LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing 12/14, Robin Lamb called yesterday, Who will be there?

Members don't see this ad.

They're starting a kind of modified body systems approach curriculum with us in the Fall. Instead of doing body systems back to back they will be overlapping them in a very systematic fashion so that we have some overlap of material between body systems.

I.E. at a traditional body systems school they might learn about congestive heart failure in Cardiology in August. Then, in October, when they're doing Renal they will learn about it in the kidneys. On this modified approach they have made it so that major topics overlap as much as possible. Thus, for congestive heart failure, you might learn about it in Cardio at 8AM and learn about it in Renal at 9AM.

However, it's still a body systems approach in that the material is still quite spread out and independent of most other body systems. Personally, I like this thought process and it makes more sense to me. I believe the current students will be using something somewhat similar and they told us our 2016 schedule is the culmination of everything they've gathered so far about what their curriculum needs to be. You can tell they've spent a tremendous amount of time scheduling it.

Additionally, the new sciences building opens in the Spring. In addition to just being a shiny new building it will also feature a very expanded anatomy lab. Their existing anatomy lab is already really nice but my understanding of the plans for the new one sound wonderful. The school will be going to a dissection method of learning (they have been prosection in the past) which is important for me as I'm a hands on learner.

Lastly, everything you do at DCOM is geared toward board exams. Clinical exposure begins right off the bat with simulated patients and is carried throughout your entire first two years. Included in that is some time in their community clinic with real patients. Unlike some schools where the first two years is simply the intellectual foundations of what you will learn about clinical work during rotations.... DCOM starts the clinical foundations literally within the first couple of weeks. Certainly, this is a major reason that they receive such glowing reviews of students on rotations.

I hope that helps!
Great information. Appreciate it.

ok so i understand its a closed file interview...but ive read the interview feedback and some of the questions had me confused...
people who have recently interviewed here pleasee tell me...what EXACTLY will they have access to? secondary essay? personal statement? anything?
or nothinggg at all and i'll just be sitting there starting to tell them about me from beginning?

2nd question: what are they NOT allowed to ask? if they dont have access to my gpa/mcat...im guessing they cant ASK me that rite?

would they know or talk about me volunteer/clinical experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so i understand its a closed file interview...but ive read the interview feedback and some of the questions had me confused...
people who have recently interviewed here pleasee tell me...what EXACTLY will they have access to? secondary essay? personal statement? anything?
or nothinggg at all and i'll just be sitting there starting to tell them about me from beginning?

2nd question: what are they NOT allowed to ask? if they dont have access to my gpa/mcat...im guessing they cant ASK me that rite?

would they know or talk about me volunteer/clinical experiences?

They know NOTHING about you when you come into the interview. They will only know what you tell them or what they ask you and your responses. Their first question to me was the generic tell me about yourself and why are you here, why do you want to be an osteopathic physician and why DCOM. All of my answers to them were much much more lengthy than in my other open file interviews. The reason why is because they knew nothing about me and so I wanted to make sure they knew the positive things about my application. Once they start finding out more about you from your responses they ask you questions on those...so this is good because you can really direct how the whole interview goes by choosing what to divulge and what to focus on. Personally, they did not ask me a single question about classes, grades, MCAT, etc. But that is probably because they were very focused on the other things I have done since I am non-traditional. I did not prepare for the interview since I personally do better when I answer unrehearsed; however, if you are nervous you may want to come up with some points you definitely want them to know about you and make sure YOU bring them up in the interview since they may not ask questions that would naturally bring out these points.

To your second question, they are allowed to ask you anything they want. They asked me what other schools I applied to. That caught me off-guard but I just answered honestly. So they could ask about your grades/MCAT/whatever.

I cannot recall exactly but I think they either asked about volunteer experience or I brought it up myself but we did talk about it. If they don't bring it up then make sure you bring it up if you have good experiences.

Good Luck on your Interview and don't worry because it was a very non-stressful day :luck:

From what I was told from Dr. Leo,

The interview is BLIND (or as you said closed). Thus, they know nothing about you but your name.

They just want to know ur a good fit here...
Why do
Why rural
Why med
Can u see ur self here for 2+ years with nothing to do but study

...i was from big city

Just like a 1-2 convo...always great to lighten the mood..if u have that personality with jokes n stuff

By the time u know it its done..N ur like that was it!!!
Then u wonder if a 1 hr interview and mmi would be better for the cost to come here lol

does the school have a particular "type" of applicant they are looking for? I am trying to see what they look for when granting interviews to applicants

does the school have a particular "type" of applicant they are looking for? I am trying to see what they look for when granting interviews to applicants

Biased towards: Primary care, those looking to work with the under served (not necessarily rural under served), and those from the Appalachian region. Historically they really like anyone with prior healthcare experience (nurses, paramedics, etc.) and non-traditional students. As with any school, that does not mean if you are none of those things you don't stand a chance.

If you're a 4.0 student with a 35 MCAT and a lab rat... you probably don't fit in at DCOM and DCOM probably doesn't fit well with you. If you want to be a "people's doctor" and are going into medicine for that reason then welcome home!

I think I would have to disagree with your statement regarding the type of person they are looking for being neg towards research. For one, they are trying to push more research as a part of the curricula. Part of the osteopathic mission is for doctors to also be educators for their patients and the community in order to promote preventative medicine. The best docs are those that stay up to date on the newest and most effective research and technology that pertains to his/her practice. To say that being a lab rat makes one less of a people oriented doctor is naive to say the least. And to further support this statement, of I remember correctly, DCOM is opening up new research facilities. I can only predict that one day they may be looking to start an DO/PhD program

Last edited:
I think I would have to disagree with your statement regarding the type of person they are looking for being neg towards research. For one, they are trying to push more research as a part of the curricula. Part of the osteopathic mission is for doctors to also be educators for their patients and the community in order to promote preventative medicine. The best docs are those that stay up to date on the newest and most effective research and technology that pertains to his/her practice. To say that being a lab rat makes one less of a people oriented doctor is naive to say the least. And to further support this statement, of I remember correctly, DCOM is opening up new research facilities. I can only predict that one day they may be looking to start an MD/PhD program

I didn't mean any negativity toward research - I do research myself. I simply meant if you're the stereotypical non-social super genius who can't relate with anyone you might feel out of place. The school is all about relationships / family atmosphere and everyone I've talked to says the guys/gals who go through it studying alone and not coming to lecture seem miserable. You have to be a social person who fits in and they will tell you they're looking for that on interview day.

Also, I didn't mean for the last point to be a contrasting one. That is, I didn't mean that typical genius students aren't social people. That's too vast a claim to make. I work with plenty of top tier students who are socialites. A person can certainly be both - however, it's no secret that DCOM looks more for a person who can relate with people than someone who can work efficiently in a lab. As you've said, this may change as programs change. Either way, I won't claim to lack naivety.

If DCOM starts an MD/PhD program then I'm getting the hell out of dodge... the zombie apocalypse will have appeared! :p:)

If you're a 4.0 student with a 35 MCAT and a lab rat... you probably don't fit in at DCOM and DCOM probably doesn't fit well with you. If you want to be a "people's doctor" and are going into medicine for that reason then welcome home!

What?

Guys, don't get too caught up in this stuff. This is a medical school just like any other medical school. The admissions committee is looking for people who will make capable and competent physicians, who will get through the next 4 years without an issue and will make the school look good when they graduate. Trying to go any deeper than that is a useless exercise.

If you have good stats and aren't malignant at the interview, you will probably get in. If your stats are marginal and you have some other fantastic qualities, you might get in. The rules are the same as anywhere else. I have classmates that are all over the spectrum (including plenty of cool people who have great stats and are interested in research).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any one interviewing on Dec 6 and willing to carpool send me a PM? We can split the rent. My driver's license is expired, so there is no way I can rent a car. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
what?

Guys, don't get too caught up in this stuff. This is a medical school just like any other medical school. The admissions committee is looking for people who will make capable and competent physicians, who will get through the next 4 years without an issue and will make the school look good when they graduate. Trying to go any deeper than that is a useless exercise.

If you have good stats and aren't malignant at the interview, you will probably get in. If your stats are marginal and you have some other fantastic qualities, you might get in. The rules are the same as anywhere else. I have classmates that are all over the spectrum (including plenty of cool people who have great stats and are interested in research).

amen!

MY BAD. edited. I misspoke in my passionate research rant. lol

Sorry just pisses me off hardcore when people use a stereotype like that. ESP other researchers or docs. Those who really are naive, remember that kind of stuff ... Even disregarding research as second rate to a MD/DO is just sad. I have been doing research for two years now and, granted, don't think it is something that I could do for the rest of my life. For those who dedicate their lives as DO/PhD's or MD/PhD's however, more props to them for really taking their career to the extra level.

K, i'm leaving the pedestal now lol

Hey,

If anyone ends up dropping their interview on Thanksgiving week, will you please PM me? If I get an interview for thanksgiving, I get an excuse to go home to visit my family. I haven't seen them in several months! :(

I didn't mean any negativity toward research - I do research myself. I simply meant if you're the stereotypical non-social super genius who can't relate with anyone you might feel out of place. The school is all about relationships / family atmosphere and everyone I've talked to says the guys/gals who go through it studying alone and not coming to lecture seem miserable. You have to be a social person who fits in and they will tell you they're looking for that on interview day.

Also, I didn't mean for the last point to be a contrasting one. That is, I didn't mean that typical genius students aren't social people. That's too vast a claim to make. I work with plenty of top tier students who are socialites. A person can certainly be both - however, it's no secret that DCOM looks more for a person who can relate with people than someone who can work efficiently in a lab. As you've said, this may change as programs change. Either way, I won't claim to lack naivety.

If DCOM starts an MD/PhD program then I'm getting the hell out of dodge... the zombie apocalypse will have appeared! :p:)

If they started a DO/PhD I would be all other that... Just saying.

really?? noo wayyyyy....
post a link...i LOVE research...been involved for a LONG time...

im sensing some research-oriented applicants are selected...as the last acceptance poster also had alote of research

really?? noo wayyyyy....

im sensing some research-oriented applicants are selected...as the last acceptance poster also had alote of research

I don't have a specific link for ya but my sis is the president (I think) lol of the pre med club or something at LMU undergrad. She was telling me with the new building, they are gonna not only be splitting up the PA and DOs, as well as making more space for students, that they are adding research labs. I HIGHLY doubt that research will become a big part of LMU DCOM while we are goig through med school but, it will be slowly integrated pending on interest, funding, etc. gotta have professors receiving nice NIH funds before ya can build a decent program lol

Still haven't heard from LMU. I was complete about 2 weeks ago! I'm so nervous, it's killing me.

OMG MY INTERVIEW JUST GOT MOVED TO THIS WEDNESDAY !!!!! See y'all who are interviewing tomorrow!!

Guys and gals, it's water over a duck's back - all I meant was if you're this kid there's probably a school that's a better fit for you.

Nerd-New-Year-11-11-11.jpg

Don't make it something it's not... cheers and good luck on interviews! :thumbup::luck:

Interviewed 10/23...got a call from the dean on 11/4!!! :laugh:

really?? noo wayyyyy....

They seemed interested in the fact that I wanted to do research in medical school as well. Hopefully they'll atleast be some interesting projects for those that are very interested and have a background. :D

same thing...some possible research bias..yay

i think the other 2-3 posters were also research heavy i guess they need students to fill up their labs..ahahahaah

LMU-DCOM Class of 2016 :) My matriculation fee is in! So excited!!!

I'm new to the DO scene, so please pardon my ignorance: Do you think it's still worthwhile to submit a primary here?

Good luck to all.

I saw you posted on the PCOM thread too ...

PCOM and DCOM are def WORTHWHILE to apply to. However, chances of getting an interview at PCOM will probably be incredibly difficult at this time given that they get 7000 ish applicants. I would however, consider applying to DCOM. Half the class is generally filled by DEC so there is still hope! Just need to get your letters and secondary in ASAP

have you been verified?..if not..i think its too late...

have you been verified?..if not..i think its too late...

Not necessarily true. I was finally complete on 12/6 last year, and here I am... He's late for sure, but not out.

I'm new to the DO scene, so please pardon my ignorance: Do you think it's still worthwhile to submit a primary here?

Good luck to all.

Best admissions advice I was given by an admissions counselor, "It's always too late if you never apply." Just get your app in quick. Are your chances decreased compared to Jun/Jul/Aug? Yes. Are your chances completely shot? Not at all.

Verification of primaries is taking about 2-3 weeks right now so keep that in mind. Every day counts at this point!

I hope everyone's application season is going well :thumbup:

I just withdrew my application, thus freeing up an interview slot on Nov 29th.

GL all :)

Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to wait the year out, retake my MCAT, and simultaneously reapply to both DO & MD next year. It's a difficult decision, but a necessary one. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to wait the year out, retake my MCAT, and simultaneously reapply to both DO & MD next year. It's a difficult decision, but a necessary one. Good luck!

You are not too late. DO application deadlines are later than MD deadlines. Most schools will interview through April, some even into May. Just know that you need to get your AACOMAS submitted ASAP.

Hey everyone I'm so excited to see this forum. I am a non trad who's been accepted. I will be coming with my spouse and kids. So does anyone else have kids? Does anyone who's currently a student have any info on elementary schools (our kids are currently busy in swim/soccer, etc...)?

Last edited:
Hey guys! 12 of us just interviewed today and had an awesome time! GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! Hoping to hear good news soon:)

Since the interview is closed file are there any good opportunities to mention some significant accomplishments we would like them to be aware of....without sounding like you are bragging? I would imagine the tell me about yourself prompt might be a good start, but I wouldn't want to spend several minutes on one of the first questions. Any advice?

There is adequate opportunity since it is a closed file. I mean really, you can steer the convo where you want to by how you start. If they ask to "tell them about yourself" then work in those accomplishments briefly and let then segue into inquiring more on it. And if you for some reason don't get the chance, they will see it on your application. The interview is really more to see who you are and what you hope to see from DCOM and visa versa since they have all the academic, work, research, and volunteer stuff on file. Honestly, In my interview, the few things I got a chance to implement into the convo about accomplishments ended up being very touch and go. The interviewers didn't spend a whole lotta time digging deep into those things.

I interviewed yesterday and was quite disappointed by dcom. Literally the town is so small it is absurd. Also the staff wasn't overly friendly except for bob the tour guide. They didnt show us the anatomy labs and the living there ie university inn is awful. This is one trip i wish I didn't waste my time or money on. Oh and none of the staff could explain their new curriculum.

I interviewed yesterday and was quite disappointed by dcom. Literally the town is so small it is absurd. Also the staff wasn't overly friendly except for bob the tour guide. They didnt show us the anatomy labs and the living there ie university inn is awful. This is one trip i wish I didn't waste my time or money on. Oh and none of the staff could explain their new curriculum.

Sorry it was disappointing, but every school does not meet everyone's desires or needs. Take for instance, you are from Iowa and I interviewed earlier this year at DMU. The school facilities were great, but as the day wore on I became less interested with being there. I had 2 acceptances before I went, but I wanted to weigh all my options. Now granted, I was not accepted there, but I believe the feeling was mutual that DMU was not the best fit for me and I am ok with that. There is the "right" school for everyone that truly wants to be a doctor for all the right reasons, but it is up to that student to figure it out.

Maybe DCOM was not for you, but trust me it was not a waste of money. Every interview you go on and school you visit you gain valuable information and insight as to why you want to be a doctor and where you will fit in the best. I know DCOM is right for me and that's why I will be attending as part of the class of 2016.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the school that will be the "right fit".

LMU-DCOM class of 2016!!

Fre3sh7, what school are you leaning towards of the ones you have been accepted to?

Also, how many people generally get off the wait-list at LMU and accepted? Just wondering:)

Last edited:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and obviously this school isn't for you. However, I would just like to comment on a few things for everyone who might be influenced by this comment.

I have lived in/near a city for most of my life, and I was REALLY worried about moving to Harrogate, however, after moving here there are VERY few things I miss. Especially because you really have no idea how little time you really will have until you get here...and the free time you do have is either going to be filled with all those things you haven't had time for (cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc.), sleeping, working out, or vegging on the couch. We have a few bars around, a "mall" that is big enough to get basic clothes items and stuff, a $2.00 movie theatre that I have really only had time to go to once since the semester started, and a Walmart (of course you NEED one of those right?!!?). Plus, if you are really missing something, you can always go to Knoxville....(I just got my sushi fix, and it was wonderful!). Also, we always think up ways to be social....we have had bonfires, class pizza parties at Oasis, intramural sports, and all sorts of other fun things :)

Really, if I were to complain about something that we didn't have it would be good food/coffee shops. There are very few real restaurants around, and not really a whole lot of places you can get healthy food. There is 1 coffee shop, but it has weird hours (although I have heard certain rumors about a certain coffee chain opening in the new building....cross your fingers!), however it has really good (healthy) food and amazing coffee, as well as a back room (it feels like it was designed especially for DCOM students) with white boards/comfy chairs, if you want to study. And honestly, it is less expensive to cook my own healthy food at home anyway.

As for housing, you don't HAVE to live on campus. There is plenty of really beautiful, extremely affordable housing, right around campus. I live in a really nice 2 bedroom house with a massive fenced in backyard for my dog that's about 5 min from school (probably the same distance or closer than the school's housing). Plus, you really can't beat the beauty of this place....I wake up every morning to the most amazing view out my window and it instantly puts me in a good mood!

Lastly, I am not sure exactly what you mean by the "new" curriculum. The school is fairly new, and the curriculum changes slightly every year...but as far as I know there isn't a totally new curriculum happening next year. We are on a semi-systems based curriculum. The first semester is slightly more traditional and it gets more systems based as you go on. I am not exactly sure what kinds of questions you asked to the faculty, but I'm sure they just honestly didn't know the little things that are going to change about the curriculum next year, because they probably haven't set anything in stone yet....however, they do take into account all sorts of comments by us about what we would have liked better/things we would change about the curriculum, and each year is better than the next (or so I've heard).

Oh, I'm sorry you didn't get to see the anatomy lab, it is really quite awesome. There might have been a class in there or something, so they couldn't take you in, however, next year's class won't even have their anatomy lab in that room....we are building a massive new building that will house the new anatomy lab that I've heard is going to be 2-3 times bigger than the one we have. It should be pretty awesome.

Anyway, sorry about the novel, but that comment just got to me, and I really wanted to give a perspective from a student who lives and learns here, because I would hate for one negative comment to influence anyone else's decision. I have had the most amazing time meeting and talking to all of you, and I can't even tell you how much I love this school, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Just make the right decision for you! :thumbup:

Fre3sh7, what school are you leaning towards of the ones you have been accepted to?

Also, how many people generally get off the wait-list at LMU and accepted? Just wondering:)

I was hanging out with the interviewees the other day, and Janette told them that they usually waitlist ~100 people, and I think she said they usually take about 30-40 off a year...

Sorry you had a bad trip! I'm surprised to hear you didn't find the staff friendly, that is usually not the case at all.

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to see the anatomy lab-- they really are pretty nice. As far as the inn and the town, well, I can see where you're coming from. I don't live at the inn because I wasn't impressed either, and though the town is small I've learned to appreciate the quiet atmosphere for the time being (especially for my study routine).

If you have any lingering concerns about the curriculum I'd be happy to answer questions.

The reason we didn't get to see the lab is because the tables were open so that they could clean the cadavers. The cadavers will quickly grow fungi if not well maintained and the students will have less time to work with them. It is a rule in EVERY gross anatomy lab that you cannot enter the laboratory while the cadavers are exposed without having signed a waiver that covers both the school and the families who donated the bodies.