Looking for some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBear91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I already know what my chances are....very low.

Ok so I will be starting my senior year next semester. If all goes well the highest GPA I'll graduate with is like a 3.1. Yes, I know. I had planned to take the MCAT after graduating, so I can really put months of studying in and then take it feeling prepared and also have time to retake if necessary. Then I will apply. During this time I will have more time for volunteering, shadowing, and maybe some research (don't have much of these at the moment). So right now everything depends on my MCAT score. Even then my chances aren't very high. The thing is I really want to become a doctor, but I'm not rich and I know that even just applying is so expensive. I don't want to spend so much money and time JUST TO APPLY and then not get in anywhere. Also, I'm 26. I'll be graduating when I'm 27. So after that year I'll be taking to study/take the MCAT I'll be 28, and then apply. So let's say I start med school at 29(!!). I know age shouldn't matter, and it's not what concerns me most but it is a factor. Let's say I don't get in anywhere, I'll be 29 now and will have wasted so much money. I do not want to do any postbac or special masters program as they will just me even more time and money. Sometimes I wish I would have chosen a different major and just have taken my pre-med requirements :/ But, can't go back in time so...

Because of this, I'm trying to keep this option always open, because it's the one I really want, but have also been looking into PA. This will knock some years off, some debt off, and I will still be able to practice medicine, even though I won't have that MD after my name.

Do you guys have any other career options or insight you could give me. I just need some advice, I'm feeling pretty discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

Study hard for the MCAT. If you score 500 or higher you should be able to receive some interviews at the newer DO schools. When you apply do so in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You will need to apply to at least 15 DO schools and include all the newer ones