Marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh no, I meant to say that if you really view being a doctor as just a job, then maybe you should be an engineer or get an 8-5 pencil pushing job. could be seen as an arrogant thought process for someone to have.

All i'm saying is if i had to pick between the doc who smokes pot, or the doc who doesn't, to be my phsyician, or to take care of my family members or people I care about: I would pick the non-stoner. As would thousands of others, liberal or not. Because smoking pot is associated with irresponsible behavior and poor decisions. And at the end of the day I want the guy that's cutting me open to be one that has made/makes responsible decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

All i'm saying is if i had to pick between the doc who smokes pot, or the doc who doesn't, to be my phsyician, or to take care of my family members or people I care about: I would pick the non-stoner. As would thousands of others, liberal or not. Because smoking pot is associated with irresponsible behavior and poor decisions. And at the end of the day I want the guy that's cutting me open to be one that has made/makes responsible decisions.

While I would probably make the same decision as you, it is too large of logical leap to go from a personal preference to saying someone who smokes should not be a doctor.

welcome to the thread... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
While I would probably make the same decision as you, it is too large of logical leap to go from a personal preference to saying someone who smokes should not be a doctor.

I disagree it's a stretch to believe that any (maybe a very small portion of drug abusers themselves wouldn't mind) patient knowingly wants to have a doctor who abuses drugs.

And I'm 95% sure you're not going to get into medical school with drug charges on your record. If they keep people out of medical school because they have abused drugs, then that says to me these kinds of people are not of the moral caliber or maturity/responsibility to be a physician and have the ability to prescribe controlled substances.

I disagree it's a stretch to believe that any (maybe a very small portion of drug abusers themselves wouldn't mind) patient knowingly wants to have a doctor who abuses drugs.

And I'm 95% sure you're not going to get into medical school with drug charges on your record. If they keep people out of medical school because they have abused drugs, then that says to me these kinds of people are not of the moral caliber or maturity/responsibility to be a physician and have the ability to prescribe controlled substances.

I agree that not many patients would want a doctor who abuses drugs. A doctor who occasionally smokes in his spare time is a very different story, especially in our generation.

You can get into medical school with a pot smoking or under-aged drinking citation, it happens all the time. Also, medical schools do not define morality.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...dical-school-applicants-with-criminal-records

Give it a read. Especially the 2nd paragraph under Nature of Conviction. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. There are too many qualified applicants that apply to medical school to take applicants with drug charges. Applicant A 3.6 GPA 35MCAT with drug charges vs. Applicant B 3.6 GPA 35MCAT no charges of any nature.

Who's going to be picked? B.

I assume you argue this because you use drugs/plan to when practicing medicine. Which is a shame. And I see you're applying to Texas med schools, which makes me think you should be on the more conservative side of things.

People don't need to use drugs to not care that others occasionally do it for fun >.>

I feel the same way about smokers, drinkers, and adulterers! :laugh:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...dical-school-applicants-with-criminal-records

Give it a read. Especially the 2nd paragraph under Nature of Conviction. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. There are too many qualified applicants that apply to medical school to take applicants with drug charges. Applicant A 3.6 GPA 35MCAT with drug charges vs. Applicant B 3.6 GPA 35MCAT no charges of any nature.

I assume you argue this because you use drugs/plan to when practicing medicine. Which is a shame. And I see you're applying to Texas med schools, which makes me think you should be on the more conservative side of things.

Wow, I don't even know where to start. First off are you really arguing that a person without a criminal record has a better shot at getting in, all else being equal. Mind=blown. Seriously dude? Thats f-in common sense. You can ask a 3rd grader that question and they'd know the answer.

As to your other point, depending on where you go to school (if you get into med school?) you may be very surprised with the bad habits some of your classmates have, whether it be drinking, smoking pot, etc. Medical students are normal 20 somethings (mostly) and it is not a "shame" that on their free time they choose to indulge in smoking pot occasionally. It has been argued AD NAUSEUM in this thread that its one thing to smoke pot on occasion, and it is entirely another to be abusing drugs (ie in case you're not familiar with drug addiction, getting drunk isn't alcohol abuse and getting high once in a while isn't marijuana abuse).

What happens if you have a legal medical card from the state? Does that make it only half illegal?

What happens if you have a legal medical card from the state? Does that make it only half illegal?

If the medical card keeps you from having any charges against you on your record, then you are clean as a whistle my friend.

And you are exactly the reason why there are people who stay in jail forever without any opportunity of redemption. Lets be honest here drug problem is a race problem. Who do you think is more likely to get caught and mess up their future a white suburban kid who smokes pot or a black teenager? The system is inherently biased against poor and people and minorities who end up denied opportunity for some petty mistake they did in their youth.
Just because someone is from Texas or another conservative state doesn't necessitate that they must be a *****. For you to just assume that someone is a pothead because they can actually understand how complicated the issue is a not pass on judgments is beyond stupid.

Wrong. Read the thread. My exposure to my brother's psychosis and mental institutions has made it so I don't even drink alcohol. The fact that you even brought it up makes me think you just want to be on a moral high horse. :thumbdown:

God I hate when people are so judgemental...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
TIL that occasionally smoking pot makes you a drug abuser

MJdVj.jpg

People who are THAT critical about drugs are probably people who never went to parties or had a "sheltered" kind of life. I do know of people who shun alcohol, drugs, non-relationship sex, etc. but their upbringing was vastly different from the average teenager and college kid.

lol @ this thread

my god 75+% of this thread are such losers (i'm serious).

LOL.

would not want to sit and listen to any of your life stories/10 (for the majority of this thread)

lol @ this thread

LOL.

would not want to sit and listen to any of your life stories/10 (for the majority of this thread)

I feel so bad that my life story wouldn't be interesting to you.... :laugh:

Not that I am advocating one way or another, but I think that people who are so against Marijuana in this thread would be really surprised as to how common its usage is amongst people in general. I bet plenty of people you guys interact with on a daily basis smoke and you don't even know it.

Since possessing and using MJ is a violation of federal law, it doesn't really matter what your state law is (see the recent prosecution of several MJ growers in California, where medical marijuana is legal). It's fully illegal. Of course Obama said he would direct US district attorneys not to prosecute MJ crimes and defer to state law, but that hasn't been entirely followed.

lol @ this thread

LOL.

Well, it all started back in '87, when my mother dropped me from her crotch like a hot pile of rocks. She picked me up and said, "Golly gee, it's a baybee!"

From then on, it was nothing but hard work, sacrifice, and shoe repair.

Since possessing and using MJ is a violation of federal law, it doesn't really matter what your state law is (see the recent prosecution of several MJ growers in California, where medical marijuana is legal). It's fully illegal. Of course Obama said he would direct US district attorneys not to prosecute MJ crimes and defer to state law, but that hasn't been entirely followed.

When you get pulled over by a police officer is he enforcing federal law? No. Very small chance the feds are going to get a medical marijuana user. Yes, it is illegal under federal law. But there is a slim chance to none that it will be enforced on someone who simply carries a card -- maybe someone big like a grower? But that's different. If he hasn't been arrested or charged with possession (which his medical card will protect him from) then he will be clean when he needs to run a background check for the AAMC.

My friends and I like to use drugs recreationally, but they will have drug tests coming up due to getting jobs, so now we have to use drugs like LSD and MDMA because they are only detectable for 3-5 days after use, whereas MJ is present for 30 days. We all joke about how we are "forced" into using hard drugs because of the silly anti-MJ laws. I'm pretty much banking on my medical school not testing, though and as there have been no SDN people who say their medical school does tests, I should be fine for another 4 years :)

When you get pulled over by a police officer is he enforcing federal law? No. Very small chance the feds are going to get a medical marijuana user. Yes, it is illegal under federal law. But there is a slim chance to none that it will be enforced on someone who simply carries a card -- maybe someone big like a grower? But that's different. If he hasn't been arrested or charged with possession (which his medical card will protect him from) then he will be clean when he needs to run a background check for the AAMC.

Medical marijuana only offers protection only at the state (and perhaps municipal) level. The federal government will laugh at your medical marijuana card and then go ahead and prosecute you if they see it fit. Sure, the likelihood that a regular user would be prosecuted under federal law is slim, but a state-issued medical marijuana card isn't going to grant you immunity from the DEA or FBI.

Medical marijuana only offers protection only at the state (and perhaps municipal) level. The federal government will laugh at your medical marijuana card and then go ahead and prosecute you if they see it fit. Sure, the likelihood that a regular user would be prosecuted under federal law is slim, but a state-issued medical marijuana card isn't going to grant you immunity from the DEA or FBI.

Nowhere did I say you will get immunity from the DEA or FBI (arms of the fed, which I previously agreed with you in that it is illegal under their auspices). Thanks for reiterating your point though, however, it is irrelevant within the context of someone who is not growing or distributing marijuana and just using the card for their own personal use. The federal government would laugh even harder if people really believed they would go after everyone who has a medical marijuana card, it is simply not possible. The DEA doesn't raid people's private stashes hidden in their sock, they raid big time producers and distributers. Like I said, medical card = immunity from the state laws that will actually put you in jail. The DEA and FBI have bigger fish to fry my friend. Don't go to an airport or cross a national border with marijuana and you will be fine.

Last edited:

+1 :thumbup:

Hahaha yeah I can just see the FBI agents busting down all those doors in CA, CO, etc. for a few grams. Give me a break.

If I was making the choice to pick a swimmer to represent USA in the Olympics and I had a choice between a non pot-smoker and Michael Phelps. I would pick Michael Phelps.

If I was making the choice to pick a swimmer to represent USA in the Olympics and I had a choice between a non pot-smoker and Michael Phelps. I would pick Michael Phelps.

Although to be fair, he did lose a couple of his sponsors

Pothead=Alcoholic, Smokes pot=has some drinks... Drinking/Smoking before work your an idiot. Too much of anything is a bad thing unless its a pot of shrimp as my grandpa says. Marijuana shouldn't be legal though, its addictive, you can OD on it... oh wait thats bud light and crystal palace. Do you care if your surgeon drinks scotch every night? Do you care if you surgeon smokes a small bowl at night? Prohibition #2, everybody remember it because were gonna tell our grand kids about when marijuana was illegal and people used to moonshine plants in there backyard and gangsters controlled the industry using violence in many places.

This time is totally different though, because everyone knows pot is grown and sold by THE TERRORISTS!!1

This would make sense if poppies were incredibly hard to grow and only thrived in the fertile mountains of Afghanistan, as opposed to... another weed. Otherwise it seems like yet another disastrous unintended consequence of prohibition.

Watch out, you're making some sense - and that's unacceptable for this topic.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pros trip balls and don't even worry.

...sort of sarcastic.

Don't forget: after you're out of cheese you can toothpaste your nipples to get high.