Marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of you are in medical school, you would think that given all your education you at least would have broken the IQ level of mental ******ation by now (maybe this is just the group of "memorize everything!" med-students). If you are looking to get into medical school, yes they can require a drug test (kind of). They can't require that you take a drug test, but they can still choose to not accept you if you refuse (or fail). Beyond that they can't legally drug test you, unless you signed a contract that allows them to drug test you. They also could have forced you to sign that contract for acceptance into their medical school, although most don't, you should know what you signed. If you signed something that said they can drug test you, then they can drug test you so why risk it? If you didn't, they can't legally drug test you, so do what you want (of course there is still the legal risk, and your ****ed if you get and drug charges). They aren't your employer, they're your educator and you pay them. Medical schools have the same legal right to enforce drug tests as universities and other educational facilities, none. Since medical school is hard to get into, obviously they can get you to sign stuff you probably wouldn't have signed to get into whatever undergrad you attended, so a few schools do drug test.
The reason this form is so pathetic of you medical students you don't know anything about marijuana. It makes your memory worse? Really? Are you that naive that you still listen to your parents who's beliefs about marijuana came from "reefer madness" or was the "lets suffocate a monkey with marijuana smoke through a gas mask for 5 minutes" experiment from the 60s sufficient evidence for you that marijuana kills brain cells. Do some research before you talk about marijuana, the only legitimate studies about it show that it stimulates brain cell growth and that it "has potential to interact with and kill cancer" (I don't buy it, but still, at least those studies were legitimate). Marijuana is without a doubt the least dangerous and destructive drug you can do, so instead of bitching about how bad it is because it's illegal and you can't think for yourself why don't you knock back another martini, it couldn't make you sound anymore stupid. I don't advocate marijuana use, and the benefits are minimal compared to the risk because while it isn't physically addictive it can be mentally addictive, but for students who are constantly stressed out and in pain from being hunched over a desk all day it can be used medicinally in small quantities, to take a break from the stress and get a good nights sleep free of all the aches an pains. For those of you that still think marijuana makes people stupid, evidence to the contrary: scored a 37 on a practice mcat before studying, in, lets just call it "the right state of mind" and a 43 on the real thing doing it nightly. The mcat doesn't compare to the rigors of medical school, but I bet it is a good indicator of where you'll score on the bell curve on most tests. Most people who use drugs have an IQ below 85 but above that most people don't use drugs. However, drug use is directly correlated to very high IQ's (150+). The smartest people you know are almost guaranteed to be drug addicts. Drug use of people with IQ's over 170 is 98%. (Doesn't include alcohol or tobacco)

Members don't see this ad.

Most of you are in medical school, you would think that given all your education you at least would have broken the IQ level of mental ******ation by now (maybe this is just the group of "memorize everything!" med-students). If you are looking to get into medical school, yes they can require a drug test (kind of). They can't require that you take a drug test, but they can still choose to not accept you if you refuse (or fail). Beyond that they can't legally drug test you, unless you signed a contract that allows them to drug test you. They also could have forced you to sign that contract for acceptance into their medical school, although most don't, you should know what you signed. If you signed something that said they can drug test you, then they can drug test you so why risk it? If you didn't, they can't legally drug test you, so do what you want (of course there is still the legal risk, and your ****ed if you get and drug charges). They aren't your employer, they're your educator and you pay them. Medical schools have the same legal right to enforce drug tests as universities and other educational facilities, none. Since medical school is hard to get into, obviously they can get you to sign stuff you probably wouldn't have signed to get into whatever undergrad you attended, so a few schools do drug test.
The reason this form is so pathetic of you medical students you don't know anything about marijuana. It makes your memory worse? Really? Are you that naive that you still listen to your parents who's beliefs about marijuana came from "reefer madness" or was the "lets suffocate a monkey with marijuana smoke through a gas mask for 5 minutes" experiment from the 60s sufficient evidence for you that marijuana kills brain cells. Do some research before you talk about marijuana, the only legitimate studies about it show that it stimulates brain cell growth and that it "has potential to interact with and kill cancer" (I don't buy it, but still, at least those studies were legitimate). Marijuana is without a doubt the least dangerous and destructive drug you can do, so instead of bitching about how bad it is because it's illegal and you can't think for yourself why don't you knock back another martini, it couldn't make you sound anymore stupid. I don't advocate marijuana use, and the benefits are minimal compared to the risk because while it isn't physically addictive it can be mentally addictive, but for students who are constantly stressed out and in pain from being hunched over a desk all day it can be used medicinally in small quantities, to take a break from the stress and get a good nights sleep free of all the aches an pains. For those of you that still think marijuana makes people stupid, evidence to the contrary: scored a 37 on a practice mcat before studying, in, lets just call it "the right state of mind" and a 43 on the real thing doing it nightly. The mcat doesn't compare to the rigors of medical school, but I bet it is a good indicator of where you'll score on the bell curve on most tests. Most people who use drugs have an IQ below 85 but above that most people don't use drugs. However, drug use is directly correlated to very high IQ's (150+). The smartest people you know are almost guaranteed to be drug addicts. Drug use of people with IQ's over 170 is 98%. (Doesn't include alcohol or tobacco)

Amen, I'll burn to that.. Not to mention many of sciences biggest developments have come about by scientists on drugs.

I agree with most of what you said. But it should be noted that there are also recent "legitimate" studies that show marijuana use, especially amongst young adults and teenagers, increases your chances of developing schizophrenia later on in life. So the harmless picture you paint of it is not entirely accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with most of what you said. But it should be noted that there are also recent "legitimate" studies that show marijuana use, especially amongst young adults and teenagers, increases your chances of developing schizophrenia later on in life. So the harmless picture you paint of it is not entirely accurate.

Those people in that study were already at risk for developing schizophrenia. There was very little impact on "normal" people.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos and brevity)

Dope smokers shouldnt take care of patients. Do I need to spell it out for you? Recreational MJ use is illegal and if you're caught you will lose your license to practice. If you're having pause to weigh in your mind on one the one hand giving up marijuanna vs circumventing federal law to persist your drug habit then do something else.

Obviously had a bad pot experience lol.:laugh:

Judging from your grammar and the *****ic content of this post I'm going to guess you are at most 17 and the 43 is more likely your SAT score.

Judging from your grammar and the *****ic content of this post I'm going to guess you are at most 17 and the 43 is more likely your SAT score.

His post is orders of magnitude more intelligible than the drivel you've posted thus far in this thread my friend.

I agree it isn't so bad as people make it out to be, but to claim that it actually helps people do BETTER because one person scored better on the real MCAT than on a practice test after smoking regularly AND STUDYING A LOT is pretty *****ic. Even if you didn't study at all between the practice test and the real thing, it's still an N=1 that is pretty out of the ordinary.

Is this thread really still going? Some people need to just hit a bowl and chill out already. My gosh.

Those people in that study were already at risk for developing schizophrenia. There was very little impact on "normal" people.

I am aware of that study. This is the recent study you are referring too:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21300939

And this is the recent study I am referring too:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21363868

In the study you were referring to, your summary is correct. However, the second study finds young people who smoke marijuana are 5 times more likely to develop psychosis over the next 10 years over those who do not smoke marijuana and this applies to "normal" people too. I think the discrepancy might have to do with it being psychosis and not schizophrenia? Not really sure. Otherwise, really interesting stuff.

I am aware of that study. This is the recent study you are referring too:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21300939

And this is the recent study I am referring too:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21363868

In the study you were referring to, your summary is correct. However, the second study finds young people who smoke marijuana are 5 times more likely to develop psychosis over the next 10 years over those who do not smoke marijuana and this applies to "normal" people too. I think the discrepancy might have to do with it being psychosis and not schizophrenia? Not really sure. Otherwise, really interesting stuff.

I really dont doubt this at all. Everyone who has smoked weed has had one of those moments where you lose control to some degree or another...especially in the beginning. Add a predisposition for psychosis and the effects could be pretty bad. Aside from what I think about free american adults smoking weed...I strongly oppose teens trying this stuff while your brain is in a rapidly developing state. Just too risky IMO.

His post is orders of magnitude more intelligible than the drivel you've posted thus far in this thread my friend.

Oh hej you again. Did you find out about that N-I-H place yet? Ohh wait its peer reviewed objective research that conflicts with what carrottop said on MTV maan so it must be BOGUS doood.

Very entertaining thread~! Thanks everyone.

I really like pot (smoked only like 10 times though), too bad I wont be doing it anymore once I matriculate~. That is, unless it becomes legal~ :xf:.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, drug use is directly correlated to very high IQ's (150+). The smartest people you know are almost guaranteed to be drug addicts. Drug use of people with IQ's over 170 is 98%. (Doesn't include alcohol or tobacco)

I think I just got a little bit stupider after reading this. 99% of smart and successful people do not do drugs and are probably against drugs in general.

I really dont doubt this at all. Everyone who has smoked weed has had one of those moments where you lose control to some degree or another...especially in the beginning. Add a predisposition for psychosis and the effects could be pretty bad. Aside from what I think about free american adults smoking weed...I strongly oppose teens trying this stuff while your brain is in a rapidly developing state. Just too risky IMO.

Exactly. Seems like a very plausible hypothesis.

Drug use is stupid and can compromise your health and patient care. No one in the world should smoke weed if you plan to lead productive, clean lives. There are plenty of other, non-boring activities in the world to keep you entertained... opera, art, classical music, etc.

That said,

Let's blaze.

Oh hej you again. Did you find out about that N-I-H place yet? Ohh wait its peer reviewed objective research that conflicts with what carrottop said on MTV maan so it must be BOGUS doood.

You have pretty much proven my point.

I think I just got a little bit stupider after reading this. 99% of smart and successful people do not do drugs and are probably against drugs in general.

I don't endorse the business activities of Wall Street types or their well-known penchant for doing MOUNTAINS of blow, but... what more is there to say? Oh, also, Hollywood, athletes... I think by our society's morally bankrupt standards of success, you're off the mark.

Most people who use drugs have an IQ below 85 but above that most people don't use drugs. However, drug use is directly correlated to very high IQ's (150+). The smartest people you know are almost guaranteed to be drug addicts. Drug use of people with IQ's over 170 is 98%. (Doesn't include alcohol or tobacco)

i would like to see where did u pull this statistics from
hopefully it is not originated from your bottoms....

If you don't have the fortitude to not smoke bud months in advance prior to and up to your schools drug test, then you probably care more about bud than medical school. In that case, you probably have a problem. Just don't smoke. End of story. Hell, I use to take drug tests for jobs and pass them all the time with certain drinks that help you pass, which can you buy from smoke shops, and not even I would risk failing a drug test for a medical school, even with those specialty drinks. Stop smoking and you won't have a problem.

Marijuana should be legalized, as should all substances anyone wishes to put in her own body. However, it's not legal now, so don't smoke it. :) It's that easy.

carrot.....top........

Man, I don't get some peoples train of thought. If you have a doctor that is great, and you later find out that he/she smokes MJ, does it really make a difference?
The law doesn't make sense in many different ways, and just because something is "illegal" doesn't mean that such an action or substance is bad and should be looked down upon. And just because one smokes, that makes them unprofessional? Why? Because they broke "the law" ? Since when does the law really ever make sense?

Compare alcohol and smoking to MJ. Anyone that has done these knows MJ is the least harmful to your body. It is nothing but a simple "high" that people want. Who cares if a physician or med student wants to smoke MJ, relax, and get the munchies after studying for an exam for 3 months - they sure as hell deserve it and if they made it this far then they definitely have what it takes to be a physician.

In my opinion, as long as someone in a clinical setting is not high at the moment they are interacting with patients, they should be allowed to go home and toke up if they want to. Just make sure it doesn't leech over from your private to your professional life.

Man, I don't get some peoples train of thought. If you have a doctor that is great, and you later find out that he/she smokes MJ, does it really make a difference?
This may be the way you see it, but every patient is entitled to evaluate their doctor in any way they see fit. Self-advocacy to find the best care possible is an important burden placed on those who require health care, and it is inevitable that individuals will have varying opinions on how to do this rationally.

also, lack of thoughts regarding my reply with the infographic on corporate influence keeping cannabis illegal :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This may be the way you see it, but every patient is entitled to evaluate their doctor in any way they see fit. Self-advocacy to find the best care possible is an important burden placed on those who require health care, and it is inevitable that individuals will have varying opinions on how to do this rationally.

Doesn't matter, there will be no way for the patient to know if that physician does or does not smoke marijuana in his/her free time.

Like Carl Sagan, Steve Jobs, Francis Crick...

If the amount of time it would have taken you to create a similar post would have warranted proof reading, I think that would say more about you than it does about me. I can type faster than I can read, it would have taken me longer to proof read that then to create it, why would I proof read? Also, your inability to entertain ideas you don't accept makes you seem *****ic, not that people still use the word *****ic.

For the record, I don't advocate marijuana use, I believe I said that. I just argue the point that it makes you dumb because that is simply inaccurate. The point of the MCAT score was to combat the idea that it inhibits intellectual thought. Most drugs have the effects mental effects have those effects because they are a poison to your brain, that is why drugs make you stupid. Marijuana isn't poisonous to humans (although inhaling smoke is obviously bad for you), and doesn't have those negative effects on your brain. Not only is it science, it's common sense. But not to close minded people who have already made up their minds. For me, I use it for muscle spasms and muscle pain resulting from a hyper mobile spine. I don't use it recreationally (although I took that practice MCAT to prove a point), I use it and go to bed because I can't fall asleep with how much pain I am in at all times. My grades have improved significantly as a result, because I actually get to sleep now. When I was prescribed to vicodin for it I would wake up in a fog and stay in that fog for about half of the day, plus I was completely addicted to it after the first few times so I quit taking it because I don't like being physically dependent on things.

You confuse successful people with intelligent people. Success is directly correlated with intelligence for the overwhelming majority of people. This correlation falls apart for very smart people. People with extremely high IQ's are very likely to be depressed, paranoid, and use drugs (as a result these people are typically unsuccessful, though I doubt they care what idiots,relative to them, classify success as). It is hypothesized that this is the result of dissatisfaction with the world and their interactions with people who constantly have inferior intellect. I agree with this hypothesis, though it's not based on anything scientific. I think we can all agree if the smartest people you ever talked to had an IQ 30 or 40 points below you and the average person you talked to had an IQ 72 points below you, that you would be insane too. The average doctor has an IQ of 140 (highest of any profession). If the world for doctors was like the world is for these intellectual geniuses, the average person doctors would talk to would have an IQ of 68 (70 is the level of mental ******ation). For very intelligent people it feels like they are walking around with a bunch of mentally ******ed people and occasionally bumping into one of the smarter people (like a doctor) but to these intellectual geniuses those doctors are how a doctor views the person of average intellect. Humans are social beings, and these people are deprived of social interaction because no one is intelligent enough to have meaningful interactions with them. I don't think it is unreasonable that these people would be highly prone to drug use (and in fact they are), they want to make themselves dumber and get out of their head for a little bit. All you people who argue that drug use makes you stupid, I agree for the most part. If your goal is to be less intelligent, at least temporarily, it isn't stupid to use drugs.

I can type faster than I can read, it would have taken me longer to proof read that then to create it, why would I proof read?

Because than you know that the words your using will get you're point across :)

Because than you know that the words your using will get you're point across :)
No, it would just make me sound smart, which I don't really care about. My words wont get my point across no matter how well written. With the amount of time I've spent arguing with idiots I've realized that none of them will change their opinions based on rational arguments. If they were smart enough to change their opinions based on logical and supported arguments, they would have probably already came to the same conclusion. The only people willing to change their opinions when bested in an argument are the people who don't need to change their opinions because they've already found the best argument.

Y'all are getting y'alls panties in a bunch fer nuthin.

Smoke weed erryday kids.

[youtube]vnO5bKvYYMk[/youtube]

Marijuana should be legalized, as should all substances anyone wishes to put in her own body. However, it's not legal now, so don't smoke it. :) It's that easy.

This^

Wait, wut? Citation needed.

I've never heard of 140 as the average, however I have heard of 120. I don't remember where from, but there was a chart that reported the average IQ for a variety of different professions. Physicians were in the top three or so.

I've never heard of 140 as the average, however I have heard of 120. I don't remember where from, but there was a chart that reported the average IQ for a variety of different professions. Physicians were in the top three or so.

Yeah. 140 seems a little high.

The most dangerous thing about marijuana is if you do get arrested and then sent to prison where you can be physically assaulted.

That's the most probable thing I can think of that could lead to harm, maybe someone with a bit more imagination can think of something else.

Studies haven't consistently shown any meaningful negative impacts, not even on the cardiovascular system.

The most dangerous thing about marijuana is if you do get arrested and then sent to prison where you can be physically assaulted.

That's the most probable thing I can think of that could lead to harm, maybe someone with a bit more imagination can think of something else.

Studies haven't consistently shown any meaningful negative impacts, not even on the cardiovascular system.

I have heard of some psychological dependance (and I heard this from people who heavily smoke)

I have heard of some psychological dependance (and I heard this from people who heavily smoke)

My little brother smoked alot (multiple times a day), and he ended up running through my neighborhood completely naked going to new york to see jesus. 6 police men had to hold him down while they injected antipsychosis drugs into him.

Many claim MJ is completely harmless. I have a hard time believing that for any mind altering substance.

My little brother smoked alot (multiple times a day), and he ended up running through my neighborhood completely naked going to new york to see jesus. 6 police men had to hold him down while they injected antipsychosis drugs into him.

Many claim MJ is completely harmless. I have a hard time believing that for any mind altering substance.
Definitely could have been laced with something. I personally have never heard of anyone who has literally gone crazy unless 1) they smoke heavily with a predisposition to mental disorders or 2) mix drugs.

Nothing is COMPLETELY harmless, but I would say MJ is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.

your bro definitely smoked something else and if I am wrong then your brother already had issues

your bro definitely smoked something else and if I am wrong then your brother already had issues

This was a chronic issue, and the worst of it happened after he stopped smoking (so no PCP or anything). He might have had some other substance earlier and got progressively mentally deteriorated after that, but I have no way of knowing. He could have definitely had pre-existing issues, but if so I think the smoking made them worse.

As with what someone else said, MJ isn't as bad for you as something like tabacco or alcohol, but everything has some risks associated with them, especially in excess. MJ has been linked with development of schizophrenia, and it is a very real risk even if the chances are small.

I agree that there is psychological dependence among heavy smokers (People smoking more than once a day)

If you are not predisposed towards schizophrenia, weed is not likely to have any effect in that sense. Even the studies which do link schizophrenia and pot are hardly authoritative. IMO, get high, work hard not at the same time.

It's just an example of historical racism that Marijuana is illegal while alcohol is not. Marijuana is 100x better for you than alcohol. You can never die from smoking weed, ever. That's a fact. You are also not likely to kill anything while high (except maybe a whole bag of Doritos). Alcohol leads to many deaths (both of others and the drinker himself). Yet alcohol is legal in the US. Why? Because traditionally white people have gotten drunk while blacks and Mexicans smoke weed. If you don't believe me, do your own research... or remain ignorant. I really don't care.

Anyone who thinks that smoking Marijuana and practicing medicine cannot possibly be part of the same lifestyle is a pathetic excuse for an educated individual. Get real, do some research, and ****ing blow me.

Last edited:

to conclude,
the most dangerous thing about smoking weed is probably the damage to your lungs, there is also risk of changes in psychology which you should be mindful of for cannabis. Science carries on, applicable in all dimensions :smuggrin:

This was a chronic issue, and the worst of it happened after he stopped smoking (so no PCP or anything). He might have had some other substance earlier and got progressively mentally deteriorated after that, but I have no way of knowing. He could have definitely had pre-existing issues, but if so I think the smoking made them worse.

As with what someone else said, MJ isn't as bad for you as something like tabacco or alcohol, but everything has some risks associated with them, especially in excess. MJ has been linked with development of schizophrenia, and it is a very real risk even if the chances are small.
You're kind of right. Marijuana does not directly cause or lead to the development of schizophrenia in most users. However, if a person is predisposed to schizophrenia, then smoking marijuana (especially at a younger age) can speed up the development of the disorder.