Loma Linda Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen so many questions about Loma Linda that I thought I would briefly describe my interview experience there. I hate to say this, but I do believe that Loma Linda may live up to the image I have seen ascribed to it on this board. I am not an SDA, and they definitely made me aware of that. (I assume I was granted an early interview only because of my MCAT score).
First of all, I was not given a tour of the campus. I don't know if this just happened to be one of those days, but I did read about a similar non-SDA experience at interviewfeedback.com. Similarly, I was not given the opportunity to meet with any students. Second, while SDAs got a special leather bound folder to hold their interview materials, I got a paper version. Third, during my interview they were very concerned with the fact that I did not seem to be interested in evangelism. In fact, I was not asked a single question about health care, my research, or my volunteer work; rather, my interviewer, a pscyhologist, repeatedly reminded me that the school wished to train Christians who would go out and "preach the word."

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a medical school or a seminary?

When I got the secondary from Loma Linda, I scrapped the school and made the decision right there that I wanted nothing to do with it. I knew they were a Seventh Day Adventist school and that they gave preference to members of their church so I applied anyway. When I saw the questions asking "Have you ever smoked or drank an alcoholic beverage" and the statement expecting me to go to Saturday services, I knew I would be denying myself if I answered those. (They wouldn't like a Catholic who likes his beer!) Anyway, just my two cents. They're wacked.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know, i'm one who enjoys his happy hour specials and definately don't agree with the beliefs of the SDAs, but i don't think there's anything wrong with a school being that way. i don't think there's many people who blast BYU or southern university because they accept way more mormons or minorities, so it's funny to see why so many people ridicule loma linda. i think as a private institution, they have a right to accept people who fit their mold and their "purpose" (this can be a sticky issue, i'll just leave it as that). i guess to those who don't like it, don't apply.

i assume that with so few medical schools, we'd all like to get equal chances to all of them, and loma linda accepting SDAs limits people's chances there. i'm interested to see why other people bash the school so much.

Corleone,

I completely agree with you, no argument here. They Do have a right to have their own mission and accept the students that they want. It's just not for me, so please accept my response as a personal opinion, and not a judgement on the educational value or rights of that school.

I think people don't blast BYU because most people wouldn't want to go there. (It's not a typical university in the party sense--no fraternities, no drinking, smoking, etc.) But when I interviewed at Virginia everyone was comparing BYU to Jerry Falwell and Liberty, which kind of upset me. My UVA interviewer's first three questions were: How do people react when you knock on their doors and try to teach them your religion? (<--NOT in my application nor did I knock doors.) Why do we get so many BYU applicants? Doesn't BYU have a medical school?

Granted, academic freedom isn't quite the same at BYU as it is at a public institution, but at least half of my professors aren't even Mormons and evolution (including human evolution) is taught and accepted by almost everyone. I think it's hardly your typical religious university. Honestly, though, if I weren't a Mormon I seriously doubt if I would have gone to BYU.

Anyway, I see where Loma Linda is coming from. For instance, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints totally subsidizes BYU. Tuition is like 1400 dollars a semester, and the facilities and resources are tremendous. (It's the largest private university in the country.) Since Mormons faithfully pay 10% of their income to the Church throughout their lives, I see why they preferentially accept Mormon students. So anyway, those are just my ideas from my perspective.

By the way, lots of Mormons criticize BYU because it is dang hard to get in to. So BYU does get its share of criticism. :) But thank goodness we don't have a medical school.

As a SDA, I completely agree with corleone. The school wants to make sure that you will fit in if accepted. If they don't feel you fit with them, they have a right not to accept you. They also have a right to ask you questions pertaining to your religious beliefs and personal standards. They are a private institution . As for the leather bound binder, I think you should ask them why this was the case. Maybe it was an oversight. Don't jump to conclusions. The amount of misinformation out there about SDAs is nuts! Some think we are all vegetarians, with women who wear long skirts and men who never cut their facial hair. I even heard on this website that we do not accept BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS!!!
So please do not jump to conclusions about us as a religion! we are not "wacked"

I apologize for offending you Bebe, it was never my intention. I was speaking off the cuff. I do not have anything against SDAs. Please accept my apology.

no problema!
very sweet of you!
I have just heard one two many misinformed comments about our religion. I am sure when one is not an SDA and is not accustomed to the Saturday services, medical ministries, etc, one can feel left out and alienated. Maybe a non-SDA can write to them and tell them about the issues you guys have addressed!

Okay, thanks, not its
back to work!

Bebe

hey peeps when did you guys send your Loma linda secondary and how long did you have to wait until you received an interview? thanks

In response to Ken's experience...I am an SDA and received the "paper" folder, in fact I didn't even see a leather bound folder. I didn't get to visit with the students or sit in on classes....because it was finals week. I did have plenty of time in between interviews to explore on my own though. Maybe you went with some preconceived notions about what the interview should be and were slightly disappointed. I did not have a bad interview experience, just a bit different than others I guess. I was asked many more questions about human feeling etc., and none on my research etc. I actually hope I get in! I hope others don't get the impression that Loma Linda is hostile to non-SDAs based on Ken's post. E-mail if you have any questions about Loma Linda or SDA.

I just talked with the LLU office on the phone yesterday and they told me that they have "Interview Day" where they have the tour, the lunch, the discussion with deans, etc. and then they have the other days where they only interview you.

It is obvious that you went on the interview only day and I doubt they screen these days for SDAs only. As for the leather folder, sounds like an urban myth to me.

Epi you were entirely correct. Note: Ken contacted me and wished to express his apology if he offended anyone. He stated that his initial reaction was not thought out properly. I'm posting this because he cannot sign on properly. Truly though folks LLU SOM is a great school and though SDAs get preference in admissions, the administration doesn't, that I've seen, treat anyone unfairly at interviews.