LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Roughly how many people have been interviewed so far? Is it late to interview in early December?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! I interviewed on October 25th (Tuesday) and just received a call from Dr. Stowers about 10 minutes ago. It's a nice personal touch that he does that.

Accepteddddddd!!!!!!!

Gotto loveeee the call..its friday at 9!! Wow

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats kids. Accepted as well. Perhaps I'll see YALL down south.:)

Well done paracrine, se2000, and clinke!! :thumbup: if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats??? ;)

Congratulations to those accepted tonight! :cool: :thumbup:

Well done paracrine, se2000, and clinke!! :thumbup: if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats??? ;)

As long as your don't make fun... lol

3.26/3.1/25M The only good thing on my app is my research experience.

As long as your don't make fun... lol

3.26/3.1/25M The only good thing on my app is my research experience.

Lol, no need to be bashful about your stats, they are quite solid anyways. Are you in-state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Roughly how many people have been interviewed so far? Is it late to interview in early December?

Not really, I would expect we'd be near the halfway point by that time though. I think a couple people have mentioned that on interview day they were told the class would probably be about half full by the Christmas holidays. They didn't tell us anything to that effect on my interview day.

Last year I interviewed in early Feb, and there are several people in my class from that same day. For the most part if they are interviewing you, there are spots available.

what time did interview day end for you guys?? is it cutting it too close to fly out from tyson @ 545pm?

what time did interview day end for you guys?? is it cutting it too close to fly out from tyson @ 545pm?

If you need to leave early to catch an early flight that is okay; you can just skip the tour of the university dorm rooms. Several people in my interview group did this. They are very accomodating with everyone's schedule. I do recommend if you need to leave early to drive yourself to the interview and not take the University shuttle since then you would have to rely on the shuttle taking you back to your hotel to get your car.

Seems like even with the tour the day ended at about 2:30. You should be fine.

Its been over a week since I was complete and I haven't heard anything. Is this a bad sign? I am so nervous!!

can anyone pm me advice about the interview at lmu? i have mine for early dec..thanks!
Congrats Futuredoc on your interview invite ! when were you complete ?
I am waiting on my interview invite coming too !:)

Complete EMAIL: 11/8
Interview Invite: 11/9 :D

Scheduled for Dec 6th but possibly interviewing Nov 21/22

i called today and they asked me to schedule my interview...what a nice surprise! dec. 13th!

I interviewed nov 8th and I just got the call from Dean Stowers at 7pm nov 9th. I got accepted!

I interviewed nov 8th and I just got the call from Dean Stowers at 7pm nov 9th. I got accepted!

Nice turnaround! Congrats to you and look forward to being colleagues! :thumbup:

how long does it take to get the complete email from submitting the secondary and knowing that your lors are in?

how long does it take to get the complete email from submitting the secondary and knowing that your lors are in?

Mine was literally a day between getting my SECONDARY/LORs in to get my completion email.

Does anyone know what days they usually call for interview invites? Also, about how long after the secondary conformation message? Thanks

Does anyone know what days they usually call for interview invites? Also, about how long after the secondary conformation message? Thanks

No clue on what's typical but I personally received the II phone call on a Friday afternoon.

Did anyone else get waitlisted at LMU? How many people usually get off the wait-list, if any?

Had my interview on the 8th and was accepted the next day at 5pm. All the hype about the school is definitely true...this school is amazing!!! I've also interviewed at KCUMB and WVSOM and while these are both great schools, DCOM was by far the best fit for me. I will definitely attend! :)

Congrats guys!! Hope to see you all in July! :D

To the people who attend this school, or has the interest to attend, what is attractive about this school besides the beautiful location and new facility? Is there something unique about the curriculum that make you choose this over other places?

Last edited:

Mine came on a Monday morning.

I do not think they review files in alphabetical order but I don't know how they do it.

To the people who attend this school, or has the interest to attend, what is attractive about this school besides the beautiful location and new facility? Is there something unique about the curriculum that make you choose this over other places?

They're starting a kind of modified body systems approach curriculum with us in the Fall. Instead of doing body systems back to back they will be overlapping them in a very systematic fashion so that we have some overlap of material between body systems.

I.E. at a traditional body systems school they might learn about congestive heart failure in Cardiology in August. Then, in October, when they're doing Renal they will learn about it in the kidneys. On this modified approach they have made it so that major topics overlap as much as possible. Thus, for congestive heart failure, you might learn about it in Cardio at 8AM and learn about it in Renal at 9AM.

However, it's still a body systems approach in that the material is still quite spread out and independent of most other body systems. Personally, I like this thought process and it makes more sense to me. I believe the current students will be using something somewhat similar and they told us our 2016 schedule is the culmination of everything they've gathered so far about what their curriculum needs to be. You can tell they've spent a tremendous amount of time scheduling it.

Additionally, the new sciences building opens in the Spring. In addition to just being a shiny new building it will also feature a very expanded anatomy lab. Their existing anatomy lab is already really nice but my understanding of the plans for the new one sound wonderful. The school will be going to a dissection method of learning (they have been prosection in the past) which is important for me as I'm a hands on learner.

Lastly, everything you do at DCOM is geared toward board exams. Clinical exposure begins right off the bat with simulated patients and is carried throughout your entire first two years. Included in that is some time in their community clinic with real patients. Unlike some schools where the first two years is simply the intellectual foundations of what you will learn about clinical work during rotations.... DCOM starts the clinical foundations literally within the first couple of weeks. Certainly, this is a major reason that they receive such glowing reviews of students on rotations.

I hope that helps!

Also, for those who don't know, DCOM offers an MBA program which can be completed during the Summer prior to start med school. You basically build a five-year plan for opening your own practice and have to do all of the actual field research to find a location, etc. After the Summer, you do have other work to do in order to finish up the MBA requirements but they are online for DCOM students and can be completed at your leisure.

With the opening of the new sciences building DCOM will also begin their research program - something they don't really have at this moment from my judgment. I'm not interested in doing bench research so I don't know the full particulars on this. I just know the new building will have a footprint for them to begin doing that.

Also, for those who don't know, DCOM offers an MBA program which can be completed during the Summer prior to start med school. You basically build a five-year plan for opening your own practice and have to do all of the actual field research to find a location, etc. After the Summer, you do have other work to do in order to finish up the MBA requirements but they are online for DCOM students and can be completed at your leisure.

With the opening of the new sciences building DCOM will also begin their research program - something they don't really have at this moment from my judgment. I'm not interested in doing bench research so I don't know the full particulars on this. I just know the new building will have a footprint for them to begin doing that.

Do you know what the schedule looks like for the summer MBA program? I mean to say really, if one were interested in taking the summer-intensive Gross course, would he/she be able to pursue both?

Do you know what the schedule looks like for the summer MBA program? I mean to say really, if one were interested in taking the summer-intensive Gross course, would he/she be able to pursue both?

I'm going to have to guess it wouldn't be feasible to do both. The MBA course was from like 8am-2pm each day and I believe it went basically to within a week of the start of the semester.

You might check with them during your interview day and get an official answer. The MBA program is actually through LMU itself so they're incredibly flexible with the DCOM students.

I'm stoked to do research here.

hey thanks guys!
1q..how long does it take to get the letter package? and whens the date of payment (1month after?)

to those that asked, my gpa was very similar to the other poster with changes here of there:

sci gpa 3.3
cgpa 3.2
4.0 last 2 years,
4.0 masters
27S mcat,

and lots of research too...4 papers

hey thanks guys!
1q..how long does it take to get the letter package? and whens the date of payment (1month after?)

to those that asked, my gpa was very similar to the other poster with changes here of there:

sci gpa 3.3
cgpa 3.2
4.0 last 2 years,
4.0 masters
27S mcat,

and lots of research too...4 papers

They follow the AACOMAS payment schedule guidelines shown below:

Those accepted prior to November 15 will have
until December 14
• Those accepted between November 15 and
January 14 will have 30 days
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14
will have 14 days
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for
an immediate deposit

I have not received any kind of package requesting information in the mail. They told me it would likely be after the first of the year.

Do you know if that is 30 days from the date of acceptance? Or 30 days after Jan 14th?