LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed yesterday and was quite disappointed by dcom. Literally the town is so small it is absurd. Also the staff wasn't overly friendly except for bob the tour guide. They didnt show us the anatomy labs and the living there ie university inn is awful. This is one trip i wish I didn't waste my time or money on. Oh and none of the staff could explain their new curriculum.

The fact that current DCOM students are actually "apologizing" that you feel that way and are nicely pointing out the pros of the school reflect the camaraderie of the student body. So perhaps it works out well that you're going to VCOM instead because if my classmate had that negative attitude, I would be quite disappointed as well.

By the way, the "friendliness" of a school's staff is not indicative of your success in medical school. That is ultimately up to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Note to self, do not post using your phone (spelling errors or most common word errors, ugh!!!)

Anyway, I'm sorry someone didn't have a good visit at the university. I have found them to be very helpful and very quick to respond to any of my questions or concerns. Hopefully, you will find your fit at another university.

Good luck.

Congrats to all those accepted thus far. Has a class of 2016 FB page been started yet?

Note to self, do not post using your phone (spelling errors or most common word errors, ugh!!!)

Anyway, I'm sorry someone didn't have a good visit at the university. I have found them to be very helpful and very quick to respond to any of my questions or concerns. Hopefully, you will find your fit at another university.

Good luck.

Congrats to all those accepted thus far. Has a class of 2016 FB page been started yet?

Class of 2016 Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/255862157789612/ :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi you 'all,

If somebody happens to cancel their interview next week (Nov 20/21), please PM me... I would really like to advance my interview date ! Thanks

I was hanging out with the interviewees the other day, and Janette told them that they usually waitlist ~100 people, and I think she said they usually take about 30-40 off a year...

Wow, that's a lot of people! Usually, do people get accepted like end of spring? April/May?

Wow, that's a lot of people! Usually, do people get accepted like end of spring? April/May?

I think maybe I was slightly off with that number, it does seem really high...maybe she said 20-30....that just sounds more right haha. Anyway, I don't know when they would start taking people off the waitlist...but I would assume sometime in the spring.

Don't know if it has already been discussed but could any current students/area residents point me in the right direction for finding cheap living ($300-$500/month) and bonus points if the place has a garage.

Thank you.

You probably aren't going to be able to find a place right now...housing usually doesn't start opening up until the spring. I would say if you are looking for a cheaper place you might want to find a roommate. Are you coming with a family or by yourself? I live in a 2 bedroom house with a large backyard (but no garage) for 700/mo. If you are willing to go a bit higher on your budget you could find a really nice place with plenty of space. However, like I said I would wait a bit, because it is hard to find housing this early. 2 places to start looking would be DCOMDO.com and the class of 2016 facebook page. People will start posting usually around March/April.

You probably aren't going to be able to find a place right now...housing usually doesn't start opening up until the spring. I would say if you are looking for a cheaper place you might want to find a roommate. Are you coming with a family or by yourself? I live in a 2 bedroom house with a large backyard (but no garage) for 700/mo. If you are willing to go a bit higher on your budget you could find a really nice place with plenty of space. However, like I said I would wait a bit, because it is hard to find housing this early. 2 places to start looking would be DCOMDO.com and the class of 2016 facebook page. People will start posting usually around March/April.

A 2 room/big backyard for 700 is definitely doable and a garage isn't a necessity, I would just like a place to keep my baby (zx-10r). As for me I am a single guy so a roommate would be nice to split costs, but I may be getting ahead of myself here especially seeing as nothing is even set in stone yet.

Thanks for the sources and advice though. I will keep my eyes open come spring time.

Waitlist typically won't move until after interviews end.. I think that goes for pretty much any school. I believe last year they stopped interviews sometime in March. Waitlist moves from then on until classes start. Some people have gotten called up within a week before the start of classes so if you were to get waitlisted don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed 11/15 and got accepted!

will u be attending? I would reallyyyyyy appreciate if you could pm me some details about your interview here? I have mine next week and its my only one....so my only shot and I am so nervous :(

will u be attending? I would reallyyyyyy appreciate if you could pm me some details about your interview here? I have mine next week and its my only one....so my only shot and I am so nervous :(

Hey, PM if you want and I would be happy to try and help and answer your questions. No need to stress! We're all here to help. :D

Officially declined my acceptance here. Best of luck to the rest of you

Honestly, the best advice for you is to try to relax. You got the interview, so you know that your numbers and EC's are good enough. All that they want to see is how you interact with people. Be professional, of course, but don't build it up too much or you will only stress yourself out more.

Best of luck. You'll do fine. :)

I'll be officially giving up my acceptance this afternoon. I can't think of a better, more supportive group of people to go to school with. Unfortunately, the lack of job opportunities for my spouse will not allow me to go here. I loved the school, the students, and the staff. I hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it and meshes well with the amazing family that already exists at this university. I'll still be around to answer any interview questions anyone has. Good luck to all those interviewing soon!!

Whats the approx turn around time between being complete and interview invites? Also, if no invite is it a hold or a rejection ?

Whats the approx turn around time between being complete and interview invites? Also, if no invite is it a hold or a rejection ?

Honestly, I have never been able to figure out an approximation - everyone is different. Some people are a couple of weeks and some people are a matter of an hour between e-mail and invite.

The best thing for you to do is call the school and ask about your current status. Several have done this and been offered an interview over the phone right then. Remember, they're inundated with applications at this point, so by giving them a call or sending an e-mail you're reaffirming your interest in the school.

did anybody ever need to BRING any kind of documents with them to the interview?
I hear you should bring your resume...anything else?
what did u guys bring to the interview? and did u ever need to take them out/give to the interviewer at any point?

did anybody ever need to BRING any kind of documents with them to the interview?
what did u guys bring to the interview? and did u ever need to take them out/give to the interviewer at any point?

You do not need to bring a copy of your resume. If you bring anything at all, I would make it one of those leather folder things (this is what I brought) to put all of the documents they give you at the interview. That is all that is required.

EDIT: Oh, you can bring a pen as well...but they supply you with one, so its not even mandatory.

Bring yourself, smile and relax. :thumbup:

I brought a leather portfolio as it helped me do something with my hands and avoid fidgeting which I often do when I'm nervous. However, of course, when I got in there I wasn't nervous at all. I did not bring my resume and the only thing inside was a paper pad and a photo of someone particularly special to me in case we discussed it during my interview.

I'll be officially giving up my acceptance this afternoon. I can't think of a better, more supportive group of people to go to school with. Unfortunately, the lack of job opportunities for my spouse will not allow me to go here. I loved the school, the students, and the staff. I hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it and meshes well with the amazing family that already exists at this university. I'll still be around to answer any interview questions anyone has. Good luck to all those interviewing soon!!

I'll also be giving up my seat in the forthcoming week. Hopefully one of my fellow SDNers will get it.

Who else is interviewing with me on tuesday?

Since so many people are giving up their seats, I wonder if they will start accepting a few people off the wait-list?

Since so many people are giving up their seats, I wonder if they will start accepting a few people off the wait-list?

I would think that they have a decent sized applicant pool to still get through before they get to the wait-list. I am fairly uneducated on what goes on behind closed doors when it comes to adcoms, but I would think they don't get to the wait list until February/March or so. I apologize if that bursts your bubble at all.

Yes i am. im staying at the holiday in...r u here too?

ok I was just confused because someone messaged me saying DCOM will look at the wait-list people following Dec 15th and accept some off the list based on how many of the class has paid the deposit....she said that's what admissions told her, which I thought was odd too because most schools look at the wait list in late spring

However, Nova also accepts people off the wait-list regularly so who knows?

I wouldn't think so - this is normal. They typically accept like ~250 or so each year and only 160 end up attending so roughly 90 people give up their seat every year. This is the same as at any school.

Hang in there - I can't imagine how daunting being on the wait list is but I'm sure it's not easy.

Yes i am. im staying at the holiday in...r u here too?

We are driving in today, so if I make in time we will come tonight. We are staying at the Holiday Inn also

We are driving in today, so if I make in time we will come tonight. We are staying at the Holiday Inn also
Hah! Are you wearing a button-up shirt and khakis? I think I just saw you outside.

No we are driving, about 4 hours away. Doesn't look like we will make the pizza night :(
Ohhh, well, the pizza night doesn't start 'til 6:30 right? Maybe you could just join us a little late?

Good luck everyone who is interviewing today!

I had a really awesome interview here Tuesday! This seemed to be the general consensus. One student was very unprepared for his interviewers' good cop bad cop routine, but everyone else seemed pleased with how their interview went. Good luck to everyone who interviews here in the future and, though you will hear it again and again and again, RELAX! You are who you are and if you want to show yourself to your interviewers accurately, you need to relax and be yourself.

can anyone confirm if the rotation hospitals for dcom is all aoa?

there seems to be very little acgm rez connection

I don't know about all the rotation hospitals (the core sites anyway...you can do your electives at really every hospital in the country) but I would say most of them are not AOA hospitals. This is the list of core rotation hospitals.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

Last edited:
I plan on doing a few of my elective rotations near my home town here in Ohio. We have the "Ohio Health" system of hospitals who I understand to be quite DO friendly, one of which has a surgical residency, and another has the best trauma center in the region and has a trauma surgery fellowship. I believe the residency and fellowship are both AOA, so it wouldn't hurt to have a foot in the door.

Dear all,

I am one of non-traditional applicants from Utah. Giving my stats, could your guys please comment on what's my chance will be for interview? I got lots of rejection, this is my last shot. Thanks so much in advance!

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications
6 good personal statement
7 pre-health committee letter & DO letter

Thanks again!

Dear all,

I am one of non-traditional applicants from Utah. Giving my stats, could your guys please comment on what's my chance will be for interview? I got lots of rejection, this is my last shot. Thanks so much in advance!

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications

Thanks again!

I am sorry that you have been rejected by other DO schools. If this is truly your last shot this cycle and IF you are universally rejected this cycle, especially pre-interview, I would say that your MCAT score may hinder you to get an interview invite. If you can improve a little bit on the MCAT at least 4 or more points for DO candidates, I believe you will have a better chance next cycle without no doubt. Regarding GPA, you can't do anything about it. Since your ECs and life experience are definite pluses for the non-traditional students, I think you will be a much better candidate with a slight improvement on the MCAT. I know it sounds unfair that most of med schools look at the numbers, but there must be a consistency and balance between the activities you do and the academic performance. This is the only reason I can think of because you have done nice job in terms of research experience and other activities. If you are happen to apply next cycle, try having more clinical experience as well to show and discover more about your passion in medicine.

I hope this helps!

Hi WaterDragon,

I appreciate so much for your honest input!!! I will retake MCAT in next Spring and prepare for next cycle. Thanks so much!

Best Wishes for your application!!!

Dear all,

Total GPA 3.17/3.29
MCAT 22M

1 advanced degree
2 tons of research
3 volunteering > 150 hrs
4 shadowing 32 hrs
5 publications

Thanks again!

Consider sending DCOM a letter of intent, via mail or e-mail, and expressing your interest in the school. It can only help you.

Hi CopToEM,

Thanks! I did sent a few e-mails to Janette who I met her at OldPreMed meeting in 2010, just show that I am very interested in DCOM and feel that I am perfectly fit in this school because I want to practice medicine in the rural area. Also, I sent my personal autobiograhy and CV to her. I did not get any word from her so far. I grew up in a small village in a foreign country, want to be a doctor since I was little. You may understand that the waiting game is painful, especially I do not have the decent stats. But, I appreciate so much for your suggestions!!! Thanks again!