Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is up with Loma Linda? It seems like it is the least talked about Cali school on SDN. I looked up its numbers and it is slightly less competitive then all the other Cali schools. What gives? I'm a Cali resident and would love to stay in state. Is there some kind of catch?

Members don't see this ad.

What is up with Loma Linda? It seems like it is the least talked about Cali school on SDN. I looked up its numbers and it is slightly less competitive then all the other Cali schools. What gives? I'm a Cali resident and would love to stay in state. Is there some kind of catch?

do you like drinking coffee in the morning?

It has a very strong religious focus which many people find difficult to deal with.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you like drinking coffee in the morning?

Yes I do, once in a while... Well even if they are against drinking coffee, whatever, I'll just drink Red Bull. What about alcohol? Anyways how would they know if I had caffiene?

Yes I do, once in a while... Well even if they are against drinking coffee, whatever, I'll just drink Red Bull. What about alcohol? Anyways how would they know if I had caffiene?

that's where the "downright silly" part comes in. I make it a rule not to associate with adults who have a six-year-old's grasp on reality.

How bad is it? Are they completely against abortion or somthing?
It's a 7th Day Adventist institution. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a religious expert, but I'm sure you could find information about that faith quite easily on Google.

I'm sure you could create a facade of someone who perfectly fits in, and if you would be comfortable with that, by all means give it a chance and apply. However, I know I definitely wouldn't want to apply to and attend a school where I would have to live some sort of double life, so I'm not applying to the likes of Loma Linda.

So they seriously ban caffiene? That is weird....

Do they also have a huge preference to select people that are the same religion that the school supports?

It's a 7th Day Adventist institution. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not a religious expert, but I'm sure you could find information about that faith quite easily on Google.

I'm sure you could create a facade of someone who perfectly fits in, and if you would be comfortable with that, by all means give it a chance and apply. However, I know I definitely wouldn't want to apply to and attend a school where I would have to live some sort of double life, so I'm not applying to the likes of Loma Linda.

Wow. I guess I'll look it up more. I just thought it was really interesting because it appears that it is the least applied to Cali med school so I got curious. It sucks trying to stay in Cali...

So they seriously ban caffiene? That is weird....

Do they also have a huge preference to select people that are the same religion that the school supports?
I work with a large # of Mormons (there are lots of them in this geographical region) and many of them do not drink coffee for religious reasons, either. However, yet others take their bras off in clubs in front of everybody. There's definitely a variety of lifestyles among people who proclaim to belong to certain religious denominations.

Yes, Loma Linda has a fairly religion-centered application. They would be asking you about the extent of your religious activities, etc. I would imagine that they would regularly accept non-religious individuals and people who are religious, but not SDA - however, I have no idea about the numbers, and as I said, just because they might take you doesn't mean it would be a comfortable environment for you if you don't fall into the majority. Your best bet might be to try and find some of those folks on here and ask them in private about their experiences as non-SDAs both in the admission process and during their studies.

Sorry, though I'm an atheist and all, I'm afraid I don't think this kind of attitude is really appropriate.

yes, in a perfect world nobody would have anything bad to say about any medical school. Of course, in a perfect world we wouldn't have medical schools made up exclusively of crazy people who believe in magic.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, in a perfect world nobody would have anything bad to say about any medical school. Of course, in a perfect world we wouldn't have medical schools made up exclusively of crazy people who believe in magic.
For you it's "magic," for them it's life. I think it's best to be respectful, as it also encourages respect from the other side - I'm sure you wouldn't like SDAs or followers of any religion different from yours to be referring to you as someone who needs salvation, holds "wrong" beliefs, etc. You can disagree with someone's beliefs, but calling them "crazy" and such only makes *you* look silly.

For you it's "magic," for them it's life. I think it's best to be respectful, as it also encourages respect from the other side - I'm sure you wouldn't like SDAs or followers of any religion different from yours to be referring to you as someone who needs salvation, holds "wrong" beliefs, etc. You can disagree with someone's beliefs, but calling them "crazy" and such only makes *you* look silly.

two things:
1) they already do refer to people like me as one who needs salvation, it's kind of the point of their club

2) They're not bothered by my lack of respect for their wacky decisions because they have "faith" and as such don't rely on feedback from contemporary society to feel good about themselves.

Religious people (truly religious people) don't care what other people think about them because they've found other motivation (faith).

Likewise, I'm not bent on getting the "respect" of people who disagree with me because what's the point? They'll still disagree, they'll just say they "respectfully disagree." It achieves the same end.

Religious people and I have a lot in common, I just don't believe in magic.

I am definately applying to Loma Linda...

I am not Seven-day Adventists however many of their lifestyle aspects that are incorporated into their religion are similar with mine. They see alcohol and tobacco and misuse of other drugs as harmful to our bodies. Additionally, exercise and proper diet are also part of their religion; I think they are particular about meat and their campus may only serve vegetarian food (?) Also, women have equal footing to men and have played an almost equal role in development of their religion.

I think it is less applied to because of the mentioned lifestyle aspects (I even think you might have to sign a lifestyle agreement if accepted?) and also poor location compared to other California campuses (because it is the "armpit" of Southern California). Also just to note, you obviously don't need to be 7-day to be accepted but I think there are a good amount accepted.

Hope this helps and I agree it should be discussed with appropriateness :)

I am definately applying to Loma Linda...

I am not Seven-day Adventists however many of their lifestyle aspects that are incorporated into their religion are similar with mine. They see alcohol and tobacco and misuse of other drugs as harmful to our bodies. Additionally, exercise and proper diet are also part of their religion; I think they are particular about meat and their campus may only serve vegetarian food (?) Also, women have equal footing to men and have played an almost equal role in development of their religion.

I think it is less applied to because of the mentioned lifestyle aspects (I even think you might have to sign a lifestyle agreement if accepted?) and also poor location compared to other California campuses (because it is the "armpit" of Southern California). Also just to note, you obviously don't need to be 7-day to be accepted but I think there are a good amount accepted.

Hope this helps and I agree it should be discussed with appropriateness :)

Thanks for the input.

As for it being deep in the Inland Empire, I much rather take that than muggy humidity, tornadoes, hurricanes, snow, hail, flash floods, freezing rain, below freezing temperature, and other types of precipitation outsides of the months of normal california rainy season (jan feb and march). Not only that, but I would love to only be a few hours drive away from home rather than a few hours plane trip.

I didn't have time to read all the messages....but Loma Linda will accept anybody. However they give preference to Adventist students. That does not mean they will accept an Adventist over someone with better stats. They look for students have a moral ethic. My wife goes to school there and about half of the students are non-Adventist. Even for those who are Muslim, etc....there are a lot of students who go to Loma Linda and are Muslim.

Caffeine is just something that they do not see as healthy. So they try to practice what they preach. Abortion isn't something that really is emphasized, or discussed agreeing with one side or the other. I am aware that in nursing school there they do discuss issues of euthanasia (many of whom are for it).....you didn't hear that from me....

Many people might be aware but the surgery of Baby Faye was done at Loma Linda Medical Center (Baboon heart transplant to a little girl). I'm not saying that it was ethically correct, but Loma Linda searches to be a leader in medicine, experimenting. They have been a great place for cardiac surgeory, and proton therapy for cancer. Going to medical school there is just like any other school.....you get the same information....it's just in a different location. (my two cents worth, take it if you want)

They see alcohol and tobacco and misuse of other drugs as harmful to our bodies. Additionally, exercise and proper diet are also part of their religion; I think they are particular about meat and their campus may only serve vegetarian food (?) Also, women have equal footing to men and have played an almost equal role in development of their religion.

Thanks for breaking it down. I was considering applying to Loma Linda, as well. As an agnostic, I don't see the moral conflict in applying to a strongly religious med school since you're right in that their chosen lifestyle is not as far fetched as it seems at first glance.

I tend to stay away from alcohol and tobacco and caffeine doesn't do much for me. I personally think we eat too much red meat as a nation, anyway. Especially us 18-24 year with our insatiable appetites.

I think I'm comfortable applying to them and don't see it as living a double life as long as I make my religious beliefs known to them early in the process and let them do with me what they want.

Thanks for breaking it down. I was considering applying to Loma Linda, as well. As an agnostic, I don't see the moral conflict in applying to a strongly religious med school since you're right in that their chosen lifestyle is not as far fetched as it seems at first glance.

I tend to stay away from alcohol and tobacco and caffeine doesn't do much for me. I personally think we eat too much red meat as a nation, anyway. Especially us 18-24 year with our insatiable appetites.

I think I'm comfortable applying to them and don't see it as living a double life as long as I make my religious beliefs known to them early in the process and let them do with me what they want.

I agree wtih you that the lifestyle isn't so far fetched. It's actually pretty good for you. I do have alcohol very occasionally, don't smoke, and caffiene isn't a big deal. Also I don't eat red meat at all. Sounds like a really healthy place.

Do you really think it is important to let them know your religious beliefs?

I interviewed there for this application cycle, and honestly I fell in love with the school. It really REALLY impressed me. However, the admissions office (and staff) has just been pissin me off lately. They took about 5 months to tell me I was waitlisted after interviewing, and they won't respond to any emails. I have gotten to the point that I am considering withdrawing my application even though I loved the school. Sorry I just had to put it out there.

By the way...whoever said they don't let you drink caffiene is wrong. They don't SERVE caffiene on campus (or meat), but they do allow it. Alcohol is a different story.

I'm speaking from personal experience here - I attended a very strict Episcopalian high school being an atheist. NOT a pleasant experience.

On paper they are all very tolerant, but when the head priest chooses to sit next to you every morning during prayer and then starts to elbow you when the hymn begins, it's not pretty. "Oh, you don't have to sing the hymn, you just have to move your lips."

ARGH.:thumbdown:

I agree wtih you that the lifestyle isn't so far fetched. It's actually pretty good for you. I do have alcohol very occasionally, don't smoke, and caffiene isn't a big deal. Also I don't eat red meat at all. Sounds like a really healthy place.

Well, telling them that I'm agnostic might not be a smart thing to do from an admissions stand point and it might put me at a disadvantage--though it might not from what others are saying.

The way I see it, though, is that it's an Adventist school and they should know what kind of applicant they're going to be accepting. It sounds like they're going to ask you flat out what your beliefs are anyway and if I'm honest, then I wouldn't feel like I was admitted on false pretense later on.

Definitely tell them your religious beliefs if you have them! Mega browny points....I'm with Instigata though....I've been waiting a couple months now to get in. Loma Linda takes for ever to make a decision. They haven't told me if I'm rejected, waitlisted, or denied. As far as those who are atheist, I'm not saying not to apply, but you got to have a big reason that will impress your interviewer. Your moral actions etc. can make a big impression, so you might want to stick with that and not say your atheist. Specifically if you get Dr. Lewis as an interviewer....religion and God are of utmost importance, not necesarily S.D.A. If you do get him as an interviewer, make sure you have a will to make a difference, change, and mission work.

Definitely tell them your religious beliefs if you have them! Mega browny points....I'm with Instigata though....I've been waiting a couple months now to get in. Loma Linda takes for ever to make a decision. They haven't told me if I'm rejected, waitlisted, or denied. As far as those who are atheist, I'm not saying not to apply, but you got to have a big reason that will impress your interviewer. Your moral actions etc. can make a big impression, so you might want to stick with that and not say your atheist. Specifically if you get Dr. Lewis as an interviewer....religion and God are of utmost importance, not necesarily S.D.A. If you do get him as an interviewer, make sure you have a will to make a difference, change, and mission work.

twolfbear, you haven't been notified yet? Maybe you should call them up b/c they were supposed to give out notification of your status by the end of April.

I am Seventh-day Adventist and well-acquainted with Loma Linda. I am planning to go there this fall.

At any rate, I can answer any questions you have about Adventism and (hopefully) the school. I know that SDA schools do not serve caffeine or meat on campus, but whether one eats/drinks those or not is up to one's discretion. They are not going to police your apartment/dorm room for meat or caffeine. However, if the school finds out you have been drinking alcohol or are involved with alcohol/drug-related activities, that is grounds for suspension/expulsion at the university's discretion. When you attend, and on the secondary application, you have to indicate that you are willing to abide by their lifestyle practices and policies.

The school is religiously-affiliated and as such, ethics are taught, but I do not believe any seventh-day Adventist or Christian beliefs are forced upon students. I have heard from all of my friends that attend LLU that it's a great environment for learning and the professors are there to try to help students learn and make it through med school.

That being said, if you have any questions feel free to email me....

Remember its not just about you deciding you're ok with their style of teaching. They prefer Seventh Day Adventists and give heavy preference to those and other heavily Christian applicants. If you want a good shot you really need to be active in your church.

I'm a mid range Cali applicant too and ultimately I decided to skip it. Because while I am Christian I do not attend church and did not feel they would take me seriously - I didn't feel like wasting my money.

From their site:
Selection criteria

Students are sought who have demonstrated throughout their academic experience a quest for a broad understanding in the major areas of knowledge--the natural sciences, the behavioral sciences, and the humanities--which assists them in the process of learning through their life experiences.

Competence in the basic sciences must have been demonstrated regardless of the major field of study. No preference is given to either science or non-science majors.

Selection of students is based on a review of the complete collegiate academic record, including MCAT scores, recommendations, extracurricular activities, and the personal interview. The admissions committee seeks individuals who have demonstrated a serious personal commitment to the practice of medicine and have altruistic goals and ideals.

The School of Medicine is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church; therefore, preference for admission is given to members of the Church. However, it is a firm policy of the admissions committee to admit each year a number of non-church-related applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to Christian principles and are best suited for meeting the educational goals of the School. No candidate is accepted on the basis of religious affiliation alone.

So take that for what its worth and decide whats best for you. Ultimately I wish I had tried - just for another shot to stay in Cali. But I doubt I would have gotten anything out of it.

twolfbear, you haven't been notified yet? Maybe you should call them up b/c they were supposed to give out notification of your status by the end of April.

I called two weeks ago, and also again today. They keep telling me that they haven't decided on my application. Also there is no set date when they will respond. I realized AMCAS states different, but Loma Linda seems to think they are seperate from everyone else. So I guess here is waiting till August for a response. :confused:

ok, i will tell you what i know.

i know that loma linda has their last adcom meeting at the end of june and will be giving out their last spots then. honestly, if you are not adventist i wouldn't hold your breath because they do give preference to adventist applicants. when i was interviewed, i was told (i am applying under special circumstances with a late mcat) that with my GPA (4.0), an mcat above a 30 would pretty much guarantee me a spot. just got my score today, 32T, so it looks like i'll be at loma linda come august 1.

sooo....if you don't get a call by mid-july, i wouldn't expect to. however, tha'ts not to say it hasn't happened before. they do two clinical weeks starting august 1, and i know last year they called a girl after those two weeks before classes began and had her there monday morning for classes...

Update on Loma Linda's religious criteria:

Supposedly 70-80% of students are adventists and the ones who are not are screened on how comfortable they'd be in a Christian setting.

Does anyone know if there is a adcom meeting in May?

no, there is no adcom meeting in may. like i said, next and last meeting is end of june. if you don't get a call after that, and you haven't been rejected, don't completely give up because they still might have a spot for you, but it's much more unlikely...