Major to Minor After Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martyhuggins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I hope you're still having a great interview season!

I just had a quick situation that I'd absolutely need and love to have your advice for. When I submitted my AMCAS primary, and until this morning actually, I was a double major in Neuroscience and Philosophy. I just found out that the faculty advisor for the Philosophy department at UM changed recently, and the new advisor is being less lenient on the credit requirement for a second major in Philosophy. I'm still talking it out with the new and old advisor, but I may not graduate with majors in Neuroscience and Philosophy. Philosophy may just become a minor.

Given none of my grades have changed, and I've still taken a significant amount of philosophy classes, do you believe this new information is grounds for rescinding and acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I just had a quick situation that I'd absolutely need and love to have your advice for. When I submitted my AMCAS primary, and until this morning actually, I was a double major in Neuroscience and Philosophy. I just found out that the faculty advisor for the Philosophy department at UM changed recently, and the new advisor is being less lenient on the credit requirement for a second major in Philosophy. I'm still talking it out with the new and old advisor, but I may not graduate with majors in Neuroscience and Philosophy. Philosophy may just become a minor.

Given none of my grades have changed, and I've still taken a significant amount of philosophy classes, do you believe this new information is grounds for rescinding and acceptance?

No.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

It wouldn't matter but, you should try and convince your advisor to allow you to complete the major under previous agreed upon terms. It's not fair for you to come into a program expecting to complete certain requirements and then those requirements are changed and applied to you.

I remember multiple instances at my undergrad and grad institution in which changes requiring more work would be applied to new students only but surprisingly any changes that required less work would be applied retroactively to current classes. Of course this is institution dependent but it's the right thing to do (or at the very least they should never make it harder).

Reactions: 1 users