Low GPA, High MCAT...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitherefriend

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you are fine. Personally, I think the MCAT weighs more than the GPA. Just explain your GPA in your PS and interview. You have solid clinical experience IMO.

Your numbers are fine. I've heard mixed things about the SMP. You might want to reconsider going. Rumor has it that G-town Med School doesn't take that many SMP students and those that do get in did extremely well. Plus, it is very expensive.

I think you should just take some undergrad Science course at a nearby College (4 year University, not Community) and apply on your own without the SMP. That will boost your BCMP and save you a lot of money.

You'll be fine. If one has to choose, I'd rather have a high MCAT and low GPA than the other way around. UC schools might be tough, but also look at: Drexel, Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Saint Louis, GW, G-town, BU, Tufts, Albany, Rochester, Tulane, MC Wisconsin, amongst others.

Think VERY carefully before going to the SMP. With all expenses include (rent in DC is VERY expensive), you're talking $60K. If your parents are nice enough to let you live at home and take some classes at nearby public schools, your expenses for the next year could be less than $20K (including gas, food, etc.). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my situation:

Overall GPA: 3.4
Sci GPA: ~3.3
Very good increasing trend (esp my jr and sr years) with almost a 4.0 GPA senior year.

MCAT: 11 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS 34P

Main EC's:
2 summers of hospital shadowing
1 year clinical research
2 years director of a clinical volunteer project
3 years leadership position for a fundraising event for a hospital

I'm attending Georgetown's SMP program this fall.

How solid are my chances? How many schools should I be applying to, any off hand suggestions? Any chance for UC Davis/UC Irvine (as a CA resident)

Thanks for all your help! I'm very worried :/

I was a low GPA high MCAT applier 2 cycles ago (and a CA resident). I think the high MCAT helps, but does not offset, a low (low being a relative term, in this case anything <3.5 ~low) GPA. I would say to apply realistically, meaning look hard at the MSAR and find schools whose average matriculant GPA is as close to yours as possible. My feeling is that ADCOMs don't feel that great about a disparity in GPA and MCAT, but that's just my feeling. Since you're a CA resident, a lot of these school will probably be private OOS. I don't know if you need to do an SMP, I've heard they cost big $$. Depending on where you live, some of the state schools (at least I know SF state) have informal post-bac programs you can do where you take science classes that will count toward your UG GPA. So, to summarize, I don't think you're doomed, but it won't be a walk in the park either.

You're fine. Your GPA isn't even that low (and your MCAT is fine). You'll still have to apply broadly just because there's so much luck in the game, but you should do alright with about a dozen schools. Apply high and low. You never know just who will take a chance!

You're fine. Your GPA isn't even that low (and your MCAT is fine). You'll still have to apply broadly just because there's so much luck in the game, but you should do alright with about a dozen schools. Apply high and low. You never know just who will take a chance!

But you also don't want to spend $500 in 2ndary fees applying to 5 big time schools with matriculant GPAs of 3.7-3.8. It is true that there is no 100% guaranteed way to play this game, but there are ways to increase your chances. It's true that the OP's GPA isn't that low, but his/her sci GPA of 3.3 is a fair amount lower than a lot of schools and could cause the OP to get passed over by a lot of schools.