh: So cute!

oh my gosh, yay! dog party! We are going to have to have doggy socials next year! So exciting.....Hey if I don't get accepted maybe I'll just move up there and be the resident DCOM dog walker

I have to leave my dogs at home with my parents :(. I'm going to miss them so much.

Here's a pic of my White German Shepherd and my West Highland White Terrier. They get along despite the huge size difference, lol.

dogsam6.jpg

OMG! I love Larry!! He's so cute! Watch out Tex, I might dognap him. ;)

oh my gosh is Larry a pit bull mix? I"m a huge pitbull-phile

We think Larry is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mix. We are also pretty sure that he is deaf, but he is the best dog ever.

My buddy found him abandoned and injured, sitting in a creek. He was clearly someone's pet at one point, because he was pretty friendly, and jumped right in the car when he opened the door. We've had him for the past couple months, trying to find him a home. People are scared of him because he's so tough, and he's sort of a pit bull. He also sounds really mean when he growls, even though he's just being playful. But I can see why he might be scary for someone.

We think we found someone to take him, but if that doesn't work out, I'm going to see if my buddy can hang onto him until I move to Atlanta for school, and then I'll take him with me. I would just have to keep him away from Michael Vick.

TT, I want your dog. Best dog I ever had was a pit. He's lovely. :)

Larry chased that basketball around the yard for about 4 hours before he was able to pop it. He was so frustrated that he couldn't fit it in his mouth like a tennis ball. He seriously chased it like it was the boogey man. He'd knock it into the pool and jump in after it. Then he'd eventually bat it out of the pool and he'd chase it around the yard some more. Over and over for the whole afternoon, until he finally defeated it.

The picture is of him after his glorious victory. He looks so satisfied.

Dogs are so amazing! :D They are always so light hearted and playful, and its so fun! I love my pups, I hope I can bring Sadie with me, but mom might adopt her and not let me take her away from Ginger.

My turn!!!!
I left these guys at home in Texas.v:(

My puppy Cholo and a couple of our horses.

I got to bring my cat Captain Hook with me.. He's the big guy. The little black kitty is Tigerlilly. They're tired because they just tore something fuzzy up.
DSCN1849.jpg

..Gangsta Murphdog... The best picture ever.
DSCN1820.jpg

Hahahaha, PTesse, it looks like Cholo sits like Sadie does. When she gets excited like when we are playing fetch or something, her butt never gets close to the ground but she is sitting on her haunches and her legs look like that. To actually sit down she goes to one side or the other. How funny.... :) When do you get to go back home to them?

Hahahaha, PTesse, it looks like Cholo sits like Sadie does. When she gets excited like when we are playing fetch or something, her butt never gets close to the ground but she is sitting on her haunches and her legs look like that. To actually sit down she goes to one side or the other. How funny.... :) When do you get to go back home to them?

Hahaha! He does do that!! He has a sturdy butt so he has to roll it to the side. I get to go home on Wed right after the last test. I can't wait! My parents are retiring next year and moving to VA in the summer... so they'll be pretty close with all of our animals. I'm pretty excited about not having to do anymore 15 hour drives. They followed me cuz its so awesome here.... and because my sister (DO in pediatrics) got a job over this way too, lol.

Sorry my pics are so big guys!!! I didn't think they would take up the whole page.

Hey Marthea,
It was great seeing you today and nice seeing ur dogs!

(I was the more talkative pre-med, Furhan just in case u forgot).

Can someone teach me how to post pictures?

Hey, I've been accepted and I sent in my matriculation deposit a few weeks ago for the class of 2012. I'm very excited to start, but kind of nervous about being rural after being born and growing up in Chicago, IL. Good to meet everyone! :)

Hey, I've been accepted and I sent in my matriculation deposit a few weeks ago for the class of 2012. I'm very excited to start, but kind of nervous about being rural after being born and growing up in Chicago, IL. Good to meet everyone! :)

I'm from Chicago and the transition isn't bad. You will miss the food though. I plan on eating at many places over the next 2 weeks :corny:

Sent you a PM. :)

Thanks.

Here's my pups, finally.

This is Monte, he's 4
montepoolig5.jpg

This is Merl, he's 4 too.
merlbedqb7.jpg

I'm not sure which one this is.
merltonguevl6.jpg

Here they are together. They love each other.
montemerltt8.jpg

I got Merl when he was 6 weeks old from a breeder when I was a sophomore in undergrad. I used to volunteer occasionally at the humane society walking dogs and cleaning kennels. I found Monte there. He was there for a few months, and had been taken and brought back about 6 times. He was really hyper and kept getting adopted by people who didn't have the time or energy for him. They were going to send him to denver to be euthanized, so I decided to adopt him. It was the best decision ever. He's such a great dog. He just needed someone who could wear him out on a daily basis.

Hey Marthea,

Good luck tomorrow!!! I know you'll do awesome.:D I was the one sitting next to Marthea.. the roomie. Just try and stay relaxed. I think you'll win em over.:thumbup:

rose351 - student apartments for first year at least
unknown3234 - Renting/possible buying house/apt
hoss22 - LaFollette for 2 years then back to Knoxville
gobluegirl - student apartments for the first/second year -
kimxwipe - student apartments for the first year -
dr. kicia - maybe buy a house, or will just make my life easy and rent out a studio appartment...we will see...
Fate408 - I think I'm going to try to rent an apt/house but I'm not for sure
EEL08 -
pamolive - Still deciding on whether or not to attend...
Alpie -
Tessy -
Zsquared -
Dr. Titanium -
Moestar -
StartingOver -
HopefulDoc1984 -
Syncope82 -

Congrats to the newest acceptance, Syncope82!! :banana:

Pamolive, those dogs are beautiful!! I see why you dont want to part with them now. I wouldnt either! I would think that DCOM would offer more in the way of yards for them to run in than PCOM would. ;) Thats just me though...

Nascardoc, are you trying to say that Harrogate and Middlesboro... well, this area in general, is culturally challenged? Cause we really are....

Hey Marthea,

Yes, you were the one that couldn't keep your mouth shut and made all of the mean comments... :smuggrin:

You'll do great tomorrow! Good luck. :luck:

rose351 - student apartments for first year at least
unknown3234 - Renting/possible buying house/apt
hoss22 - LaFollette for 2 years then back to Knoxville
gobluegirl - student apartments for the first/second year -
kimxwipe - student apartments for the first year -
dr. kicia - maybe buy a house, or will just make my life easy and rent out a studio appartment...we will see...
Fate408 - I think I'm going to try to rent an apt/house but I'm not for sure
EEL08 -
pamolive - Still deciding on whether or not to attend...
Alpie -
Tessy -
Zsquared -
Dr. Titanium -
Moestar -
StartingOver -
HopefulDoc1984 -
Syncope82 -

Congrats to the newest acceptance, Syncope82!! :banana:

Pamolive, those dogs are beautiful!! I see why you dont want to part with them now. I wouldnt either! I would think that DCOM would offer more in the way of yards for them to run in than PCOM would. ;) Thats just me though...

Nascardoc, are you trying to say that Harrogate and Middlesboro... well, this area in general, is culturally challenged? Cause we really are....

Yeah, I know. I did find one place in Manyunk right by PCOM that had a huge yard. The owner ran a dog boarding/day care business downstairs so it was the perfect place. If I end up staying here I'll probably move in there. Just so you know though, I am definitely putting down a deposit at DCOM cause I won't hear back from PCOM till late feb/early march. Even if I do get in here, I don't know what I'll do. It might come down to a coin flip for me :D

Yeah, I know. I did find one place in Manyunk right by PCOM that had a huge yard. The owner ran a dog boarding/day care business downstairs so it was the perfect place. If I end up staying here I'll probably move in there. Just so you know though, I am definitely putting down a deposit at DCOM cause I won't hear back from PCOM till late feb/early march. Even if I do get in here, I don't know what I'll do. It might come down to a coin flip for me :D
Hmmm, a coin flip would be awfully dramatic.... i like it! :laugh: Good that we have you at least until March though ;)

When it comes to food...yes :laugh: :p I had some classmates over about a week ago and introduced them to Chicago food and they all loved it. We had Italian beef sandwiches and baked mosticcholi. Next, I am going to order some deep dish pizza and make their taste buds really go crazy. But seriously, a Chilis in Harrogate would be a great thing...that is all I want :oops:. Even a Buffalo Wild Wings. I know I can go into K-ville for these, but something within 5 minutes would be nice. Oh well...I still love DCOM, and it makes going home just that much sweeter. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.