Apply to Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139339

I’ve been getting split opinions on this. On one hand, my sis is an OBGYN and thinks I won’t learn much about women’s health there. On the other hand, my mom went to a Catholic boarding school when growing up in India and loved the discipline the church provided. She thinks it would do me good. It’s the same reason she wants me to apply to USUHS.

To be clear, I’m not religious. My grandfather is an atheist and only sent my mom to Catholic school because it offered good quality education, not for any religious reason. My dad’s side of the family is spiritual, not religious. As in yoga/meditation/Ayurveda Hindu/Buddhist spiritual. And my parents settled in a city in South India with a large Muslim population and adopted the customs. So my religious influences are all over the place. Not really Catholic. Haven’t been to church/temple/masjid regularly in 3-4 years.

At the end of the day though, med school is med school. So idk. Maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t apply, you would have a difficult time answering the secondary and the school likely won’t see you as a good fit.

In case your mom doesn’t know, USUHS has a service requirement. I would not recommend applying if you aren’t invested in doing that.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda University actively promotes a healthy moral lifestyle consistent with Seventh-day Adventist Christian principles. Therefore, the University expects students to attend the midweek University chapel service designed to focus the University community on its mission and to facilitate students' personal journey with God.

For Seventh-day Adventists, a basic tenet of our belief is worshiping on Saturday. Seventh-day Adventists observe Sabbath from sundown on Friday evening until sundown on Saturday evening. Consequently, the school offices and libraries close early on Friday afternoon and are not open on Saturdays. The library is open on Sunday.

The University expects students to exclude alcohol, tobacco products, cannabinoids, and illegal drugs from their lives
while enrolled. When a student chooses a career in a professional field, it is important to portray a professional image. Loma Linda University has created professional standards of appearance that will place our graduates in the highest level of professional health care expectations. These standards include no visible tattoos or body piercings apart from simple earrings. For further information, please visit Values and Lifestyle. Information on the professional expectations of School of Medicine students is provided in the Student Handbook.

From the student handbook, ". We believe that God’s ideal for sexuality is achieved when premarital and extramarital sexual expression and conduct are chaste, and behaviors that suggest otherwise are avoided."

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve been getting split opinions on this. On one hand, my sis is an OBGYN and thinks I won’t learn much about women’s health there. On the other hand, my mom went to a Catholic boarding school when growing up in India and loved the discipline the church provided. She thinks it would do me good. It’s the same reason she wants me to apply to USUHS.

To be clear, I’m not religious. My grandfather is an atheist and only sent my mom to Catholic school because it offered good quality education, not for any religious reason. My dad’s side of the family is spiritual, not religious. As in yoga/meditation/Ayurveda Hindu/Buddhist spiritual. And my parents settled in a city in South India with a large Muslim population and adopted the customs. So my religious influences are all over the place. Not really Catholic. Haven’t been to church/temple/masjid regularly in 3-4 years.

At the end of the day though, med school is med school. So idk. Maybe?
Do not apply there as you don't fit their mission. Have you even gone through their Admissions website??

Weird that your sister thinks you won't learn much about women's health when their hospital sees some of the highest acuity OB cases in Southern California, and they have an OBGYN residency program.

As a SoCal medical school alumni, I have a lot of friends who went to LLU. You'd get a solid education there, but just given your background, they'd probably have just as little interest in you as you do in them. So you can apply, but don't expect an II.

Reactions: 1 user