Low uGPA Overshadow SMP Success? Nontrad Advice Please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoastin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Checkout oldpremeds.com if you haven't already.

Following thread and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest applying next cycle. Start list with your state schools and the HBCs. One year of great grades in a SMP should be enough to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school.

1) Do you think I should apply next cycle, or postpone?
I feel like my uGPA is so low that it may overshadow my SMP success & other great aspects of my application. Also sending in my 2nd MCAT score late (aug/sept) seems very risky b/c my uGPA is already low. On top of that I would be applying after only one year of SMP coursework. (Its a 2yr program)

Suggest BU, U Miami, U WV, the Philly Triplets, Dartmouth, Netter, Gtown, GWU, Albany, NYMC, Rosy Franklin, Loyola, Tulane, Tufts, and all DO schools.

In MSAR look at the info concerning # of students with a graduate degree, and coming from post-baccalaureate programs.

3) If I apply next cycle (2017), what are some MD programs that I should consider?
MSAR doesn't help me when it comes to GPA b/c it seems they only consider uGPA, not SMP GPA.
Based on my current research, the schools that are friendly to SMPs are:
Wayne state, the NJ schools, NYMC and SUNY, VCU, EVMS, Drexel.

Are there any more SMP friendly schools that you all know of?

Thanks!! (& sorry if I posted in the wrong place)[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Checkout oldpremeds.com if you haven't already.

Following thread and good luck

Do you know if the new site administrator took over yet? I tried to join last May and it never got approved. Had another friend who had a similar experience trying to join. She's now trying to create an even more niche premed site...an effort I am trying to dissuade...so I'd be excited to learn this one is accepting new members.

Thanks for all the advice @Goro and thanks for the best wishes @SMGraff . I'm definitely going to consider all the schools that seem to "reward reinvention" as well as the couple HBCUs!

I actually have one more question:

If I submit my amcas app on the first day that it opens with my first MCAT score (501) BUT I indicate that I will retake the MCAT in late July, will adcoms review my application early or will they hold off on reviewing it until they see my new score in late august/early september? Im not sure if this aspect of the application review process varies between different medical schools or not.

I ask this because if some of my lower tier target schools will not review my application until my second MCAT score is received (late august/early september) I was thinking that such a late submission may put me at a greater disadvantage than if I submitted a complete primary application on June 6th with a slightly lower MCAT.

Again, thanks for your input!

Adcoms don't hold your file awaiting your MCAT.

As a URM, they'll have room for you when your new scores come in.

Thanks for all the advice @Goro and thanks for the best wishes @SMGraff . I'm definitely going to consider all the schools that seem to "reward reinvention" as well as the couple HBCUs!

I actually have one more question:

If I submit my amcas app on the first day that it opens with my first MCAT score (501) BUT I indicate that I will retake the MCAT in late July, will adcoms review my application early or will they hold off on reviewing it until they see my new score in late august/early september? Im not sure if this aspect of the application review process varies between different medical schools or not.

I ask this because if some of my lower tier target schools will not review my application until my second MCAT score is received (late august/early september) I was thinking that such a late submission may put me at a greater disadvantage than if I submitted a complete primary application on June 6th with a slightly lower MCAT.

Again, thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if the new site administrator took over yet? I tried to join last May and it never got approved. Had another friend who had a similar experience trying to join. She's now trying to create an even more niche premed site...an effort I am trying to dissuade...so I'd be excited to learn this one is accepting new members.

I think I had the same experience, was never able to join. Seems since the main guy became an actual doc the site died.

I think I had the same experience, was never able to join. Seems since the main guy became an actual doc the site died.

Isn't gonnif related to that website? I thought he was the admin...?

@EastCoastin Would you kindly tell me what SMPs you applied to and which one you are currently attending? PM me, if that's better. Thank you!

Isn't gonnif related to that website? I thought he was the admin...?

I was recently able to join...I think there used to be an approval process that had to be manually approved by the admin but it seems like it's automatic now.