Low sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mowensmike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to overcome my embarrassing freshman/sophomore years in college when my thought process was "C's gets degrees". There is, however, an upward trend in my grades other than Biochem. I currently have a 3.0 sGPA as well as a 3.0 cGPA. I am going to be retaking some classes in the summer and am expected to jump my cGPA to 3.1 from those classes as well. I am thinking about the Paramedic program in the Fall which I think that that will increase my GPA even more as well. I take the MCAT in June 2016 and am wondering if I should take some classes over to raise my GPA. Most of my classes are B- which I did not realize is a 2.7 gpa in anyone's book. So, maybe if I completely dominate the MCAT should I be good? Or should I redo some classes? Your thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think with a 3.1 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA you should be able to get interviews at some schools if you score over 500 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think an upward trend is a good start. Try and finish strong. Obviously try and kill the MCATs as well. Call some schools let them know your grades, I did this as I too struggled my first year in college. Honestly they were super helpful and told me to apply anyway. I know that however, some students who did too much damage to their GPA, were asked to retake some classes. Just stay motivated, this will show in the interview process, and schools will see this.

Reactions: 1 user
I think an upward trend is a good start. Try and finish strong. Obviously try and kill the MCATs as well. Call some schools let them know your grades, I did this as I too struggled my first year in college. Honestly they were super helpful and told me to apply anyway. I know that however, some students who did too much damage to their GPA, were asked to retake some classes. Just stay motivated, this will show in the interview process, and schools will see this.
Thank you so much for the encouraging support! I am studying hard for the MCAT and am looking into finishing strong and still applying this next cycle.

Thank you so much for the encouraging support! I am studying hard for the MCAT and am looking into finishing strong and still applying this next cycle.
Good to hear! Keep me updated!

Kinda on the same boat and would love to get some advice. Current undergrad cGPA = 3.43 with a sGPA of ~3.3 depending on how AMCAS calculates it. Currently doing an MPH at Columbia with a GPA of 3.78. I know I can write a good personal statement and have 6 superb LORs. Any advice on how I should be applying? My MCAT is a 512.

You shouldn't have any trouble receiving interviews with those stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kinda on the same boat and would love to get some advice. Current undergrad cGPA = 3.43 with a sGPA of ~3.3 depending on how AMCAS calculates it. Currently doing an MPH at Columbia with a GPA of 3.78. I know I can write a good personal statement and have 6 superb LORs. Any advice on how I should be applying? My MCAT is a 512.
You know you're on the pre-DPM boards? Because I also saw you post on the pre-MD boards.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I have been trying to overcome my embarrassing freshman/sophomore years in college when my thought process was "C's gets degrees". There is, however, an upward trend in my grades other than Biochem. I currently have a 3.0 sGPA as well as a 3.0 cGPA. I am going to be retaking some classes in the summer and am expected to jump my cGPA to 3.1 from those classes as well. I am thinking about the Paramedic program in the Fall which I think that that will increase my GPA even more as well. I take the MCAT in June 2016 and am wondering if I should take some classes over to raise my GPA. Most of my classes are B- which I did not realize is a 2.7 gpa in anyone's book. So, maybe if I completely dominate the MCAT should I be good? Or should I redo some classes? Your thoughts??
Do you mind sharing your MCAT and other stat and whether you were accepted.

Do you mind sharing your MCAT and other stat and whether you were accepted.
My final stats were 3.22 cGPA and a 3.18 sGPA with an MCAT score of 495. I was accepted and am attending DMU this Fall.

Similar stats - any other interview invites?
Yup. I got denied from Temple but I got ii from all the other 8 schools. There is hope. I got accepted from my top choice so I didn't go to most schools. Did get accepted to Kent, Scholl, and Samuel Merritt. Cancelled the others.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. I got denied from Temple but I got ii from all the other 8 schools. There is hope. I got accepted from my top choice so I didn't go to most schools. Did get accepted to Kent, Scholl, and Samuel Merritt. Cancelled the others.
Congratulation!!, you must everything else in your application exceptional. Can you share that or advise how to make application stronger.

Congratulation!!, you must everything else in your application exceptional. Can you share that or advise how to make application stronger.
So I volunteered a ton of hours thanks to my parents. I have been volunteering since primary school. I started as a firefighter and an EMT when I was 17 turning 18. That has now been 7.5 years ago. I then took my advanced EMT class and have been nationally certified for 4 years. If you really look at my transcript, I got C's and a D in my first year. From my second year to my last, I have all A's and B's except one C. This showed an upward trend and it was unofficially stated to me that they overlooked my first year saying that they understand that I was not in the right state of mind. However, an upward trend in grades showed that I was capable of handling Med school material. I heard that sometimes some schools do not consider the first year. If that is that case, I would be sitting at a 3.6 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I think this, as well as a jump from a 488 to a 495 MCAT, should improvement. After having my orientation this week and seeing the school stats, I am at average on the MCAT and above average on cGPA and just a hair above average on sGPA. It is very possible to get in. I am proof of this.

I thought DMU's averages are 3.28 sGPA and 3.41 cGPA

Class profile

Class of 2020
Class size 53
Age The average age is 24; the range is between 21 and 32.

Academic performance
3.41 average cumulative GPA
3.28 average science GPA
23 average MCAT
490 average MCAT 2015
MikeMowens is in C/O 2021.

Class profiles do not tell the whole story.
You will understand how varied it is when you join a class and talk to your classmates.
They come in all shapes sizes and forms both physically and academically.
The programs can only do so much to show prospective students a snippet of each class.