This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will not be attending in the fall! I was accepted into Rosalind Franklin’s BMS program and will be enrolling there instead. Good luck to everyone in your future medical endeavors. LMU is an excellent school!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed today and accepted today!!! I'm truly grateful. I'm waiting to hear back from a few other schools, but I'm definitely leaning hard towards this program. I see the anatomy bootcamp starts July 2. Does anyone know if this bootcamp will be truly beneficial? I took A&P 1/2 and earned an A and B in each part (2 years ago). I would have to essentially quit my job tomorrow and move to TN next weekend to make the bootcamp, so I'm hoping to get some insight..lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed today and accepted today!!! I'm truly grateful. I'm waiting to hear back from a few other schools, but I'm definitely leaning hard towards this program. I see the anatomy bootcamp starts July 2. Does anyone know if this bootcamp will be truly beneficial? I took A&P 1/2 and earned an A and B in each part (2 years ago). I would have to essentially quit my job tomorrow and move to TN next weekend to make the bootcamp, so I'm hoping to get some insight..lol.

This is a bit late, but in case you ended up not doing Bootcamp, just wanted to alleviate any concerns you might have by saying that you can do extremely well in MGA without Bootcamp. Yes, Bootcamp does give students a head start, but if you have prior knowledge in Anatomy/Physiology, you will be absolutely fine. I highly recommend bootcamp for those students who have never been exposed to anatomy before and have time/money to kill. So hopefully you didn't enroll and are enjoying the last bit of your summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend boot camp for those students who have never been exposed to anatomy before and have time/money to kill. So hopefully you didn't enroll and are enjoying the last bit of your summer.
Haha, that is exactly what I chose to do. Instead, I just bought the textbook and have been doing a very light review. I took A&P in undergrad and did pretty well, so I'm looking forward to MGA! I appreciate the encouragement!

@surgeryDO Do they have study rooms or perhaps a library that masters students can study at? Also you mentioned that a couple of students commuted from Knoxville, in you opinion is this doable during this program? I actually own a house about 50 minutes away from campus so I can actually save some money if its doable. BTW I'll be in the anatomical sciences program.

@surgeryDO Do they have study rooms or perhaps a library that masters students can study at? Also you mentioned that a couple of students commuted from Knoxville, in you opinion is this doable during this program? I actually own a house about 50 minutes away from campus so I can actually save some money if its doable. BTW I'll be in the anatomical sciences program.

Some students did commute but it's basically up to you if you feel like you can handle that. There are study rooms that are on a first come first serve basis in MANS but you will lose access to them in the spring semester. There are a few study rooms in the library on campus and that's where I studied mostly.

Is there anyone on here that has gotten into the program with the GRE?

Hey guys, I will be applying to this program next year. Those of you who are current students would you be able to tell me how the program currently is going for you and its difficulty. Which courses are you finding very difficult? Do you have time to yourself or are you studying 24/7? What GPA is required for the guaranteed interview? Roughly how many students out of the program will get a guaranteed interview/acceptance? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am considering applying to the BP Program for Fall 2019. Any advice or insight from those who are finishing up either BP or AS this semester?

Should I apply for BP or AS? Which one do I have a better chance of getting into? And which one has a higher chance of getting into DO school?

Hi,

I am considering applying to the BP Program for Fall 2019. Any advice or insight from those who are finishing up either BP or AS this semester?

Should I apply for BP or AS? Which one do I have a better chance of getting into? And which one has a higher chance of getting into DO school?
Hey!

I will be finishing up the BP program this upcoming May after Neuroanatomy. I suggest for you not to apply to this program here at LMU as a lot will be changing such as MGA not transferring if you get into DCOM (have to retake again starting 2019-2020) and Immunology becoming a mandatory course for BP. You can PM me for more

Good Afternoon all!. @MarDoc , out of curiosity; why do you suggest to not apply to the LMU-BP program. I applied here and I just want to make sure that I am on the right track. PM if you have to.

~Thank You~

Any advice for interviews? Anyone interview/accepted for this year?

Hey!

I will be finishing up the BP program this upcoming May after Neuroanatomy. I suggest for you not to apply to this program here at LMU as a lot will be changing such as MGA not transferring if you get into DCOM (have to retake again starting 2019-2020) and Immunology becoming a mandatory course for BP. You can PM me for more
this is actually untrue.
everything will stay the same, with the classes transferring to LMU-DCOM, and potentially not only MGA & Neuro but Histology as well for the incoming classes, so i have heard.. Your information is invalid, my friend.

this is actually untrue.
everything will stay the same, with the classes transferring to LMU-DCOM, and potentially not only MGA & Neuro but Histology as well for the incoming classes, so i have heard.. Your information is invalid, my friend.

Just wanted to weigh in on this. @docwoody11 is 100% correct. I've talked to administration about the issue and the rumor about the OMS-1 courses not transferring to LMU-DCOM is completely fabricated. If you get a B or better in those courses, they will transfer if you attend LMU-DCOM the following year. I'm not sure about Immunology becoming a requirement for BP, but that honestly sounds pretty beneficial in my opinion. Not a bad idea at all.

What’s up with all the sass here? I guess I forgot to update information because this administration says something, then retracts what it says. Honestly that’s the main issue of institutions like LMU being shady. Yes, there was a discussion in regards to MGA not transferring over to LMU-DCOM but now that idea has been ousted. So yes, MGA, Neuro, and Histo WILL transfer over to LMU-DCOM should you successfully matriculate, which is more and more unlikely from the MS program.

Here’s another update if you guys were wondering
  1. Only ~10 students were accepted early Spring while almost everyone ~75+ were waitlisted
  2. DCOM Knoxville Campus is FULL
  3. Some spots are still open for DCOM Harrogate campus
  4. Immune still under consideration
  5. If MCAT under 494, DCOM won’t even take a look at your application and just give you waitlist / passive rejection
  6. Interviews are guaranteed if score 3.0 GPA but feels like pay your tuition for interview kind of a program
  7. Supposedly DCOM is awaiting Neuro Exam I grades until allowing acceptances to waitlisted people

Just to add ... the rumors of those classes not transferring over started from DCOM students / faculty and our program advisors had to shut it down. These changes will be made just not yet. Honestly the DCOM dean does not like the masters program because in the past years students who have failed out of the program were masters students. This is why they haven’t accepted much students and probs will not take much students from the waitlist. LMU MS program is ok but don’t put all your hope into matriculating into DCOM, Most won’t get in even if you do pull of an A in MGA. Things are changing in the program and not for the better...

Just to add ... the rumors of those classes not transferring over started from DCOM students / faculty and our program advisors had to shut it down. These changes will be made just not yet. Honestly the DCOM dean does not like the masters program because in the past years students who have failed out of the program were masters students. This is why they haven’t accepted much students and probs will not take much students from the waitlist. LMU MS program is ok but don’t put all your hope into matriculating into DCOM, Most won’t get in even if you do pull of an A in MGA. Things are changing in the program and not for the better...
And they told us in orientation not to put all our eggs in one basket and to apply to OTHER COMs.

And they told us in orientation not to put all our eggs in one basket and to apply to OTHER COMs.
Your point ? They also say if you make an A in MGA and all your classes you have a high chance of acceptance . Which is not really true . I’m just saying do well in this program , but it probs won’t end in an acceptance to DCOM

Your point ? They also say if you make an A in MGA and all your classes you have a high chance of acceptance . Which is not really true . I’m just saying do well in this program , but it probs won’t end in an acceptance to DCOM
YIKES o_O

Just don’t go to this school, you’ll be better off at a bigger/well known university. This one has horrible professors. When 1/2 the class fails exams it’s something wrong with the professor. Not 100 A+ undergrad students! :wtf:

Does any previous/current student speak a little more/have info about the now "guaranteed acceptance" of the linkage program for this upcoming year? What was exactly stated for your year, was it only guaranteed interview?? Does anyone also have an update regarding all the people who were waitlisted earlier this year? Did they wait until the spring grades come out before accepting them? That is my main concern when considering this program... Thank you everyone.

Does any previous/current student speak a little more/have info about the now "guaranteed acceptance" of the linkage program for this upcoming year? What was exactly stated for your year, was it only guaranteed interview?? Does anyone also have an update regarding all the people who were waitlisted earlier this year? Did they wait until the spring grades come out before accepting them? That is my main concern when considering this program... Thank you everyone.
I think the guaranteed acceptance only started for this year's class and incoming. I talked to a few students in the program 2018-2019 that said that most of them were waitlisted pending turnout from the program. Other's who didn't have a 499+ MCAT score remained on the waitlist and essentially didn't make it.

To help straighten some things out.
Those who had a 3.0, received an interview. Those who had a good score were accepted. There have been a lot of rumors about DCOM not accepting students and they had the requirements, from my understanding and from a KNOWN source(faculty member) they were not being honest to you and their friends...

Some people were waitlisted because their MCAT score or grades. They won't tell YOU that. The thing about SMPs is they are hard. It doesn't matter what school you go to. If you want an easy way do a DIY post bacc. SMPs are challenging but if you work hard, it will be rewarding.
So, medical schools will choose candidates, and those who are in the program that didn't make the cut during Sprig, may or may not get accepted up until orientation.

Guaranteed acceptance: 3.4 GPA 499 MCAT .
Work on MCAT before you get in the program, or you may be one of those who are on the waitlist.

Come here, kick butt, and you'll get in... (I hope I could be of help)

Reactions: 3 users
Those who had a 3.0, received an interview. Those who had a good score were accepted. There have been a lot of rumors about DCOM not accepting students and they had the requirements, from my understanding and from a KNOWN source(faculty member) they were not being honest to you and their friends...

Some people were waitlisted because their MCAT score or grades. They won't tell YOU that. The thing about SMPs is they are hard. It doesn't matter what school you go to. If you want an easy way do a DIY post bacc. SMPs are challenging but if you work hard, it will be rewarding.
So, medical schools will choose candidates, and those who are in the program that didn't make the cut during Sprig, may or may not get accepted up until orientation.

Work on MCAT before you get in the program, or you may be one of those who are on the waitlist.

How are the teachers and MS classes. Are the classes doable if you put in the effort??

Professors are professors, doesn't matter what institution you attend. They are reasonable, compared to other places and stories I've heard they are not that bad. I have more that I like than I dislike, for personal reasons.

The classes are challenging, but you have to put in the work! It's rewarding after you've studied. Of course there's always that one class that you struggle with but even then you can still do good with extra work.

Professors are professors, doesn't matter what institution you attend. They are reasonable, compared to other places and stories I've heard they are not that bad. I have more that I like than I dislike, for personal reasons.

The classes are challenging, but you have to put in the work! It's rewarding after you've studied. Of course there's always that one class that you struggle with but even then you can still do good with extra work.
Thank you. Can anyone tell me the pre reqs for the MS program? I have called the school and received conflicting answers.

Thank you. Can anyone tell me the pre reqs for the MS program? I have called the school and received conflicting answers.

Did you check the website? What have you heard? Have you applied? Once you apply and you get a decision they will tell you the courses you are lacking and they will incorporate it into the masters program(most are undergraduate courses). That just mean that you will have to stay a little longer. However, that was now. The new track is different because you all have set schedules, so they may not offer that anymore.

Did you check the website? What have you heard? Have you applied? Once you apply and you get a decision they will tell you the courses you are lacking and they will incorporate it into the masters program(most are undergraduate courses). That just mean that you will have to stay a little longer. However, that was now. The new track is different because you all have set schedules, so they may not offer that anymore.

Thank you so much for replying and helping us out! If you don't mind, I have another question: how much does LMU care about being involved in extracurriculars during this year with the school? I already have a lot of volunteering clinical experience, research, etc.. and I would love to mostly dedicate this year to studying but was wondering if they look down upon the fact that I wouldn't be as active with them, or whether the acceptance is solely on grades and mcat score? If thats the case, I plan to maybe only do a bit more hours of shadowing this upcoming year.. Thank you so much!

Did you have to fill out a pre req form when you applied?

The women I talked to said these are the pre reqs:

• Biology: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Inorganic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Organic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Biochemistry may be substituted.
    • Physics: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
  • Probability and Stats
  • Genetics (Lab is optional)

• English: Minimum of 6 semester hours
    • MCAT (can be no more than 3 years
  • Seems a little overkill for the MS program

So you were definitely able to get a conditional acceptance with missing pre reqs?

So you were definitely able to get a conditional acceptance with missing pre reqs?
[/Q
I'm not saying that. I'm referring to last years(and before) class. The new year's class requirements are different. Just call and ask.
Did you have to fill out a pre req form when you applied?

The women I talked to said these are the pre reqs:

• Biology: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Inorganic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Organic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Biochemistry may be substituted.
    • Physics: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
  • Probability and Stats
  • Genetics (Lab is optional)

• English: Minimum of 6 semester hours
    • MCAT (can be no more than 3 years
  • Seems a little overkill for the MS program

That sounds about right. Why would they accept student's into a conditional/guaranteed(whichever it is) acceptance program and you don't have the courses for medical school. That would defeat the purpose of applying. You still have to meet the requirements for medical school.

Thank you so much for replying and helping us out! If you don't mind, I have another question: how much does LMU care about being involved in extracurriculars during this year with the school? I already have a lot of volunteering clinical experience, research, etc.. and I would love to mostly dedicate this year to studying but was wondering if they look down upon the fact that I wouldn't be as active with them, or whether the acceptance is solely on grades and mcat score? If thats the case, I plan to maybe only do a bit more hours of shadowing this upcoming year.. Thank you so much!
Np. It's not really that much volunteering around town.. We have RAM and a couple other volunteering opportunities. It can't hurt to volunteer/shadow more. I don't think it's a big deal but once again. I can't speak about the new program in specific detail besides the GPA and MCAT because that's all I asked about.

I’m confused as to how you know soo much inside information about a smp program you didn’t even attend. Yes actually there are plenty of people who met the requirements but were waitlisted because of their undergrad performance and mediocre MCATs but there are also plenty of people who did very well in the program and have met the average mcat for DCOM that are still on the waitlist till this day. There are also people who did not even do that well in the program but received an acceptance due to their connections ... the processs isn’t as black and white as you make it seem. The acceptances are based on many factors but just doing well in the program and doing well on the mcat was not enough for some people in my class. Many people put in the work and killed it but are still left with no word on an acceptance or not.

Anyways as some one who actually attended the program did well and had an acceptable mcat score (>500) all I can say is that with this new conditional acceptance LMU MS is offering will give people more chances who actually put in the work in the program to be accepted . I am happy they moved in this direction and now that the program is ran by DCOM the program will hopefully be more put together.

I’m confused as to how you know soo much inside information about a smp program you didn’t even attend. Yes actually there are plenty of people who met the requirements but were waitlisted because of their undergrad performance and mediocre MCATs but there are also plenty of people who did very well in the program and have met the average mcat for DCOM that are still on the waitlist till this day. There are also people who did not even do that well in the program but received an acceptance due to their connections ... the process isn’t as black and white as you make it seem. The acceptances are based on many factors but just doing well in the program and doing well on the mcat was not enough for some people in my class. Many people put in the work and killed it but are still left with no word on an acceptance or not.

Anyways as some one who actually attended the program did well and had an acceptable mcat score (>500) all I can say is that with this new conditional acceptance LMU MS is offering will give people more chances who actually put in the work in the program to be accepted . I am happy they moved in this direction and now that the program is ran by DCOM the program will hopefully be more put together.

Before reading this all. I read the first sentence. How do you assume I didn't/don't attend the program?

Before reading this all. I read the first sentence. How do you assume I didn't/don't attend the program?

Obviously your post history ...... which shows you ended up going to WVSOMs graduate program NOT lmu.

• Haha
Obviously your post history ...... which shows you ended up going to WVSOMs graduate program NOT lmu.

Hahaha. Well, thanks for your research. It's better to ask questions rather than assume. I discontinue, It's not about your assumptions but helping future students.

Future students: Best of Luck. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Hahaha. Well, thanks for your research. It's better to ask questions rather than assume. I discontinue, It's not about your assumptions but helping future students.

Future students: Best of Luck. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Wouldn’t really call it research it since it was the most recent in your post history but alright. And you are right it is about helping future students , but you spreading information about being in a program you never actually were in is actually disservice to these students . Your experiences with wvsom and students my have some similarities but still it is very different.

So anyways , future students seek out further questions from actual past lmu me students to seek REAL info on the program and if you want to pm me I’m open to answer any questions as honestly as I can. As I said before I have hopes of the program being better and honestly it means that faculty are somewhat paying attention to my class’s concerns and complaints and the past years which is a good sign . Good luck guys.

Just finished the SMP. You all are welcome to message me with questions, as well.

Like @mywoes242 said, I also think the new guaranteed acceptance criteria is a great step in the right direction. I've also been able to see some of the new curriculum that they are going to be incorporating next year, and I'm actually kind of jealous.. Introduction to Pharmacology, Bacteriology & Virology, and Advanced Vertebrate Physiology are all a part of the core curriculum now. I think all of these courses will make the future MS students MUCH more competitive than they already are.

@jdrb0130 and I were in the same classes this Spring. When I spoke to faculty I heard the same thing. @jdrb0130 is spreading valid information guys.

@NoMessEMS I'm jealous too. I heard they are incorporating a case studies course instead of colloquial. The classes for the new year are really geared towards first year of medical school.

I was curious about one thing that one of you who got accepted into their med school might be able to answer.. Since they have a policy of taking classes such as anatomy and neuroanatomy w/med students during the MS program.. and say that a student gets a B or higher and gets waived from retaking the class the following year.. what goes in place of these classes? Or as first years, the students would just have a lighter load? Thank you!