LOR buzzwords???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr McSteamy

sh*tting in your backyard
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've requested a LOR which I have to write myself. like many docs, this one has no writing skills and no time. ;)

What are some examples of buzzwords to include in the letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess it somewhat depends on what field you're entering.

you serious....?

let's say i want to go into IM.
what different words would a writer use compared to someone going into EM?

While Dr. McSteamy was attached to our service, he consistently demonstrated a grasp of patient care that would be expected by someone further along in their medical training. He has demonstrated time and again the ability to think clearly under stressful situations and arrive at a working diagnosis with alacrity.

He has demonstrated a unique capability to communicate at all levels within the medical hierarchy and explain concepts of a plan to families, nurses, technicians and department chairs with amazing ease.

As such, any continuing education assignments in the future should be made with an eye towards Dr. McSteamy's greater contribution to medicine as a whole rather than the immediate needs of the service to which he has been assigned.

you serious....?

let's say i want to go into IM.
what different words would a writer use compared to someone going into EM?

Maybe IM and EM aren't that different, but what about IM vs. surgery? Peds vs. ortho? Yeah I think different specialties want different skillsets highlighted differently.

While Dr. McSteamy was attached to our service, he consistently demonstrated a grasp of patient care that would be expected by someone further along in their medical training. He has demonstrated time and again the ability to think clearly under stressful situations and arrive at a working diagnosis with alacrity.

He has demonstrated a unique capability to communicate at all levels within the medical hierarchy and explain concepts of a plan to families, nurses, technicians and department chairs with amazing ease.

As such, any continuing education assignments in the future should be made with an eye towards Dr. McSteamy's greater contribution to medicine as a whole rather than the immediate needs of the service to which he has been assigned.

so the highlighted words are the ones they're looking for?

so the highlighted words are the ones they're looking for?

"alacrity" is a great word. "unique" is so overused it's anything but. "amazing" sounds comic-book to me. just my $0.02.

Outstanding is always a positive

Best Ever also works.

Not to hijack, but what are some "bad" LOR keywords (in that passive-aggressive "looks good, but actually isn't" way)? I'm thinking "always showed up on time", etc.

Not to hijack, but what are some "bad" LOR keywords (in that passive-aggressive "looks good, but actually isn't" way)? I'm thinking "always showed up on time", etc.

-quiet
-reserved
-performs adequately
-appropriate fund of knowledge
-hasn't murdered anyone. yet.

-quiet
-reserved
-performs adequately
-appropriate fund of knowledge
-hasn't murdered anyone. yet.

I nearly spit out my coffee.

I would say that if this doc wants you to write your own LOR, you should tell him thanks anyway and ask someone else to write you one. This guy obviously doesn't know you well enough/think highly enough of you to write you a strong LOR. Otherwise he would take the time to do it himself!