Low step 1 score, should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peirani

Reaction score
I received my step 1 score today, 199!! I am devastated! Not sure what to do!
I'm an IMG (older) with a PhD from US and strong research background (15 publications, poster, abstract, etc). Not sure if these are important or not at this point! I hopefully will have my green card by the time that I want to apply for residency programs and hopefully won't have a problem with visa! Even if I do great at step 2 and get some hands-on clinical US experience, considering my step 1 score, do you think I still have any chance for any program??? This is really devastating! I don't want to give up but in the meantime, I want to be realistic. My year of graduating is not recent and my score is not good. What should I do? Any advice will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Peirani,

It is so tough to put in all that work and stress, and then not coming out with the results you wanted. I know many IMGs who didn't score well, or failed in their first attempt who matched.

The key question is which specialty do you want to do?

The fact you have a strong research background is very helpful but you will need to get known by programs, ideally build strong connections with PDs or chairs, and do much better on you step 2CK. You will have to be more flexible in the location and quality of program though.

Hope this helps

Its still possible, but I would choose to focus on the less competitive specialties like Family Medicine, good luck.