Matriculation Intent Form- Due today but not ready!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medschoolready95

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an offer of admission 1 week ago at an MD school (school A). I already have another offer at a school (School B) that is a better fit for me. I've been asked to submit a matriculation intent form by 5 pm today for school A. While I am mostly sure I will be attending B, I feel like I need more time to solidify my decision. There may be some factors that could make school B a good fit. Is it a big deal if I sign this matriculation intent form and then withdraw a few weeks later, once I am 100% sure of my decision?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it a big deal if I sign this matriculation intent form and then withdraw a few weeks later, once I am 100% sure of my decision?

Yes because once you sign that form it is likely binding in some capacity. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for you to sign it, back out of it, your other school to find out and rescind your acceptance because you broke a binding document.

You don't know my circumstances and hence that is easy for you to say. Thank you for your input though.

He's right. It doesn't matter your circumstances. Put your big kid pants on and make a decision.
 
I received an offer of admission 1 week ago at an MD school (school A). I already have another offer at a school (School B) that is a better fit for me. I've been asked to submit a matriculation intent form by 5 pm today for school A. While I am mostly sure I will be attending B, I feel like I need more time to solidify my decision. There may be some factors that could make school B a good fit. Is it a big deal if I sign this matriculation intent form and then withdraw a few weeks later, once I am 100% sure of my decision?
Right now, all you have is A. Hoping that B might throw you some love is not a realistic strategy. What other choice do you have????

So yeah, Put your big kid pants on and make a decision.
 
I received an offer of admission 1 week ago at an MD school (school A). I already have another offer at a school (School B) that is a better fit for me. I've been asked to submit a matriculation intent form by 5 pm today for school A. While I am mostly sure I will be attending B, I feel like I need more time to solidify my decision. There may be some factors that could make school B a good fit. Is it a big deal if I sign this matriculation intent form and then withdraw a few weeks later, once I am 100% sure of my decision?

"Intent" doesn't sound binding to me. What's the letter say exactly? Intentions change all the time so seems like too mild wording for it to be binding.
 
I received an offer of admission 1 week ago at an MD school (school A). I already have another offer at a school (School B) that is a better fit for me. I've been asked to submit a matriculation intent form by 5 pm today for school A. While I am mostly sure I will be attending B, I feel like I need more time to solidify my decision. There may be some factors that could make school B a good fit. Is it a big deal if I sign this matriculation intent form and then withdraw a few weeks later, once I am 100% sure of my decision?

Just sign the form and send it back. It is not binding. School A is trying to identify anyone who has been accepted but has zero interest in attending.

Things used to be so simple...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Realistically, you could just sign it and then change your mind and nothing will happen.
 
Read the form SUPER carefully to see how morally binding it is. At this point, it wouldn't be legally binding since, even if A were your clear favorite now, you could still garner an acceptance from C or a scholarship from B that would change the game.

If a scholarship at A would sway your decision, there's no real harm in diplomatically saying so. (I'm assuming there's more than a check box for a response space?
 
As one professor taught me, morals have nothing to do with the law. It isnt legally binding and the only thing at risk is loss of deposit.

I found this on the AAMC website:

On or before April 30, permit ALL applicants (except for EDP applicants):
  1. A minimum of two weeks to respond to their acceptance offer.
  2. To hold acceptance offers or a waitlist position from any other schools or programs without penalty (i.e. scholarships).

Is anyone able to explain how it would be possible for the document OP mentions to be binding?