Loyola University of Chicago??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacksheep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to know if LUC is a good undergrad university for biology?
My other choice is Bradley University. The major difference is that if I went to Loyola then I would have to pay more money. ~4000 more a year. Is it worth it to pay more for Loyola?

So, basically I am asking for advice or comments from current or past student who have attended Loyola.

Members don't see this ad.

The major difference is how you feel about the schools. Have you visited the Lake Shore Campus of Loyola? Have you visited Bradley? As a Loyola alum, I can tell you that the lakeside location of the Lake Shore Campus is absolutely beautiful.

As it relates to Biology, they just opened the Quinlan Life Sciences Center -- a brand new, multi-million dollar biology/organic chemistry research facility housing labs, teaching facilities, and faculty offices. The professors are well known in their fields, each conducting research on an almost constant basis. As with anywhere, you'll have some profs to stay away from (Kroll the Troll).

My best advice is to visit both campuses, talk to students and faculty from both campuses, and go where you feel you fit the best. (BTW, at Loyola you will have to take a certain number of Theology-related courses to graduate, regardless of your major. It IS a Jesuit institution, after all.) I'd be happy to show you around if you're planning a visit in the mid- to near future.

Best,
-z

Members don't see this ad :)
As another Loyola alum, I would agree that the school has a great basic science curriculum. I took a few labs in the new Life Sciences building, and the facilities are outstanding. I've had nothing but good experiences with the science professors there (including Kroll!), and I felt well-prepared for the MCAT with the basic science instruction I received.

I don't know much about Bradley, but the pre-health office at Loyola is fantastic. As you progress in your pre-med career, this will become more and more important since you'll be working with the pre-health office frequently during your junior and senior years. Make sure the school offers advising and guidance specifically tailored to pre-meds.

Also, Peoria is VERY different than Chicago, and Loyola is also in a fairly urban and diverse area. Make sure that you visit both schools before deciding between the two. Don't just take a tour of the campus, walk around and get a feel for the surrounding community.

$4K a year may sound like a lot, but ultimately it's nothing compared to finding a college that's a good fit for you. You may find ways to cover that difference during undergrad -- for example, I received free room, board, and a small stipend my Jr/Sr years for being an R.A. Loyola also has several grants/scholarships that they offer to current students who serve as campus leaders.

Some questions to ask:
-Does Bradley have a pre-health committee that can write a letter to med schools on your behalf?
-Do you prefer a big city feel, or do you feel better suited to the suburbs?
-If you end up abandoning pre-med (as a good number of students do), would you like the school enough to stay there?

Just a disclaimer: Because I loved it there, I am quite biased towards Loyola. I'm sure it's not for everyone, though. Just do your homework and you'll be fine. Best of luck!

i don't know much about Bradley, but as a TA for biology 101/102 this past year at Loyola, i agree with everything Jonesie and zipmedic say. the facilities are wonderful, the teachers are excellent, and you are sure to get a fine education here. additionally the pre-med advising is AMAZING, and is in fact i think nationally recognized as such. the previous posts give great guidelines for choosing the right school for you - particularly visiting both locations since they are each so incredibly different. be sure also if you're a pre-med that there are opportunities for things like volunteering (there's a plethora in Chicago) and other fun things to do like extracurricular programs. good luck!

Hey! I literally just graduated from Loyola Lakeshore campus with a B.S. in Molecular Biology and a minor in psychology; I will be going to medical school at Loyola starting this fall (2 more weeks!). Let me tell you that Loyola has a PHENOMENAL biological sciences program. The professors are spectacular (for the most part lol) and you will learn a lot. Plus, being very close to downtown is an opportunity that you cannot miss. It's great!! You have a U-pass for the El trains and buses which you can take an unlimited amount of times per semester. There are great courses in bio at Loyola too. I have a friend that just graduated from Bradley, and she said that she rather would have gone to Loyola. Her program she said wasn't as good--on the same token, it wasn't as intense as Loyola's would be. However, all the work definitely pays off, as a good amount of Loyola grads get into medical school (although MCAT scores definitely depend on individual work and effort---no school, no matter how good, can gaurantee acceptance to med school unless you put in the work). Some awesome professors at Loyola are Dr. Heller, Dr. Kanzok, and Dr. Buldak in the bio department and Dr. Wike in the ethics department. Also, Loyola has a pre-health committee, the head of which is Dr. Jim Johnson, who is AMAZING and is an excellent resource for you to use concerning anything about a medical career. All in all, I'd say go to Loyola. They give great scholarships if you have good high school grades, and you will NOT be dissappointed by the science education that you will get there (the core classes are also pretty good and interesting as well.). I hope this helps. However, I would encourage you to visit both campuses and see which one clicks with you the best---that is the most important thing. No point going somewhere where you won't be happy!! Best of luck to you.