Louisiana schools part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the mail. Nothing. Anybody hear something?

Members don't see this ad.

In case anyone needs some hope.

I spoke with a professor friend of mine who use to be on the admissions committee. He told me that although the exact number fluctuates each year there are a good number of people accepted from the waitlist. He said 1 or 2 years ago they accepted 18 students who had been waitlisted. Most of this usually happens in late May/early June.

Thanks MDPHD2007. Hope is good right now. When did you interview and find out you were waitlisted? Do you know if the class is full now with the letters that just went out? Seems like everyone who interviews is either accepted or waitlisted (no action). I haven't heard of anyone getting rejecting post-interview before May. I guess we'll know something then.

Members don't see this ad :)
TaylorS8008, I interviewed April 14 and got the letter yesterday (I'm in New Orleans so the mail gets to me quicker). I don't know how full the class is right now, but I have heard of people getting rejected post-interview (second-hand knowledge but I think it's true plus I'm an eternal optimist so I believe that the "no action" people have a good chance).

Cool, I hope we all have a good chance. Looks like we'll know in May. Good luck guys!

bump!

Any news??? We're getting close to May 15th!!

No news here. Anyone know when they meet again?

I was reading an earlier post and it said that LSUNO interviews 380 people for 165 spots. So there could be over 200 of us in the "no action" category?

I'm assuming that they'll meet again after the May 15th deadline, so Friday, May 16th and mail out letters on Tuesday, May 20th.

I never thought about that Taylor. I would hope that they wouldn't be that evil. Giving someone who is #100 on the waitlist false hope is just wrong!! I wonder how many people immediately get post-interview rejections?

has anyone heard of people getting post interiew rejections?

From what I understand post-interview rejections are rare if they happen at all. I think someone mentioned earlier they had heard of a few. Everyone I know who has interviewed has been given "no action" status. I think people who don't get an interview are mostly rejected in March. Once you interview I think you wait until end of May/June if you are not accepted out right. So assuming they have accepted 165 people, there are 215 of us "no action" people waiting for spots to open up. Not a pleasant thought. Does seem wrong.

I was thinking they would meet again on the 16th but one of my mother's friend's sons is graduating this year and I think that was the date of graduation. One of my interviewers was a 4th year student. Wonder how that affects things? Maybe they will meet the next week?

aaah, May 15. The wait will be over soon. I read on another thread that schools won't get the information from AMCAS until Monday? Don't know if that affects us. Do you think this late in the game they will call people who are accepted or will we wait for mail either way? Good luck guys.

From what I've been hearing, LSU usually meets right after the May 15 deadline and has a long meeting lasting pretty late into the evening. I'm not sure if this will be affected by their graduation this weekend.
I don't really know about how they'll contact us with the good news that we'll all be getting, but a phone call is possible. I interviewed pretty late (mid April) and they called to invite me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell yeah, May 15th!! :clap:

I've decided that I'm moving in July regardless of what happens. I really need to get out of baton rouge! I'm going to be looking at some apartments near clearview and cleary in Metairie. Anyone know of any good apartments there??

Good luck!

Also keep in mind that LSU only takes in-state, most applicants apply to both NO and Shreveport, and many applicants also apply to out-of-state schools. (Not to mention Tulane)

In other words, you may be in a wait-list, but odds are that the crowd you think is competing for a few spots will dissipate to either Shreveport or out-of-state schools.

Keep your fingers crossed, folks.

Thanks Panda, that is good to hear.

Anyone get a call? Not me. I wonder if they met yesterday. Post if you get news!

MDPHD2007, when you interviewed did they tell you there were spots open still or that they were filled and you would be put on the waitlist? I am wondering if they still have spots open, plus waiting for spots to open up post- May 15. That would be sweet.

I'll ask around about apartments in that area bob.

What's up, folks? Well, I'm pretty sure that we should get letters this week or early next week.

Taylor, I actually looked around for apartments there by Metairie this past weekend. Didn't find one that I really wanted though. Oh well, I'll continue looking...may have to look in Kenner and Harahan as well.

TaylorS8008, I think they said there were a couple of spots open but that more would probably open up in the summer. Hopefully, we'll hear this week.

bobmarley77, lookking for an apartment here really depends on what your priorities are (price, location, size, etc.). If you want a big apartment complex/community then outside of the city is probably best (like Metairie, Harahan) and a little cheaper. In the Harahan/River Ridge area the nice complexes (but not the cheapest) are the Creeks. If you want to look in the uptown downtown areas then try looking at the rental ads in the paper (www.nola.com and www.bestofneworleans.com).

Man, I hope we hear something this week. This has just dragged on.

There are a ton of apartments around Elmwood. You could take Airline into school from there and avoid the interstate which has been a pain in the a$$ lately. I've never been in any of them, but they look nice.

For those of you accepted or hoping to be accepted, are you buying your computer from the school or getting one on your own. The price they quoted seemed high.

Good luck guys.

i'm just getting their laptop.. the price is high but it comes with all the options available (some useless perhaps)

on a side note, I called the housing people and they said housing notifications would be sent out this Friday

Hey guys.

I have never posted before but I have enjoyed reading ya'lls posts about what is going on. I have learned some information about the whole process and I think you all would be interested in knowing.

First of all, the committee has met. Many on here were right, they do not send out post interview rejections. There were 260 people who received no action letters. The whole committee meets and thee eliminated 200 off the bat. Then each member gave a numerical score to each applicant. 20 applicants received all 10s. There were only 11 spots availble. I heard that this class was loaded with exceptional applicants. Now I know that there will be some more spots opening up because some of these students will decline acceptance after being taken off of the the waitlist at other schools. But how many? Also, I am not sure what type of letter the other 50 applicants get who made the first cut. It may still be a no action letter. Good luck to all and keep up your hope. Unfortunately. I am not one of the 11.

Thanks for posting thelmalynx. When did you get your letter? Sorry it was bad news. Does it mean that people who have gotten no letter are in the 50? 260 no action people geez. I was afraid of that.

Barakutha, what options? Do they send that info when you are accepted? They didn't say much about it at my interview.

Anyone else working on an ulcer?

Sorry, another question. Was this meeting before or after May 15? Thanks! This is killing me.

No, I have not received my letter yet, but I had information that I made the first cut, but that I was not one of the 11, so I am not sure what type of letter I am going to get. I just hope that I still have a shot, no matter how slim it is. I wish I knew how I ranked with the other 50.

Thanks for the apartment information guys.

thelmaynx, how did you receive information that you made the first cut and the other detailed information (that 20 people scored all 10's, etc)....by phone??

Man, I'm nervous now, LOL!!

No mail for me today. Anyone hear? 11 out of 260, don't like them odds.

Same here. Just junk mail!

cguidr4, have you heard anything? I read the old posts and saw that you were applying for the second time like me. McCluggage also had told me that I needed to show a commitment to medicine and I felt that I did. What more do they want?? Hell, I think I'm going for an MPH at Tulane starting in the fall.

I haven't heard anything lately. All I got in the mail today was coupons for pizza hut. Those pizzones look pretty darn good.

I'm with you Bob. I did everything Dr. McCluggage told me to do (and then some). Hundreds of volunteer hours, 2 years work experience in the medical field, post-bacc courses. The only thing that I can see possibly holding me back is my MCAT Verbal score.

I'm at the point where I just want an answer (good or bad). I'm ready to go to Shreveport but I'm not going to sign a lease for an apartment until I am sure of which school I'm going to. It's hard to imagine they still have over 200 people without an answer from New Orleans. I would really like to know thelmalynx's source. If it's true we should here something by Friday. Best of luck fellas. Anyone going to LSU-S?

cguidr4, good thing you got into Shreveport already. Did McCluggage point out that your verbal score was low last summer?

If I don't get in, I'll ask him to be brutally honest with me this summer.

Good luck!

My gf from metairie told me today that she called the adcom office at new orleans. They mailed the letters out on TUESDAY so u guys should get it by thursday. Good luck

BobMarley,

Yes, He suggested I take the MCAT again to improve my score in verbal. So I took it in August. I improved my overall score by 2 points; however, my verbal dropped 1 point:confused:

Not much I can do about it now.

Thanks HitokiriX, I'll be stalking the mailman tomorrow!

Wow, the board has been busy since I was last here. Thanks for all the info guys. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

I forgot you already have a Shreveport acceptance cguidr4. That is good. At least you know you are going, takes a little pressure off.

Improving my app for next year. Not sure. What kind of MCAT score are they looking for? I could retake it I guess.

For the MCAT, it seems that if you end up with a composite of at least 27 (with a minimum score of 8 on a section), you should be fine. Throw in plenty of clinical volunteering, other ECs and volunteering, a 3.5+ science GPA, good recs, etc.

Did everyone here have research? I didn't so I think this may be my weakness (I was an engineering major).

I do have research experience, but not biomed. Chemistry. I don't think it should matter too much if you are not going for MD/PhD. When I interviewed they were much more interested in hearing about my clinical experience. I don't think my research ever came up. I did the research because I was interested in it, not for med school (wasn't even related). I don't think they would expect research from people who have no interest in research as a career path. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't worry about it I think it would be least important.

Originally posted by cguidr4
I haven't heard anything lately. All I got in the mail today was coupons for pizza hut. Those pizzones look pretty darn good.

I'm with you Bob. I did everything Dr. McCluggage told me to do (and then some). Hundreds of volunteer hours, 2 years work experience in the medical field, post-bacc courses. The only thing that I can see possibly holding me back is my MCAT Verbal score.

I'm at the point where I just want an answer (good or bad). I'm ready to go to Shreveport but I'm not going to sign a lease for an apartment until I am sure of which school I'm going to. It's hard to imagine they still have over 200 people without an answer from New Orleans. I would really like to know thelmalynx's source. If it's true we should here something by Friday. Best of luck fellas. Anyone going to LSU-S?

I'm at Shreveport. Don't sell it short. I think you would really like it. PM me if you have any questions about things up here.

do any of you guys have any stats/tips for applying to la schools (especially tulane). sorry, if this has already been addressed-if so please refer me

Cardiosurg,

Are you a Louisiana resident? You have be a resident to be accepted to either state school (LSU- New Orleans, LSU- Shreveport). If so, my advice- Apply early and do great on your interview! I think the interview is the most crucial part if you have the numbers. Of course I have the numbers, thought I nailed my interview and I am still waiting to hear. So who knows?

As for Tulane, don't really know. Got rejected from there myself, my own alma mata gave me the boot. My MCAT was probably low for Tulane. Their GPA requirements are not as stringent as LSU, a 3.4-3.5 should be good enough. But you need above a 30, probably 32-33 to be competitive there. They get a ton of applicants so you need to really stand out. Like I said though don't know a lot about it since I didn't even interview there. This thread really only has stuff about LSU. You might do a search, there is tons of stuff about Tulane on here.

Good luck!

I didn't apply to Tulane because it is not really an "in-state" school so being a resident of Louisana doesn't confer any advantage.

Not to mention that on their secondary application they asked, "what made you choose Tulane," (or something like that) and for the life of me I couldn't think of any other answer then they were in Louisiana, next door to LSU, and so why not?

Hey, my wife and I just got back from a long weekend in New Orleans. I really, really like New Orleans. I know you'll laugh, but I found the people to be the friendliest I have ever encountered in any big city.

I walked around the downtown with my six-month-old baby while my wife attended a seminar at the Sheraton. We walked to Tulane and LSU and took self-guided tours. (Heck, nobody questions you when you're carrying a baby.)

Anyone get anything...junk mail again for me. Friday should be definite if they mailed out letters Tuesday to everyone.

Nothing in the mail for me either. Do you think they send acceptance, waitlist, rejection all at the same time? I live in New Orleans, should have gotten it by now if it went out Tuesday.

Glad you had a nice trip Panda. I like the place myself.

That's weird. I have no idea what they do. Maybe just rejection and acceptance letters were mailed. After some spots are given up, then the 50 waitlisted people who made the cut get letters a few days later??

I'm kind of thinking the same thing bob. Obviously they would want to get the acceptance letters out right away. So maybe they went out Tuesday? Rejection letters there would be no reason to wait on, but could take longer because of how many. But they could be holding those waitlist letters another week as spots are opening up. Just speculation, the time I have spent on speculation through this process...

Anybody get anything today?

Nothing here either. I was also figuring it would get here by today if it were set on Tuesday since I'm also in New Orleans. I'm thinking Friday something could still come otherwise I agree they may hold on to those on the waitlist until more things happen.

Just keeping my hope alive.

Just junk mail for me too.

Mail came early, and again NOTHING!!! I am hoping this is a positive sign and means I made the waitlist. At the same time I'm starting AMCAS 2004. If you are waitlisted do you still reapply? I don't want to get rejected late and have my application in late. Good luck guys post if you hear anything!

Taylor

No mail again.

Is anything wrong with calling to check on the status?

Obviously, if it were sent out by Tuesday those of us in New Orleans would have it by now.

I don't know, I was wondering the same thing. I'm still guessing they only sent out acceptance letters Tueday, but could be wrong.

Thelmalynx, help! Did you get your letter yet? I know you said you already knew you made the waitlist. I am wondering if those letters are out yet or not. Do you know when we will hear? Thanks!

Man, I thought today was going to be the day! My mailman doesn't get here till 2pm or so, but I now I expect nothing after reading your posts! I bet only acceptance and 200 rejections were mailed and those of us that haven't received anything are on a waitlist.

I haven't even looked at the 2004 AMCAS yet. When is the earliest date to submit or has the date already passed? I guess I'll be working on it this weekend.

LOL, Isn't waiting fun? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.