Malicious premed/med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

Anyone have some good stories to tell? Not necessarily gunners, but just... well, just pure dingus behavior. Surely you know what I mean, whether it be on here, in class with you, on the interview trail, etc.

Inspiration for thread and story #1: I had an MDApps which I deleted this morning (recreating when I actually apply next cycle and have a reason for an MDApps), and on it, I had mentioned how I've been involved in volunteerism since around 1999 that's been covered pretty extensively in local (and state, actually) media and such. Without talking specifics online, that's the gist of it. Not the best, not the worst - just my situation, is all. Y'know, because that's what people do on MDApps profiles.

Some poor soul anonymously left a comment like, "Wow, 'local media!' You're an allstar... at least in your own mind. [blah blah] I can't wait for you to get that 45 on your MCAT" or something equally pathetic. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Oooh, I've got one!

Last year, I returned to school to get my prereq's for med school. After working in several non-profits and landing at a mental health agency, I decided that medicine was right for me and took a leap in going back to school. I couldn't afford to move and go into a specific post-bac program, so I just created my own here at my local university.

So, I'm in my first Anatomy lab, nervous as all get out. And I started up a conversation with the undergrad TA who said he was also applying to med schools at the same time that I would be. Silly me, I thought we could be friends and I started asking him a lot of questions (which he did NOT have the answers to, btw) about the process in general. We got to talking and he told me his background, I told him mine, etc. etc. Then, after about ten minutes of talking, he looked at me and said, "Do you honestly think you're going to get in to medical school without a lot of upper level science classes?" I was shocked, and I simply replied, "Yes, I do." We never talked again and I gave him a very bad evaluation as a TA. Though, I can say it is nice to know I scored much higher than he did on my MCAT...

Talk about freaking me out, though. I was new to the premed world and hadn't experienced anything quite so cut-throat before.

Nothing "malicious" about this one, but I just thought it was arrogant and stupid...a while ago, I signed up for hospital volunteering (ended up dropping it cuz I already had a lot, and this hospital sucked), and I was paired up with this kid from my orgo class. The older guy who volunteered in the ER was giving us a tour of the department and the hospital, and he kept referring to both of us as med students. "Med students like you..." etc. I kept correcting him and saying "I'm not a med student, just an undergrad," but the other guy would just smirk all smug and not say anything! Eventually, the old fella turns around and asks the dude "So, are YOU a med student then?" The guy was like "uhh...uhm....uhhhh" and then I said "NO, he's in my CHEMISTRY class.":smuggrin:

God, what a tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had this TOXIC prevet in my genetics lab group. Her father was an MD, and she kept mentioning it ALL the time. Seriously, in EVERY sentence she said, there was somehow a mention of her father being a doctor (which was somewhat weird given that she was trying to get into VET school, but whatever).

"Omigod you guys, I went home this weekend, and my dad was there, and it was so nice to see him, because he works so much as a DOCTOR, and then I asked him to help me out with our poster for genetics, because I figured, HEY, he's a DOCTOR, he knows! And then he was like, "Sure hon, here's my PubMed logon, go research this," and so I totally got into PubMed just because my dad has an account with them, because he's a DOCTOR...."

*shoot me now*

Nothing "malicious" about this one, but I just thought it was arrogant and stupid...a while ago, I signed up for hospital volunteering (ended up dropping it cuz I already had a lot, and this hospital sucked), and I was paired up with this kid from my orgo class. The older guy who volunteered in the ER was giving us a tour of the department and the hospital, and he kept referring to both of us as med students. "Med students like you..." etc. I kept correcting him and saying "I'm not a med student, just an undergrad," but the other guy would just smirk all smug and not say anything! Eventually, the old fella turns around and asks the dude "So, are YOU a med student then?" The guy was like "uhh...uhm....uhhhh" and then I said "NO, he's in my CHEMISTRY class.":smuggrin:

God, what a tool.

lol he got owned

My roommate loves to pretend hes a doctor. Sad thing is, he gave up being pre-med a year ago after not being able to hack gen chem. This doesn't stop him from interrupting a conversation to let everyone know "I'm a pre-med, which is basically the same thing as a doctor" whenever something health related comes up.

For example, some girl we know was raped. A couple of guys close to her were having a serious conversation about it and didn't want to include him so he said "Guys, I'm pre-med, you need my advice" as if taking physics and chemistry qualifies him to counsel a rape victim.

I wanted to say "no, you're not a pre-med...you're a C- biology major" but it was just too sad.

My roommate loves to pretend hes a doctor. Sad thing is, he gave up being pre-med a year ago after not being able to hack gen chem. This doesn't stop him from interrupting a conversation to let everyone know "I'm a pre-med, which is basically the same thing as a doctor" whenever something health related comes up.

For example, some girl we know was raped. A couple of guys close to her were having a serious conversation about it and didn't want to include him so he said "Guys, I'm pre-med, you need my advice" as if taking physics and chemistry qualifies him to counsel a rape victim.

I wanted to say "no, you're not a pre-med...you're a C- biology major" but it was just too sad.

What a jerk!!!!

Anyway, in my Chem class we have an online forum where we can discuss homework and lab problems. I like to give people the wrong process and answers because its really funny when they lose points...

Hey, according to "Animal House," Pre-Med and Pre-Law are the same thing!

Anyway, in my Chem class we have an online forum where we can discuss homework and lab problems. I like to give people the wrong process and answers because its really funny when they lose points...

Cute. :laugh:

oh my god i met some SERIOUS aholes on the interview trail last year. people that actually make me worried about the future of medicine, because a few of them had (from what they said) stellar credentials and were more than likely accepted. i seriously wish that med schools would plant a fake "fellow interviewee" to weed these folks out - i mean, some of the things these guys were saying actually made me wince.

oh my god i met some SERIOUS aholes on the interview trail last year. people that actually make me worried about the future of medicine, because a few of them had (from what they said) stellar credentials and were more than likely accepted. i seriously wish that med schools would plant a fake "fellow interviewee" to weed these folks out - i mean, some of the things these guys were saying actually made me wince.

More details? What did they say?

There seem to be a fair number of med students that troll around the premed forums just to make fun of the premeds. Seems like a pretty lame past time.:rolleyes:

There seem to be a fair number of med students that troll around the premed forums just to make fun of the premeds. Seems like a pretty lame past time.:rolleyes:

Well, some of us - I say "us" since I'm still a premed, too - definitely do a fine job of provoking / deserving some colorful commentary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't think I was being an evil pre- med or anything but about like 10 people from my biology class never come to class and then always photocopy my notes. I never minded because I always take notes in class for me so it does not matter to me if they copy them but lately I have been getting things like
Can you write darker or with a pen
Can you write a little bigger
Can you write regular and not cursive
Do you add the little side notes because they are helpful
Can I borrow your notes for 2 days ( I mean do they really think I am going to let some one borrow my notes 2 days before the test)

Anyway so this time I let them all copy my notes but since no one asked if we had to know any figures from the book I did not tell anyone. I feel bad but I think they should come to the class and if they don't come then stop complaining about my notes.

Well I don't think I was being an evil pre- med or anything but about like 10 people from my biology class never come to class and then always photocopy my notes. I never minded because I always take notes in class for me so it does not matter to me if they copy them but lately I have been getting things like
Can I borrow your notes for 2 days ( I mean do they really think I am going to let some one borrow my notes 2 days before the test)

Anyway so this time I let them all copy my notes but since no one asked if we had to know any figures from the book I did not tell anyone. I feel bad but I think they should come to the class and if they don't come then stop complaining about my notes.

many schools PAY a note taker to provide this service. You should charge.

I can't stand most "pre-meds". Bunch of grade-grubbing, smarmy, condescending losers. It's why I try to avoid using that term, and am generally evasive when asked questions about it.

This is absolutely fair. All they get when they ask for your notes is....your notes! You do whatever it is you think is best for you, and they live with it. If they don't like it, fine, then come to class yourself and do a better job. I just don't understand this whole culture of expecting the people doing you a favor to make it more suitable for your convenience. A favor is something for your benefit, take it or leave it!!!

you were the one that made a thread about a 14/20 on a bio quiz.

just sayin.

you were the one that made a thread about a 14/20 on a bio quiz.

just sayin.

yes because I was upset. I have never missed a single class, I study the notes before the class and that day I had a test in english and as you can probably tell I am not good in grammar and I studied for that more then my quiz in lab and usually I get 90+. I was also upset because I know I did bad in english too ( we have not gotten our results back yet) I just don't get grammar.

I really couldn't care less if somebody wants to copy anything off me, go for it, but if I ever heard anything like that I don't even know what I'd say. You need to tell these people where to go.

yes because I was upset. I have never missed a single class, I study the notes before the class and that day I had a test in english and as you can probably tell I am not good in grammar and I studied for that more then my quiz in lab and usually I get 90+. I was also upset because I know I did bad in english too ( we have not gotten our results back yet) I just don't get grammar.

any less than a 90 and you should make a thread about it

any less than a 90 and you should make a thread about it

hahaha-lulz.jpg

Hey, according to "Animal House," Pre-Med and Pre-Law are the same thing!

Yeah and also according to Animal House, you can get into law or med school with a 0.2 GPA :p

I haven't experienced anything too bad, the only thing so far is that someone I was acquainted with refused to let me copy their notes for organic chem (I went to 3 lectures the entire semester) because "if you don't put forth the effort in undergrad why should you go to med school". I got an A on every test and aced the class, she got a C in the class, I guess it's a good thing I never copied her notes.
On a side note Ochem was ridiculously easy for me, I legitimately felt bad that the people around me were trying so hard and doing so poorly, I just wish everything else came as easily to me as Orgo did.

I don't like people when they act like they know everything about medicine when they don't. There are many pre-meds who wanted to be a doctor because they watch grey's, but they are so naive about how much work and effort they have to put in order to become a doctor.

I also don't like it when people take this career lightly. It's not some kid's game that you try it and change immediately (like "o, I will try to be a doctor, if not may be lawyer, mm may be mba, i don't know what i am doing). Seriously, if you are not sure about becoming a doctor, don't even try. I really wanted to tell it to my friend, because she wants to be a doctor to become rich, have romantic life (like in grey's) and respect and blah, yet she's a junior in college struggling to pass gen. chem.

I personally don't like addressing myself as pre-med ( I am just a student). Anyone can be pre-med, but only few can become a med school student in the future. I truly wish to be one and I will work hard for it.

I am sorry, i just had to let it out.

All the more reason to attack :laugh:
C'mon, there are enough dinguses to rip apart that you don't need to attack the defenseless ones. That's just not sporting.

I don't have any stories about other pre-meds, but does anyone else have the issue of people acting a little differently once they find out you're a pre-med, especially if you work somewhere that has nothing to do with medicine? For example, you get that 'you think you're so smart, huh?' look. Or the, 'Pre-med? What the hell are you doing here then, smarta..? That's right. Jack .hit. You're here working with us so don't rub you're pre-med delusions in my face.' ...look. Which I don't...but I still get that look anyway.

I agree 100%. Tell them this... they really have no business telling you to improve based on their own opinions; you're doing them a favor and they should be thankful for that.

As for stories of my own, well, I don't really have any stories of "malicious" premeds. But plenty of smug, arrogant ones that have to make it known that they're premed every chance they get.

I'm a tutor for general biology students, and at one meeting where all the tutors were introducing themselves to the "tutees", I remember one guy mention that he was a "biology slash pre-med major". Every time I hear someone say that, I want to punch them and tell them "pre-med is not a major you dolt, and nobody will think you're a god just because you tell them you're pre-med."

Then there are the myriad people on Facebook who list their major as "Chemistry, Pre-med" or "Neurobiology, Pre-med" or "Biology/Pre-med". For the love of God, pre-med is not a major, stop trying to show off.

I was probably one of the biggest dinguses during my freshman year because I was all high and mighty about being "Pre-Med". Then I met a bigger dingus and realized... that sucks (I would have totally beat his scrawny ass but that would prove nothing).

After Sophmore year I just thought of myself as a regular college student enjoying his major and then applying to med school in 2008.

Life is much better...

Why do I feel like this thread has turned into a "How not to behave session." Rather than sharing their funny stories, everyone is turning into the classic pre-med story.

At my school, like most others, we have free tutors who host their own classroom sessions to help students succeed in the sciences. Usually they are undergrads. The tutor for my Gen Chem course usually made practice exams with the professor before the exams and handed them out during her tutoring session. A couple of days before the second exam I asked her for a copy of the practice exam because I couldn't make it to her session and she had the F***ing nerve to say: NO

Me: Why not?
Devil woman: Because if I do then I would be letting you take advantage of me.
Me: But you are paid by the university to help me succeed in the class. This isn't about you, its about me.
Devil Woman: Still, if you can't commit to the class then I don't see why you should be able to have the advantage of the practice exam. If you want an A you will have to attend my session.
Me (at my wits end): You are a tool in every sense of the word.

She didn't give me the practice exam but I still aced every single exam. Yes, she was a pre-med. I hope she's at St. Georges right now...

i have found that, "in general" ,most premeds i have known have an interesting duality.....

they are nice and friendly, compassionate and caring in person--

-whether you see them in class,
-in an activity,
-on the interview trail
etc.....

but behind closed doors, when you dont seen them, most are fiercely competitive, diligent, and ballsy--

-when not in class, they spend countless hours in the library to get "the A"
-when not in an activity, they are thinking of the best way to get promoted in the activity or get a LOR from the coordinator
- right before, and directly after the interview, they are willing to do anything and everything to make sure they get in, even if it means you dont.

perhaps this mirrors the duality of good physicians? tirelessly committed to their practice and serious about their work, yet friendly and amiable to their patients......

I also had this TOXIC prevet in my genetics lab group. Her father was an MD, and she kept mentioning it ALL the time. Seriously, in EVERY sentence she said, there was somehow a mention of her father being a doctor (which was somewhat weird given that she was trying to get into VET school, but whatever).

"Omigod you guys, I went home this weekend, and my dad was there, and it was so nice to see him, because he works so much as a DOCTOR, and then I asked him to help me out with our poster for genetics, because I figured, HEY, he's a DOCTOR, he knows! And then he was like, "Sure hon, here's my PubMed logon, go research this," and so I totally got into PubMed just because my dad has an account with them, because he's a DOCTOR...."

*shoot me now*

shoot me too. oh my god.

I haven't experienced anything too bad, the only thing so far is that someone I was acquainted with refused to let me copy their notes for organic chem (I went to 3 lectures the entire semester) because "if you don't put forth the effort in undergrad why should you go to med school". I got an A on every test and aced the class, she got a C in the class, I guess it's a good thing I never copied her notes.
On a side note Ochem was ridiculously easy for me, I legitimately felt bad that the people around me were trying so hard and doing so poorly, I just wish everything else came as easily to me as Orgo did.

Yep. I had a girl in orgo 1 that was like this. Refused to let people have her notes... "If you can't make it to class, why should I give you my notes" and all that.

Thanks to the crazy pre-meds in my organic lab, we had to station a TA at the reagents stations so that people wouldn't deliberately change the pipet settings. Apparently someone was taking the reagents as they were intially intended and then changing the pipet settings to ensure other people wouldn't start out with the right materials or concentrations. Since we are graded on percent yield, that gave them a huge advantage. Nice!

Thanks to the crazy pre-meds in my organic lab, we had to station a TA at the reagents stations so that people wouldn't deliberately change the pipet settings. Apparently someone was taking the reagents as they were intially intended and then changing the pipet settings to ensure other people wouldn't start out with the right materials or concentrations. Since we are graded on percent yield, that gave them a huge advantage. Nice!

Wow. That is just unbelievably petty.

Yep. I had a girl in orgo 1 that was like this. Refused to let people have her notes... "If you can't make it to class, why should I give you my notes" and all that.
We have a girl like that in my class...she would not help anyone. She missed class one day and asked me for my notes since I am known for helping almost anyone. Given that I had seen her mistreat my classmates and such in the pursuit of her grade, I refused.

I stepped away from my seat for a second and she tried to steal them out of my backpack. The professor saw her do it and needless to say it was not pretty. Something tells me that she will not be back next semester.... ;)

We have a girl like that in my class...she would not help anyone. She missed class one day and asked me for my notes since I am known for helping almost anyone. Given that I had seen her mistreat my classmates and such in the pursuit of her grade, I refused.

I stepped away from my seat for a second and she tried to steal them out of my backpack. The professor saw her do it and needless to say it was not pretty. Something tells me that she will not be back next semester.... ;)

man, we had a girl like that at my undergrad. would have her lab partner do ALL the work then if someone would ask for some help, her response would be "I'm sorry, you have to do your own work". Her research adviser would later tell the rest of the students he worked with that "That girl is dead on the inside". She later would claim that she "decided medicine wasn't for her" the summer that MCAT results came out.

I wonder if the fact that she competed obsessively in beauty pageants had anything to do with killing off her personality.

(btw, what dingus professor grades on percent yield in orgo? I can understand that in analytical, but in orgo? I don't think I ever had a reaction break 50%.)

man, we had a girl like that at my undergrad. would have her lab partner do ALL the work then if someone would ask for some help, her response would be "I'm sorry, you have to do your own work". Her research adviser would later tell the rest of the students he worked with that "That girl is dead on the inside". She later would claim that she "decided medicine wasn't for her" the summer that MCAT results came out.

What made it even funnier was that my backpack contained (and my notes were on) a $3,500 laptop belonging to the university that is loaned to me for use in my research. She had her hands on it when the professor came up behind her and asked what she was doing. :smuggrin: There has not been a final disposition yet, but last I heard she was likely getting expelled at a minimum.

(btw, what dingus professor grades on percent yield in orgo? I can understand that in analytical, but in orgo? I don't think I ever had a reaction break 50%.)
Our premed advisor grades like that. But then again, take a look at my post history and my opinion of him becomes quite clear.

So i met this guy a few weeks ago who wasn't exactly malicious, but he was definitely nuts. I was about twenty mins early to take a midterm in one of my big lecture classes (not a pre-med requirement, just a random geology class) and I was sitting outside waiting for the class before ours to end when I notice this guy frantically flipping through notes and talking to himself. I didn't think much of it but then later when I was sitting in class doing some last min studying the guy comes and sits next to me. He is profusely sweating and practically hyperventilating and he turns to me and says in this demanding voice "Hurry up and quiz me on the time periods before the professor gets here." Had he asked nicely I would have been happy to but since he was so rude I was just like "Umm, I've got some studying of my own I want to finish first." Then he says under his breath but clearly loud enough for me to hear "Selfish b1tch". I just kind of looked at him and he then proceeds to tell me how he was sorry but he's a pre-med and I could not possibly begin to understand the pressure he is under to get good grades. Then the guy actually has the audacity to ask me to quiz him again, saying that since he needs good grades and I just need to pass the class (I didn't bother to tell him I was pre-med too) would I stop studying to make sure he knows all the time periods. Needless to say I declined and got up and changed seats.

Wow, I'm really floored by all this. I can't imagine people go to such lengths to undermine one another. I have never seen that or experienced that at my institution. It's actually the exact opposite. The pre-med kids study together, hang out, help each other with assignments, tutor the underclassmen, etc. We are a small group though since I'm at a small liberal arts college. I guess it is an advantage in that respect. I don't see the point in undermining others because you're really competing with yourself through the process. Plus, there's always someone else smarter or with better grades, EC's than you. Oh well.

Wow, I'm really floored by all this. I can't imagine people go to such lengths to undermine one another. I have never seen that or experienced that at my institution. It's actually the exact opposite. The pre-med kids study together, hang out, help each other with assignments, tutor the underclassmen, etc. We are a small group though since I'm at a small liberal arts college. I guess it is an advantage in that respect. I don't see the point in undermining others because you're really competing with yourself through the process. Plus, there's always someone else smarter or with better grades, EC's than you. Oh well.
You know, I've found that a huge difference comes from the age of the people you are with. When I was in undergrad, all my classmates were my age, give or take a year, and a lot of them (in premed classes and econ) were hostile and also really sheltered. For example, I was in Econ for 2 years, and I did not have a SINGLE friend in the program - despite having a great social life outside of the faculty. People are just so obsessed with destroying the competition so they can make the most $$$ that they are incapable of forming normal relationships with their classmates. Then I switched to foreign language and had a great time with my classmates - we all cooperated and helped each other, and people were relaxed and we all had fun.

Also, I've been taking distance ed courses, and when I go to the labs, the mix of people is pretty eclectic. When I went to my first 3-day lab (orgo I), I was really wary of running into a bunch of 19-year old keeners who'd mess up my experiments. Instead, we had a lot of older people who were pretty chill - we had a married 30+ year old who had just returned from serving in Afghanistan, a 50+ year old Royal Air Force officer who was trying to get into med in the Caribbean, a biology PhD student, a 45-50ish Native teacher from a reservation in the Northwest Territories who was trying to get her science teaching certification....it was a good mix of people and I feel that the presence of these older and/or non-premed classmates really helped create a friendly atmosphere. They aren't sheltered, they have life experience, and funny thing is, their life experience and healthy attitude is gonna get them into med (if that's what they want), while some crazy keener's A won't no matter how hard he tries to undermine his classmates.

Then I went to my second lab (microbio) which WAS actually filled with 19-20 year old premeds, and the climate was completely different. People were non-cooperative, arrogant, nobody would have lunch together (while in Orgo, we'd all go out together as a group, sit on the lawn, and just BS about life), and were just generally full of #$%t. I was just hoping that most of them will be in the 75% that doesn't get in (the proportion in Canada), because these aren't the people I want to have in my class. I mean, good god, these people can't even talk about anything because their life revolves around becoming a doctor! WTF.

Wow, that's such garbage. Can't even say it's them being goofy since they know you guys get graded on %Y (which sucks), and they're still screwing around with the pipets.

When I was in undergrad, we had a prof who graded on percent yield. She looked up what the published yield was and took off points from all the pre-med gunners who made up their percent yields to be 90% (generally the best published was lower than 70):) If you said why it was high (wet product, filter paper added) it was okay, but if you were trying to prove how sweet you were, it didn't fly.

you guys are way too criticial. you guys need to be more open-minded and accepting :thumbup:

I don't like people when they act like they know everything about medicine when they don't. There are many pre-meds who wanted to be a doctor because they watch grey's, but they are so naive about how much work and effort they have to put in order to become a doctor.

I also don't like it when people take this career lightly. It's not some kid's game that you try it and change immediately (like "o, I will try to be a doctor, if not may be lawyer, mm may be mba, i don't know what i am doing). Seriously, if you are not sure about becoming a doctor, don't even try. I really wanted to tell it to my friend, because she wants to be a doctor to become rich, have romantic life (like in grey's) and respect and blah, yet she's a junior in college struggling to pass gen. chem.

I definitely met a lot of people like you described, and while certainly annoying, I find their attitudes harmless. In fact, a lot of those same people turned out to be the most successful, and were merely deflecting their desire. A lot of people use apathy as a defense mechanism.

Bottom line: until you're on the floor in the hospital, you're not really in a position to judge other people's motivations or capabilities as a doctor. Everyone has their own quirky ways of dealing with the process, and rarely is their external actions a reflection of what's really going on.