Lmu?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just interviewed with LMU and was very impressed with their facility and faculty. their technology was impressive and the faculty seems to be first rate. i am inclined to accept an offer of accceptance but i am a little concerned about it being a new school and google results for pete debusk but he wouldnt affect accreditation, would he? and what are the pros/cons when attending a newly formed school?

Members don't see this ad.

The only "cons" I found at the school were some quirky things with the technology at the beginning of the semester. They worked all those bugs out though. We sometimes had to work around the construction and use the bathroom upstairs instead of the one downstairs or vice versa. There really was nothing major though.

The school really is incredible. The faculty and staff are caring, kind, intelligent, and dedicated. The technology is state of the art. The area is a wonderful place to live. I really don't see any downside to DCOM. The process of getting pre-accreditation status has the same requirements as actually getting the full accreditation. DCOM will get the full accreditation once the first class graduates. Good luck with the interview process!:)

Thanks for the post Dr.Mom! :)

I also second Hopeful in that I was really impressed by the school and the faculty. One of the concerns that I do have however is about clinical rotations. Since no students have gotten there yet, there's no personal anecdotes. They told us at the interview that rotations have been set up at many great sites, but I just wanted to know how the exposure to a diverse population of patients and procedures would compare to schools with teaching hospitals?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just interviewed with LMU and was very impressed with their facility and faculty. their technology was impressive and the faculty seems to be first rate. i am inclined to accept an offer of accceptance but i am a little concerned about it being a new school and google results for pete debusk but he wouldnt affect accreditation, would he? and what are the pros/cons when attending a newly formed school?

I've posted a lot of info on the LMU-DCOM discussion thread in the pre-osteo forum. The biggest negative of a new school is that no other students have traveled that path yet for the school. Other than that, there is no real difference. Like I've told many people, the building may be new, but the people running the school are not. We have an experienced staff and they know what they are doing. I don't think we will have trouble with residencies or anything like that.

I don't know what you mean regarding Mr. DeBusk, but if there is something to worry about regarding accreditation, then we would not have been given provisional accreditation in the first place - so all of this is completely irrelevant.

Thanks for the post Dr.Mom! :)

I also second Hopeful in that I was really impressed by the school and the faculty. One of the concerns that I do have however is about clinical rotations. Since no students have gotten there yet, there's no personal anecdotes. They told us at the interview that rotations have been set up at many great sites, but I just wanted to know how the exposure to a diverse population of patients and procedures would compare to schools with teaching hospitals?

Rotations are harder to discuss b/c, as you said, none of us have been there yet. But whatever you would get in, say Chicago, you would get in Knoxville. I assume by teaching hospitals, you mean big hospitals that get lots of stuff, and, yes, we will have those - UT, St. Mary's, Fort Sanders, Erlanger. With the community hospitals we rotate thru in 4th year, they have advantages and disadvantages. Of course, you don't get the "good stuff" in terms of huge traumas, etc. But what you do get is A LOT of hands-on experience. In teaching hospitals, students have to compete with fellows, residents, interns, and other students to help with, say surgeries. But at a community hospital, it is only the surgeon and you...same with the ER...so you can see that you will be doing many, many procedures as a student, probably more so than in a large, teaching hospital. There is a place for both styles and I think it is a good thing to have the variety. If you do a search, you should find some good info here on community hospitals and the good experiences students have had. Good luck!!!

The only "cons" I found at the school were some quirky things with the technology at the beginning of the semester. They worked all those bugs out though. We sometimes had to work around the construction and use the bathroom upstairs instead of the one downstairs or vice versa. There really was nothing major though.

The school really is incredible. The faculty and staff are caring, kind, intelligent, and dedicated. The technology is state of the art. The area is a wonderful place to live. I really don't see any downside to DCOM. The process of getting pre-accreditation status has the same requirements as actually getting the full accreditation. DCOM will get the full accreditation once the first class graduates. Good luck with the interview process!:)

:hello: :hello: :hello: :banana:

i interviewed last friday (which i think went well, very relaxed) and the school moved way up on my priority list. i got a 28O on the mcat and have a 3.6 undergrad GPA and a 3.5 grad gpa. i have a b.s. in biology with minor in gen chem and a m.a. in biotechnology from columbia university and tons on shadowing, volunteer and extracurriculars . i really cant wait for the phone call/letter. does anyone feel that i wont get accpeted?

i interviewed last friday (which i think went well, very relaxed) and the school moved way up on my priority list. i got a 28O on the mcat and have a 3.6 undergrad GPA and a 3.5 grad gpa. i have a b.s. in biology with minor in gen chem and a m.a. in biotechnology from columbia university and tons on shadowing, volunteer and extracurriculars . i really cant wait for the phone call/letter. does anyone feel that i wont get accpeted?

Your info looks good (better than mine and I got in) so I think you'll be ok. It's hard to say though you never really know until you get the call. I know the waiting is hell though! As far as DCOM being a new school the only issues people seem to have is the construction (which is done for the most part), technology quirks (which have been mostly worked out) and not having second years before us to help us out (not a problem for the class of 2012). By the time you all get here the problems will be worked out and we'll be here to help you all with whatever you need to start your medical education as smoothly as possible. The school and the education you will receive at DCOM is one of the best in the country in my opinion. They have assembled the best staff and faculty and designed the curriculum to not only learn the information but to help students take the boards more comfortably and do well in their rotations. They have taken everything into consideration and have spared no expense. I am grateful everyday that I was accepted here and can't think of another school I would rather attend!

Numbers-wise, I'd say you look good, but that is why you got the interview in the first place. Everything else looks good too, so it will depend a lot on your interview.

PS: Nascardoc shouldn't you be studying? lol jk
:D:D:D

Why, is there something special going on tomorrow? :barf: :smuggrin:

It will be over soon......:D

As a proud DCOMer let me tell ya you will be glad you came here but weigh out your other preferences like stuff outside of school..outside of school harrogate/middlesboro are quite low key towns. If you are looking for a big city lifestyle this is not the place..but i like it coz i have fewer distractions to deal with and we have everything you need to survive around here (malls, restaurants, movie place, walmart).

Can someone please post more regarding the technology? Why is it so great and what were the initial downfalls everyone is referring to at the start of the sem? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post more regarding the technology? Why is it so great and what were the initial downfalls everyone is referring to at the start of the sem? Thanks

eh don't read too much into it, a software (vpad) we use to take quizzes in classes was non functional at times and a downtime experienced with internet sometimes (not for long)..really minor problems, these things exist at every institution. It would be silly if i complained due to my pdf file not installing properly on my computer..get the idea? Overall, the technology at DCOM are flawless..hands down comparable to any hi-tech schools out there.

eh don't read too much into it, a software (vpad) we use to take quizzes in classes was non functional at times and a downtime experienced with internet sometimes (not for long)..really minor problems, these things exist at every institution. It would be silly if i complained due to my pdf file not installing properly on my computer..get the idea? Overall, the technology at DCOM are flawless..hands down comparable to any hi-tech schools out there.

what current 'technology' exists? thanks. they didn't really go into it that much during interviews. I would like to know what they use to assist us in medical education

what current 'technology' exists? thanks. they didn't really go into it that much during interviews. I would like to know what they use to assist us in medical education

ok we just got done today, let me tell ya it was one long semester possibly the longest 6 months of my life. Anyways, i am no technology expert to give you all mumbo jumbo of the technology that exists here at DCOM. Let's see starting with the gateway tablets we all got to the flat screen tv's in all group conference rooms, anatomy lab, student lounge, opp lab can be considered a basic utility now at schools. Ok the school has patient simulated robots (2 SIM MEN i believe they will get more in the near future) All the hospital equipment you would probably see in a ER is placed where the SIM robots are housed. Patient clinical suites; you probably saw them when you toured right? These suites are standard patient rooms equipped with all the latest prototypical equipment you would see in a hospital. The school will record your history/physical skills through standardized patient testing system. Anatomy lab has this projector camera machine (not sure what the technical name is) that is used to demonstrate let's say a dissection and you can visualize it directly on the flat screen tv infront of your group table. All the groups have their own table/tv and wired fully to use computers as well. I am not sure but they might have more cadavers next year for you guys. All the tables at opp lab are pretty standard high quality stuff, like the anatomy lab you will have a flat screen right in your vicinity and all the lectures, labs are recorded!! High speed internet throughout the building (both wireless, and wired) you can find internet jacks in cafeteria's, student lounges, or private rooms. Nursing students have their own share of stuff on the 3rd floor where the SIM robots are. The auditorium's are well furnished and equipped with power outlets, internet jacks and microphones at every individual seating (so remember no screaming haha). In general, you will be quizzed through a polling system..basically hit the answer on your computer and the school can tell who answered and who didn't. There's studying areas, printers, copy machines that are available for student use. The building is well regulated..didn't really have any heating or air conditioning problems. I might be leaving out a lot more intrinsic factors that boost this school's technology but the underlying idea is that the school intends to provide their education mostly paperless..so you will realize that your comp is as important as your heart!!! The student apartment's have study rooms, come with high speed internet. Not to sound redundant but all your lectures are recorded on Media site..i don't know what else you need as a student. Also realize this is a brand new school..it looks gorgeous inside and out!! Let me know if you have more questions?

ok we just got done today, let me tell ya it was one long semester possibly the longest 6 months of my life. Anyways, i am no technology expert to give you all mumbo jumbo of the technology that exists here at DCOM. Let's see starting with the gateway tablets we all got to the flat screen tv's in all group conference rooms, anatomy lab, student lounge, opp lab can be considered a basic utility now at schools. Ok the school has patient simulated robots (2 SIM MEN i believe they will get more in the near future) All the hospital equipment you would probably see in a ER is placed where the SIM robots are housed. Patient clinical suites; you probably saw them when you toured right? These suites are standard patient rooms equipped with all the latest prototypical equipment you would see in a hospital. The school will record your history/physical skills through standardized patient testing system. Anatomy lab has this projector camera machine (not sure what the technical name is) that is used to demonstrate let's say a dissection and you can visualize it directly on the flat screen tv infront of your group table. All the groups have their own table/tv and wired fully to use computers as well. I am not sure but they might have more cadavers next year for you guys. All the tables at opp lab are pretty standard high quality stuff, like the anatomy lab you will have a flat screen right in your vicinity and all the lectures, labs are recorded!! High speed internet throughout the building (both wireless, and wired) you can find internet jacks in cafeteria's, student lounges, or private rooms. Nursing students have their own share of stuff on the 3rd floor where the SIM robots are. The auditorium's are well furnished and equipped with power outlets, internet jacks and microphones at every individual seating (so remember no screaming haha). In general, you will be quizzed through a polling system..basically hit the answer on your computer and the school can tell who answered and who didn't. There's studying areas, printers, copy machines that are available for student use. The building is well regulated..didn't really have any heating or air conditioning problems. I might be leaving out a lot more intrinsic factors that boost this school's technology but the underlying idea is that the school intends to provide their education mostly paperless..so you will realize that your comp is as important as your heart!!! The student apartment's have study rooms, come with high speed internet. Not to sound redundant but all your lectures are recorded on Media site..i don't know what else you need as a student. Also realize this is a brand new school..it looks gorgeous inside and out!! Let me know if you have more questions?

Cool. thanks a lot for taking the time to post that. That really was helpful. I heard mediasite is extremely helpful. I have a few friends who went to the caribbean for medical school and they also have media site and they all rave about it. I heard the best part is that you get to watch it in 2x mode, so therefore you get to ff through most of the mumble jumble that professors spew out to waste time

I'm def not a fan of gateway notebooks...they should have thinkpads!

Cool. thanks a lot for taking the time to post that. That really was helpful. I heard mediasite is extremely helpful. I have a few friends who went to the caribbean for medical school and they also have media site and they all rave about it. I heard the best part is that you get to watch it in 2x mode, so therefore you get to ff through most of the mumble jumble that professors spew out to waste time

I'm def not a fan of gateway notebooks...they should have thinkpads!

Yea you can double stream the lectures if you like, but media site certainly helps! I wouldn't write off those gateway tablets..at least the one's we have are pretty sweet. DCOM being a new school it's hard for people to grasp what we have or what we are doing here..but i will def look back 10 years from now and be super proud of being a DCOMer. School has a strong "experienced" faculty and a passionate group of guys that are going to listen to your opinions..now come on who doesn't want that? Good luck!

Yea you can double stream the lectures if you like, but media site certainly helps! I wouldn't write off those gateway tablets..at least the one's we have are pretty sweet. DCOM being a new school it's hard for people to grasp what we have or what we are doing here..but i will def look back 10 years from now and be super proud of being a DCOMer. School has a strong "experienced" faculty and a passionate group of guys that are going to listen to your opinions..now come on who doesn't want that? Good luck!

what's the model number for the gateways? I hope they switch to lenovo thinkpads..those things are tough...it could probably withstand the abuse of 4 years of use

Thanks! :)

I think it should be emphasized that they are Gateway TABLETS...not just a run of the mill laptop.

As for technology...it is possible, if a student wants to...to be COMPLETELY paperless at DCOM. I think that pretty well sums it up.

Oh, and this year our tablets came with Primal Anatomy pre-loaded. I've really enjoyed using that software.

At last count, I think there were like 56 plasmas. It's ridiculous. :)

what's the model number for the gateways? I hope they switch to lenovo thinkpads..those things are tough...it could probably withstand the abuse of 4 years of use

Thanks! :)

hmm it's gateway m285-E, i am sure there are better computers out there. Before we got ours dr.leo asked us for suggestions..i never suggested one lol but i don't know how your year will be like...but certainly go ahead and email dr.leo about your preference. May be the school will think about it..but really though you will be fine, you will have your PDA for rotations so that should take some slack off your computer during 3rd, 4th years. So enjoy now buddy..save up that brain of your's for a lifetime abuse ahead.hehe

Model is M285-E.

I've been very happy thus far. I just dropped mine for the first time today...actually, it was in my backpack that fell off the kitchen table.

My only complaint is these suckers are HEAVY.

I would highly recommend a VERY good backpack. I think the one I got was like 80 bucks, which I felt was ridiculous, but necessary. Luckily, I caught it on sale.

Before we got ours dr.leo asked us for suggestions..i never suggested one lol but i don't know how your year will be like...but certainly go ahead and email dr.leo about your preference. May be the school will think about it..

Can you PM me his email address? I would really like to lobby hard to try to get us the Thinkpad X61T. It truly is an unbelievable laptop. Spillproof keyboard, rollcages to protect LCD's, etc. unbelievably small too. :love:

Check it out for yourself
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

Thanks for the info Lamborghini1315. Those thinkpads do look nice eyecon. Let me guess, you were born in 82 as well?

The word is that you might be able to pay a certain fee to upgrade your tablet to another laptop sometime in the next year.

It's completely unsubstantiated at the moment however.

Dr. Cross actually wanted the Lenovo (he looked at mine), but they're more expensive. I think he was happy they went with the tablet at all. Apparently that was a bit of a fight. And Gateway gave them a very sweet package price.

The Lenovos ARE really really nice, and very light (one of the main reasons I love it so much)! And the writing surface is more responsive than just about any other tablet I've ever used.

Dr. Cross actually wanted the Lenovo (he looked at mine), but they're more expensive. I think he was happy they went with the tablet at all. Apparently that was a bit of a fight. And Gateway gave them a very sweet package price.

The Lenovos ARE really really nice, and very light (one of the main reasons I love it so much)! And the writing surface is more responsive than just about any other tablet I've ever used.

I currently have a T61 and it is beautiful. I think they should go with Lenovo for many reasons. These notebooks are supposed to last us 4 years. Gateways will start falling apart by then. My father still has a thinkpad that still starts up from 1996. The keyboard actually fly's out like a butterfly.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_keyboard

This just goes to show you the quality of thinpads. The new ones have many more new features such as a airbag system which protects the HD incase of a drop or any sort of trauma. They also have a spill-proof KB. I gaurantee you that at least 2 people out of the class per year will spill water of coffee all over their KB. It is inevitable. Not only that but I heard they have some sort of apparatus to protect the lcd incase you drop a heavy textbook on it or something or it gets squished in your bag.

I have a friend who has the x61 tablet and it is beautiful. I actually heard they are getting very cheap nowadays. Almost $1500 fully loaded. They used to be very expensive just a year ago. Prices have dramatically dropped in the last 9 months or so. This is has been due to new cheap manufacturing methods for CPU's, HD's, and memory. Lenovo prices have dropped especially because of a different marketing approach taken by the company in the last year or so. (I'm a computer engineering major, so that is why i know this)

Lastly, check out the pic.

Attachments

• 1077725.jpg
    1077725.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 61
Hi Dr.Mom,
Seems like you can be very informative about LMU. I am very impressed by the information on the internet.I am in optometry school...I am orginally from Tennessee and I go to optometry school in Michigan. I am really not liking Michigan at all and optomtry don't seem to fulfill all my imterest(it does not emphasize completely on the human body and does not focus at all on the holistic aspect of healthcare)So i am wandering if i can transfer to LMU.I just got done with my first semester of Optometry School.Any suggestions...on if i can transfer and i can do something to get in LMU now.Its real close to my home.
Please advice
Diams

Hi Dr.Mom,
Seems like you can be very informative about LMU. I am very impressed by the information on the internet.I am in optometry school...I am orginally from Tennessee and I go to optometry school in Michigan. I am really not liking Michigan at all and optomtry don't seem to fulfill all my imterest(it does not emphasize completely on the human body and does not focus at all on the holistic aspect of healthcare)So i am wandering if i can transfer to LMU.I just got done with my first semester of Optometry School.Any suggestions...on if i can transfer and i can do something to get in LMU now.Its real close to my home.
Please advice
Diams

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I don't see how you can transfer from an optometry school to an osteopathic school. Maybe if you took some of the same classes you could get credit for it but I don't actually know how that works. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Dr.Mom,
Please advice
Diams

I'm sorry to hear that Optometry is not as fulfulling as you would have liked. I can tell you that they will not allow any transfers. Even though we basically take the same classes during the biological sciences year, the material course within that specific course is much more highly specialized and different.

The only transfers they would probably allow if you transferred from another osteopathic medical school. Even allopathic and ostepathic educations differ when it comes to course material

Hi Dr.Mom,
Please advice
Diams

Well why would you learn about complete "human anatomy" in an optometry school. If you are interested in being a doctor, you would have to take your MCAT's and try to apply for next year class but transfering is not an option. You can't transfer from college to medical school? get the idea? Optometric, nursing, medical, pharmacy are their own entities..so i would suggest you to think hard and evaluate your interests with proper guidance. Any school's hard..but certainly doable if your resentment is rising out of frustration due to school work. It would def look like a negative attribute when you switch fields though..for instance a person who wanted to be a lawyer suddenly feels like medicine is his love will be under more scrutiny than a person who all along stuck with medicine. Anyways, i would still sit down and see if i like what iam doing and if you don't..just drop out, apply next year to osteopathic schools. (after taking your mcats) Good luck!

Well I get it that i cant transfer but you guys dont have to treat me like a dumb person for just asking you a question and just because i am in optometry school and u guys are in osteopathic medical school.

Hi there,
Looks like u researched LMU pretty well.I wanted to ask you a question regarding MCAT, GPA and other stuffs involved in the admission rpocess to get into the LMU school. So what are the stats to get in LMU in terms of GPA,MCAT...etc...I am not too familiar with the process.

Well I get it that i cant transfer but you guys dont have to treat me like a dumb person for just asking you a question and just because i am in optometry school and u guys are in osteopathic medical school.

Just wanted to point out that I do not think you're stupid at all and hope my response did not come across as such.

Hi there,
Looks like u researched LMU pretty well.I wanted to ask you a question regarding MCAT, GPA and other stuffs involved in the admission rpocess to get into the LMU school. So what are the stats to get in LMU in terms of GPA,MCAT...etc...I am not too familiar with the process.

I know at one point the averages from last year's class was posted in the pre-osteo forum maybe if you search under DCOM you can find it. I was accepted at DCOM with a 22O MCAT and 3.2 cumGPA and 3.46 sGPA. You can actually see my activities and things on my mdapps. There's an SDNer who was accepted with a 21 MCAT but I don't remember what her GPAs are. She does have a pretty awesome background and activities so really it depends. You could have an awesome MCAT score but no clinical or volunteer activities and not even get an interview. DCOM definitely looks at more than just numbers which I am extremely grateful for. :love:

Hi there,
It was not you it was someone who brought up the whole lawyer switching to medicine becoz they were suckin in law school.Anyways no offense taken from you ..i do have a question is the MCAT not 21 or 34 like two digit numbers instead of 220 or sth ..did they change the scoring or sth...and so i guess a person need a good GPA ,MCAT and shadowing or volunteering right...if u dun mind i would like to ask wut were your stats since i take it u r already in DO school.Please advise.

Hi there,
It was not you it was someone who brought up the whole lawyer switching to medicine becoz they were suckin in law school.Anyways no offense taken from you ..i do have a question is the MCAT not 21 or 34 like two digit numbers instead of 220 or sth ..did they change the scoring or sth...and so i guess a person need a good GPA ,MCAT and shadowing or volunteering right...if u dun mind i would like to ask wut were your stats since i take it u r already in DO school.Please advise.

Sorry, no it's still two digits. I got a 22, my writing score was an O as in ostrich.

Well I have an over all GPA of 3.3 and a Science GPA of 3.6, along with a 29O on my MCAT. Those stats got me waitlisted for last year originally for the 2011 class. However, I came close so they gave me an automatic acceptance for the 2012 class

DCOM stats are right around national DO school avg's..i would only think that schools are getting more competitive and these stats are only going to go up. But don't take anything for granted...try to do really well in your interview!! Schools like hospitals (during residency interviews) would like to see what you are like in person..you have to realize that patients will judge you despite our stats and accolades. So yea sure great stats will always give you the edge but won't guarantee you a spot, so many people don't match into their favorite residency or get accepted at a school due to variable other reasons than their spectacular stats. So my only suggestion..rock your interviews! It will work out at the end.