Masters programs for <3.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radicalpatella

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a sub 3.0 gpa (2.8s 3.0c) with retakes. Obviously, with DO grade replacement gone, I think my only option is to do an SMP or Masters program. However, I haven't been able to find quality programs that accept lower than a 3.0. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Also, I took the last MCAT prior to 2015 and scored a 28, if it makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

28 is below average at probably every school and they probably won't take the old MCAT anymore (need to contact schools and find out). With your GPA you need a high MCAT to make a convincing argument. I'd prob look into master programs that provide enough science courses to raise both overall and sciGPA. Start calling the schools and request information. You need to demonstrate to the school that you can handle science courses. Tbh masters program (capitalism) will probably just accept anyone if you are persistent enough. All the best.

P.S. have you looked into DO/PA/etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
28 is below average at probably every school and they probably won't take the old MCAT anymore (need to contact schools and find out). With your GPA you need a high MCAT to make a convincing argument. I'd prob look into master programs that provide enough science courses to raise both overall and sciGPA. Start calling the schools and request information. You need to demonstrate to the school that you can handle science courses. Tbh masters program (capitalism) will probably just accept anyone if you are persistent enough. All the best.

P.S. have you looked into DO/PA/etc?

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually only really looking for DO. I'm considering retaking the MCAT but I wouldn't be able to until June, which is pretty late in the application cycle for all master's programs (plus, I wouldn't get results for another 6 weeks). If the DO retake policy still applied, I'd be looking at a 3.0c, 3.2s. Not great, I know, but I think I could definitely have gotten into a masters program with that. I worked 30hrs a week and was only able to study for the MCAT for 6 weeks while doing school and work full time. I know all schools have to go by is numbers, but I know that I am way better than what those numbers show. Regarding PA school, it seems that many programs are just as competitive to gain entrance to as most DO schools. I am really hoping to apply and get in to the Midwestern MABS program in IL, but I was hoping for some other options too, as I don't want to put all my eggs in that masters basket, so to speak.

thanks again, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually only really looking for DO. I'm considering retaking the MCAT but I wouldn't be able to until June, which is pretty late in the application cycle for all master's programs (plus, I wouldn't get results for another 6 weeks). If the DO retake policy still applied, I'd be looking at a 3.0c, 3.2s. Not great, I know, but I think I could definitely have gotten into a masters program with that. I worked 30hrs a week and was only able to study for the MCAT for 6 weeks while doing school and work full time. I know all schools have to go by is numbers, but I know that I am way better than what those numbers show. Regarding PA school, it seems that many programs are just as competitive to gain entrance to as most DO schools. I am really hoping to apply and get in to the Midwestern MABS program in IL, but I was hoping for some other options too, as I don't want to put all my eggs in that masters basket, so to speak.

thanks again, I appreciate it.
ahh my apologies. I didn't realize this was in the DO forum. Although schools look at #s, they also take in considering of the circumstances leading to your performance. I think it would be wise to take it slow and make your application more competitive (GPA, MCAT-check requirements, ECs, etc) before applying to a school. This involves demonstrating the ability to handle graduate work, which I think you can do if you are determined enough.

Even though a lot of the programs say 3.0 requirement, they actually accept people below that. I would definitely get a new MCAT score before you go to a new program though and try to get into that school. If you're not sure if they accept people below 3.0 or have a strict cutoff, give the admissions of the program you are interested a call. The 28 is above average for DOs and hopefully you can score something like or even higher on the new MCAT. Good luck!

Hey TimeTraveller, I don't think I meet the academic requirements with my gpa. Thanks for the input, though!
Isn't your sGPA 3.2ish after grade replacement? They might consider that for the masters. Give them a call and find out

Isn't your sGPA 3.2ish after grade replacement? They might consider that for the masters. Give them a call and find out

The application form for the program at Touro explicitly asks only for the recent grade for retakes in the section where you enter your marks.

The application form for the program at Touro explicitly asks only for the recent grade for retakes in the section where you enter your marks.

I'm in a similar situation. I applied to the Heritage MAMS that is linked with PNWU and was accepted. With the new replacement rules I'm fairly certain that I'll be just below 3.0 as well. MCAT is 507. How are your last 40-60 credits? Mostly high or upward trending?

That's awesome, i'll definitely check it out then, thank you!

I'm in a similar situation. I applied to the Heritage MAMS that is linked with PNWU and was accepted. With the new replacement rules I'm fairly certain that I'll be just below 3.0 as well. MCAT is 507. How are your last 40-60 credits? Mostly high or upward trending?

I'm looking at an mostly upward trend. I wouldn't say 4.0 but definitely around 3.5 or so.

I'm looking at an mostly upward trend. I wouldn't say 4.0 but definitely around 3.5 or so.

That can make all the difference. When I was looking, I called a few programs and they said they'll often overlook a poor undergrad GPA if you've shown significant improvement in the last however may credit hours. Granted, these were only schools that I was looking at for myself. I'd suggest giving few of them a call and see what they say.

You should definitely look into it. With that MCAT score you have a good chance of getting in

Hey! My GPA is sub 3.0 and I got into a masters program (MS Bio) after taking the GRE. I took the MCAT back in September and got a 505. Currently, I am prepping to retake the MCAT as I will be applying to med school after I am done with my MS program. The program that I will be in requires me take 20 units of lecture-based courses, 6 units of seminar-based courses, and a 4 unit thesis course. Hoping this will improve my sGPA. God-willing I can complete the program with a 3.9+. Personally I love the idea of a MS program as I want to become a pediatric oncologist. The lab that I was accepted into is a cancer research lab mainly studying immunotherapy. Hope to get a few pubs out :)

Hey! My GPA is sub 3.0 and I got into a masters program (MS Bio) after taking the GRE. I took the MCAT back in September and got a 505. Currently, I am prepping to retake the MCAT as I will be applying to med school after I am done with my MS program. The program that I will be in requires me take 20 units of lecture-based courses, 6 units of seminar-based courses, and a 4 unit thesis course. Hoping this will improve my sGPA. God-willing I can complete the program with a 3.9+. Personally I love the idea of a MS program as I want to become a pediatric oncologist. The lab that I was accepted into is a cancer research lab mainly studying immunotherapy. Hope to get a few pubs out :)

Hey Mountainclimber 94, which program?

Reactions: 1 user