low grade in ochem, still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megs50

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
question answered =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry but at most schools a C- is not transferrable, so most likely you will have to take it over anyway :(
Also if its A&P is combined you usually have to take part 1 and 2.

A C- won't kill your chances. You seem to have good grades otherwise, and your ec's look good. A retake is a must though cause pharmacy schools won't accept any grade lower than a C for the prereqs. As for A&P, it's all going to depend on what schools you are applying to so you need to talk to each school. If the school only requires anatomy, then I don't know that one semester of A&P will fulfill the requirement (same goes for physiology). Likewise, if a school requires both A&P I'm pretty sure the course needs to be two semesters long. I'm not positive though. Easiest way to get your question answered is to talk to the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
you GPA is fine but you will have to take it again even if accepted b/c most school will only accept as low as a C.

I made C's in both O chem 1 and 2 and I'm sitting in my 9th quarter of pharmacy school right now. You'll be FINE. Just work hard in all your other areas. :)

I made C's in both O chem 1 and 2 and I'm sitting in my 9th quarter of pharmacy school right now. You'll be FINE. Just work hard in all your other areas. :)

The OP made a C- that's a big difference from a C, so he or she will have to repeat the class no matter what.

Last edited:
Ah I did undergrad at a school that doesn't have + & - system.

Ah I did undergrad at a school that doesn't have + & - system.

Me too and I'm glad, I would hate to be put in the position that one point will dictate my whole future...screw that!

It also depends on if the school they are applying to even looks at the grades that are -/+. I know my pharmacy school doesn't even though the undergrad campus that it's attached to does give grades that are +/- because it's more fair to everyone when assessing GPA. It can either hurt or help you depending on which you got.

Yeah I'm wondering how PharmCas will review my grades. I transferred to a school with no +/- system and I've already finished some summer classes. So will PharmCas see those grades as whole letter grades, or will they look at the number grade? Or do they have a special grading system for schools that don't go by +/-?

As mentioned in another thread, most schools recalculate GPA based on their scale so they *may* ignore the + / - anyway. Check with the schools and see how they recalculate. Good luck!

Ummm, ok. First of all you are at Cornell. Second of all you are at Cornell.
Ad Coms may have been concerned if you had received a C- in organic chemistry at a community college, but I think you're in a different boat all together. Would it look good on your transcript to retake the course? Sure. Is it of utmost necessity, I don't think so. If you can show Ad Coms that you know your chemistry by doing well on that portion of the PCAT, I think you will be just fine. We are all human, not everyone can be an expert at every single science discipline offered at university, and I think most people can attest to the fact that organic chemistry is not an easy class (this includes ad coms).

I agree with you. Cornell would be looked a differently from a CC. However, i think it still has to meet the minimum requirement which is a C for most schools. I think the OP should retake it because it's a C- and not a C. A C would've been fine.

Ummm, ok. First of all you are at Cornell. Second of all you are at Cornell.
Ad Coms may have been concerned if you had received a C- in organic chemistry at a community college, but I think you're in a different boat all together. Would it look good on your transcript to retake the course? Sure. Is it of utmost necessity, I don't think so. If you can show Ad Coms that you know your chemistry by doing well on that portion of the PCAT, I think you will be just fine. We are all human, not everyone can be an expert at every single science discipline offered at university, and I think most people can attest to the fact that organic chemistry is not an easy class (this includes ad coms).

From past experience, I know that Albany College of Pharmacy doesn't care where your grades are coming from - as long as they are B's and higher. When I applied as a second year transfer, you only needed a C or higher for grades to transfer and they would not accept my C- (university I attended is compatible to Cornell University.)

Pharm schools don't care where you get your grades from... you can get a 3.0 from Harvard, a 3.5 from a University of BlahbBlah or get a 4.0 from CC at the end of the day if all three person have 80PCAT then the 4.0 is going to get in.

This thread is going all kinds of places, to the OP please call the schools that you are interested in because its better to hear your answer from the horses mouth!

HTH