LOR Help. Science Professor ghosted me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

11n6tardis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
About 1 year ago, I asked a science professor for a lor and he said he would DEFINITELY write it over the summer. I reminded him before summer as well. But recently, when I tried to get a committee interview, the staff told me that I did not have the required 2 science letters. I emailed that professor twice. The emails were a month apart, and he never replied back. I know it is also my fault that I didn't keep in contact and just assumed he submitted it. Now, I am doomed. I need a science lor but I am not familiar my other science professors and I am feeling very anxious about contacting them. I don't think I have anything that stands out. I am contemplating on whether to contact him again or not. How should I approach this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to his office hours.

Reactions: 5 users
I second atomi, I would go to his office hours. Something similar happened to me, except I had no way of getting in contact with the professor when I needed his letter. He left to his home country to spend the summer with his family and didn't reply to any emails during those months. He later apologized when he returned for the fall semester, saying that he had forgotten about the whole thing despite the fact that we met multiple times prior to his leave. Luckily in my situation, I had another science professor as a backup since I already knew this professor was a bit forgetful.

Definitely try to see him in person!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to his office hours.

Thank you for the suggestion. The only way I can contact him now is by email since he doesn't have office hours this semester. If I try to email him again, would it seem annoying?

Find their home address

Reactions: 2 users
I think you can still trying swinging by his office even if he doesn't have office hours. When some of my professors weren't teaching a class during a semester or two, they'd still hang in their office when they weren't working in the lab or having lunch. If you haven't already made calls to his office phone, do you know if the department he works for has a secretary who can relay a message for him to get back to you? I'm wondering if your emails are going to his spam folder

I think you can still trying swinging by his office even if he doesn't have office hours. When some of my professors weren't teaching a class during a semester or two, they'd still hang in their office when they weren't working in the lab or having lunch. If you haven't already made calls to his office phone, do you know if the department he works for has a secretary who can relay a message for him to get back to you? I'm wondering if your emails are going to his spam folder

I see. I will try to meet up with him soon. Also, I am sure my emails are not in spam because we have communicated via email before. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I really don’t understand how people can call themselves teachers, and have responsibility for students, when they are that inconsiderate, particularly when they promised someone something.

Never once in my career have I neglected to do something that a student needed me to do. I would rather say that I am busy and cannot do it, than promise something and then ghost. It’s so unprofessional and so many physicians do this, it drives me nuts. Then again, I am extremely ocd so...

Reactions: 10 users
I really don’t understand how people can call themselves teachers, and have responsibility for students, when they are that inconsiderate, particularly when they promised someone something.

Never once in my career have I neglected to do something that a student needed me to do. I would rather say that I am busy and cannot do it, than promise something and then ghost. It’s so unprofessional and so many physicians do this, it drives me nuts. Then again, I am extremely ocd so...
undergrads are basically worthless in academia. Premeds are nothing

When this happened to me, I was honestly super embarrassed about the situation because of the effort I put into trying to get it. I had this professor for 2 semesters and went to his office hours as often as I could so I'd at least somewhat stand out compared to the other 300 faces present for his lectures. I met with him in the week prior to my graduation so I could give him the materials he said that he needed to write one. But when summer rolled around, he never responded to any of my emails asking him about it since AMCAS kept reminding me how it hadn't been received it yet. I only got an actual reply when he returned in the fall with a poorly made apology :shrug: It was obviously too late then for his letter to be of any use to me

maybe ask the department secretary???

That or start making new friends.

The professor may be on a sabbatical and not available. I agree about calling the department office, or better yet go to the office very soon and explain your predicament! How could you not check to see if everything was in place? It was a year ago that you asked. Didn’t it ever cross your mind to check in September? While I don’t think the professor is blameless it is your responsibility to get the stuff you need for your application together.

I highly recommend checking out Interfolio so this kind of stuff never happens again.

Members don't see this ad :)
About 1 year ago, I asked a science professor for a lor and he said he would DEFINITELY write it over the summer. I reminded him before summer as well. But recently, when I tried to get a committee interview, the staff told me that I did not have the required 2 science letters. I emailed that professor twice. The emails were a month apart, and he never replied back. I know it is also my fault that I didn't keep in contact and just assumed he submitted it. Now, I am doomed. I need a science lor but I am not familiar my other science professors and I am feeling very anxious about contacting them. I don't think I have anything that stands out. I am contemplating on whether to contact him again or not. How should I approach this situation?
From the consensus I've seen on SDN, LOR typically don't help students. They're typically a net 0 that very rarely help students and in most cases when they aren't a net 0 they harm students. From this information alone I would be fine getting a mediocre letter from a science professor that knows little about you. Give them a rough draft of your personal statement and remind them about some things you did to help in class and you'll be fine.

From the consensus I've seen on SDN, LOR typically don't help students. They're typically a net 0 that very rarely help students and in most cases when they aren't a net 0 they harm students. From this information alone I would be fine getting a mediocre letter from a science professor that knows little about you. Give them a rough draft of your personal statement and remind them about some things you did to help in class and you'll be fine.

So it's all just talk when admissions officer or school reps say "a cohesive narrative shown in a personal statement, backed by meaningful activities that adds value the narrative, along with strong LoRs that further back up the student's commitments, is what we're looking for", the LoR part is all PR talk and nothing more?? Serious question regarding the LoR part.

So it's all just talk when admissions officer or school reps say "a cohesive narrative shown in a personal statement, backed by meaningful activities that adds value the narrative, along with strong LoRs that further back up the student's commitments, is what we're looking for", the LoR part is all PR talk and nothing more?? Serious question regarding the LoR part.
Most people have no idea what their letter said. A lot of professors have a template they use and just swap your name in.

What I think is horrifying is the fact that some professors don't believe in writing completely positive LOR's. I know of one who always makes sure to give an honest evaluation, and because no one is perfect, your positives and negatives will be discussed.

IMO, throw out the LOR requirement. Universities are big, professors are busy, and no one wants to spend four hours of their free time writing an in-depth letter for a student that will get them nothing in return. Sociopaths are on their best behavior around professors because they know a negative LOR will screw them.

A year ago? And you didn’t follow up?

You’re not a priority for a science professor in academia. Talk to his secretary, who will probably be writing the letter anyways.

Yes it's all PR talk- unless you have red flags from your letters. If you look at AAMC LORs are one of the least important thing to med school admissions in terms of acceptances. Due to this, I'm at the point where I have one really good science LOR and 2 likely mediocre ones from professors (this does not include LORs from ECs which are more in depth).

The best professors I know also happen to be crazy ones and I'm not taking chances with something that will impact my career prospects because a professor decided that a letter about me was their time to think about themselves.

This might seem weird but I do not ask for LORs from anyone that I've done anything seemingly wrong to. Come late to a class once? I don't ask for a LOR. Skip a few volunteering shifts? I don't ask for LOR. This might seem like nothing wrong but honestly CYA is more important in med school admissions than being unique.

Lastly, and this sounds terrible but it's true- sometimes checklist mediocre applications find more success than superstar ones that took chances. I forgot the thread but this one girl with really high stats from SDN was not accepted her first cycle because a professor decided it was their time to be selfish and write they didn't think the girl could handle med school. It's so sad that somebody would put so much effort into their 3-4 years of undergrad just to have a single person ruin all their chances. Don't take risks. Ask from bland mediocre professors if you have to. This system awards those who take little risks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might seem weird but I do not ask for LORs from anyone that I've done anything seemingly wrong to. Come late to a class once? I don't ask for a LOR. Skip a few volunteering shifts? I don't ask for LOR. This might seem like nothing wrong but honestly CYA is more important in med school admissions than being unique.
Don't you think this is a little bit of an extreme mentality to have? I mean, I don't want a new premed to browse this thread and get the idea that people are out to get premeds.

Late once to class? How would the professor remember this out of 300+ students?
Skip a few volunteering shifts? You're doing this for free. Real life happens, coordinators understand this.

Most people are reasonable people, and agreeing to write a letter of recommendation for someone and then talking poorly about them is highly unprofessional. Not to mention if the student doesn't waive his/her write to read the letters and sues for libel. It'd be best to just say "no", rather than deal with the possible ramifications of this.

Don't you think this is a little bit of an extreme mentality to have? I mean, I don't want a new premed to browse this thread and get the idea that people are out to get premeds.

Late once to class? How would the professor remember this out of 300+ students?
Skip a few volunteering shifts? You're doing this for free. Real life happens, coordinators understand this.

Most people are reasonable people, and agreeing to write a letter of recommendation for someone and then talking poorly about them is highly unprofessional. Not to mention if the student doesn't waive his/her write to read the letters and sues for libel. It'd be best to just say "no", rather than deal with the possible ramifications of this.
The more I've been exposed to the adult world the more I've realized how unwilling adults are with saying no. You'd be surprised at professors actually saying yes and then writing badly about students even students who are fine because of perceived slights the professor might have.

I can't count on two hands the amount of times I have asked to shadow doctors- have them say yes- and then have them not follow through. Or have a professor say yes to something and not follow through.

The adult world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I don't recommend premeds take the same extremes I have but this is what runs through my mind when I make these considerations.

The more I've been exposed to the adult world the more I've realized how unwilling adults are with saying no. You'd be surprised at professors actually saying yes and then writing badly about students even students who are fine because of perceived slights the professors might have.

I can't count on two hands the amount of times I have asked to shadow doctors- have them say yes- and then not follow through. Or have a professor say yes to something and not follow through.

The adult world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I don't recommend premeds take the same extremes I have but this is what runs through my mind when I make these considerations.
So, in your experience, a professor would prefer to say "yes" and take the time out of their day to badmouth a student in a letter? The same professors who are teaching classes, have research obligations, and multiple TA's to boss around? They would prefer to spend their free time writing you a negative letter instead of just saying "no" and spending time with their family?

Your doctors said yes, but likely didn't have time to, so they never followed through. It's happened to me, too. I understand that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but that doesn't mean a majority of professors are out to ruin their students.

This sounds like paranoia...

So, in your experience, a professor would prefer to say "yes" and take the time out of their day to badmouth a student in a letter? The same professors who are teaching classes, have research obligations, and multiple TA's to boss around? They would prefer to spend their free time writing you a negative letter instead of just saying "no" and spending time with their family?

Your doctors said yes, but likely didn't have time to, so they never followed through. It's happened to me, too. I understand that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but that doesn't mean a majority of professors are out to ruin their students.

This sounds like paranoia...
I'm not sure where I said anything with all the prefer stuff. This conversation isn't really going anywhere. Have a nice one!

I've been in your shoes OP! I had a physician offer to interview me and write me a letter of rec. I did the interview and gave her the deadlines. That was the last time I made contact with her. I sent her 3 email reminders over 4 months and then finally gave up. I'd recommend thinking of different people that can write you a letter. Anyone that is choosing to ignore you probably shouldn't write you a letter of rec. You have to bring in your second strings.