Making a lecture top ten myths of anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

somedumbDO

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fellow sdn anesthesia people,

I have a monthly lecture series I do for the group and need your assistance. I want to do a top 10 myths of anesthesia backed w research of why some things we do are inherently dumb. I have a partial list and would love to hear your input.

Red haired people have higher mac requirements
Sellick maneuver for rsi
Gravid women needs a lower does of local for sab due to smaller epidural space
Test ventilation before giving paralytics
Miller blade as your back up for dl
Colloid vs crystaloid for volume recessitation
Oj with pulp 6 hrs npo

Granted this is an abbreviated list but for an 1 hr lecture I can get thru a top ten. What else do you guys have ?

Thanks for ideas

Sdd
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fellow sdn anesthesia people,

I have a monthly lecture series I do for the group and need your assistance. I want to do a top 10 myths of anesthesia backed w research of why some things we do are inherently dumb. I have a partial list and would love to hear your input.

Red haired people have higher mac requirements
Sellick maneuver for rsi
Gravid women needs a lower does of local for sab due to smaller epidural space
Test ventilation before giving paralytics
Miller blade as your back up for dl
Colloid vs crystaloid for volume recessitation
Oj with pulp 6 hrs npo

Granted this is an abbreviated list but for an 1 hr lecture I can get thru a top ten. What else do you guys have ?

Thanks for ideas

Sdd

Red haired people with higher mac sounds like something you find with p hacking. but i didn't read the paper. maybe they have some genetic difference?
Gravid women does have smaller space and height does change. probably not significant in clinical practice..
Whats wrong with miller blade? I use it as a backup
colloid vs crystaloid? what is the myth?

why is trendelenburg for hypotension a myth? I use it all the time, works great til i can fix the hypotension more permanently


But yea I hate the NS myth in ESRD patients in kidney transplants. Our hospital protocol is normal saline. For all other cases we use plasmalyte. Studies have shown that normal saline actually often cause higher K intraop due to pH of 5.5
 
As far as blades are concerned which ever blade you are comfortable should be the first blade you use for dl if that doesn't work using a blade your NOT comfortable with rarely works...

↑
I was referring to sab dosage for gravid females for c/s

Increased intrabdominal presure compressing intrathecal space causing high spinals in pregnant women is dogmatic myth. Parturients tend to get higher (hyperbaric) spinal levels because the larger hindquarters they usually carry effectively put them in Trendelenburg, even when the table is flat. I think Datta's complicated OB book discusses this but my copy is in a box somewhere.

pregnant-trendelenburg.png


i like the NS and renal failure as well as blood with LR keep the ideas flowing...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That cricoid pressure is a myth is itself a recently-propagated myth. There's quite a bit of quite good modern evidence that it works, when done correctly.

Now, whether CP is actually indicated in most situations in which it is commonly used, now there's probably some myth there.

Other myths:
You should extubate on 100% oxygen.

You need to prove you can mask before you paralyze.

Decreased ejection fraction is an indication for inotropes in cardiac anesthesia.
 
Sevo needs to be run at 2L/min (though I don't care about this one much because I rarely use sevo).

Corollary: very low fresh gas flows are dangerous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We always give 4mg dexamethasone for antiemetic to most patients and I always wonder if that's good enough for a stress dose if needed. Usually end up giving 100mg hydrocortisone as well anyways if need a stress dose.

4mg dexamethasone is adequate and the need for stress dose steroids is often overblown anyway.
 
Except in people with true adrenal insufficiency. 🙂

My emphasis should have been on the overblown need for prophylactic stress dose steroids in patients taking chronic corticosteroids. Treating true adrenal insufficiency is different. Steroids have enough unwanted side effects that I don't think we should just be pulsing high doses without thinking about it.
 
4 mg has been shown to have equal antiemetic effect to anything more. Doesn't make much sense to give more if you're strictly giving it for antiemetic purposes...
Oh, wait! The next thing you'll say is that 10 mg of Toradol are about as analgesic as 30, but with more side effects. OMG! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fellow sdn anesthesia people,

I have a monthly lecture series I do for the group and need your assistance. I want to do a top 10 myths of anesthesia backed w research of why some things we do are inherently dumb. I have a partial list and would love to hear your input.

Red haired people have higher mac requirements
Sellick maneuver for rsi
Gravid women needs a lower does of local for sab due to smaller epidural space
Test ventilation before giving paralytics
Miller blade as your back up for dl
Colloid vs crystaloid for volume recessitation
Oj with pulp 6 hrs npo

Granted this is an abbreviated list but for an 1 hr lecture I can get thru a top ten. What else do you guys have ?

Thanks for ideas

Sdd


Thank you to everyone responding to this thread, I'm a resident and find it very helpful!
If you are able, could you please link an article with your comment, so that I could have it available when my attending (no doubt) chastises me for using LR with pRBC, etc.

I'd also like to know more about the usefulness of testing ventilation before paralytics are given.