Match can't come soon enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boots and Mittens Show

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This wait is killer. Pretty jealous of all the lucky ducks that already know where they will be after being told they were ranked #1.

How many of you already have hints of where you will match?

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't put much faith in hints. I know of a program that told a lot of people (won't use their exact wording - it doesn't matter) they would match there if they wanted it. That program can't be everyone's safety.

This wait does feel eternal though. There's going to be a lot of crap to be done and it sure would have been nice to have more time to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
was told i would be ranked "highly" by 2 programs, another program told me I would be ranked.

Again, how much that means is anybody's guess, it is definitely in a program's benefit to tell their top 5-7 applicants they all ranked "highly", even when their program only has 2 spots. So like ppl have said, take these hints with a grain of salt.

[...] If you lied to several programs it is ok. The directors will get over it and move on because you know what? You aren't that important. You are just another cog in the wheel which makes their professional lives easier. [...]
I don't think resorting to lying is necessarily the right answer and sets a bad precedent, in my opinion. I think conducting business honestly reflects better on your reputation and, despite some programs' less than kosher practices, I still found that possible.

[...] If you are honest and tell them you are ranking them "#3 instead of #1" it is not uncommon for them to drop you in their rankings. You get screwed for being honest. No thanks.
For sure, it's never a good idea to tell a program they are not your #1 choice - if you're going the honest route you must avert doubt in their mind of your choice without truly giving commitment for the top rank (admittedly difficult in some situations). It's true that the programs are in the wrong by doing that, though, and it muddles the ranking process - it's much easier when programs also play by the rules.

Alright, they have all the information they need right now to click enter and let their computers instantly run the match algorithm..... Why wait an extra week?

B
When I went through this process I told multiple programs that they were "my number 1" and that I would be "ranking them number 1"......
If you lied to several programs it is ok.

This is truly horrible advice. Set aside for a moment the complete lack of integrity this approach requires and consider a true story from a couple of years ago:

An enterprising student told Director A and Director B that he was ranking their program #1 at his interviews because he actually did like them both and would be happy at either. Better safe than sorry, right?

Both of the directors were really thrilled, as this student was one of their favorites heading into the interview process.

Director A and B also happen to be good friends going all the way back to podiatry school and shared their newly found good fortune with each other over dinner that evening.

The student was subsequently dropped entirely off the rank list at BOTH programs.

Don't buy in to ethical relativity.

Too late of course. I only told one program and told them early and often as it came up...... Unfortunately, it seems that every other program quickly guessed that this program was my first choice without me bringing it up. When it came up in conversation, I tried to minimize it but never denied it. This could really hurt me. I will have to wait and see.

Programs should not pressure students to tell them who is ranked where, or what other programs they are ranking.

That is against the CASPR/CRIP terms of service and is unprofessional of the residency program to do.

Agreed dyk343 but let's be honest a lot of programs violate the terms every year without shame. There are no CASPR/CRIP police, it's the Wild West.

Reactions: 1 users
MPII it is sad to say. Any advice on how to prepare for a phone interview tonight or tomorrow morning? I imagine that it may feel awkward interviewing at a place that I have not rotated at or visited and applied to after not matching. I am pretty nervous about it and REALLY want ANY spot at this point.

MPII it is sad to say. Any advice on how to prepare for a phone interview tonight or tomorrow morning? I imagine that it may feel awkward interviewing at a place that I have not rotated at or visited and applied to after not matching. I am pretty nervous about it and REALLY want ANY spot at this point.

I hope you had luck with MPII. I had a buddy who went MPII and ended up getting a really good residency, hope you are as fortunate as well.

This is truly horrible advice. Set aside for a moment the complete lack of integrity this approach requires and consider a true story from a couple of years ago:

An enterprising student told Director A and Director B that he was ranking their program #1 at his interviews because he actually did like them both and would be happy at either. Better safe than sorry, right?

Both of the directors were really thrilled, as this student was one of their favorites heading into the interview process.

Director A and B also happen to be good friends going all the way back to podiatry school and shared their newly found good fortune with each other over dinner that evening.

The student was subsequently dropped entirely off the rank list at BOTH programs.

Don't buy in to ethical relativity.