This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you use the Undergraduate LoR?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Laoush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

When I was applying to medical school I had multiple Interviewers tell me that my LoR I had received from my PI while in undergrad was one of the best, most complimentary letters they had ever read.

Now I am applying to Residency in the upcoming match, and already have 3-4 reference letters (from my clinical time), but I am considering adding this LoR as well because it was so well received. I finished my undergrad 3 years ago (and received the letter then). I worked in the lab as a student researcher.

Thoughts on the matter?

I have done some googling and almost everyone says not to use letters from before Medical School, but part of me thinks it can't hurt.

Thanks for any input you might have

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

When I was applying to medical school I had multiple Interviewers tell me that my LoR I had received from my PI while in undergrad was one of the best, most complimentary letters they had ever read.

Now I am applying to Residency in the upcoming match, and already have 3-4 reference letters (from my clinical time), but I am considering adding this LoR as well because it was so well received. I finished my undergrad 3 years ago (and received the letter then). I worked in the lab as a student researcher.

Thoughts on the matter?

I have done some googling and almost everyone says not to use letters from before Medical School, but part of me thinks it can't hurt.

It will

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Thoughts on the matter?

Unless you're applying to a program where they will actually know this person (I guess that could happen) then No.

If you did research, whether it led to The Cure for Cancer or not, you can list that.

No one wants such a dated reference letter, though. It looks bad.

Reactions: 1 user
To Whom It May Concern,
Laoush was my student and worked very hard in t he lab. S/he will make a wonderful doctor, and I strongly recommend for your medical school.
Signed,
Dr X"

Now, what do you think a Residency Director would think about this, and your decision making processes????????

Hi all,

Thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: 1 users