Loupes for someone with seriously bad vision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austin_predent

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my first year of dental school pretty soon. As the title says, my vision is pretty miserable. -9 diopters, pretty terrible astigmatism to boot (believe me, I know how bad that is!). I know that loupes companies will build prescriptions in, but I'm wondering if they can build in prescriptions that high. I couldn't find any sort of info online!

I know I could wait and ask the company reps at school, but if such a high prescription is not possible, I'd need to order contacts before starting school probably. I haven't worn contacts in years (only tried them for a month, didn't like them). I'd need to shell out something like $400 for a one year supply (yay, bad vision!) which I'd rather not do since I prefer glasses anyways. I thought I'd ask here before taking those steps.

TLDR; Does anyone with really bad vision have experience with getting prescription loupes? Obviously, I'd be willing to pay whatever premium. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

normally, loupe company can build any prescription into loupe, but you are limited on the frame choice, you usually have to get the full around metal frame and it lasts longer but not stylish and not top fashion choice

I recommend do not wear contact as your eyes can be dry and it will be uncomfortable to work in sim lab for a long time

Orascoptic, design for vision offer free prescription built in

univet and surgitel charges for prescription built in

dont feel bad about having bad eyes, its not bad its just not good

good luck and welcome to dental school

Reactions: 1 user
So, I would suggest contacts. The high prescription lens you have will make the loupes heavier on your face. You will want to be able to wear them for the majority of a working day. My prescription is -10.50, so I feel your struggle. I already want to increase the magnification scopes on my loupes and have only been using them for 2 years. Again that will add more weight. With our eyesight you will probably increase more with age at a faster pace than others. Also I believe Design for Vision has like a 6 mo - 1 year satisfaction return policy ( I cant remember exactly), but you can adjust your loupes magnification/frame choice/ etc. That maybe something you want to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact company reps to have exact answers. You can order loupes with a headband to counteract the weight

OraScoptic will do it. You could go with contacts, HOWEVER, should they irritate your eye, you get allergies, lack of sleep, all this is problematic for contact lens wearers. Your best bet is going with an Rx Loupes. Just my opinion.

I have a prescription and Q optics has the best option by far, with being able to build a set of specs that slide in under a curved frame like everyone else has (the nice fancy ones) and you too, can have that. You'll have to find out if they support that prescription, but I think you'll be fine. I highly recommend reaching out to them. They're your only option (if it works) to wear the curved lens frames that everyone likes. Hope this helps! I just got my new ones the other day and started using them today. 10/10 company.

I have a prescription and Q optics has the best option by far, with being able to build a set of specs that slide in under a curved frame like everyone else has (the nice fancy ones) and you too, can have that. You'll have to find out if they support that prescription, but I think you'll be fine. I highly recommend reaching out to them. They're your only option (if it works) to wear the curved lens frames that everyone likes. Hope this helps! I just got my new ones the other day and started using them today. 10/10 company.

I also use Q-optics. My eyes are awful at -8. I don't remember about Orascoptic but most companies (e.g. Designs for vision, surgitel, etc) will not make a prescription for eyes that bad. Q-optics did and like mentioned above, you can slide them on and off (if you're feeling yourself and wearing contacts that day). It's also a plus that Q-optics is one of the less pricey options with a full setup of loupes 3x, light & battery, and prescription lenses costing about $1200 all together. You can of course make the package cheaper by getting a light and battery elsewhere.

I also use Q-optics. My eyes are awful at -8. I don't remember about Orascoptic but most companies (e.g. Designs for vision, surgitel, etc) will not make a prescription for eyes that bad. Q-optics did and like mentioned above, you can slide them on and off (if you're feeling yourself and wearing contacts that day). It's also a plus that Q-optics is one of the less pricey options with a full setup of loupes 3x, light & battery, and prescription lenses costing about $1200 all together. You can of course make the package cheaper by getting a light and battery elsewhere.
Hi!! I'm debating between the curved sport frame with insert or the regular frames with the prescription on the glass. From your experience- If you try to see from the sides of the loupes, for example if you want to see an xray or write something down without taking off the loupes, is the insert big enough that you can see well from the sides? Do you ever feel that you see the line where the insert ends? I know this is an older post, but right now I got a more expensive quote from Q optics than Orascoptics (for 3.5 prismatics), school prices :O

Is laser correction an option?

I got my loupes without a prescription in them and wore contacts for the first year of dental school. Then during summer break I had laser correction done and I’ve haven’t needed glasses or contacts since. (20 yrs later) I don’t know if its a possibility with your stats? My eyes weren’t as bad as yours.

Hi!! I'm debating between the curved sport frame with insert or the regular frames with the prescription on the glass. From your experience- If you try to see from the sides of the loupes, for example if you want to see an xray or write something down without taking off the loupes, is the insert big enough that you can see well from the sides? Do you ever feel that you see the line where the insert ends? I know this is an older post, but right now I got a more expensive quote from Q optics than Orascoptics (for 3.5 prismatics), school prices :O

If $$ is about the same, my opinion is for orascoptic

Q optics is fine but orascoptic has a wider field of vision. Try them on yourself at a vendor fair before spending cash

As someone with special eyes, I’d just try to get your prescription built in. I’d also probably go with orascoptic if you have a loupe choice since you can replace your lenses over the lifetime of your loupes. I wouldn’t do contact because what if you can’t wear them that day. The reps are pretty good with advising you if you have a unique case. You could also talk to your eye doctor about it as well.

I wear contacts so I wouldn't have to get prescriptions in my loupes. A year ago I though about getting a pair of prescription just in case I can't wear my contacts (this has never been an issue). I spoke with a few companies. All said that with prescriptions that high, the sports/curved frame would not be an option as it would distort the image to much in the periphery.