Louisiana schools part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bump

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by smilingdawg
You'll have a blast living in New Orleans. I lived there for a short time while I worked at Tulane between undergrad and grad school. It's an incredible city and I definitely miss the food the most.

Hey, Smilingdawg, are you a Louisiana Tech graduate? Ruston is my adopted hometown, by the way.

Hey Panda,
Yes, I am a Louisiana Tech graduate. What makes Ruston your adopted home? It's a great time, but a little small at times. I went to high school in nearby Monroe and have lived in Ruston for the past 5 years except for a one year period that I lived in New Orleans while I worked at Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm having problems with the secondary!! (for LSU-NO)

1)pages 2-3 of the questionnaire do not print out right

2)lol, they didn't update the years on the repplicant sheet

Anyone else working on the secondary right now??

LOL, now the questionnaire prints out fine...weird

I guess I just use some white out on the reapplicant form!

What's up people? Sorry to change the subject on you, but I'm wondering if any of you guys are from Baton Rouge. I'm from Baton Rouge, and I graduated from Scotlandville in 99. Just wondering if I know anyone on this thread. Holla at me.

Hey there,

anyone starting tomorrow at LSUNO? Orientation begins... here we go

Hey everyone,
For the reapplicants, what are ya'll going to do about the wrong year numbers on the reapplicant part of the application? Just curious.

by the way, what is the standards form they are asking us to mail in?

I haven't taken a look at it yet but I remember that last year there was a standards form which you signed. Go to the instructions and there should be a link to it.

I emailed the admissions office stating that the years need to be updated on the reapplicant form. Hopefully, they send a response or update it tomorrow. If not, then I will just update the years myself with some white out. I'm not going to wait on them.

Hey, barakutha...please let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

thanks bobmarley... probably one of the last stress-free sleeps of mine

how long was the turn around time last year from completed application to offer of interview?

I think it depends on your numbers, etc? Some get interviews during the first round and the others don't get interviewed till the next round, which is from January-April.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by smilingdawg
Hey Panda,
Yes, I am a Louisiana Tech graduate. What makes Ruston your adopted home? It's a great time, but a little small at times. I went to high school in nearby Monroe and have lived in Ruston for the past 5 years except for a one year period that I lived in New Orleans while I worked at Tulane.

I moved down from Vermont about twelve years ago. My wife's family is from Simsboro. I transferred from UVM and completed my B.S. in Civil Engineering at Tech.

Just a wild thought: You may have seen me as I am the guy who used to run with his two, sometimes three, dogs. (I have five dogs) To this day when I go back to Ruston to visit my inlaws people stop me in Wal Mart and say, "hey, aren't you the guy with the dogs?" My claim to fame in Ruston. It is a small town, after all.

During the election I fitted George Bush signs to my dogs.

I live in Shreveport now and am a third year at LSU Shreveport. PM me if you have any questions about LSU Shreveport or if you are planning to apply.

Anyone applying Early Decision to LSU-S and also what do you think about Dr. Kennedy?

Originally posted by cheesypoofs
Anyone applying Early Decision to LSU-S and also what do you think about Dr. Kennedy?

"You're a rabbid anti-dentite!!" ...Cosmo Kramer

i really like dr. kennedy. every time i have met with him, he has always been supportive and a joy to speak with. his genial, grandfather-like persona encourages me to pursue medicine at LSU S.

Has anyone turned their New Orleans secondary in yet? Just checking.

I'll be mailing mine sometime next week. Still don't have all of my recs in yet so there is no rush for me to send it right away.

how is everyone doing?

anyone know when interviews start this time around??

I got one today for the 29th of Sept.

How did your interview go?

My app file wasn't complete until Oct 1 so who knows when I'll get an interview??

Anyone else interviewed? Good luck!

The interview went really well overall...1st was closed with an older woman and very conversational with a few tough ethical questions...although pretty much expected most.
Next two were open file and the first was tough with a self-described "devil's advocate." It got pretty tough but finally got through it. Third was with Dr. McCluggage (spell) and it was more like the first. Already accepted to tulane so I'm pretty much putting lsu on the backburner although the facilities were 100Xs nicer. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

I got an interview scheduled for the 22nd...didn't expect one this quick!

Wow...I've read most of this thread, and I must say it's been quite a wild ride. Around page 6 or so I found myself wondering what was going to happen to our main characters! This thread really captures the ups and downs and anxiety that comes from applying to medical school. Good luck to everyone who's reapplying. My brother and I will be starting at LSU-S next year, a bit nontradionally, because we are doing the combined program with LaTech. I hope you all make it; I really get the impression that this is something that you all really want and would be good at.

What combined program at La Tech are you talking about? I did my undergrad there and was President of AED and as far as I knew, we had no combined program with LSU-S.

I have recently been accepted to lsu-no and tulane and I am very sure that I will be attending tulane. I am just wondering what ya'll's opinions are between the two schools

Well there are 2 big difference you should be aware of when choosing which school to attend. Tulane will cost you about 80-100K more in the end. But the flip side is that Tulane is known to be somewhat easier in regards to your first two years.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

I am going to be hpsp in the military so I will not be paying that 100k more....That is why the number one reason to not attend tulane over lsu does not apply to me. I thought the students at tulane were much more laid back....that was definitely attractive.
Anyway, anything else you noticed would be appreciated.

Hey,

How long did it take you guys to get an interview at LSU-NO or Tulane once your file was complete?

smilingdawg, when were you pres. of AED? I think we may have had micro lab together (McKillip's class)

AED is the pre-med honor society...

I got the card stating my file was complete the same time I got an interview (last week). I'm a reapplicant and last time I didn't get an interview until February so hopefully this is a good sign!!

Good luck!

chameleonknight,
I had McKillip for Microbial Physiology and PCR Methods. I was in the last group that had the old Bact 214 instead of the new 260 class. By the way, Dr. McKillip is now at Ball State if you didn't know. My name is Renita, if you think you know me, let me know. Are you applying to the Louisiana schools this year? If so, have you heard anything.

i got my interviews about three weeks after turning in secondary

Does anyone know if LSU Shreveport has started interviewing applicants?

I just got an email today for an LSU Shreveport interview. :) My understanding is that they got a late start this year due to technical problems and didn't start inteviewing until late October.

Renita,

Hey, my name is Mike, and no, I took the 260 class right before I transferred out of Tech. I really liked McKillip a lot; the guy I was thinking of was called Chuka. He should have graduated by now actually; do you know him?

I applied to ALL of the Louisiana schools, but I don't think my file is complete at LSU-S or NO due to LOR problems. Come to think of it, Tulane hasn't acknowledged me either, so I guess I'm not complete there either. ( I took the Aug. MCAT btw)

Good luck! Hope to see some of you guys at interviews...

Hi,

I am a first year. LSUS will be interviewing applicants: November 4, 11, 18, 25 December 2, 9, 16 January 6, 13, 20, 27 February 3, 10, 17, 24 March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30.

Best of luck.

Anyone got accepted to New Orleans yet? I interviewed there 10/7/03 and was accepted on 10/21/03. I have an interview at Tulane this week on 11/4/03, but its a little pricey...

cguidr4,

Hey, its Chad from Bone and Joint. When will LSU-S be interviewing re-applicants?

Hope you're enjoying it up there, Michael told me that you're doing quite well.

Later,
tigermike37

I was accepted to lsu-no and tulane and I will be starting at tulane(i'm air force hpsp so $ not an issue) good luck at tulane though...

Does anyone know when LSU-S sends out information regarding tuition/housing/all that good stuff? Perhaps a student there now might know?

Hi guys,
when you sent in your Tulane secondary app, you were also asked to send in your amcas application. Did you show the list of schools that you applied to in your amcas app, or did you just leave that section out??? Thanks.:confused:

I left that section in!! I don't think that it should be a problem but who knows;) On a side note, does Tulane favors applicants from Louisiana who have stats that's around their average???

i also left it in...I've been asked at every interview what other schools i've applied to so i guess it really didn't matter in my case. (i don't think it would matter much anyways) I think that tulane accepts most of its louisiana students from the early acceptance programs(not edp) but my stats were a 3.83 and a 30 mcat if that helps

Originally posted by dan0909
Does anyone know when LSU-S sends out information regarding tuition/housing/all that good stuff? Perhaps a student there now might know?

There is no student housing at LSU-S (Unlike New Orleans).

Perhaps someone might know when LSU-S sends out information about financial aid?

Thanks

Tigermike37,

Congrats on LSU-NO and good luck with $$Tulane$$. Sorry, I have no idea when reapplicants are interviewed. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.