Maternal and Child Health/Reproductive Health Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

ChaiTea08

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on criteria for strong mch/repro health programs? Or, if it makes a difference to do global health with empahsis on mch or mch with emphasis on global health? Also, are SPH's generally better public health programs than just public health grad programs (I assume so, but don't know if they're exceptions)?

If anyone has words of wisdoms on schools' strengths, what were deciding factors, etc. I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, ok so I am studying reproductive health at Pitt. I'm in a unique situation because I'm getting my PhD, so I'm able to concentrate heavily in this area. I was planning on just getting my MPH and at that time I looked at what schools would actually allow me to concentrate in women's health, reproductive health, something like that. This formed the basis of what schools I applied for. For example, Emory gave me a detailed plan of how I could use all of my electives to form my own concentration in women's health. Look at the course descriptions to get an idea of what kind of classroom experience you will obtain. I also think it is important to look at where you might be able to get work experience in this area while you are in school or even volunteer experience. Look at what faculty members are doing research in women's health- are there many? How closely do their interests align with your own?

Sorry but I don't really know about the global health or which way would be best.

So...by just public health grad programs I assume you possibly mean places that just have like a department of public health? I was told that a SCHOOL of public health with various departments ( Epi, Biostats, etc.) is much better. Also make sure the schools you are looking at are accredited.

You might want to check out U of Minnesota's MCH program. I'm currently in it and think it is a great program with very supportive professors. I heard from our MCH Chair that U of Minnesota's MCH program is ranked #1 or 2 in the country. I tried to confirm this later, but I've had a hard time finding any MCH rankings... seems you can only find SPH rankings, and breaking it down by major (especially MCH) is hard to find.

Here's their website: http://www.sph.umn.edu/education/mch/home.html

Reactions: 1 user