baseballcc

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm starting to gather all of the necessary material to apply for research internships for next summer, and I noticed that the majority of internships require two LOR. I'm mostly looking at clinical research positions because I have some experience doing clinical research, but it was all done with a family member who is an M.D./PHD. Would a LOR from them be devalued because they are family and we share a last name? I was planning on using my college baseball coach as the other LOR, and I don't really have strong enough relationships with any of my professors where they'd be able to write a good LOR.

DameJulie

5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Would a LOR from them be devalued because they are family and we share a last name?
Naturally, a LOR from a family member brings some question mark to Adcom. However, if your other LORs are equally strong, I wouldn't worry about it.

aldol16

5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think that you would want two professor or research letters if you're applying for a research internship. They care more about your academic and research potential than the strength of your character, which is about the only insight a baseball coach could provide.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.