Air Force Looking for Air Force recruiter who is Army/Navy-friendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to get in touch with a recruiter from the AF?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I'm correct there may only be one or two recruiters that represent your zipcode. I'm only applying for Army because when I talked to the Navy and Air Force they both seemed disinterested when I said I wanted to apply to all three and I got the same vibe you got. The Army recruiter on the other hand has been extremely nice and helpful in getting me ready/ahead of the ball game in time for October board (I think?).

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm yeah I guess this is a way to help decide which branch to go with. I know the recruiters aren't representative of the day to day life of their branch's dentists, but I think of myself as a pretty flexible guy; I grow to like pretty much anything...Looks like I will apply Army and Navy!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't have a strong preference so I could see myself at any of them really. Good luck with your applications!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I don't have a strong preference so I could see myself at any of them really. Good luck with your applications!

Right back at you!

Interesting to hear others had these interactions. The AF recruiter I spoke with seemed disinterested when I said I was applying Army as well. My Army recruiter, on the other hand, was very supportive and even tried to supply me with information and contacts for both Army and AF dentists.

Last edited:
If I'm correct there may only be one or two recruiters that represent your zipcode. I'm only applying for Army because when I talked to the Navy and Air Force they both seemed disinterested when I said I wanted to apply to all three and I got the same vibe you got. The Army recruiter on the other hand has been extremely nice and helpful in getting me ready/ahead of the ball game in time for October board (I think?).
Interesting to hear others had these interactions. The AF recruiter I spoke with seemed disinterested when I said I was applying Army as well. My Army recruiter, on the other hand, was very supportive and even tried to supply me with information and contacts for both Army and AF dentists.
Right back at you!

I contacted a Navy recruiter. She seems mehhh. My AA is 21 but she said she could only submit my app on October board if my AA is 22. I don't feel the good vibe. Also, I have to actually wait until I get admitted so my app can be processed.

Then, I reached out to an Army recruiter, who just got down with the paperwork with everything, super super friendly and straightforward (telling me to either choose them or stick with Navy). They said their team wouldn't allow multiple branch application because they waste their human resource. I told them if its possible I withdraw from Navy (since I didn't do any paperwork there) and stick with them. The captain responded positively. Since they can submit my app on October, I threw Navy recruiter out and stick with Army.

Comparison between NAvy and Army, I feel my Army recruiter is very much more acknowledge-able. Since there is 400k debt riding on this, I don't prefer which branch as long as I can have a good shot at the scholarship and become a dentist.

Last edited:
I contacted a Navy recruiter. She seems mehhh. My AA is 21 but she said she could only submit my app on October board if my AA is 22. I don't feel the good vibe. Also, I have to actually wait until I get admitted so my app can be processed.

Then, I reached out to an Army recruiter, who just got down with the paperwork with everything, super super friendly and straightforward (telling me to either choose them or stick with Navy). They said their team wouldn't allow multiple branch application because they waste their human resource. I told them if its possible I withdraw from Navy (since I didn't do any paperwork there) and stick with them. The captain responded positively. Since they can submit my app on October, I threw Navy recruiter out and stick with Army.

Comparison between NAvy and Army, I feel my Army recruiter is very much more acknowledge-able. Since there is 400k debt riding on this, I don't prefer which branch as long as I can have a good shot at the scholarship and become a dentist.

I spoke with the Navy recruiter and he seems really interested in getting my paperwork together. I haven't gone to the Army recruiter yet, but do they usually ask if you are applying to any other branches? Or is that something that we would have to disclose to them?

Also, would it be late if I start talking to them in middle of July? I can easily grab all my paper works and information this month because I assume it is similar to the Navy (birth certificate, SS card, traffic tickets, etc.)

I spoke with the Navy recruiter and he seems really interested in getting my paperwork together. I haven't gone to the Army recruiter yet, but do they usually ask if you are applying to any other branches? Or is that something that we would have to disclose to them?

Also, would it be late if I start talking to them in middle of July? I can easily grab all my paper works and information this month because I assume it is similar to the Navy (birth certificate, SS card, traffic tickets, etc.)

my Army recruiter did ask me if I applied to multiple branches.

about the timeline, as long as you find a passionate recruiter, who can get all your paperwork in 1 month, then july is still early

Do you need a life coach or a recruiter? They don't need to be passionate about you. They are adults who are paid to process your paperwork...tell the you want to apply and get the paperwork

Do you need a life coach or a recruiter? They don't need to be passionate about you. They are adults who are paid to process your paperwork...tell the you want to apply and get the paperwork

It's not necessarily them being passionate about you, but about their job. I've heard about people having a recruiter with poor response time, etc who doesn't push their application in a timely manner and they end up missing the deadline for the first board. This would be especially concerning/frustrating if you are actively starting the process early (March/April) even before you have begun the application cycle for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not necessarily them being passionate about you, but about their job. I've heard about people having a recruiter with poor response time, etc who doesn't push their application in a timely manner and they end up missing the deadline for the first board. This would be especially concerning/frustrating if you are actively starting the process early (March/April) even before you have begun the application cycle for school.

not one word of that changes that if you want to apply, you tell them to get your paperwork turned in

For those of you that are trying to apply to multiple branches, I would advise that you do not tell your recruiters. Many of them will become apathetic in regards to your application. You are not obligated to any one service until you take your oath of office, and by applying to more than one branch you are boosting your odds of acceptance.

One caveat, you will not have the luxury of being able to choose which of the 3 services that you join if you are accepted to all 3. The army will come out with their decision first in October, and if you are accepted you will have to make a decision within about 2 weeks. Then the Navy decisions will be out in February, and the air force in April. This method would be a good option if your branch preference was Army>Navy>Air Force, but most people's preference is just the opposite.

Yeah I wouldnt tell them that you're applying to other branches either. The AF recruiter that I spoke to 2 years ago told me straight up not to bother with her if I'm applying to the navy or army, which now that I think about it, I should've brought it up to her chain of command because she still needed to do her job. Whatever tho, I'm happy with the navy. If the recruiter gives you any BS tho, I would contact another one nearby

Last edited:
Thing is: my Air Force recruiter told me to tell him if I considered applying to other branches. So I did that in the interest of full disclosure.

This guy is the only recruiter for my entire state. Am I allowed to use a recruiter from a different region? Wouldn't they consider it weird how I'm going through them and not my local recruiter?
be an adult and tell the recruiter to be one too...if you want to apply, apply

Last edited:
All right- I'll be more assertive in the future. I like to do things by generating goodwill, but you're right; if my packet has to go through him, I need to be persistent about it.

and you shouldn't have to be a jerk....if they tell you not to waste their time because you are applying elsewhere, you tell them that the other branches aren't guaranteed (they aren't) that you are trying to make sure you get to serve (you are) and that you will be applying and that you expect them to handle your application or get an immediate introduction to someone who will. It's quite literally a federal law that they don't get to tell you that you can't apply

Seriously I don't think the AF recruiters even care about actually 'recruiting'. The recruiter I've been dealing with seems disinterested in even filling out some basic medical waivers for me and he seems more compelled to convince me to not apply for the HPSP scholarship than to go through the process with me. I guess now I know why all the students here do Army/Navy and not AF.

Navy HPSP/HSCP applications require a letter of acceptance from a dental school as part of the application kit, unless you have a DAT of 22 or higher. Theoretically it's because they can safely assume you will be offered admission with a score that high, but the net effect is to put your application behind everyone else's who got to apply early with the higher score.

Navy HPSP/HSCP applications require a letter of acceptance from a dental school as part of the application kit, unless you have a DAT of 22 or higher. Theoretically it's because they can safely assume you will be offered admission with a score that high, but the net effect is to put your application behind everyone else's who got to apply early with the higher score.

Do the students with less than a 3.5 and a 21AA still have a decent shot? And for the army, I heard there isn't an interview? So, most of the weight is on personal statement of why you want to join and reference letters?

Do the students with less than a 3.5 and a 21AA still have a decent shot? And for the army, I heard there isn't an interview? So, most of the weight is on personal statement of why you want to join and reference letters?

yes you have a shot.

Last edited:
welll thats great for u........my Army recruiter basically said "either you withdraw ur app from Navy and apply with us or you stay with them, choose one, and the reason the captain gave was the same as one you received.

good luck bro.