Low physics grade...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anm2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

So I got a C in physics I last semester. I was at about a 79.38 and my professor didn't curve it to a B.
Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many did you apply to and which ones. What is your gpa and sgpa. What is your DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see what is the big deal here. You passed physics I with a C. It's okay to have 1-3 C's, as long as you have a solid application. Based on your post, you have an A in physics II.

Clearly, something else is at fault and we can't pinpoint it for you unless you elaborate on your application details and interview experiences. It will help if you mention about your DAT, extra-curriculars, what schools you applied to, and what state you are from (so we can know if you are IS or OOS applicant). It could also be your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see what is the big deal here. You passed physics I with a C. It's okay to have 1-3 C's, as long as you have a solid application. Based on your post, you have an A in physics II.

Clearly, something else is at fault and we can't pinpoint it for you unless you elaborate on your application details and interview experiences. It will help if you mention about your DAT, extra-curriculars, what schools you applied to, and what state you are from (so we can know if you are IS or OOS applicant). It could also be your personal statement.
My DAT was low (18 science, 17 academic) im terrible at math, but I'll be retaking it in June, before I submit my application. I have a 3.6 science gap and 3.8 overall. I have numerous honors( which I got more this year),

Last edited:
Well I applied to the dental school before I received the C.
I'm planning on re-applying to UMKC and also applying to ASU in kirskivlle, MO, and some out of state dental schools. Which ones are good ones that I would qualify for? I need all the advice I can get.
Thanks.

Last edited:
How many did you apply to and which ones. What is your gpa and sgpa. What is your DAT.
Just to UMKC.
3.8 overall, 3.6 sgpa. 17 AA, 18science but I'll be retaking it before reapplying to improve my score.

You shouldn't just apply to one school and your DAT is below average. Those two are infinitely more important than your C. Retake the DAT and consider more schools next cycle.

The most alarming part of your application is your DAT, the 17 AA is below the average DAT of applicants accepted. As a result, you should have applied to more schools that are OOS friendly and have a higher cost of tuition (private schools). I don't understand why you wouldn't put your work experiences in your application. If you think your multiple work experiences have made you a well rounded person and/or hindered your ability to do better in school/DAT, then list that down.

At this point, you should research and make a list of OOS friendly schools. Re-take the DAT and aim for 20+ AA, this is your top priority! Good luck in the next upcoming cycle! :)

Reactions: 1 user
OP should list his work experience and with a 22+ dat would be competitive to almost every school save Harvard.

Guys,

So I got a C in physics I last semester. I was at about a 79.38 and my jerk professor didn't curve it to a B.
It's a freshman level physics but HE MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT. I got rejected from dental school I applied to last year and I'm afraid my low grade in physics will get me rejected again.
It is my ONLY C in the last 4 years. I've gotten A's in all chemistries, genetics, biochem, anatomy, etc. HELP ME. What to do? :( I don't think I can handle another rejection.
Thank you all!
It is unlikely that your C in physics had any effect on global warming. Your gpa and dat scores are out of sync.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, thanks for your input.
Any advice on how to study for the math? I got 12.. sad, I know. Without the stupid math, my AA would have been a 21... sigh

Any advice on how to study for the math? I got 12.. sad, I know. Without the stupid math, my AA would have been a 21... sigh
Get the DAT Math Destroyer and go over it multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see the correlation between the C in physics I and the 12 in the math section.

As a private math tutor, I would go back to the basics as a refresher. Watch Chad's videos for the math section. Practice and practice with the math DAT destroyer until you see a pattern, a systematic approach to every question.

Guys, So I got a C in physics I last semester. I was at about a 79.38 and my jerk professor didn't curve it to a B.
It's a freshman level physics but HE MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT. I got rejected from dental school I applied to last year and I'm afraid my low grade in physics will get me rejected again.
It is my ONLY C in the last 4 years. I've gotten A's in all chemistries, genetics, biochem, anatomy, etc. HELP ME. What to do? :( I don't think I can handle another rejection.
Thank you all!

Adjectives galore.

Well I applied to the dental school before I received the C. I only applied to 1 school (UMKC) which is where I'm from ( Missouri). My DAT was low (18 science, 17 academic) im terrible at math, but I'll be retaking it in June, before I submit my application. I have a 3.6 science gap and 3.8 overall. I have numerous honors( which I got more this year), I'm the president of the pre health club at my university, and a member of whole bunch of clubs. I have 150+ shadowing( which I'll get to 200) before applying and 150+ volunteering. I have worked part time through out my whole college career.
I went and reviewed my application with UMKC and they said that my biggest mistake was not mentioning that I have worked throughout college and some parts of the DAT of course.
I'm planning on re-applying to UMKC and also applying to ASU in kirskivlle, MO, and some out of state dental schools. Which ones are good ones that I would qualify for? I need all the advice I can get.
Thanks.

your ec and your GPA seem good; I was surprised that you got rejected... Until I read your math section.
I'm not too knowledgeable about dental schools cuz im struggling myself, but it seems like your math DAT would help you MORE than if you got a B in physics and had the same DAT. Guess you have some hw to do :D

Plus, i read that you want to apply to at least 5 schools, and that's only if you're super above average and have complete confidence in your resume. I plan on applying to at least 15 T.T

There is no way a 12 in QR dropped you from a 21 to a 17. At best, you would've gotten 19. Just own up to your mistakes and fix them. Fortunately for you, they're an easy fix.

Thanks to those who gave some nice and helpful feedback.
And to those who were 'shocked' by my 12 in math section.. not everyone is going to be good at it. Get over yourself and if you aren't gonna be helpfu then DO NOT COMMENT ANYTHING . Thanks

Last edited:
Your university has some insane grade inflation.
What does that have to do with anything lol? Just because I'm not good at word problems which include mathematics does not mean I'm not good at science or other subjects. GTFO yourself hahaha

Thanks to those who gave some nice and helpful feedback.
And to those who were 'shocked' by my 12 in math section.. not everyone is going to be good at it. Get over yourself and if you aren't gonna be helpfu then GTFO here. Thanks

With a 12 you'd get an auto-rejection from most schools. They have minimum thresholds.

As was stated, you need to apply to more schools than one, because chances are low to get into one particular school for everyone due to limited number of seats and shear number of applicants.

With a 12 you'd get an auto-rejection from most schools. They have minimum thresholds.

As was stated, you need to apply to more schools than one, because chances are low to get into one particular school for everyone due to limited number of seats and shear number of applicants.
Yes, these responses I appreciate. I just hate how some individuals are here to comment things that are so unnecessary and useless. I understand a 12 is EXTREMELY low.. which is exactly why I'm retaking the DAT soon.

You needed to understand how to apply mathematics in general chemistry and physics to solve scientific problems. I'm equally amazed how someone who could have gotten a solid GPA in an undergraduate science curriculum failed to grasp an understanding of how to properly study for each section of the DAT, and how important basic mathematics can be, as opposed to being "stupid." Standardized exams exist for the purpose of leveling the difficulties of various undergraduate institutions. Apparently yours isn't doing you any favors by failing to instill a working understanding of math. Instead of whining about your professor for your 79.38, you should reconsider your study habits. A 69.99 will be a failing grade in dental school. There is absolutely no rounding, and nothing is really handed out to you in real life. Standards are set, and you will be expected to meet those standards. There are tons of threads out there in the DAT discussion forum with advice on how to tackle QR. I suggest you take a look at them before blaming the system.
I did great in my chemistry courses and on the chemistry section of the DAT- thank you very much. I forget math very easily unfortunately, but that does not mean I am not good in sciences or the University I am attending is not "doing me a favor". I am attending a well known and respected University in my state. Our professor in physics is extremely tough on us and has made it seem like an upper level physics course when it isn't. Also, no one is expecting "hand-outs" in life, or expecting dental school to be easy. You do not know anything about me? So just keep your ignorant comments to yourself if you aren't going to be helpful in any way. THANKS AGAIN DUDE. Please stop commenting on my forum.

Be honest, did you study for the math section? Like at all?
No. I was on a time crunch, also working 40 + hours while taking classes.. so I just watched Chad's videos and focused on the sciences and reading (English is like my 4th language and I learned it only about 8 years ago)...Also did not really know how to study for the math section, but hey, I know better now!

There is no way a 12 in QR dropped you from a 21 to a 17. At best, you would've gotten 19. Just own up to your mistakes and fix them. Fortunately for you, they're an easy fix.
NOT TRYING TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER BRO.. IT IS WHAT THE DENTAL SCHOOL I APPLIED TO TOLD ME... so chillax.

Be honest, did you study for the math section? Like at all?

Because a 12 in any section is a score so low it indicates not lack of competence, but almost complete lack of effort.
Right. So when someone fall down we should go and kick the heck out of them instead of giving them a hand. I am thinking you are not a very caring individual, a quality that is much needed in dentistry. smh

Last edited:
Right. So when someone fall down we should go and kick the heck out of them instead of giving them a hand. smh
HAHAH THANK YOU! I can not even believe people on here ("future dentists") are so cruel without even knowing anything about me.. or my story. Kinda disturbing tbh.

No. I was on a time crunch, also working 40 + hours while taking classes.. so I just watched Chad's videos and focused on the sciences and reading (English is like my 4th language and I learned it only about 8 years ago)...Also did not really know how to study for the math section, but hey, I know better now!

I'm going to try to keep my advice light on this one and suggest for now to just focus on prioritizing the DAT and preparing for it properly (that includes every section).

Right. So when someone fall down we should go and kick the heck out of them instead of giving them a hand. I am think you are not a very caring individual, a quality that is much needed in dentistry. smh

If you consider two words on the internet to be "kicking the heck out of them" you've been coddled pretty hard throughout life. I look forward to seeing how you react to some of the feedback you receive in dental school.

I can vouch that Feralis can be a very caring individual. There are different ways to care about others' professional successes than coddling their current perspective on academics. OP shouldn't have taken the DAT if he/she knew there was inadequate preparation, but at least knows better now than to be nonchalant about QR.

I second this. There are dental school professors who will provide much harsher feedback (with the intent to push you to do better) than some of the comments you will see here on SDN.
Weird how you are still expressing your opinions on a situation you barely know anything about... ? stop hahaha. your feedback is literally useless. Do you not have anything better to do?

NOT TRYING TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER BRO.. IT IS WHAT THE DENTAL SCHOOL I APPLIED TO TOLD ME... so chillax.
I'm as cool as a cucumber. Perhaps you should be less defensive and grow a pair.

Weird how you are still expressing your opinions on a situation you barely know anything about... ? stop hahaha. your feedback is literally useless. Do you not have anything better to do?
Please enlighten us then.

Hey @anm2495
I really think you have a lot of potential and can change your DAT situation around :) Also, I think it's cool that you know four languages, I wish I did.
So what are you planning on doing different this time to improve your score?

I'm going to try to keep my advice light on this one and suggest for now to just focus on prioritizing the DAT and preparing for it properly (that includes every section).

If you consider two words on the internet to be "kicking the heck out of them" you've been coddled pretty hard throughout life. I look forward to seeing how you react to some of the feedback you receive in dental school.
I have no problem taking feedback from professors in dental school because that person has authority and give me my final grade. I will take whatever he/she throws at me. You on the other are not an authority here nor a professor. So don't go around judging people because they scored low on an exam.

Hi @anm2495

Don't worry about some of the comments on here as I feel they were a little unwarranted (or maybe I perceived them differently than how they were intended to be...)

With regards to your DAT, a 12 in QR is probably going to flag you, and based on my math I don't think it was the only thing that brought your AA below a 20. But let's focus on QR. Luckily for you, I feel that QR is the section where effort/time is most correlated with success. You brought up that you have forgotten alot of math. Based on this, I am going to guess that the typical Chads + Math Destroyer + Bootcamp may not work for you. I think you might have to go back on read up on things like you do for the sciences.

Hit up your old high school textbooks, maybe some online resources (patrick JMT, pauls notes etc) and drill those fundamentals back into your brain. THEN once you have those concepts down, then start practicing, timing etc.

Lastly, while I totally empathize that this is a stressful situation for you, I think it is important to self reflect and take responsibility for what may have happened/what needs to be done. Try to not lash out at others, your professor etc.

Best of luck, your first result in no way defines your abilities and I hope your momentum propels you forward.

I have no problem taking feedback from professors in dental school because that person has authority and give me my final grade. I will take whatever he/she throws at me. You on the other are not an authority here nor a professor. So don't go around judging people because they scored low on an exam.

If we should only take feedback from people that have authority over us, wouldn't that make you lecturing me pretty pointless?

If we should only take feedback from people that have authority over us, wouldn't that make you lecturing me pretty pointless?
If it was pointless you wouldn't be replying back. Learn how to treat people with respect. There is no point arguing about this anymore as you don't want to understand that your comment was not constructive but rather destructive.

If it was pointless you wouldn't be replying back. Learn how to treat people with respect. There is no point arguing about this anymore as you don't want to understand that your comment was not constructive but rather destructive.

I think maybe you're too sensitive to be participating in these kinds of conversations, so let's try to keep it on topic.

Speaking strictly about advice - yours was bad. Telling someone that got a 12 on QR to get Math Destroyer and go over it multiple times is like telling someone who can't swim to keep jumping off a cruise ship until they can make it back to shore.

I think maybe you're too sensitive to be participating in these kinds of conversations, so let's try to keep it on topic.

Speaking strictly about advice - yours was bad. Telling someone that got a 12 on QR to get Math Destroyer and go over it multiple times is like telling someone who can't swim to keep jumping off a cruise ship until they can make it back to shore.
You are right. I'll keep working on it. smh

upload_2017-5-5_0-51-26.png

Reactions: 2 users
LOL this is so ridiculous. All I needed was some advice on what kind of material I should use to improve my score and idiots started commenting unnecessary/ useless stuff?! Stop commenting on here. I don't even want the advice anymore

Yours wasn't any better. At least he was nice about his advice lol? Stop commenting on here.. ‍♀️

Guys,

So I got a C in physics I last semester. I was at about a 79.38 and my professor didn't curve it to a B.
Thank you all!
Same scenario, still got in. don't worry too much if it's your only C just make sure if you interview explain why you got that grade.

Same scenario, still got in. don't worry too much if it's your only C just make sure if you interview explain why you got that grade.
Thanks for the encouragement. Which materials did you use to study for the math porsion of the DAT?

I'm sure you can find an elaborate breakdown of the Math section of the DAT. Most of the sections are Pre-Calculus or Trigonometry based. I would say there was a good amount of introductory Statistical questions (i.e. combinations and permutations in a level 1XX Statistics class). Personally, the DAT I took had around 4-5 statistical questions and I would rate my ENTIRE math section as easier than the DAT destroyer or any other study prep material.

Thanks for the encouragement. Which materials did you use to study for the math porsion of the DAT?
Organ: Dat destroyer, math destroyer, Exam Cracker (for Bio & QR section), crack dat, kaplan, Dat bootcamp i ended up with a 24 AA & 28 TS