Louisiana schools part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

just got a packet from LSU-NO with all the information you could really want... health and immunizations forms, research opportunities,etc.. Anyone know when we get our financial packages?

Thanks
barakutha

chameleonknight:

Columbia University: New York, NY
MCAT 33
GPA 3.7ish

Members don't see this ad.

I havent heard anything from LSU-S, but I wanted LSU-NO since its 10 minutes from home

Not sure if my file is incomplete at LSU-S or what, they seem to be sloppy with phone calls/paperwork

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything from LSU-S either....don't know what the heck they are doing up there!

does anyone who attends LSU-NO know if we need to do a drug test? I know LSU-S you have to

I also have heard nothing from LSU-S. It's March! They must be really behind or something.

Thanks for the info cguidr4.

No idea on the drug test. It wasn't in the packet you got?

What kind of specialties are you guys interested in? I'm thinking orthopedics myself.

hehe who isnt thinking about orthopaedics..

same here... 4 years of biomedical engineering, i better do orthopaedics

Just curious....does the acceptance letter from LSU-NO come in a large envelope?? Man, I hope that there was a big meeting and we get something this week; this waiting is driving me crazy!

small envelope, with 4 pieces of paper in it

No news here still, I hate waiting too. Anyone hear anything or know when the next meeting is? How close to being full do you think the class is? We are approaching March 15....

LOL, I hate checking my mail and getting junk mail and no letter!! Man, my friends keep on asking me if I've heard anything from LSU-NO...makes it even worse!!

I know! Friends and RELATIVES!!! My sister is getting married next week. Everyone will ask. I am starting to regret telling anyone I applied. I hope I know something before then. I just hope it is not bad news. I hate thinking about telling everyone.

Last week I got something in the mail with a New Orleans postmark and saw something about medical school financial aid. I was ripping that sucker open thinking maybe I had gotten in and had somehow gotten an aid letter first (I don't know caught up in the moment I guess). Anyway it was just another army recruitment letter! Arr!

Yeah, I should've kept my mouth shut after the interview....I literally told my friends and family members that it was pretty much a lock that I was going to get in. I even began searching for apartments in New Orleans...THEN I get the "no action" letter. I was shocked!

I've never felt so damn good about an interview before. It went better than job interviews that I did awesome on in the past. LOL, I wish they had taped the interviews and showed them to each committee member. I just hope my "advocate" does a good job.

I'm still trying to be optimistic.....although the longer I wait, the more I start thinking about back-up plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I really thought I'd get in pretty early... now nothing. I'd really like to know how it all works and how many total have actually been accepted so far.

Back up plans. I will reapply, get a job? Not looking forward to that.

Is the committee meeting every 3 weeks or every 2 weeks now? I've heard both.

Happy mailbox stalking to you all.

i hear the committee sent out scholarship notifications on march 12th

Did you hear from the committee regarding a scholarship? Good luck.

Does this mean the class is filled and we won't hear anything until May or June? I thought there were be a good many accepted this month. Anybody hear anything? I know they are still interviewing.

yeah i got a small scholarship, should help lower my loans per year

i heard the committe sent out some letters late last week... at least thats what a friend told me the admissions office told her

good luck to everyone

Congratulations on the scholarship! That's great, I don't think they give many out.

This past week? Nothing here. Did your friend get her letter or still waiting?

they are still waiting to here

To those who have had problems or are frustrated with the people in the admissions (administrative) office, all I can say is that these are actually very helpful and nice people who probably aren't at liberty to say a whole lot about the status of your application. I'm guessing these are the same people (Yolanda and Loretta) in the "administrative office" that you ask what exactly "no action" and wait-lists means and all of that.

I'd rather them be vague with me than to say "yep, don't worry, you're in, tons of people in your situation get in every year," and then find out the opposite. They're probably instructed by the Admissions people (McClugage and Eubanks) to not go too in depth or tell you everything you want to know...first, it's not their job to do that, and second, they would be on the phone for hours at a time answering people's questions. Plus, they may say something that could be mis-interpreted by people, and that would be not-so-good.

As for financial aid, we've had issues with them for quite a while now. They've finally decided to bump up our monthly budget by $400, which helps out immensely. I wasn't struggling too much before, but it's tough with rent, a car, insurance, food and a girlfriend to think about.

For those that got into, LSU-NO, congratulations, it's a great school and probably the best-kept secret in medical schools in the US. I'm not sure if anyone is doing the type of things LSU is doing today (computer-based DxR cases, Students-and-Mothers, SPM, etc.). I'm an L2 and feel very fortunate to be here in LSU-NO. They've cut back on A LOT of class-time and added in alot of patient-doctor-student contact hours.

One piece of advice I would give to the incoming folks is to take advantage of all of those skills labs, preceptorships, DxR and ICM classes that help you practice physical exams and interviewing skills. I know you've got tons to study for, but those things really make you more comfortable out on the wards. Don't blow them off.

Puffy1,
Yeah, I don't blame them. I know they have a hard job and can't give out a lot of information. It is just very frustrating for those of us who have our lives on hold waiting for an answer. I graduate soon and don't know if I need to start trying to find a job or what. If you know anything about the admissions process that you could share with those of us waiting, that would be cool. Specifically, do you know people who were admitted a long time after recieving a no action letter? I interviewed in Oct and have had no word since that letter.

I can share one-tenth as much info as the admissions office can, so you can tell I don't know too much about the admissions process. All I do know is that there are three outcomes after an interview...acceptance, rejection and no action. As long as you're on the no action list, you're eligible for acceptance right up to the first day of orientation. It's happened before, though pretty rarely... if it's August and you still haven't heard anything, then I wouldn't get my hopes up.

My best advice is to keep giving the school updates on your academic progress and send them any notes on things that you've done that could help them make a positive decision on your application (such things as extra volunteer work, grades, extra-curricular activities, etc). That way you're keeping your name fresh in the minds of the admissions people. Just because you're done interviewing doesn't mean your application can't improve after the fact.

HOWEVER, you don't want to do this so often that you could be perceived as being annoying and overbearing (i.e. I wouldn't send them a note every day or week). They know you're anxious, you know you're anxious, and they know that you know that they know you're anxious.
Keep your head up and know that there are plenty of folks in your situation. I gave an interview tour today, and I feel that they have just as good a chance at getting in as most people who've interviewed late last year. In the end, it's a roll of the dice.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Puffy1!

Any news guys?

puffy1-
What weighs more with the lsuno adcomms?
Masters? or postbacc (second degree)?
Any advice would help a great deal.

I can't really say if they prefer post-bacc vs. a masters. If you do either, they expect you to finish it before you matriculate into school.

To me, the only drawback to a masters or post-bac is that it's a two or three year commitment...I feel that you can really strengthen your application in a year's time by taking graduate-level courses, retaking some courses that you were weak in the first time around, strengthening the peripherals (extra-currics, volunteer work, etc), and retaking the MCAT if necessary. Ofcourse, you have to do really well if you do those things.
Before you commit yourself to anything, talk to Docs McClugage or Eubanks first. They are accessible during the summer time and will be straightforward with the things you need to do.

out of curiousity, what high schools did yall go to?

I actually went to high school in Texas, I was living with my dad at the time.

Barakutha - I went to Dominican - graduated in 1995.

thanks puffy1.

Grace King High School class of 1999

Any news lately?

best of luck

bump

no news yet :(

I'm guessing us "no action" people will here something in May or June. This is when I heard from them last year.

Bump again.

No news here.

I read on another thread that this was the last week of interviews. So..... I would guess there will be an adcom meeting today. I hope we will hear something sooner than June. I have not heard of anyone getting in for a long time, so just maybe they were waiting until all interviews were finished to send out another slew of acceptances. Maybe next week. Maybe wishful thinking.

ditto. I haven't heard jack. maybe this week.
best of luck fellas and keep posting.

Have any of ya'll sent a letter of intent or supplemental information letter? I was thinking of doing so.

If I don't get in, I am really curious to see what Dr. McClugage has to say this time. Last year, he basically said that my stats were good and I just needed to show a stronger commitment to medicine = clinical experience.

I'm seriously thinking about going to the Tulane School of Public Health getting an MPH (get some research and great recs) before I apply a third and final time.

I sent my grades. I'll do that again when I graduate. I didn't send a letter because I didn't have anything to add.

Do they take notes when they meet with applicants who didn't get in? So they can see what they told you and if you followed through? It would suck if you did everything they asked and everything else looked good and they rejected you a second time. I think you'll get in. Especially if he remembers meeting with you and sees you did everything you needed to.

I'm entertaining the idea of masters programs too. Don't want to think about it yet.....

Good luck everyone.

From my interview at LSUNO on April 7th I found out several details. First off the last time the admissions committee met was on April 4th. They are to be meeting again 3 weeks after this, so April 25th. So some people should have receved letters sometime last weeks informing them of acceptance (which dean McCluggage said was very few), rejection or no action. Letters regarding the meeting on the 25th should go out sometime around the 29th.
It seems as though every time the committee meets those that have only recieved a no action letter are usually brought up again. But this may just be the people from the more recent ones, I am not really sure. The committee is supposed to meet a few more times in may to make some final decisions. After this most people will either have an acceptance or rejection, very few are but on the waitlist (which seems to just be the no action group) because he said they normally don't lose many of the people that they accept to other schools.
Until then may we all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.:)

Thanks Zeus! That is good to know. Hope your interview went great.

Couple questions if you don't mind. Did they tell you how close they were to filling the class? Or what your chances are of getting in after getting a no action letter? Have they even done rejections yet? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but if you know any of this, thanks.. the weeks are dragging.

Well guys, sounds like we'll know something soon. Good luck!

Zeus thanks for the information. Any information is useful right about now....I'm so getting tired of the waiting. It would rule if all of us get in!!

Taylor, I don't recall McClugage taking notes when I met with him last year. It was a very informal and laid back meeting...he basically opens up my file and says "you probably already know what I'm going to say." He was referring to my lack of hospital experience. Then I recall him saying, "you were there right up till the end." So, it seemed encouraging. He may have taken notes after I left??

They never really said how close they were to filling the class, but I know that he said they had some spots open. It does sound as though there are people that get no action letters and then get in later. I had gotten a no action letter back in January and finnaly got my interview in April. I think the no action letter just means you will be pushed on to be compared with those that are interviewed and brought up at a later time and meeting. I know they have done some rejections yet as well so some people have been eliminated from the original pool of applicants.
Once again I suspect that about 2 weeks from now we will all be hearing from them. Best of luck to all of us!

Thanks for the information Zeus! Good to know.

Bobmarley, cool to know he remembered you enough from the admissions process to tell you you were there until the end. Good sign.

Just a couple of weeks, hopefully good news for everyone!

Man. Not that it helps much but I was accepted late at both Shreveport and New Orleans so hang in there folks.

You will feel great, and it will all be worth it when you get accepted. (And when you are in medical school.)

Thanks Panda! Definitely hanging in there.

Heading out to Perdido Key for the weekend. A few days of beach is just what I need right now. Everyone have a good one.

I'm being optimistic: one more week!

Does anyone know is Shreveport is still interviewing??

i love it when your body goes.....

bump bump bump

so anyways, any news of late?

best of luck

No news. Don't know about Shreveport. Seems from reading other posts that most schools finished interviewing and filled classes weeks ago. I wonder if LSU is unusual in this long admissions process.

This week? I hope we all hear something good!

LSU/New Orleans committee met last Friday and has sent out some letters. Personally, I was just added to the wait list (no action taken). They are suppose to have another BIG meeting in late May following the May 15 deadline (the one where people accepted must make a final decision and usually opens up a few spots for the wait listed people.)

Thanks MDPHD2007 and welcome! There are a lot of us no action people hanging around here. Hopefully some spots will open up soon.

Thanks MDPHD2007 and welcome! There are a lot of us no action people hanging around here. Hopefully some spots will open up soon.

This verifies what Zeus posted earlier.....man, I hope we get something this week.

Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.