LOR - Science Faculty & Nontraditional Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yams_

BBA - Marketing, seeking DMD
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! As I've posted before, I'm a nontrad pre dent. This means I am scrambling to finish my prerequisite courses ASAP, which of course are pretty much science classes (I did the others in undergrad). My school does not offer committee letters so my only option to apply to CWRU is to have 2 science faculty letters. I feel that after only 1 semester, if a professor was willing to write this for me, the letter would be very weak and impersonal. I do have several professors from my former major that I am confident could write amazing letters, along with an oral surgeon I've shadowed (and been a patient of), orthodontist (I've been a patient of but has also guided me), and of course, the general dentist I've shadowed for many hours. I also worked full time and have professional contacts that would be able to write strong letters also. I would not use all of those, obviously, I just haven't selected which combo yet.

My question is, I see there is an option on the CWRU application like this:
We require either a committee/composite letter of evaluation or at least two letters of evaluation from science faculty. I am fulfilling the letter of evaluation by:
( ) Committee/Composite letter
( ) At least 2 letters of evaluation from science faculty.
( ) Other

If I select "Other" it gives me space to write.
"Please explain why your letters do not meet these guidelines."

I understand you guys are not the admissions committee, but do you think it would be bad to utilize? Or would I be better off with 2 weak letters that do meet the requirements then using the other letter(s) as supplemental?

Members don't see this ad.

Whether or not a letter would be "weak", as you suggest, would be a function of how much of an impression you will be able to make in the "1 semester". "Amazing letters" from your "former major professors" would serve you well, if you were interested in applying for grad school in business. They are hardly qualified to pass judgement on your ability when it comes to science courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! As I've posted before, I'm a nontrad pre dent. This means I am scrambling to finish my prerequisite courses ASAP, which of course are pretty much science classes (I did the others in undergrad). My school does not offer committee letters so my only option to apply to CWRU is to have 2 science faculty letters. I feel that after only 1 semester, if a professor was willing to write this for me, the letter would be very weak and impersonal. I do have several professors from my former major that I am confident could write amazing letters, along with an oral surgeon I've shadowed (and been a patient of), orthodontist (I've been a patient of but has also guided me), and of course, the general dentist I've shadowed for many hours. I also worked full time and have professional contacts that would be able to write strong letters also. I would not use all of those, obviously, I just haven't selected which combo yet.

My question is, I see there is an option on the CWRU application like this:

I understand you guys are not the admissions committee, but do you think it would be bad to utilize? Or would I be better off with 2 weak letters that do meet the requirements then using the other letter(s) as supplemental?
I disagree. All my science letters were after 1 semester, I just did extra projects with them and did exceptionally well in their classes.

You need science faculty letters.

I disagree. All my science letters were after 1 semester, I just did extra projects with them and did exceptionally well in their classes.

You need science faculty letters.

This makes me feel much better. I guess I just wasn’t super confident because it seems like putting a lot of eggs into 1 basket. Since I will only be taking 3 courses in the fall, that means getting to know 2 out of 3 of those professors very well. I think I would be comfortable, but I was thinking of it more from their perspective: “I’ve known this guy for 4 months….”

Whether or not a letter would be "weak", as you suggest, would be a function of how much of an impression you will be able to make in the "1 semester". "Amazing letters" from your "former major professors" would serve you well, if you were interested in applying for grad school in business. They are hardly qualified to pass judgement on your ability when it comes to science courses.

I guess I misunderstood what the purpose of these letters were. I was under the impression they were for a more holistic viewpoint of the applicant and their abilities as a whole, not just ability to learn/perform in science courses specifically. I definitely understand why they would want to know about science specifically, as this is a science INTENSIVE program, you’re literally becoming a doctor, but in theory, the way I learn new information in those business courses should still be relevant in science ones.

Reactions: 1 user