Major Advice -- cGPA and sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm just looking for some input from people who know more about this process than I do. I went into college originally thinking I wanted to major in math and then go into biostatistics, but I realized after a B- that math really isn't my thing and that I really like Biology and really enjoy volunteering at hospitals. Based on some shadowing, I'm certain medicine is what I want to do.

However, I am starting with a really low sGPA since I got the B- in that one math course and I hover around the B+/A- range in my bio and chem classes (mostly A-). I'm at the point where I can choose to either major in something where I know I can get As (psychology or anthropology) and have space to take only the minimum pre-reqs, or major in Biochem which will probably be more difficult but gives me more opportunities to improve my sGPA and more exposure to higher level biology and biochemistry that will undoubtedly help me on the MCAT.

Another thing I have been considering is that if I were to not get into medical school, I would most likely like to enter into biomedical research or an allied health profession (possibly PT), so Biochem might be a better choice in that regard.

I know major does not matter, but I'm really struggling with what is the smart choice in the situation--making sure my cGPA is super high by majoring in Psych or Anth or having more opportunities to get a higher sGPA and study something I find truly fascinating in Biochem.

Members don't see this ad.

However, I am starting with a really low sGPA since I got the B- in that one math course and I hover around the B+/A- range in my bio and chem classes (mostly A-).

What do you mean by "really low"? Your sGPA may not be very competitive at the moment, but a B+ is not a horrendous grade for one or two pre-reqs (especially considering you claim you mostly make A-'s). Improvement should not be a difficult feat for you. It sounds like you'd only need to make a few changes to your study habits to shoot for mostly A's.

I'm at the point where I can choose to either major in something where I know I can get As (psychology or anthropology) and have space to take only the minimum pre-reqs, or major in Biochem which will probably be more difficult but gives me more opportunities to improve my sGPA and more exposure to higher level biology and biochemistry that will undoubtedly help me on the MCAT.

Students have taken the minimum pre-reqs and scored impressively high on the MCAT because they knew how to study. Are you absolutely positive that a psychology/anthropology major = high cGPA and biochemistry major = high sGPA? All are difficult majors (just obviously for incomparable reasons). Also, there is almost no higher-level course material on the MCAT; the minimum pre-reqs are usually required for that very reason. Worst case scenario, if you're concerned about being short on required courses, you only need have those courses completed prior to matriculation.

I'm really struggling with what is the smart choice in the situation--making sure my cGPA is super high by majoring in Psych or Anth or having more opportunities to get a higher sGPA and study something I find truly fascinating in Biochem.

You're implying don't enjoy either psychology or anthropology as far as subject matter. In most cases, it's more difficult to excel in something that you find little to no interest in. I would suggest finding a major that interests you and allows you the highest cGPA/sGPA possible. I majored in literature because I had clicked with the subject since high school and it provided just the right amount of balance for me to excel in the pre-reqs while being involved on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, there is almost no higher-level course material on the MCAT; the minimum pre-reqs are usually required for that very reason

I guess this is one of my main areas of concern--I've heard really conflicting messages about how helpful upper level biology course such as Genetics is on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
remember that by the time you graduate you are going to have so many credit hours that a single B+ in a class will not affect your total GPA by much at all if you get mostly As and A minuses. for example my first semester of college I got a 3.6 but as a rising senior right now I have over a 3.9, but like you said I was only able to bring my GPA up that much because I got mostly As after freshman year. I am also a chemistry major (so not exactly biochem but I guess sort of close enough) and I am really glad that I chose that instead of biology. I think the reason I did well on the MCAT was definitely due to the fact that I took a lot of hard science classes in college that not only prepared me for the material on the MCAT but also taught me how to study for it. Ultimately, though GPA is really important and biochem is a lot of work, but if you are willing to put in the work to do well in it (because 99% of studying for chemistry tests is just doing practice problems) I think you will be glad you did! I am probably extremely biased towards chemistry though haha

oh and well I should say too I go to a public state school so maybe the classes I took were easier than if you go to a harder school with grade deflation and stuff so maybe talk to upperclassmen who have already taken the classes to see how difficult it would actually be at your school?

I guess this is one of my main areas of concern--I've heard really conflicting messages about how helpful upper level biology course such as Genetics is on the MCAT.

I believe you posted a thread about this before. Of course upper-level courses won't hurt you; but if you're concerned about what to major in and one of the factors is course-load, just remember that the MCAT is mostly basics.

Some disclosures: I've never been on an admissions committee of any kind. I was a chemistry major, with a math minor.

but I realized after a B- that math really isn't my thing and that I really like Biology and

Ok, so first off... chill. I doubt anyone will bat an eye at a single B- in a math class. No big deal.

I am starting with a really low sGPA since I got the B- in that one math course and I hover around the B+/A- range in my bio and chem classes (mostly A-).

How far along are you in college? If you are a freshman, you have literally your entire college career ahead of you. More information here could be helpful.

making sure my cGPA is super high by majoring in Psych or Anth or having more opportunities to get a higher sGPA and study something I find truly fascinating in Biochem.

All I can say on this one is that I would have been an absolutely miserable psych or anthropology major. I probably would have actually died of boredom. I encourage you to pick a major that you think you'll actually like.

Lastly, I'll offer an opinion on upper division science courses. I think they were very valuable. I took 2 semesters of 400 level biochemistry, and really buckled down and learned the material. As a result, I basically didn't have to study biochemistry during my first year of medical school. It was a welcome "break" for me during a rough year. I'm glad I did the work in college.

Reactions: 1 user
Pick the major that interests you more. The grades will naturally come after that. It sounds like biochem interests you more at this point. And you keep saying that biochem will raise your sGPA and psych will raise your cGPA. sGPA is very important but it's difficult to see how raising your sGPA wouldn't raise your cGPA unless you're taking a whole lot of humanities/social sciences courses which you should have little opportunity to do as a biochem major.