LOR for summer research positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballcc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to gather all of the necessary material to apply for research internships for next summer, and I noticed that the majority of internships require two LOR. I'm mostly looking at clinical research positions because I have some experience doing clinical research, but it was all done with a family member who is an M.D./PHD. Would a LOR from them be devalued because they are family and we share a last name? I was planning on using my college baseball coach as the other LOR, and I don't really have strong enough relationships with any of my professors where they'd be able to write a good LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

Would a LOR from them be devalued because they are family and we share a last name?
Naturally, a LOR from a family member brings some question mark to Adcom. However, if your other LORs are equally strong, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that you would want two professor or research letters if you're applying for a research internship. They care more about your academic and research potential than the strength of your character, which is about the only insight a baseball coach could provide.