LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have quite a few letter of recommendations from professors and MD's and DO doctors. I have around 8 total, I was really good at networking with my professors and the doctors I worked under for a few years. My question is, what is a polite way to ask a former professor if the letter they wrote for me is a "GOOD" and not something that simply states I was a student in their class and got this and that grade. I picked professors that knew me pretty well, but I also know that they sometimes get lazy and don't write a good letter. Is it fine to send an email such as:

Hello Professor X,

Thank you very much for your decision to support me in my journey to medicine. The letter you wrote is a critical part of my application, and I am truly thankful to have gotten one from you. I am applying to medical schools in the next few weeks, and just wanted to triple check every part of my application. I wanted to ask if the letter that you wrote for me is a GOOD letter of recommendation. I'm sorry for such a question, however with how competitive medical schools are I really want to make sure every part of my application is stellar and beyond.

I truly do appreciate your time in reading this email, and look forward to hearing back from you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you did them through Interfolio, you can see the page total. I would assume if there are letters that are 2 or more pages long, those should be pretty strong. That may help you cut down on the total you plan to use. Asking them with the e-mail you constructed might come across as offensive. And they likely all think they wrote a good letter. It would have been better to ask at the beginning if they could write a strong letter.

If the Interfolio trick does not work, you could potentially e-mail them the AMCAS letter writer guidelines and politely ask if they were able to incorporate that into their letter when they first wrote it.

Hello!

I have quite a few letter of recommendations from professors and MD's and DO doctors. I have around 8 total, I was really good at networking with my professors and the doctors I worked under for a few years. My question is, what is a polite way to ask a former professor if the letter they wrote for me is a "GOOD" and not something that simply states I was a student in their class and got this and that grade. I picked professors that knew me pretty well, but I also know that they sometimes get lazy and don't write a good letter. Is it fine to send an email such as:

Hello Professor X,

Thank you very much for your decision to support me in my journey to medicine. The letter you wrote is a critical part of my application, and I am truly thankful to have gotten one from you. I am applying to medical schools in the next few weeks, and just wanted to triple check every part of my application. I wanted to ask if the letter that you wrote for me is a GOOD letter of recommendation. I'm sorry for such a question, however with how competitive medical schools are I really want to make sure every part of my application is stellar and beyond.

I truly do appreciate your time in reading this email, and look forward to hearing back from you!

The time to assess the likelihood of a strong letter is at the very outset, not after the letter is written.

Reactions: 1 users