Program-Specific Info / Q's Loma Linda OT video interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found out my portal changed because their offering me a spot!!!!!!

THEY OFFERED ME ACCEPTANCE!! I’m still balling my eyes on and off. I asked them a hundred different ways if their serious. I’m in shock. This seemed so impossible to me.

I know it seems difficult, I spent the entire week in His presence.. staying prayerful and with full faith believing God is able. And surrendering to His faithfulness and goodness.

My story: I don’t have the best stats. I was waitlisted. I was always intimidated to apply to LLU. But when I attended their open house last year, I felt this strong nudge to apply. And there was no where else I was supposed to be but LLU. I lived down the street from them for years. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else.. getting the interview was a huge blessing in itself. The glory is His, not mine. OT was His heart became mine, His passion before it became mine.

HOPE EXISTS. Believe it. I saw a quote once.. “OT knows Hope still glimmers in the darkest hour”. STAY HOPEFUL. Hope exists.

Praying I get to meet YOU ALL!

I CANT BELIEVE IM SAYING THIS, I GOT IN! :soexcited: This emoji is not even accurate bc more like ugly crying in shock.
Congratulations! That's exciting news! Hopefully the rest of us get to hear back soon. This has uplifted me, there is still hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I found out my portal changed because they are offering me a spot!!!!!!

THEY OFFERED ME ACCEPTANCE!! I’m still balling my eyes on and off. I asked them a hundred different ways if their serious. I’m in shock. This seemed so impossible to me.

I know it seems difficult, I spent the entire week in His presence.. staying prayerful and with full faith believing God is able. And surrendering to His faithfulness and goodness.

My story: I don’t have the best stats. I was waitlisted. I was always intimidated to apply to LLU. But when I attended their open house last year, I felt this strong nudge to apply. And there was no where else I was supposed to be but LLU. I lived down the street from them for years. I couldn’t see myself anywhere else.. getting the interview was a huge blessing in itself. The glory is His, not mine. OT was His heart became mine, His passion before it became mine.

HOPE EXISTS. Believe it. I saw a quote once.. “OT knows Hope still glimmers in the darkest hour”. STAY HOPEFUL. Hope exists.

I CANT BELIEVE IM SAYING THIS, I GOT IN! :soexcited: This emoji is not even accurate bc more like ugly crying in shock.

Congrats!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out my portal changed because they offered me a spot!!!!!!

Congrats friend!!!! I'm a first year student at LLU in the MOT program and it's truly the best decision I could have made and all the credit goes to God as well. I applied to be one of the summer anatomy TAs so I pray I get it and get to meet you all!!! Welcome home!!

Hey

praying for you all! I created this account just so I can share I got my acceptance today! LLU is my top choice and I’m an employee in another dept at LLU! I was reading this thread last night and super stressed because I hadn’t heard back but they told me today that I got in!! Keep the faith everyone and good luck!
congrats!!!! I'm a first year MOT student here at LLU and I'm so excited for you to join us!!!

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!!

Hi guys!!! I'm a first year in the MOT program. Congrats to those of you who have received acceptance into the LLU MOT program for the class of 2022 (That's right, it's a 3-year masters program)! If you're on the waitlist, that's still a major accomplishment because hundreds of people applied and you were still noticed and considered.

Loma Linda University is so unique in that it focuses on whole person care: physically, spiritually, mentally, intellectually. That's why our motto is "To make man whole" and to continue Jesus' teachings! I've been in the program for 7 months now and it's been challenging, yet so rewarding and I feel so supported by the OT department faculty and my classmates. We have 53 people in our cohort, and I'm assuming they will end up accepting around the same amount for this year.

Your first class will be Human Gross Anatomy starting this June! It's a 7-week intensive course of human anatomy. You will truly "live, eat, and breathe" anatomy, so please don't start studying now because 1: you will burn out before you've even started, and 2: it's counterintuitive because the instructors provide very specific and detailed notes on what you will learn each week (the whole week's notes are posted online ahead of time, and sometimes they are pre-colored if you want to pay to print in color)

Here's what I recommend for surviving AND thriving in anatomy:
-Live on campus if you can. If you really don't want to live in on-campus housing, you can move after the summer quarter. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful it has been living on campus (I always have a parking spot, I could come back to my room for lunch, to nap, or if I just felt overwhelmed...also I woke up for lab late once and from the moment I woke up to the moment I was in the lab was 5 minutes)
-Meal prep every Sunday before classes (wish I would have done that)
-Print out your notes for just that week every Sunday (keeps you prepared for the week without being too overwhelmed for the following weeks)
-1 3-4 inch binder (after anatomy I had over 250 pages of notes in the binder)
-Multiple pairs of scrubs (I can't even begin to describe how gross I felt after being in the lab around cadavers for hours every day), there's really no time for laundry during the week, I did laundry on weekends
-1 thigh-length labcoat (this lab coat gets dirty quick, so I stopped trying to keep it perfectly clean. Also, don't bother getting it embroidered like many of my classmates did because it got so stained during anatomy and we haven't used the lab coat since anatomy)
-2 boxes of gloves (i went through multiple pairs a day)
-designated pens/pencils to keep in your lab coat that you won't mind getting cadaver on (sounds crass but it's true)
-wet wipes (to clean your tweezers, binder, clipboard, and/or notes after every lab)
-Twistable colored pencils (I was smart and read this thread before anatomy and a first year recommended that- it REALLY helped because I was able to keep up with the coloring and not have to worry about breaking the colored pencils, sharpening them, or them shortening)
-DO NOT PULL ALL NIGHTERS OR EVEN CLOSE TO ALL NIGHTERS I promise you it will only hurt you. I normally go to bed 12 am even during this program and I found myself passing out around 10 or 10:30 pm. Every day is exhausting, we were in lecture/lab 8am-5pm Mon-Thurs usually and then I went back to my dorm on campus, ate/relaxed for an hour, and went to the library for 4 hours Monday-Thursday. That alone puts so much stress on your body you NEED to go to sleep at a decent hour.
-Pro tip: our on-campus library does have individual study rooms for people like me that cannot study around other people because 1. it's overwhelming and 2. I didn't know what I was talking about yet. Many people don't know about these individual study rooms but they're there and I made good use of them! You can rent for up to two hours at a time at the front desk. You give them your ID badge and they give you a key to an assigned private study room upstairs and every 2 hours you can renew it if you want.
-Do NOT just rote memorize, I promise you that information will leave your brain just as quickly as you learned it. Really try to nail down the concepts, visually seeing the structures (on cadaver in lab, in pictures, on yourself, on your lab partners), and then you can learn the specific details, such as "brachialis inserts on the ulnar tuberosity and coronoid process of the ulna" Otherwise, it's just a jumble of anatomical jargon that will not benefit you in the long-term and might even hurt you for the weekly exams
-Find out how you study best. Not everyone studies the same, learns the same, or retains information at the same rate, and you know what? IT'S OKAY. Don't get down on yourself, you are obviously intelligent and worthy because 1. God created you, and 2. The OT department accepted you into graduate school. I know for me, I needed alone time to sit down and really process the information. Then every day you get to see your TA for that week, so ask them questions!! That's what they're there for. Clarify information and ask the TA to quiz you when you feel confident (that's how I ended up getting a lot of 1:1 or 2:1 time with them, which is really hard to get) Afterwards, I would make a quizlet and study with my lab group member. I know other people liked to study in groups and that's awesome if that works for you! There's also open lab time after lecture on Wednesday nights.
-Exams are every Friday (lab exam and lecture exam) so you have Monday-Thursday to learn the information every week before the exams
-Don't work during this time!!! If you absolutely have to, only work on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (you finish your exams around 12 pm on Fridays and are free until lecture Monday mornings), I applied for and received an on-campus job after summer anatomy ended and I'm so thankful for that timing
-Take a break on the weekends! This is crucial for your mental, physical, and spiritual health. If you want to get ahead and start reviewing for the next week's material, that's awesome, but make sure to take one full 24 hour day off to relax. I guarantee that WILL benefit you in many ways
-Now the burning question: you need an 81% (B-) overall to pass this course and continue on in the program. If you find yourself struggling DO NOT withdraw and go silent. You worked so hard to get here. Do not lose this opportunity out of struggling and fear. If you're struggling YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Talk to your TAs, your lab group members, and the professors. The pride isn't worth losing out on this amazing opportunity.

Each week of anatomy you stick with your small lab group (usually 4-5 people) and rotate among the TAs so you can learn from different bodies and every TA has helpful tips and different teaching styles.

Phew! That was a lot. I'm not going to sugar coat it, this course is so dang tedious, but it is fascinating and rewarding how much you learn about this amazing body God created. You CAN do this, I believe in you all. God has led you here and he WILL NOT abandon you. Much love to you all and welcome home to Loma Linda University Masters of Occupational Therapy program!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi guys!!! I'm a first year in the MOT program. Congrats to those of you who have received acceptance into the LLU MOT program for the class of 2022 (That's right, it's a 3-year masters program)! If you're on the waitlist, that's still a major accomplishment because hundreds of people applied and you were still noticed and considered.

Loma Linda University is so unique in that it focuses on whole person care: physically, spiritually, mentally, intellectually. That's why our motto is "To make man whole" and to continue Jesus' teachings! I've been in the program for 7 months now and it's been challenging, yet so rewarding and I feel so supported by the OT department faculty and my classmates. We have 53 people in our cohort, and I'm assuming they will end up accepting around the same amount for this year.

Your first class will be Human Gross Anatomy starting this June! It's a 7-week intensive course of human anatomy. You will truly "live, eat, and breathe" anatomy, so please don't start studying now because 1: you will burn out before you've even started, and 2: it's counterintuitive because the instructors provide very specific and detailed notes on what you will learn each week (the whole week's notes are posted online ahead of time, and sometimes they are pre-colored if you want to pay to print in color)

Here's what I recommend for surviving AND thriving in anatomy:
-Live on campus if you can. If you really don't want to live in on-campus housing, you can move after the summer quarter. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful it has been living on campus (I always have a parking spot, I could come back to my room for lunch, to nap, or if I just felt overwhelmed...also I woke up for lab late once and from the moment I woke up to the moment I was in the lab was 5 minutes)
-Meal prep every Sunday before classes (wish I would have done that)
-Print out your notes for just that week every Sunday (keeps you prepared for the week without being too overwhelmed for the following weeks)
-1 3-4 inch binder (after anatomy I had over 250 pages of notes in the binder)
-Multiple pairs of scrubs (I can't even begin to describe how gross I felt after being in the lab around cadavers for hours every day), there's really no time for laundry during the week, I did laundry on weekends
-1 thigh-length labcoat (this lab coat gets dirty quick, so I stopped trying to keep it perfectly clean. Also, don't bother getting it embroidered like many of my classmates did because it got so stained during anatomy and we haven't used the lab coat since anatomy)
-2 boxes of gloves (i went through multiple pairs a day)
-designated pens/pencils to keep in your lab coat that you won't mind getting cadaver on (sounds crass but it's true)
-wet wipes (to clean your tweezers, binder, clipboard, and/or notes after every lab)
-Twistable colored pencils (I was smart and read this thread before anatomy and a first year recommended that- it REALLY helped because I was able to keep up with the coloring and not have to worry about breaking the colored pencils, sharpening them, or them shortening)
-DO NOT PULL ALL NIGHTERS OR EVEN CLOSE TO ALL NIGHTERS I promise you it will only hurt you. I normally go to bed 12 am even during this program and I found myself passing out around 10 or 10:30 pm. Every day is exhausting, we were in lecture/lab 8am-5pm Mon-Thurs usually and then I went back to my dorm on campus, ate/relaxed for an hour, and went to the library for 4 hours Monday-Thursday. That alone puts so much stress on your body you NEED to go to sleep at a decent hour.
-Pro tip: our on-campus library does have individual study rooms for people like me that cannot study around other people because 1. it's overwhelming and 2. I didn't know what I was talking about yet. Many people don't know about these individual study rooms but they're there and I made good use of them! You can rent for up to two hours at a time at the front desk. You give them your ID badge and they give you a key to an assigned private study room upstairs and every 2 hours you can renew it if you want.
-Do NOT just rote memorize, I promise you that information will leave your brain just as quickly as you learned it. Really try to nail down the concepts, visually seeing the structures (on cadaver in lab, in pictures, on yourself, on your lab partners), and then you can learn the specific details, such as "brachialis inserts on the ulnar tuberosity and coronoid process of the ulna" Otherwise, it's just a jumble of anatomical jargon that will not benefit you in the long-term and might even hurt you for the weekly exams
-Find out how you study best. Not everyone studies the same, learns the same, or retains information at the same rate, and you know what? IT'S OKAY. Don't get down on yourself, you are obviously intelligent and worthy because 1. God created you, and 2. The OT department accepted you into graduate school. I know for me, I needed alone time to sit down and really process the information. Then every day you get to see your TA for that week, so ask them questions!! That's what they're there for. Clarify information and ask the TA to quiz you when you feel confident (that's how I ended up getting a lot of 1:1 or 2:1 time with them, which is really hard to get) Afterwards, I would make a quizlet and study with my lab group member. I know other people liked to study in groups and that's awesome if that works for you! There's also open lab time after lecture on Wednesday nights.
-Exams are every Friday (lab exam and lecture exam) so you have Monday-Thursday to learn the information every week before the exams
-Don't work during this time!!! If you absolutely have to, only work on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (you finish your exams around 12 pm on Fridays and are free until lecture Monday mornings), I applied for and received an on-campus job after summer anatomy ended and I'm so thankful for that timing
-Take a break on the weekends! This is crucial for your mental, physical, and spiritual health. If you want to get ahead and start reviewing for the next week's material, that's awesome, but make sure to take one full 24 hour day off to relax. I guarantee that WILL benefit you in many ways
-Now the burning question: you need an 81% (B-) overall to pass this course and continue on in the program. If you find yourself struggling DO NOT withdraw and go silent. You worked so hard to get here. Do not lose this opportunity out of struggling and fear. If you're struggling YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Talk to your TAs, your lab group members, and the professors. The pride isn't worth losing out on this amazing opportunity.

Each week of anatomy you stick with your small lab group (usually 4-5 people) and rotate among the TAs so you can learn from different bodies and every TA has helpful tips and different teaching styles.

Phew! That was a lot. I'm not going to sugar coat it, this course is so dang tedious, but it is fascinating and rewarding how much you learn about this amazing body God created. You CAN do this, I believe in you all. God has led you here and he WILL NOT abandon you. Much love to you all and welcome home to Loma Linda University Masters of Occupational Therapy program!
These are amazing tips! Definitely will use them as an advantage if I get accepted, thank you!

These are amazing tips! Definitely will use them as an advantage if I get accepted, thank you!
Absolutely, my pleasure! Awesome work with everything you're doing, friend!

Unfortunately my portal hasn't changed, still states I'm on the alternate list. Praying for good news soon.
Yeah I’m in the same boat. I’m so nervous and I am constantly checking my portal. I’m praying for us!

Is there anyone out there who has not received anything by mail, email, or portal change ?

Is there anyone out there who has not received anything by mail, email, or portal change ?
Yeah, i still haven't received anything by mail, email or portal change. I plan to send an email in a few min, though. I got accepted to a different program so I'm not too worried, but Loma Linda is closer and it is my dream program so I'm still praying to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i still haven't received anything by mail, email or portal change. I plan to send an email in a few min, though. I got accepted to a different program so I'm not too worried, but Loma Linda is closer and it is my dream program so I'm still praying to hear back.

Okay please update me on what they say. Praying for both of us to get some good news!

Okay please update me on what they say. Paying for both of us to get some good news!
Im praying for us too! I sent an email asking Madge if there is still a chance to hear good news the first week of Feb. I will let you know what she says. The odd thing is that my stats aren't bad, all A's and B's. I worked so hard on my essays and this is actually my second time applying to their program. In between the first time I applied and second time, I've been away from the country to do missional work for a year and when I returned, I quickly applied again. God knows how much I want to go to this school, but at the same time I have peace with where ever He takes me. Praying that we all do and trust in His calling.

Reactions: 4 users
Im praying for us too! I sent an email asking Madge if there is still a chance to hear good news the first week of Feb. I will let you know what she says. The odd thing is that my stats aren't bad, all A's and B's. I worked so hard on my essays and this is actually my second time applying to their program. In between the first time I applied and second time, I've been away from the country to do missional work for a year and when I returned, I quickly applied again. God knows how much I want to go to this school, but at the same time I have peace with where ever He takes me. Praying that we all do and trust in His calling.
I feel the same way. It’s my first time applying but U want it soo bad. But since it is so late into the admission process I’m thinking it is too late but I’m trying not to give up hope. God knows whats best for us so I am leaving it up to him. If it is where we need to be we will end up there.

Reactions: 2 users

Do you mind sharing your stats ?

I just received my rejection letter in the mail today. I’m disappointed - but congrats to everyone that got in & good luck to everyone else that’s still on the waitlist.

I just received my rejection letter in the mail today. I’m disappointed - but congrats to everyone that got in & good luck to everyone else that’s still on the waitlist.

Sorry to hear that. Keep trying and never give up.

Same. I received my rejection letter. bummer.

Last edited:
Oh no I am sorry to hear that:( Don't give up trying though! You can always apply again next year!

Hey guys,

I'm sorry to hear about rejection letters. It's okay to grieve and observe and embrace all your feelings, even when they really hurt. However, you can either use this current outcome to discourage you or to motivate you to become the best candidate you can for next year. Since you will need to apply again for the next cycle, look at this as a chance to gain a lot more experience with OT (see as many practice settings as you can and get involved with Special Olympics (I did that and had such a great time and looked awesome on my application), make money (LLU is so expensive), do activities and create experiences you've never had time for, spend as much time as you can with loved ones, create great relationships with mentors/OTs who can write you letters of recommendation, have more people look at your personal statement, and just work on yourself holistically. If you want to be an OT, you CAN be one, even if it's not in the exact timeline you wanted. Keep your head up, use this as a motivation to create the best possible version of yourself! Never give up on your dreams, and best luck for the future!!!

I just got home and saw my rejection letter in the mail. Very disappointed with myself but I will definitely not give up. LLU was my first choice but I guess it was not meant to be. Good luck to everyone that got in, wishing you guys success in school and as future OTs. For those who did not get in, please use this as motivation, to improve yourself, your grades, your experiences and apply again.

This has been a stressful journey but I am glad I had you guys as support along the way.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my rejection letter in the mail today. It's okay because I've been accepted at a different school so it isn't a total loss. But I want to wish congratulations to everyone who got accepted and hoping for the best for those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone waitlisted heard anything today?
Nope. Portal looks exactly the same as before. I hope we do hear something though.. since the deadline for the accepted students was on the 31st I believe?

Nope. Portal looks exactly the same as before. I hope we do hear something though.. since the deadline for the accepted students was on the 31st I believe?
Mine too:( I think that everyone accepted has different deadlines that they have to respond by but I could be wrong?

Hey guys, forgot to mention it earlier, but I also received my rejection letter on Friday. I'm totally okay with it, though, since I already been accepted elsewhere. Congradulations to everyone who has been accepted and praying for the rest who are in the waitlist!

Hoping you guys hear something soon!! I paid for my seat today. 10 were waitlisted, and from this forum alone I think 3 ppl turned down the offer so you guys should be hearing soon!

I found out because on Thursday my portal changed from waitlist back to normal.. and I called them and they told me on the phone. Today my portal changed to accepted and I was able to pay for my seat!

I showed them I really wanted it, Friday 1/25 I found out I was waitlisted, I contacted other potential ppl for letter of rec right away, I got additional letters of rec that Monday and submitted on Tuesday and I found out Thursday.

I’ve been in contact with them since before I got the interview invite, constantly asking every little question. I was starting to think I bug them too much but I wanted them to know I AM WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES— when I got waitlisted I was bummed but I knew LLU is where I want to be, and I wasn’t going to go without a fight or atleast try to fight for a seat. I want to be an OT advocate and I wanted to show them I am a fighter, and showing them I will first fight for me. I got 2 additional letters of rec. 1 from an additional OT and another from my OT mentor that was a letter of support from being waitlisted.

My advice: Don’t ask them what’s your ranking on the waitlist, they’re not disclosing that info— and ask them for advice while you’re waiting.

Hope you guys hear soon!
Wow, thanks for all of the great thoughts! What kind of advice do you think I should ask them?

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I’m so nervous and I am constantly checking my portal. I’m praying for us!
Praying for us as well. No change on my portal yet, still have faith that we will get news soon.

There was three that was accounted for in this forum that turned down their acceptance. They said 10 waitlisted right? I was moved from waitlisted to acceptance so that’s one less from waitlist that’s been moved already.

So there has got to be more un filled spots.

Stay hopeful guys remember some people from waitlist didn’t hear back til March and even til two weeks prior to start date!
Yeah you’re right. We just need to keep praying and be patient!

Hi everyone... anyone from the wait list hear anything? :(
Nothing yet, my portal still shows me on the alternate list. It's a tough wait, I hope we hear back soon. Does anyone know when they will conclude decisions and no longer accept students from the alternate list?

Nothing yet, my portal still shows me on the alternate list. It's a tough wait, I hope we hear back soon. Does anyone know when they will conclude decisions and no longer accept students from the alternate list?
Honestly it probably could be up until June once they start the program. Accepted applicants could drop their spot at any time until it starts

Honestly it probably could be up until June once they start the program. Accepted applicants could drop their spot at any time until it starts
Whoa! That's quite a wait. Keeping my hopes high, faith strong, prayers constant, and my head up. We will hear news soon, we have to trust this journey and stay positive.

Were you able to get in contact with them in regards to further steps while you wait?

Whoa! That's quite a wait. Keeping my hopes high, faith strong, prayers constant, and my head up. We will hear news soon, we have to trust this journey and stay positive.

Were you able to get in contact with them in regards to further steps while you wait?
Yes I was! I sent Madge my grade updates as I haven’t completed my degree yet. She told me I could send her updated shadowing/volunteer hours so I sent her those too!

@Ladyp_OT have you filed your FAFSA for the coming year even though we don’t know if we have a spot yet? I’m not sure whether to file it or not

Yes I was! I sent Madge my grade updates as I haven’t completed my degree yet. She told me I could send her updated shadowing/volunteer hours so I sent her those too!
I sent an email and haven't heard back. I want to call this week but I also don't want to seem too pushy

@Ladyp_OT have you filed your FAFSA for the coming year even though we don’t know if we have a spot yet? I’m not sure whether to file it or not
I did file for it, figured it would be one less step if I did get accepted.

I'm in a pickle with a scholarship award, they keep asking for the university's information and I have only until the 19th I may lose out on it.

I did file for it, figured it would be one less step if I did get accepted.

I'm in a pickle with a scholarship award, they keep asking for the university's information and I have only until the 19th I may lose out on it.
I just can’t decide whether it’s even worth it to file the FAFSA when I might not get a spot. I don’t know what to do. And oh no about your scholarship. I wish they told us sooner if we have a spot so we know how to handle this

I just can’t decide whether it’s even worth it to file the FAFSA when I might not get a spot. I don’t know what to do. And oh no about your scholarship. I wish they told us sooner if we have a spot so we know how to handle this
It won't hurt to file for it, it didn't take too much time. Personally I think you should file, we still have a chance to get in. I wish we knew sooner too but we must have patience.

It won't hurt to file for it, it didn't take too much time. Personally I think you should file, we still have a chance to get in. I wish we knew sooner too but we must have patience.
Very true! I did end up filing it this weekend so that's one step crossed off the list. Waiting this long is so tough!

How many of us in this thread are on the waitlist and still waiting to hear something?

I was on the waitlist and haven’t heard back. But I just now gave up that waitlist spot since I got into Midwestern and going there instead (also my top choice). Goodluck everyone! Almost there!!

Reactions: 2 users