LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailboatgorilla

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a question regarding a LOR. For some background: I started working as a medical scribe for a very well-known physician in my *rural* college town community. They had one shift a week that needed filled, and so I did and have loved it! I am planning to work more than that for the upcoming semester, but realistically only saw her once a week for a 5-6 hour shift for about a semester. Now I am applying for a medical school’s Rural Health program that if accepted, would guarantee admission into their medical school program once I graduate in 2 years (obviously with some stipulations but that’s the general idea of it). With all of that being said, should I ask this physician that I worked with for a LOR? She is a very driven, busy, honest person, and I don’t want her to feel as though she is writing for a student who she doesn’t know THAT well or risk having a letter that isn’t super personal to myself. At the same time though, her recommendation would probably mean the most to me and any applicant review team.

I don’t know if this all makes sense and tl;dr- I would love a LOR from a physician that I have worked for for minimal hours in the past semester as her word has weight, but don’t know if the relationship is QUITE something that she could go on about for a letter.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

5-6 hours a week is not trivial. Did you have any discussions with the doctor? Does she know you are applying to medical school?

With any recommendation that you seek, I would ask the person (preferably in person) whether they would feel comfortable providing you with a STRONG LOR. If they hesitate or equivocate in anyway, I would not solicit an LOR from them. If they are willing to give you a strong recommendation, I would provide them the AMCAS instructions (so they know what schools are looking for) as well as your resume and any other background materials that would be helpful to them when drafting your LOR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user